CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2005 :  07:42:42 AM  Show Profile
Good sunny (but cold) Kentucky Morning to all you Farmgirls ...
I wasn't sure whether to post these little 'Snow Flake Dolls' under Stitchin' or Entrepreneurship. But since they are 'stitched' .. I chose here!

Started these little 'snowgirls' last night before hitting the bed .. was so excited about them that i got up before the rooster crowed .. to finish them up.

I have about a dozen 'bodies' made (or in the makin') .. and will 'gift' some of them at Christmastime to friends and family ... and some will be offered up for 'adoption' .. (that's the Entrepreneurship part!)

I love 'primitive' the most .. so these little snowgirls are 'tea-stained' and dressed in vintage cloth. I'm calling these dollies: "Snow Flakes" --- (Each little "Snow Flake" holds a tiny christmas ornament in her hand!)

Oh .. and by the way .. all dollies created are 'orphans' who have some way or other come to live at Sister Mercy's Foundling Home for Rag Chillun .. and it is from this loving place that they are adopted.

Sister Mercy always likes to send along a sentence or two telling of some little history of each dolly's personality .. so that if they come to live with you .. you are intune with their likes, dislikes, joy and sometimes, fears).

====================

This is MAVIS MAXINE .. her dress is sewn from an olde jacket i found in a trunk .. her apron and hat are a wonderful old wool blanket that was all tattered and torn. Mavis Maxine has tea-dyed cheese cloth under-britches.

Mavis Maxine it was learned was named after her Grand Maw-Maw who raised her on an Iowa farm. 'Grandpaw Otis growed corn and 'taters she told us and these are her two favorite foods!

===============

This is what their little faces look like (each one is a little different) .. vintage button eyes, stitched 'pumpkin orange' nose and little cross stitches for a mouth. They have all been 'aged' by staining them with RIT "tan" dye.

========================

And introducing Sosie Anne .. she has her fingers crossed for SNOW .. with her vintage wool blanket dress and a tad more of that jacket fabric for bloomers and her 'snowhat'. Her dress is tattered and torn and lovingly patched.

Sosie Ann is a cold-weather child ... sledding and ice-fishing are her most favorite things to do. When she's adopted, she's hopin' and prayin' it's a family that has real cold winters.

=========================

Wanda June .. has bloomers, apron pocket and a dress made from a vintage, linen dish towel ... white with blue striping. Her sleeves, belt and 'cap' are edged with hand-crochet lace that was from this very towel. Her apron and hat are made from antique blue and white ticking.

Wanda June is somewhat of a 'priss' (and will require a 'mirror' at her new home) .. she tends to be a little prideful now and then .. but she does have a kind heart. She is often found sitting and reading to the younger ragchillun at the orphanage.

=================

Molly Mae .. has an aged muslin petti-coat under her softly woven dress of pale, pale brown with blue stripes .. this used to be a long-ago bed blanket .. her hand-stitched 'star' apron is a square from an antique quilt .. as is her christmasy-red cap ..

close up of Molly Mae's endearing little face:

Molly Mae loves to cook and sew and house-keep. She rises early to gather eggs and then fries them up along with some bacon and grits for the chillun's breakfast. She is often heard 'humming a little tune' as she goes about her daily chores.

==========

Thanks for letting me share these little "Snow Flake" rag dollies with you. Hope they brought a smile to your face!

xo, Frannie

====================

True Friends, Frannie

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2005 :  07:46:37 AM  Show Profile
Oh my gosh..they are adorable! I love this style..you are so talented. Molly Mae is my favorite, but I love them all!

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2005 :  08:02:57 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Jenny ... (i have to 'whisper this very quietly') because 'mama's are not supposed to choose a favorite chile .. but t'wixt and t'ween you and me .. shhhhhhhhhhh!!!! (little Molly Mae gave me the biggest grins when creating her).

