Page: of 5

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2008 :  4:18:31 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Clucking Overachievers Leading Learning Educating Goal Experts

Ok all you college or student farmgals- here is the thread to post your ups and down, questions, quandries, complaints and just chat about college and learning!!! : )

Let's keep each other accountable. Great topics could include how to NOT go into debt to go to school, balancing college and life, goals, etc.

Let's Start with the basics:

Where do you go to school?
Major/Minor/Year in School?
Future Goals?

Me FIRST!!! : )

Texas State University, San Marcos, Texas
Health Information Management, ONLINE
Graduating 2009 with my BS in HIM
Future- Dual Masters MBA/MPH

YEE HAW!!!!

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

LauraH
True Blue Farmgirl

305 Posts

Laura
North Creek New York
USA
305 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2008 :  5:20:12 PM  Show Profile
Ok.
I have a Business degree major in Culinary Arts minor in Nutrition
from Paul Smiths College, NY
Now
I am taking classes Adirondack Community College,NY to fill "gaps" for a liberal arts degree to transfer to Fall 09(?) Skidmore College or SUNY Plattsburgh for Elementary Teaching Grades 1-6 but with a minor in Birth to grade 2
NY is extremely strict on the requirements for Teaching so after I FINALLY receive the bachelor's degree I have to pass 3 state tests and then I can get a job BUT must complete my masters within 5 years State law

Oh Yeah..I work full time at school here in town as a certified teacher's assistant which will change when I go full time for my BA (can't fit it all in)
and am a single mom with 2 daughters, a house to run, pets, chickens, .....
;-0 Laura

http://cottagekids-laura.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

RachelLeigh
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

Rachel
Rainier WA
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2008 :  6:02:46 PM  Show Profile
I'm a little late on the "how not to go into debt" part. When I graduate, I'll have enough in college debt to rival the purchase of a house. And it will be financed out for just as long! But I'm already making more money than I was so I do believe my Masters will pay off!

FARMGIRL SISTER #127
My sites:
Backwoods Junction: http://www.backwoodsjunction.com
The Catholic Wife: http://www.thecatholicwife.com

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2008 :  6:57:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Gals!

I am currently attending Montana State University in Billings Mt.

The Question about what year I am is debatable as I have transferred twice and I am still waiting for my transcript to catch up with me.

I working towards an accounting major and I think I am really close to my Junior year.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Buffalomary
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Mary
Caldwell ID
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2008 :  7:03:09 PM  Show Profile
Me next!!

I am a Boise State University Bronco!!  Yeah! Go Broncos!!! I have most of my classes on campus, but occasionally have a class online. I enjoy the interaction with the other students and have many friends now that I wouldn't have otherwise.

Major: Bachelor in Health Science, general emphasis.
Minor: Management, Entrepreneurial.
Projected finish: May 2012 (however, I ran across a master that I am finding very tempting!)

I'm a nontraditional student, in my 50's, and doing everything backwards - Army, marriage, raising kids and then go to college! I figure I will start to pay back my student loans about the same time I qualify for Social Security!!   

My ultimate goal is to develop my own company that will write and develop continuing education for various allied health professionals as well as continue my work with textbook publishers in creating new textbooks. 

Buffalomary
Farmgirl Sister #293

You can take the farmer's daughter off the farm but you can't take the farm out of the farmer's daughter!!

Please visit me at my blog: http://buffalomaryscorner.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

momshopsalotta
True Blue Farmgirl

232 Posts

Connie
Hertford NC
USA
232 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2008 :  7:10:53 PM  Show Profile
I am a senior (in more ways than one) at Elizabeth City State Univesity. I will graduate in May 09 with a BA in studio art. I hope to begin my masters in Fall in a totally different subject...women & gender studies. I have been a college senior for 32 years! I was a senior in college in 1976, took a 30 year break and I am still a senior. Should'nt I get an award or something? I'm trying to graduate Summa Cum Laude and need a 3.8 G.P.A.. It's cuirrently 3.804 so I'm holding on by the skin of my teeth. I need help with my Medievel Art history test tomorrow. I'm so tired of studying that my eyes are rolling around in my head.HELP!!!
Go to Top of Page

lacisne88
True Blue Farmgirl

1181 Posts

Chelsey
Lake Stevens Washington
USA
1181 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2008 :  11:59:53 PM  Show Profile
I am a Junior at the University of Washington in Seattle.

I am a double-major in Spanish and Psychology.

I hope to get a BA in Spanish and a BS in Psych by the end of my fifth year here!

I am going through my finals right now and I have been STRESSED!

