Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Cleaning Up
 Time of Year to tend to the wood.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Time of Year to tend to the wood. Next Topic  

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2008 :  5:26:58 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I was dusting and oiling my mom's furniture today and it got me to thinking.

Fall/Winter is a perfect time to really tend to our beloved wood items. The atmosphere in our houses change. Humidity levels fluctuate due to dry heated air and snow melting from snow boots in the hall!

Dry winter air can be really tough on wood, especially antiques. Now is a good time to give finished wood a good bath to clean the dull dust from the crevices. Use skin-temperature water with a mild soap. You don't need much soap as you just need to break the surface tension of the water. Dip a soft cloth into the water and wring it mostly dry. Use a tooth brush or a paint brush to get cracks and crevices. Wipe dry with a dry towel if needed.

For furniture that has an oil finish or isn't finished, you can use a commercial furniture oil or you can make your own. Lemon Essential oil, Olive Oil and beeswax make a great combination. Lightly oil a soft cloth and rub into the wood until the rag does not get any dirtier. Let the oil absorb for 10-15 minutes. Return and buff to a shine with an absorbent soft cloth. This will keep your furniture from being greasy, but will leave enough of the oil/wax behind to nourish the wood and protect it.

If your wood is looking dry, you have let your wood go to long without tending to it's needs. Once a tree is cut and dried, the wood relies on us to supply the moisture needed to help preserve it.

Just some things that occurred to me as I was cleaning today! :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2008 :  5:55:42 PM  Show Profile
Can you come do mine? Actually I did that last week.. You are right Alee... We treat it well it lasts for years.

http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/

Cheryl #309
Farm girl sister

Enjoy the little things in life....someday you'll look back and realize they were the big things.
Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2008 :  5:59:08 PM  Show Profile
Alee, What a good reminder. With getting ready for the holidays an all I hadn't even thought of it. Thank you for the nudge.

I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalms 34:1
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2008 :  7:42:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Cheryl- Actually taking care of wood is one of my favorite chores. I think that is why I always try to help my mom out with dusting when I come home! Seeing the thirsty wood soak up the oil and the beautiful glow from within is so nice! It really makes me happy!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Time of Year to tend to the wood. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page