mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2005 :  07:34:41 AM  Show Profile
Diane, that is so sweet of you , and Sue it's funny you say that about "twins", cause it seems no matter where I've lived or gone in life there has always been someone saying to me "you know, you look just like this person I know"...hehe. I'm sorry to hear you lost your best friend (big hugs to you). I would love to see a picture of your friend (my twin) sometime if you have one to share, I'll email you my email address through the forum here sweetie.

Molly
http://mollymaequilts.tripod.com
"This is love: to fly toward a secret sky, to cause a hundred veils to fall each moment. First to let go of life. Finally, to take a step without feet."~Rumi

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2005 :  08:16:22 AM  Show Profile
Molly..that happens to me all the time too..in fact at a garage sale this summmer a man (the one having the sale) started crying when he saw me and said that I looked just like his oldest daughter when she was my age..and that she had died a few years ago. He was sucha sweet old guy and just wanted to talk awhile. I am so glad to see that you got your twin name doll!!!!

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2005 :  08:29:44 AM  Show Profile
Very sweet little dolls! I can't even get a sock monkey right so you have me totally impressed!

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2005 :  10:30:06 AM  Show Profile
thanks bobbi .. honestly, making a dollie is so very easy. a couple years back i did an 'on-line' Dolly From My Heart Class. i sent a 'basic' pattern to the gurlfrenz .. and started posting some simple directions ... then each of the ya-ya's would e-mail me with questions if they got stuck .. and i did this over about a week or two time-frame so that hopefully, we would all find the time to kinda' keep pace. when we finished, some of the girls who had digital cameras posted photos of their new dolly to me and i posted the pics to all the gurlfrenz. i adored how each dolly was so unique. this, i believe, is the beauty of not following a pattern exactly. we just let our hearts take over our minds and hands! i think i'll do this again during cabin fever months (january - february) ... if there is enough interest here on the 'farmgirl connection' .. i could do one here too .. or .. you can just e-mail me and get on my 'kentucky ramblings' list and be a part of the "Cabin Fever" doll class.

The great thing about doing it here is that everyone would be able to see everyone else's posts .. and we could all share our ideas and tips for dolly making .. i know there are some dollymakers on here already!

AND .. like me, it may turn out to become a pretty good little 'stay-at-home-on-the-farm' business for some of you.

OH .. i jus' haf'ta tell a story here! When our Maryland doll club (Crooked Tree Hollow Doll Club) formed about a dozen years ago .. we started with fifty local members .. many of whom had never made a doll before. I gave everyone a basic doll pattern to use. (jus' one i scribbled on paper). The first month .. we took the pattern home and sewed up the body .. stained it, painted it, or used any fabric we wished for the 'body'. We sewed it, turned it, stuffed it, sewed the 'body parts' to their appropriate places .. and SIGNED our names (and date) over their hearts.

The next month (we met once a month at my home, Crooked Tree Hollow) .. we all brought our 'nekked bodies' (DOLL .. not OURS!) back to the gathering. We tossed them all into the middle of the floor (what a sight that was!) Then we drew 'numbers' .. and sat in a big circle ... one by one .. we closed our eyes and reached into the pile for a 'body' .. (IF we drew our own .. we tossed her back in and got a different one).

Each month, we would share ideas for faces, hair, clothes, accessories for dolls. (And some of the more accomplished dollmakers brought 'sample' dollies and some did 'demonstrations' of hair and faces.

After our second gathering .. we took our 'new' dolly body home and gave her some 'underoos' ... at each subsequent monthly gathering, we did the number/blind-fold trick and each month we took home a different doll to 'play with'. Month three was clothes, month four was face, month five was hair and the final month (6) was accessories.

OH what fun it was and what a joy to see each dolly progress and the 'finished' brought-to-life doll!

We took lots of photos of them .. and each original 'body-making' momma (with her name over the heart) took her dolly home to live with her.

AND .. our proudest moment was later that year when a huge and prestigious doll conference came to Maryland ... with the finest teachers in the country (it was four days of intensive doll-making classes). There is always a 'doll show' where magnificent dolls are displayed and people from all over come to see the show.

WE rounded up 50 tiny little tea-cups and saucers (because WE always had a 'tea party' at each gathering .. so .. figured our dollies should too!) And we displayed them all together having tea and conversation.

We were complimented highly by even the most gifted dollmakers at our skill and friendship that had led to such a 'girlfriend' endeavor!

Oh lordy! what a wonderful walk down memory lane that was for me! Perhaps those interested farmgirls could do something similar. xo, frannie

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2005 :  4:39:23 PM  Show Profile
Molly,

You and Molly Mae look so happy together! What a sweet gesture from our fellow farmgirl! Did you make the quilt in the background?

Debbie

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2005 :  5:32:24 PM  Show Profile
Hi Debbie! No, that quilt I did not make :) Have a beautiful day!

Molly
http://mollymaequilts.tripod.com
"This is love: to fly toward a secret sky, to cause a hundred veils to fall each moment. First to let go of life. Finally, to take a step without feet."~Rumi

Go to Top of Page

CountryGirl85
True Blue Farmgirl

225 Posts

Laura
Oswego IL
USA
225 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2005 :  10:03:10 PM  Show Profile  Send CountryGirl85 an AOL message  Send CountryGirl85 a Yahoo! Message
Frannie -
The dolls are adorable! And I just love the little stories they have! I would love, love, love to learn how to make them.
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2005 :  10:22:16 PM  Show Profile
good evening laura .. make sure to check out the 'cabin fever' doll class (i think i put it in the 'stitching' room). i'll be doing an 'on-line' doll class come the first of the the new year. may do it through my 'kentucky ramblings' e-mail list ... and i've already started a list of the gurlfrenz that want to make a dolly ... so, be sure to e-mail me and i'll add your name to the list. (p.s. making dolls is soooooooo easy .. and SUCH fun!) xo, frannie

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

Snowden Cottage
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

Mumsie
Valley WA
USA
56 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2005 :  1:34:37 PM  Show Profile
Frannie, I am sooo in love with these dollies..Molly Mae is my fav..but they are all soooo cute..and I am not into dolls..but I is now!! I'm a new kid on the block, so to speak, but I am gonna jump right in..and try my hand at one of these! Gonna sign up for the class! Mumsie

Live simply... Love deeply...Hope forever!
Go to Top of Page

Gerta
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Nancy
Dawson Creek B.C
Canada
7 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2006 :  5:54:04 PM  Show Profile
Oh True Blue I love your dolls would you sell the pattern so I could make some too.? I just got instrested in doll makeing and as soon as I am done with the quilt I'm makeing I am going to start makeing dolls and I would love to try yours. thanks
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2006 :  05:51:36 AM  Show Profile
nancy .. i'm not sure if you are addressing me or someone else in your posting. if it's me: Cabin Creek Farm ... i don't use patterns .. i just cut the shapes out (have made so many dolls it just comes easy now). i don't have the snowmama pattern .. but i have a sweet dolly pattern that i send to the gurlfrenz that want to make a doll .. all the instructions are somewhere else buried somewhere here on the forum. e-mail me if you would like one and i'll send you my address and you can send me a regular size SASE and i'll send a pattern along. IF you want to make the snowmama's .. just give her a hat instead of hair .. and stitch the little face you see on the dollies in this thread. xo, frannie

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2006 :  11:31:32 AM  Show Profile