Chelsey
Farmgirl Sister #283

http://farmgirlpleasures.blogspot.com/

http://aminiatureworld.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2008 :  03:37:09 AM  Show Profile
I graduated in 1994 from Kent State with a BS in Education.

After working just summers back then, I was able to stretch about 600.00 and make it last 9 months. Last 2 semesters I worked on campus.

For those who can balance it, I recommend working. The little bit of extra mad money is worth it even if it's just a few hours a week.

Also, if you must buy food, go generic, see if there is an Aldi nearby, go in with some friends a few times a week and make group meals, NEVER bypass free grub!

Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2008 :  06:10:15 AM  Show Profile
I did my bachelors degree straight out of high school in the early 90s, but I was just a messed up kid and had no career plans. What can you do with an English Lit degree? So now I'm thinking about going back to school, but I don't know how to afford it or what to go for. Should I get a masters in history (I've always wanted to work at a museum)? Would it be worth the huge sacrifice of time and money? I just don't know. I'd like to have children at some point, too. ;) So I'll be watching this topic for inspiration, tips, etc.
Go to Top of Page

LauraH
True Blue Farmgirl

305 Posts

Laura
North Creek New York
USA
305 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2008 :  6:13:27 PM  Show Profile
Amie,
If you can decide before you have children all the better. It is incredibly hard to raise kids and go to school at the same time.
Hope this helps
but don't rush it, for all that college costs these days, you need to make sure you know what you want

http://cottagekids-laura.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lacisne88
True Blue Farmgirl

1181 Posts

Chelsey
Lake Stevens Washington
USA
1181 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2008 :  7:25:36 PM  Show Profile
Good luck to every one studying for finals right now! It is finals week at my university this week and all my sorority sisters have been studying like crazy! My last final is on Wednesday and then I'm free!!! Lol! At least until winter break is over...

Chelsey
Farmgirl Sister #283

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2008 :  7:51:56 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I have four more chapters of Psychology to do and while I find it fascinating, I think my professor has a diabolical mind. Some of the questions really are worded in very misleading ways on the tests. I am so looking forward to the end of this class where I can sit down and re-read the text and actually get more out of it.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

lacisne88
True Blue Farmgirl

1181 Posts

Chelsey
Lake Stevens Washington
USA
1181 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2008 :  8:19:19 PM  Show Profile
Ugh! That drives me crazy! I REALLY don't like misleading and/or "trick" questions. I think that professors should ask straightforward questions. I don't understand why they feel it neccesary to trick the students on exams. It's really stressful! I am studying for Psychology right now also.

What Psych are you taking Alee?

Chelsey
Farmgirl Sister #283

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2008 :  9:08:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Chelsey! It is just a 100 level class, but much more in-depth than any 100 level class I have ever taken! I was expecting the broad over-view type class and this one has us reading about 140 pages every week. The book is interesting but sometimes it gets pretty technical. I just took a test on two chapters and got an 85%. I am pretty pleased since I just skimmed the two chapters. I have two more chapters to read and test on before Thursday to finish out the class. That will be SOOO nice. I really want to read the book over Christmas vacation without time limits and stress because I think I will really like it. LOL

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

lacisne88
True Blue Farmgirl

1181 Posts

Chelsey
Lake Stevens Washington
USA
1181 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2008 :  12:02:47 AM  Show Profile
That's great Alee! Yeah, my Psych 101 class was really in-depth as well. There is quite a lot of information to cover! Right now I am taking a Biological Psychology class and it is sooo intense for me as well! It is very technical and talks about neurons and brain pathways and things like that. I can tell that I do not want to be a neuroscientist lol!

I completely agree that the Psych books are interesting, but it is hard to stay interested in them while you are reading them for a grade...and when you are stressed about tests! That's a good idea to go back and read over it after classes are finished! Good luck with your test(s)!!! My last one is Wednesday luckily!!

Chelsey
Farmgirl Sister #283

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2008 :  06:03:13 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I have a math test I need to re-do, I have about 3 more chapters in my history book to read and then take reading quizes on, and then I need to do another test on the psychology. Oh and I have a test to take in Research as well. I think I am going to call a friend and ask if she can watch Nora today or tomorrow so I can get some of these done.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2008 :  06:43:34 AM  Show Profile
Even though I graduated from College in the Mid 80's I agree with Anna - work if you can during the summer and sock away as much as possible to use during the school year. Also if you have a work study program at your college/university look into that. I was a lab technician for the photo lab at Portland State University. All I had to do was open the lab, set up the chemicals and occasionally answer a question - during the rest of the time I was there I could study. I did that twice a week and was paid very nicely by a grant program. Money came in handy.