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2005 :  08:19:40 AM  Show Profile
Very cute dolls, do you sell them? Did you make up the patterns? I've made dolls and found that they don't sell well at craft fairs around here.
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2005 :  08:24:17 AM  Show Profile
Love them!!

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com www.sisterhood.sqrlbee.com

Go to Top of Page

Once upon a Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Ivy
Bartlett TN
USA
57 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2005 :  09:28:11 AM  Show Profile
They are all adorable Frannie! I am grining from ear to ear.
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2005 :  09:40:24 AM  Show Profile
i don't use patterns .. i've made zillions of dollies (have actually taken classes from some of the finest doll makers in the country ... soooooo .. i know lots of techniques .. but .. ya' know .. my heart keeps coming back to the niave little nostalgic raggedy ones! i just cut the bodies out and turn 'em (and by the way girls .. if you are a dollmaker (or wanna' be) .. there are TWO TOOLS that are an absolute MUST! one is 'turning tubes' .. these can be bought at most big fabric or craft shoppes (it takes many minutes to turn a skinny doll arm or leg .. with a turning tool .. it takes about a SECOND!

.. and (this one is much harder to find .. but you can locate them if you google: Barbara Willis Stuffing Fork (or Tool) .. they are about ten dollars and will save you HOURS of time and frustration .. when stuffing your dolls! i wouldn't make dolls without one!

Just get yourself a 'basic' doll pattern .. look at it .. and here's my "pome" on making a doll body:

Two Arms
Two Legs
One Head
One Torso
ain't never seen a doll
with More-so!

I listed Crow Soup and Ranting Raven and Mercantile Gatherings Magazine as FABULOUS outlets to sell primitive dolls or other primitive wares .. do check them out on-line. I think i put it under the sewies topic somewhere just a day or two ago.

ALSO .. important to know: know your audience .. what price do dolls go for in your area (if you are trying to sell them locally).

EDUCATE your area to come to love PRIMITIVE (if that is your heart's love). and there are lots of ways to do this!

IF you simply cannot sell them in your area .. or you don't have an 'area' to sell them in ... use the World Wide Web! A modern phenomenon that has opened up the business-world to 'stay at home moms'.

Find your own 'style' .. this does not mean you cannot buy and follow patterns (to a certain point) .. but .. honestly .. let your hands follow your heart .. and eventually .. you WILL indeed know your own style.

Always learn more, more, more .. through reading, classes, and practice, practice, practice!

Even though i'm not particularly fond of what i call: " Artsty-Fartsy" dolls (art dolls) .. i do so very much appreciate the skill and techniques that goes into making them .. and many of these skills and techniques can be used to make YOUR style of doll!

ASK questions! I have found that doll-makers are almost always very giving and sharing when it comes to wanting to help others bring out the dollies in their heart! xo, frannie

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Cottage
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Ellen

USA
273 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2005 :  09:43:54 AM  Show Profile
Frannie-what cuties they all are-thanks for sharing-I'm all smiles now! There is somethin about that Wanda June-she is my favorite for sure.

Hope everyone is having a great day!
Ellen in MI
Go to Top of Page

Kate
MaryJane's Farmgirl

135 Posts

Kate
Moscow ID
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2005 :  10:39:18 AM  Show Profile
Wow Frannie~ Beautiful little ladies. You’re so talented!! Thanks for sharing!!

Tomorrow is always fresh with no mistakes in it.....unless they are spelling mistakes.
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2005 :  12:50:42 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Can i adopt Molly Mae? I have a little Molly girl who is on my Christmas list that would love her...
They are adorable Frannie. You must be a very focused woman to get so many things done! And talented with a needle!

