JO AND AL
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Jocelyn
parrsboro nova scotia
Canada
235 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2005 :  12:45:17 PM  Show Profile
i make a good shepards pie. i was hoping to get some other recipees and i am willing to share mine, it is really good, and i would like to have more recipees on how to make it! in case there is one out there better then this one i have!! thankyou jo!!!

love is all you need

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2005 :  2:33:56 PM  Show Profile
Jo -- I have a recipe for Shephard's Pie that I sort of made up. Although the food police will probably come and haul me away because I use Velveeta. I've tried it with cheddar cheese and it's just not the same. We don't eat it very often so it's a real comfort food treat.

2 lbs ground beef - browned and seasoned with onions, garlic powder, salt, and pepper
Mashed potatoes -- about enough for 6 servings
Velveeta

In a 2 qt casserole cover the bottom with ground beef, lay slices of Velveeta, and cover with mashed potatoes. Make one more layer ending with the potatoes. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.

The only place that success comes before work is in the dictionary!
http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/

Edited by - therusticcottage on Dec 08 2005 09:54:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2005 :  4:01:01 PM  Show Profile
Jo, here is my version of shepherd's pie...yummy!

2 lbs. ground beef (seasoned however you like, I use curry)
2 cups brown gravy
1 can peas
1 can carrots
6 servings (at least) mashed potatoes (I use the four-cheese instant kind...I know..I know..not organic, but yummy!)

Mix the cooked ground beef, gravy and vegetables together and put into a 13X9 pan, top with the cooked mashed potatoes, stick in 400 degree oven around 15-20 min til nice and bubbly...

Molly
http://mollymaequilts.tripod.com
"This is love: to fly toward a secret sky, to cause a hundred veils to fall each moment. First to let go of life. Finally, to take a step without feet."~Rumi

Edited by - mollymae on Dec 07 2005 4:02:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

prairiemaid
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Margret

Canada
200 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2005 :  4:52:41 PM  Show Profile
Sounds yummy you two!! I'd love to try your recipe too, Jo!
My recipe is not special. I thought there was only one way to make Shepherd's Pie! Ground beef, tomato sauce, carrots. Topped with mashed potatoes. I noticed neither of you put tomatoes and I've never put cheese! I've got to step outside my box a little more often!

Keep a place apart, within your heart, for little dreams to go!
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2005 :  5:15:55 PM  Show Profile
Hehe, I have never heard of using tomatoes or cheese! Like they say "there is more than one way to skin a cat"

Molly
http://mollymaequilts.tripod.com
"This is love: to fly toward a secret sky, to cause a hundred veils to fall each moment. First to let go of life. Finally, to take a step without feet."~Rumi

Go to Top of Page

primjillie
True Blue Farmgirl

138 Posts

Jill
Antelope CA
USA
138 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2005 :  09:03:26 AM  Show Profile
Mine is really easy. My mom always made this ~

1 lb ground beef
1 can tomato soup
Go to Top of Page

primjillie
True Blue Farmgirl

138 Posts

Jill
Antelope CA
USA
138 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2005 :  09:04:54 AM  Show Profile
Mine is really easy. My mom always made this ~

1 lb ground beef
2 cans green beans
1 can tomato soup
mashed potatoes (I usually use leftovers)

Layer in the order above and bake! Really yummy!
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2005 :  09:35:24 AM  Show Profile
I have a vegatarian shepards pie recipe if anyone interested

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com www.sisterhood.sqrlbee.com

Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2005 :  09:50:23 AM  Show Profile
I never heard of shepherds pie with tomato either.

I make shepherd's pie with leftover roast beef, cubed and mixed with it's own gravy,sometimes with mushrooms.(bottom layer) Then, I add a layer of mixed assorted cooked veggies like carrots, green beans, corn, sometimes spinach.Just bits and pcs of this and that.
On the top, I add a layer of homemade mashed potatoes, or sometimes,
I make potato stuffing ( mashed potatoes with bread cubes, eggs, milk onions& celery, salt and pepper)
Bake until it's all puffed up.
mmmmm

www.feedsackfarmgirls.blogspot.com
www.farmatcoventry.com
"If more of us valued good food, cheer and song above hoarded gold,the world would be a merrier place."
J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

Tatiana
True Blue Farmgirl

98 Posts

Tania
Boise ID
USA
98 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2005 :  11:30:29 AM  Show Profile
OK if you really enjoy a high fat addition:

Bake tater tots and put them on top instead of mashed potatoes. The Tiny Tots work really well. My family won't have it any other way now (Hubbie's invention). I just try not to have it too often.

