Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Sewing homemade felt--heavy duty thread or...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Sewing homemade felt--heavy duty thread or... Next Topic  

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2008 :  08:56:02 AM  Show Profile
a smaller yarn? I am making some gifty type items for co-workers and gift exchanges out of felt that I've made with sweaters from the thrift. I was just curious what others do--do you sew with a heavy duty coat thread, or do you sew with wool in your felting. This isn't for decorative stitching, but rather to hold the thing together :)

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2008 :  10:28:51 AM  Show Profile
You can use either. Most of the time I use yarn and do a blanket stitch to seam my felts together.

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

The people who make a difference in your life are NOT the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones who care.
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2008 :  11:41:02 AM  Show Profile
It depends on if I'm sewing on the machine or not. On the machine I use a regular old polyester or cotton type thread, a heavier topstitching type thread and needle. By hand, I will use either that or yarn depending on the look I want. My fancy new machine doesn't like to sew felt much but my old 1954 Singer plows through it like butter.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
http://farmhouseflair.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2008 :  12:05:54 PM  Show Profile
Thanks...I'll be hand stitching because I'm still too much of a chicken to get my new sewing machine out of the box! I just prefer to hand stitch, and I guess I'm pretty good at it by now :)

Again, thanks!
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Sewing homemade felt--heavy duty thread or... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page