True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2009 :  2:30:58 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
College Update:

Took my first math quiz- got 90% (it was just checking to make sure I knew enough basics to be in the course)
Read "The Death of Ivan Illych" by Tolstoy (started last night around 9pm and finished this morning)
Took my first Ethics Quiz -on Tolstoy- got 100% (Yay Me!)

I am 1/2 of the way through my accounting chapter reading-

Which only leaves Business Law and Micro Economics afterward! I might even be able to be up to Business Law by tonight or tomorrow morning!

How is everyone else doing?

How was the first day back, Heather?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2009 :  2:47:01 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I don't start until Tuesday. Still enjoying some ME time and getting ready for Scott to return (AGAIN!!!) : )

Usually, the first week is pretty relaxed. Lots of discussion boards, introductions, simple things to turn in. I am really going to apply myself and get my GPA up to a 3.5.

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2009 :  7:31:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I could make this be a gentler week, but some of my classes are self-paced and I figure if I push myself now while I feel great and am really motivated, then I can get a lot done and I won't have to do the final dash like last semester! :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

damselfly
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Angela
A quiet mountain meadow Missouri
10 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2009 :  8:31:07 PM  Show Profile
I am very new but I thought I'd add my academic profile as well. :0)
I am earning my degree through Columbia College. Like most of the state universities, Columbia offers much of their course work online. This means my "campus" is anywhere I can drag my books along. I won't even tell you how many days I've spent studying on the river bank.
I am majoring in psychology and minoring in biology. Graduating 2011-12 depending upon the pace I choose.
After this it's grad school then on to med school.
Ultimately, I intend to become an orthomolecular psychiatrist.

Every day you have less reason not to give yourself away. -Wendell Berry
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2009 :  9:29:00 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Welcome Angela! I love your forum name!

What exactly does an orthomolecular psychiatrist do?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  07:33:42 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Last night after I logged off I got the first 2 parts of my homework done for accounting. Now I am working on the second two parts from chapter 1.

I also am 5/6th of the way though my second Ethics chapter. I am going to read the last 2 of 3 pages and then take that quiz! Yahoo! Moving along at a nice pace now!

Then I am going to work on Business Law, then Math, then finally Micro Econ.

From 10am till 7:30pm tonight (When Nora Goes to bed) Doug will be Mr. Mom. I will be baracading myself in my office and working on homework homework homework!

I want to try and get as much done as I can. Some of my classes time the quizes so you can't take them early, so I figure I will get all the prep work done, mark the first day of testing on my calender and aim to do a practice test/review on the day before the test. All the other classes that I can self pace- I am going to try to push as far ahead in them as I can. If I can finish some early that means the end of the semester will be a bit easier. Right in time for me to plant my garden before I get a job this summer to help pay off debt!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  1:11:32 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Okay! I got 100% on my second Ethics Quiz which closes out the third unit. I want to get done with this class as fast as possible, but I need to get another book for the next part.

Now I am working on Business Law and it is BORING! Sheesh! I am having a hard time staying focused! Any tips? I am in my office- so Nora isn't a distraction and there is relatively little noise. I am drinking green tea by the pot full so I am at least awake- if only my brain felt awake too!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

damselfly
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Angela
A quiet mountain meadow Missouri
10 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  2:05:59 PM  Show Profile
Alee-
It is an natural and more holistic approach to psychiatry than what is commonly practiced. While there is a strong focus on identifying and correcting biochemical imbalances, orthomolecular psychiatry is also based on the premise that our mental wellbeing is dependant upon a proper nutrient environment. This type of approach to mental wellness gives individuals the option of minimizing or eliminating treatment with commonly prescribed psychiatric medications. It's all about finding and treating the cause instead of treating the symptoms.

Every day you have less reason not to give yourself away. -Wendell Berry
Go to Top of Page

lacisne88
True Blue Farmgirl

1181 Posts

Chelsey
Lake Stevens Washington
USA
1181 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  2:32:47 PM  Show Profile
Wow, I just have to say WOW!!! This quarter is the HEAVIEST course load I have taken at the university so far. I have soooooo much reading every night in every one of my classes! And the most intense part is that I have pop quizzes on the reading in three out of my four classes! This means I can't focus on a few of the class readings and read the others a little later. I'm up super late every night and have to wake up early and go to class.

My schedule now is wake-up go to all my classes back-to-back, go straight to work, go home and have dinner, do homework, go to bed. I don't have time to do anything fun. :(

In some good news, I just took my first exam in my Physiology class today and I think I did really well. I will get the grade soon. Good luck to all of you ladies taking classes this quarter!!!

Chelsey
Farmgirl Sister #283

http://farmgirlpleasures.blogspot.com/

http://aminiatureworld.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  2:38:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Chelsey-

I know what you mean. My reading load is really heavy this semester as well. That is why I am pushing so hard to get as much done now as possible- and spring break? HA! I will be continuing to slog along. If anything it will give me a chance to complete some assignments a bit before the due date so I can finish on time! This is going to be a hard semester but I am DETERMINED to be successful!

Angela- that sounds like a really interesting field of study! I had never heard of it before!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  2:41:03 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
School related- I went for an "interview" to join a new group at our college that is for Veterans. I am so excited except the President is young enough to be my kiddo. : O

I am really hoping to get a great position and that they utilize my skills to the best of my ability.