Tania
Go to Top of Page

JO AND AL
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Jocelyn
parrsboro nova scotia
Canada
235 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2005 :  12:10:35 PM  Show Profile
ok girls, the one i found has~~ get this?? onion soup mix in it, it is delicious too. the others sound devine, i will try them fer sure, also i grade the marbel old fashioned chedar cheese on top just as soon as i get it out of the oven! it is a tasty treat eh? i also put all kinds of mixed vegs. in it like beans, carrots, peas, what ever u want,oh don't forget celery~!! i add a tsp. of oregeno in the hamburger too. i guess u can put anything in it at all. frozen mixed vegs, also good. where i found this recipee was on the onion soup mix box. and then i added the cheese, we don't have it alot, but when we do!!mmmmm!yummy is right, we really love it, thanks for the other recipes girls! jo!

love is all you need
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2005 :  1:44:02 PM  Show Profile
Melissa -- I'd love to have your vegetarian recipe for shepherd's pie. I've made mine with lots of veggies in a tomato sauce (Contadina) and topped with leftover mashed potatoes. Just wondering how you make it. Thanks! KL (aka Katie-ell)
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2005 :  09:08:57 AM  Show Profile
Ok Ladies I'm going to copy and paste the email I just sent to Jocelyn about veggie Shepards pie. It's more of a how to than a recipe.

OK well I don't have an exact recipe but it's so easy there's really no way to mess up. I haven't made this in a while and there are no exact measurements. Here are the ingredients
1 medium to large onion - chopped
? cloves garlic - this really depends on much garlic you, I like a lot
a few carrots - chopped
a few stick of celery - chopped
tomatoes - sauce, or paste, or even canned - I'll explain
lentils
potatoes

So the lentils take the place of the meat. And the potatoes are to be made into mashed potatoes. Now with the tomatoes it all has to do with consistency you cook the lentils with the tomatoes so whatever kind of tomato you have will work as long as there's enough liquid to cook the lentils. One reason for not giving amounts is because I'm not sure the size of the pan you will be baking in the other reason is because this is a recipe from my head and as you probably know you don't usually measure when you make things up. But this turns out every time I make it as a hit, everyone loves it.

Ok How to... So you cook enough potatoes to make enough mashed potatoes to cover generously the pan generously - I have made garlic mashed taters and mustardy mashed taters and they were both good. So while the potatoes are cooking you can start the lentils.

Start by sauteing with a little olive oil the chopped onion and garlic, then add the celery then carrot. Once everything releases it's goodness then add the lentils (hum...amount this ones hard, I think may be 1cup to 1 1/2 cup) You see, this is hard because I'm not sure of the size of the pan, what you want is a good thick layer of lentils with a little thinner layer of mash potatoes on top. So what would do in pour the dried lentils into the baking pan until covers the whole bottom remembering that lentils double in size once they're cooked and then I think you will have the right amount. Anyway if you have too much they'll really delicious just by themselves. Back to recipe.. So you added the lentils, mix them around get them coated in the oil . And then add the tomatoes if your using paste you'll have to add quite a bit of liquid, lentils are like rice it's about 2-1 and you can keep adding water while it cooks if it's evaporating too fast. Add whatever seasoning you enjoy - a little salt, pepper, garlic, oregano etc. simmer lentils until their just cooked, just softened not mushy. You don't want too much liquid left about the same consistency as if you were using ground beef. Pour tomaotoey lentils into baking pan, cover with a generous layer of mashed potatoes bake at about 400 for about 20 minute should be nice and bubbly

Hope I didn't make it sound too complicated, it's really easy it's just not an exact recipe.

Blessed Be

Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2005 :  09:12:15 AM  Show Profile
Melissa -- this sounds yummy. I've always looking for meatless recipes and will give this one a try.

http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2005 :  09:17:16 AM  Show Profile
Oh Honey I've got a ton, you just let me know what you want converted and we'll see if we can do. I gave up meat but good food. Ya know.