Edited by - Fabulous Farm Femmes on Dec 07 2005 12:51:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2005 :  2:45:58 PM  Show Profile
Dear Diane, that little scamp Molly Mae has indeed found a home already .. but my fingers are itching to get to the other 'snow flakes' that are waiting for some clothes. went antiqueing today to get some more vintage fabrics .. i'll post their pictures and stories tomorrow .. i think making little black dollies are my most favorites and i have a couple of those in process too. (they always end up on the 'very primitive' side of life). i can make another little Molly (she will be different though .. cuz' i never make two alike). (Actually, 'Sister Mercy' can even go down to the county courthouse and have the name of any of these chillun changed if an adopting momma wants to name her own chile'). For all my farmgirlfriends and 'treasure seekers' .. the adoption fee is $15. for these Snow Flakes (plus 'train fare'). xo, frannie

p.s. thanks to all you sweetie-pies that are enjoying them.

IF you've never made a doll .. but would love to .. just DO IT! You will either make ONE and you can check that offa' your 'life list' .. or you will fall so passionately in love with making them .. that you will go on to make lots and lots and lots more!

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2005 :  4:07:41 PM  Show Profile
Frannie, I'd like to adopt one, too. There's a little girl who has been very, very good this year and who deserves a treat. ME! Please let me know who is available. Tell them, I'm adopted too
so we have lots in common already.

Love,
Patricia

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

prairiemaid
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Margret

Canada
200 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2005 :  4:57:50 PM  Show Profile
They are very cute! Thanks for sharing. They look like a great creative outlet. Thanks for the tips on doll making too. One day I'd like to give it a try.

Keep a place apart, within your heart, for little dreams to go!
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2005 :  04:51:21 AM  Show Profile
Wow Frannie, they all are adorable, but Molly Mae is my favorite too, reminds me of my granddaughter, May! I haven't gotten into making dolls yet, but after looking at these cuties, I just may! Thanks for sharing your talent with us!

" Aspire to Inspire before you Expire"

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2005 :  06:11:04 AM  Show Profile
Patricia .. i couldn't find the button to 'e-mail' you .. soooo .. i'll post you a little message here .. i'm finishing up some 'blue angels' today ... you might want to wait to see them before deciding on a dolly for that good littl girl on Santa's list. i'll be posting their pictures and stories to my Treasure Seekers .. but will let you see them first. (Mavis Maxine, Sosie Ann and Wanda June are visiting my antiques booth at the mall .. and we're expecting snow today .. so .. i can't get over there to see who might have already found a home).

i, too, was 'somewhat' adopted. two dear aunts raised my brother, sister and me since i was seven years old .. AND from very early in my life .. it made me want to adopt a child too .. sooooooo .. before even trying to get pregnant .. we submitted a request to adopt ... and within months .. we adopted a darling daughter. (my oldest daughter, Kristen .. she was two years old and OH SO PRECIOUS!). (three years later, we had another little girl (from the tummy this time!) .. her name is Wednesday) also oh so precious!

Have you ever seen the sweet little poem:

Not flesh of my flesh
nor bone of my bone ..
but still .. miraculously .. my own.
Never forget for a single minute,
You didn't grow under my heart ..
but IN IT!

Kristen and I love that poem. i used to sing it to her all the time. (and we still sing it together).

there truly is no difference whatsoever how a child finds it's way into your heart. xo, frannie

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2005 :  09:30:12 AM  Show Profile
Wendesday is such a fun and interesting name. I wonder about the face and person who goes with that name.

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com www.sisterhood.sqrlbee.com

Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2005 :  09:44:12 AM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
No offense to your daughter, whom I am sure is lovely and loves her unusual name, but I always think of the little girl on The Addams Family when I hear that name!