Anne in Portland, OR

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them" Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2008 :  07:11:16 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Well, I just finished my Research final. She gave us 4 hours, and it took me one hour to complete 23 questions. A lot of it was going and finding things on the internet. I think I did well though.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

LauriP
True Blue Farmgirl

239 Posts

Laurianne
Hertford North Carolina
USA
239 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2008 :  07:20:26 AM  Show Profile
~~~ Yup ~~~ Been there, done that!!

I went to a couple schools Wayy back in the 70's, but never finished. I was a Theatre major, an' livin' near LA -- le's think about this..how many people are doing the same thing? Big Break? Nope -- I was broke w/ too many bills from college.

Skip forward to the 80's -- while the husband Tom was in the navy, I found a great opportunity to go back to school to finish my BA. I went in, did the 23.425 pages of "Please Fill This Out", an' when our youngest was 6 Mo's old, I started in on my double major of History & Political Science.

Yes -- there are part-time jobs to help with the costs of classes. Most schools will help with finding anybody something, so don't look a gift horse in the mouth if something falls in your lap. I was fortunate enuf to get an Internship at Mystic Seaport Museum in Mystic Conn. - that led to a part-time job after the class was done. Even tho it was temp, boy oh boy did it help with costs. Esp. with a baby, an' one in school. Tom was at Sea 90% of the time, so I relied on neighbors an' their daughters for babysitters. Look for help, too, at the college bookstore. Usually there is somebody advertising for used books (grab them!!) used furniture, dishes they may not want anymore. The list goes on & on.

Let me know any other things that maybe you need help with. I probably had the same dilemna!! I did graduate w/a 3.58 GPA W/ the double major..used it in a couple jobs, but a History Major isn't something a lot of employers I've come across really want. tha's a whole other story!!

Lauri
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2008 :  07:42:47 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Hey Laurianne, I LOVE Mystic Seaport...shesh, we probably crossed paths at some time. When were you there???

Heather

Go to Top of Page

LauriP
True Blue Farmgirl

239 Posts

Laurianne
Hertford North Carolina
USA
239 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2008 :  10:24:54 AM  Show Profile
My internship was in '87 -- I worked all over the place!! The best thing to come out of the class, was that I got to work in the Shipyard...learned to paint/sand/refinish the boats that were in the water. I was constantly a Mess!!, but jus' loved the crew I worked with.

The best thing was to see some of the Very Wealthy people who came to visit. One winter morning while I was working in the Visitor Center, a group came in, and Honest & For-Real, all the women were wearing Full Length Fur Coats. Ya think I felt out of place??!! jeesh...

Lauri -- P.S. - Heather, were you stationed up there? - o - the hubby?
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2008 :  11:01:50 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I grew up in Uncasville (just up the road from Groton and Mystic)and lived there for the first 21 years of my life and yes, women in FURS is very typical of CT and I can say that because know PLENTY of woman like that...it is fun!!!

Heather

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2008 :  11:19:12 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
My goal is to get my history done tonight so tomorrow I can concentrate on math. Then I will have Thursday and Friday to finish Psychology and then I am done! I am so glad to have the Research class behind me!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

momshopsalotta
True Blue Farmgirl

232 Posts

Connie
Hertford NC
USA
232 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2008 :  2:07:17 PM  Show Profile
2 out of three finals completed. All that's left is the Printmaking presentation Wednesday at 10. I spend most of the day up to my elbows in permanent blue etching ink. Despite the gloves (which I get frustrated with and rip off), my hands, wrist and forearms are stained bright blue. My fingernails which are pretty long look gross. They will come off tonight. The best thing I did lately was after I returned my college rental books I went to the local library and rented four entertaining novels. It's going to be such a joy to relax and really enjoy a mindless diversion just to enjoy.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2008 :  2:28:17 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Connie- I know what you mean! I am looking forward to guilt free crafting and play with Nora time!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Buffalomary
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Mary
Caldwell ID
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2008 :  4:10:38 PM  Show Profile
I have my final lab exam in A&P on Thursday, Chem 101 next Monday, A&P lecture exam on Wednesday and college algebra on Thursday, then I'm done for this semester!! Yeah!! Maybe I can get my desk cleaned off then and see what it looks like without all the papers and books stacked on it!!

Buffalomary
Farmgirl Sister #293

You can take the farmer's daughter off the farm but you can't take the farm out of the farmer's daughter!!

Please visit me at my blog: http://buffalomaryscorner.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Across the Fence: Previous Topic C O L L E G E Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page