Blessed Be

Go to Top of Page

CityCat
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Catherine
Toronto Ontario
Canada
198 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2005 :  5:00:54 PM  Show Profile
I also would like to thank you for posting the veggie shepard's pie. They guys who live in the apartment downstairs are vegetarians, and I'm always trying to find new recipes to share with them. I think I may even try this recipe this weekend. Thanks! Oh, what type of lentils do you use? Red? Brown? Green? -Cat
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2005 :  5:56:21 PM  Show Profile
i've only had 'shepard's pie in England .. and honestly, don't remember liking it too much. i think maryjane has a recipe in one of her magazines .. using 'bake-overs' .. i'll see if i can find it and post it. LORDY! those magazines are fantastic!!!

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2005 :  12:55:58 PM  Show Profile
Cat, I use brown lentils

Blessed Be

Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2005 :  5:13:44 PM  Show Profile

Here is my version of shepherds pie.

Vegetable Skillet Cake
Or
Shepherds Pan Bread
· Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
· 1 large potatoe or several small potatoes. Scrub well and grate. Should have about 2 cups. Rinse well under running water to remove the starch. Drain in colander while preparing remaining ingredients.
· 1 large carrot or several small. Enough to make about 1 cup grated. Scrub well and grate skin and all into a large bowl.
· 2 cloves of Garlic pealed and squeezed into bowl.
· ¼ large sweet onion chopped fine and added to bowl. Stir gently and add in grated potatoes.
· ¼ cup left over cooked veggies or thawed frozen( Broccoli, Spinach, Chard, corn, cabbage, beans.) Stir gently into mixture in bowl.
· 2 cups whole Spelt flour. Sprinkle over top but do not stir.
· 2 teaspoons baking powder, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 tablespoon sesame seed, 1 tablespoon flax seed or meal, 2 tablespoons soy milk powder or powdered milk, ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper. Mix in small bowl and sprinkle over mixture in bowl but do not stir.
· 3 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese (or more). Sprinkle over top of ingredients in bowl.
· 2 diced fresh mushrooms. Add to top.
· 1 tablespoon Olive Oil sprinkled over all.
· Mix ingredients in bowl together well. Now add small amounts of water until a slightly sticky dough is achieved.
· Add olive oil to a 10 or 12 inch oven proof skillet and spread out to coat the surface. Now spread the mixture on top of the oiled surface and smooth out to a level thickness. Oil the top of the dough with additional olive oil. Place in hot oven and for 35 minutes. Slice into 4 servings. Butter top if desired. Serve piping hot with black bean hummus or salsa topping if desired. Good just plain!! Is good as a cold lunch or reheated on a skillet or in the microwave.
· I hope you like this one. We surely do.
Eileen

Songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2005 :  10:30:22 AM  Show Profile
Eileen wow thats different, it sound real good. I never have powdered milk in the house, do you think I need it for the recipe? I'm thinking of trying this one. I'm making christmas eve dinner at my sister-in-laws and I'm looking for something good and different to make. I was thinking of making shepards pie, eveyone likes if but I've made it before for that group and I was thinking of making something different this time. your recipe here sounds good.

Blessed Be

Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2005 :  11:16:46 AM  Show Profile
Melissa, You could do it without the powdered milk. Or maybe just add in the last stirring a couple TBSP. regular milk. We love this recipe especially in winter.
Eileen

Songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

JO AND AL
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Jocelyn
parrsboro nova scotia
Canada
235 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2005 :  2:41:08 PM  Show Profile
I will certainly try the vegie shepards pie melissa, i guess one can put almost anything in it. I have to try the garlic!! looove garlic! but feeewww!! tee hee! (breath afterward!) oh well who cares, right!married long enough ha ha! lol!! thanks sooo much for all the different recipees, i will have a ball trying different ones this xmas season!love it jo~~

love is all you need
Go to Top of Page

FloralSaucer
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Australia
156 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2006 :  01:22:17 AM  Show Profile
I think the beef ones are cottage pie and the lamb shepherds pie. I don't know, but I think you guys are making cottage pie. I didn't know either but I got caught by the food police once.

Will try to find a link.
Go to Top of Page

FloralSaucer
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Australia
156 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2006 :  01:23:29 AM  Show Profile
http://www.cuisinedumonde.com/cottage_pie.html
Go to Top of Page

CathyM
True Blue Farmgirl

344 Posts

Cathy
Tulsa OK
USA
344 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2006 :  09:05:39 AM  Show Profile
Oh so now you've made me want shepards pie. I have all the ingredients so i guess that's what we are having for dnner tonight.

Cathy
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2006 :  11:49:05 AM  Show Profile
Yum. I LOVE shepherds' pie. My mom makes the greatest one - I'll have to see if I can find/get her recipe to post...

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic shepards pie! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page