CathyM
True Blue Farmgirl

344 Posts

Cathy
Tulsa OK
USA
344 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2006 :  09:14:39 AM  Show Profile
I made a killer pot roast the other night, there was enough to last for 2 nights (5 people in the house mind you). I had been thinking of it for about a week and even woke up and wrote down what I needed to make it, LOL. yes I keep a pad of paper, a pen and pencil next to my bed for just such occasions, lol. Anyway, the pot roast was glorious. Instead of white flour I used wheat flour, (of course with spices added, can't have a bland roast now can we), to coat the meat before I seared it in olive oil. added my quartered onions, large cuts of carrots and a few cloves of garlic. Then simmered that thing till the meat fell apart, then added my quartered peeled potatoes and simmered it some more. OH man just what we all wanted on a cold night.

what's everyone else's recipe for pot roast, I would like to try something different.

Cathy

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2006 :  11:47:30 AM  Show Profile
I LOVE a good pot roast! I haven't made one in a while, but when I do, it sounds like I use a recipe very similar to your own. Lately I have been making a 6-hour stew that ends up sort of like stewed roast - it's pretty good, too (in my humble opinion!).

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

Mari-dahlia
True Blue Farmgirl

269 Posts

Marianne
Hoosick Falls New York
USA
269 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2006 :  07:40:22 AM  Show Profile
I add just a bit of cinnamon to my pot roast and everyone loves it. They just can't figure out what it is that kicks it up a notch.
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2006 :  09:57:05 AM  Show Profile
Oooh - I love cinnamon. I'll bet it gives it a little bit of Moroccan flare. Yum, yum...

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

CathyM
True Blue Farmgirl

344 Posts

Cathy
Tulsa OK
USA
344 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2006 :  09:59:33 AM  Show Profile
Ah yes a good pot roast on a cold winter night YUM YUM such a good soul warming meal.

Libbie , can you post the recipe for your 6-hour stew please I would love to try it.

Marianne, I never thought of using cinnamon in my pot roast, I will have to try it.
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2006 :  10:03:24 AM  Show Profile
yankee pot roast, my favorite. After the meat cooks (hours) I add the red potatoes and green beans. Also MUST have red cabbage w/ it. For seasoning I use a rub of garlic, pepper, course salt & thyme. I always brush it w/ olive oil first. Soooooooooo good. Making me hungry now. Michele

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2006 :  3:05:52 PM  Show Profile
Here's the 6-hour stew recipe - I hope you all like it - my little family does. Also, it freezes well...

Libbie's Mom's Six-Hour Stew
2 lbs. stew meat
8 carrots, cut in 1-inch pieces
1 tsp. sugar
1 pkg. frozen peas (or 12-16 oz. fresh shelled)
1 C. chopped celery
4 oz. sherry (optional, but I really like it better with...)
32 oz. canned tomatoes - chopped, but not too small
1/2 pkg. dry onion soup mix
3 T. instant tapioca (small grains)

Place all ingredients EXCEPT PEAS in a soup pot with a tight-fitting lid. Bake for 6 hours at 275 degrees F. Add peas during the last 1/2 hour of cooking. Serve over mashed potatoes or rice, and enjoy!

Just a little note about pot roasts - I think I posted this somewhere else a long time ago, but when I was buying a pot roast, my little guy (@2) just loved that it was called a "pot roast" and went around for a couple of weeks referring to himself as "your little pot roast." It was SO cute!!!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

granola girl
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Gina
Valrico Florida
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2006 :  4:14:11 PM  Show Profile
Hi Girls!

This is a really good comfort-style Pot Roast:

NEW ENGLAND STYLE POT ROAST
Serves 4-6

1 med. onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
3/4 lbs. carrots, sliced
1/2 lb. turnips, peeled and sliced
1/2 lb. parsnips, peeled and sliced
6 oz. mushrooms, sliced
3-inch sliced piece of ginger, minced
1 (28 oz.) can whole tomatoes
3 lb. boneless beef chuck roast
2 tbsp. olive oil
3/4 cup Tawney Port
3/4 cup dry red wine
2 cups beef or veg. broth
2 tbsp. worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp. brown sugar
3 bay leaves
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. thyme
3 tbsp. cornstarch
3 tbsp. water

Drain and chop tomatoes. Pat meat dry and season with salt and pepper. Brown roast in heavy kettle. Tranfer roast to a platter. In kettle, add onions, cook til golden. Add garlic, cook 1 mt. Add Port and wine, scraping the brown bits up. Stir in broth, worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, ginger, tomatoes and spices. Bring to a boil, add meat and veggies. Bring heat down to simmer and simmer covered for 3 hours. Turn roast after 1 1/2 hours. Transfer the roast to platter, let stand for 10 mts. In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch and water, stir in to the sauce to thicken. Cut roast into 1/2-inch slices and arrange on a platter, spoon veggies around and sauce over

Farmgirl At Heart
Go to Top of Page

farmfilly
Farmgirl in Training

48 Posts

Jackie
Gilmer Texas
USA
48 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2006 :  5:21:02 PM  Show Profile
We love a good pot roast too. My favorite way of cooking it is in the big crockpot. Then I can go about my business and it doesn't heat the house up too much, and leaves the oven free for making dessert.
Anyway I usually season and flour my roast and then brown it in a hot skillet with olive oil. Place it in the crock pot and add corsely chopped onions, Kosher salt and 1/2 c water. About 1/2 way thru I add 1 c chopped mushrooms and turn my roast over. Check water level and add if needed. I like as little water as possible. Just 20 minutes or so till done I add peeled sweet potatoes cut into large chunks. They need to be pretty good size chunks or they just mush away.
This makes the richest most delicious roast ever!

Life is good!
Jackie

Life happens, I'm just glad to participate!
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Pot Roast Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page