CathyM
True Blue Farmgirl

344 Posts

Cathy
Tulsa OK
USA
344 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2006 :  10:10:48 AM  Show Profile
Along with my Shepard's pie, which was a great success, I made what I called "Mexican meat pie". I had left over taco meat but not enough, so I had to improvise. I took a can of chick peas and a can of dark red kidney beans. Boiled them till the kidney beans cracked open, drained them, peeled off the chick pea skins, added a package of taco seasoning, a bit of water and then mashed them till they kind of looked like refried beans. Surprisingly they tasted just like taco meat. Added it all in a fry pan with minced onion, garlic, red and green peppers, a can of organic stewed tomatoes and the small amount of taco meat I did have and then put it all in a pie shell with a top baked it till the top of the dough became browned. Then served it with shredded cheese and sour cream. OH dear the family loved it. I have to make it again, only this time without the meat I'll just use the chick peas and kidney beans.

Libbie yes post the recipe I would love to try it.

Cathy
Go to Top of Page

granola girl
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Gina
Valrico Florida
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2006 :  10:28:51 AM  Show Profile

Hi Girls!

This is my version of Shepherd's Pie which my family enjoys on St. Patrick's Day. I serve it alongside a nice platter of vine-ripened sliced tomatoes and freshly sliced buffalo mozzarella cheese, drizzle extra-virgin olive oil and balsamic over it and serve it with some oven hot biscuits!

Shepherd's Pie

serves 8

1 lb. ground sirloin
1 medium onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 of a green pepper, chopped fine
1/4 of a red bell pepper, chopped fine
1/2 c. frozen green peas
1/2 c. diced carrots
1/2 c. cut up green beans
10 1/4 oz. can beef gravy
salt and pepper to taste

6 potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 stick of butter
1/2 c. sour cream
salt and pepper to tastae
3 garlic cloves, whole
1 c. sharp cheddar cheese
paprika for sprinkling

Boil the potatoes in the water along with the garlic cloves til tender.

Meanwhile, saute the onions, peppers and garlic in 3 T. olive oil til tender. Brown the meat and drain and set aside. Add the veggies to the meat and stir in seasonings and gravy along with the peas, green beans and carrots. Mix well.

Drain the potatoes and garlic cloves and mash til creamy. Add the sour cream and thea butter and blend well. Season with salt and pepper.

Grease a 9x13 glass casserole dish, layer the meat mixture in evenly and then layer the mashaed potatoes over evenly and sprinkle with cheese and paprika. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until cheese is nice and bubbly.

Farmgirl At Heart
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic shepards pie! Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page