Heather

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  3:40:18 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Ugh! Just finished reading the first chapter to Business Law! I hope once we get into the meat of things they are much more interesting that this one! It has never EVER taken me 6 hours to read 26 pages before! Sheesh!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  06:31:28 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I am ahead or up to date on all my classes. Today I am going to work on math. What are you all working on today?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Buffalomary
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Mary
Caldwell ID
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  10:26:29 AM  Show Profile
Today, I'm working. I finally got the index for the book I'm proofing for Lippincott. My classes start Tuesday but I have already read the first chapter of my Macroeconomics book and have my first assignment for the Nonfiction writing class I'm taking, so I need to get started on that. I want to get the index done so I don't have to worry about it though. I have 10 days to finish it, but with my class load I would rather not have to think about it. Now I just need some more contract jobs so I don't have to go find a different job!

Buffalomary
Farmgirl Sister #293

You can take the farmer's daughter off the farm but you can't take the farm out of the farmer's daughter!!

Please visit me at my blog: http://buffalomaryscorner.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  12:26:45 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Mary!

Sounds likes you are BUSY!

Today I am working on the beginning sections of my Finite Math class. I am taking MicroEcon this semester and next semester is MacroEcon. Right now I am on target for my Ethics class, and all my other classes as well which is absolutely fabulous! I just have to remember to keep checking each of my classes each day so I don't forget an assignment or deadline. In the mean time I am going to get as much done on the ones that are wide open so that as soon as a deadline opens I can swoop in and finish it!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  3:20:06 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Well I got the first section of my math done, but I am going to wait to do the quiz until after my husband gets home. All the quizzes are timed and I don't want to have to miss easy questions because Nora needed something.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

momshopsalotta
True Blue Farmgirl

232 Posts

Connie
Hertford NC
USA
232 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2009 :  9:30:14 PM  Show Profile
Well I can pretty much be sure that I had an afternoon like no other farmgirl sister on this site. Our drawing Professor said we were going to draw a nude. I knew something had to be up. Of course this ment that everyone showed up for class. Walked into the drawing lab and there in the middle of the room on the posing stand was a skeleton sitting on a lawn chair playing a saxaphone. I kid you not, I couldn't make this stuff up! I took a picture of it on my cellphone because I knew my dh would not believe me. We spend 3 hours drawing this from different positions in the room. I wish I had as much fun in Algebra class. How are everyone elses classes going?
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2009 :  9:37:58 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That is so funny!

Well my classes are hard, but I found out that last semester I had the BEST math teacher ever!

Yesterday I was stuck on a math problem. It was SO frustrating! Even looking at the answer and the steps to get the answer I still had no clue how they had gotten the answer. So I decided- what the heck. I would call my professor from last semester because he works in the Math Help Lab and is an awesome guy. He always helps and always explains it right! So I called him and read him the problem. He helped me work through it ad I realized I was trying to solve further than the answer was asking for- no wonder I wasn't understanding the problem. So afterwards I emailed him warning him I might be calling asking for help and he replied with "I got your back!" He is awesome. I really appreciate his humor and good nature- not to mention his "layman's" way of explaining things.

I am feeling pretty confident in my classes and I can do more work in my accounting tomorrow. I am going to try to finish reading my BLaw Chapter 3 tomorrow morning and get another section done! Yay!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Buffalomary
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Mary
Caldwell ID
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2009 :  9:46:29 PM  Show Profile
Okay, I survived the first week! lol

My math teacher this semester is awesome. He has already showed me some basic stuff that neither other instructor did - and it makes sense!!

We will be play Monopoly in my Acct class and filling out the various spreadsheets with our "game stuff".

I have a 10-14 pg essay to research and write for my Nonfiction writing class as well as a 4-5 page report to write for Economics, topic of my choice, sooooo two reports from the same research! hehehehe Got to love it!! Both reports will have slightly different angle, but I can still use the same info for both.

And, of course, I saved the best for last. OMG, my biology teacher got my poor old heart going so pitter patter. He walked in wearing a honest-to-goodness Western shirt with long sleeves and snaps (very uncommon on campus) and blue jeans and had a Sam Elliott type mustache. In fact, he said he felt like Sam Elliott. He said he was cutting it off (oh, horrors! no don't do that) but he had grown it because he lost a bet.

So I think that wraps up the first week. I probably won't be here too often, as the homework will start to get a little more intense. The research won't come to me and I have a lot more reading to do compared to last semester. But overall I am feeling much better about this semester than I did a couple weeks ago. All of my instructors, used humor (very lacking last semester) when teaching and kept the class very engaged in what was going on (also lacking last semester).

Hopefully everyone else is off to a great start! Good luck, everyone!

Buffalomary
Farmgirl Sister #293

You can take the farmer's daughter off the farm but you can't take the farm out of the farmer's daughter!!

Please visit me at my blog: http://buffalomaryscorner.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2009 :  10:16:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That is awesome Mary!

I have contacted my math professor from last semester twice now for help! He is awesome! If you get a good one cultivate a good working relationship so you can call him/her for help in the future too!

I am so glad you are feeling better about it. I am feeling very good about the semester as well. But tomorrow is going to be another big study day!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2009 :  08:28:41 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
How is everyone doing? I am working on Math today.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2009 :  08:59:17 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I am trying to get the house cleaned up so I can work on one of my projects. Usually, I do all my housework for 2 hours, take a lunch break and then jump in. Working on a management project right now.

Heather

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2009 :  09:14:12 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Doug took a day off work so I am getting a day of full work on school! Yay!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2009 :  10:00:48 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
YEE! Things have been crazy here! I got some homework handed in just under the wire today. I hate that feeling. Tomorrow I have some cleaning to do but then right back to the books! I have a few minor quizes coming up that have started looming in my mind like major exams! Time to get the work done and say "see ya!" to the stress!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Across the Fence: Previous Topic C O L L E G E Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page