I AM a child from the 50's..I think TV!
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2005 :  2:41:29 PM  Show Profile
well .. Wednesday WAS born on Halloween .. our oldest daughter, wanted to give her a 'good little witch's' name. and i WAS in my 'hippie era' .. (one of the grandest chapters of my life!!) Kristen came up with "Wendy the Good Little Witch" (from the Casper the Friendly Ghost comics). We went along with it .. but i wanted something REALLY different that no one else had. I had forgotten about the Addams Family .. but that would have made me want the name even more. Actually, Wednesday Addams and our little Wednesday are like the black and white scottie dogs .. our Wednesday had platinum blonde hair and the biggest blue eyes you ever did see! AND .. i did hear that the little actress who played her ended up with a sad life .. our little Wednesday is an angel gently released from the hands of God to bless every life she touches. She truly has been the most perfect daughter .. as a child and as an adult. She did a lot of modelling, acting, and dancing in her youth (she attended the Baltimore School for the Performing Arts .. and went off to college to become a 'professional ballerina' ... in Salt Lake City, Utah (and much of her childhood in the mountains of Colorado) .. she fell in LOVE with the environment .. and called us one day and said 'mommie, daddy, i have something to tell you'. "The earth needs healing, and i want to be a band-aid". (translation: she was giving up her ballet career to become an 'environmental attorney' like her dad. (that "total" dream is in the process .. she is an attorney in Toledo, Ohio .. her husband is a politician and hopefully, someday will hold an office that will, indeed, take them to Washington, D.C. where she can work for the Environment Division of the Department of Justice ... just like her dad).

My family was concerned she wouldn't like her name (if that happened, we would have called her Wendy) .. but she has always LOVED it! There was always only ONE Wednesday. (Lordy! I was raised in the 40's and 50's where there were lots and lots of BOY and girl Frances' .. not to mention "Francis the Talking Mule!)

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2005 :  4:30:52 PM  Show Profile
all my photos are still boxed up and crammed into the 'schoolhouse' .. sooooo .. i can't 'show and tell' our little wednesday right now .. but here's her precious son LUCAS .. 'almost four' in this photo .. he was all dressed up for the Valentine Dance at school .. his mom was his 'date'. He balked at putting thOse 'girl flowers' bouquet on his jacket .. but Wednesday convinced him to do so because he would be wearing his 'big boy belt'. She said she got half-a-dance with him that evening .. the rest of the time .. Lucas and all the other little boys chased baloons around the dance floor! She looked a lot like him when she was little .. same shade of hair and big blue eyes. He is such a love!

LUCAS

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2005 :  01:07:30 AM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
What a handsome man!I love little people in big peoples clothing!! Is he available?

Oh, and Frannie, excuse me but MY daughter is the perfect daughter.....sorry, title taken!

Edited by - Fabulous Farm Femmes on Dec 09 2005 01:09:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2005 :  05:01:08 AM  Show Profile
i bet there are lots of us that would claim that 'perfect daughter' (and/or son) title!
aren't they just god's perfect gift to us!

and for those of us who have walked the 'hard road' with those 'free spirit' children .. god love us! my own dear kristen was 'hell on wheels' (as my nannie would say) .. but she taught me patience and how to reach deep into my heart for understanding. and i believe she taught me how to be the 'perfect momma'! all children are angels in god's eyes. xo, frannie

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2005 :  09:29:59 AM  Show Profile
Frannie, I just came across this thread, and just fell in love with the Molly Mae doll (gee I wonder why??? hehe). I want a Molly Mae of my own! How much do you charge? Email me personally!

Molly
http://mollymaequilts.tripod.com
"This is love: to fly toward a secret sky, to cause a hundred veils to fall each moment. First to let go of life. Finally, to take a step without feet."~Rumi

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2005 :  10:37:59 AM  Show Profile
I have been touched by adoption too...my 5 youngest kids (3 boys and 2 girls) are adopted and 4 are still at home. I have my grown up 2 "homemade boys" too. I have some very perfect and some handfuls and they are all very different but dosn't that make it all fun? My oldest daughter..who is 11 is so much like I was..bossy bossy bossy...and it drives me crazy and makes me smile all at the same time. MollyMae..you NEED a mollymae doll child..how fun!

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2005 :  07:32:08 AM  Show Profile

Well sweet Farmgirls, the Molly Mae's have been brought together by the sweetest benefactor (who will remain anonymous cause I don't know if she wants to be known...hehe), but suffice it to say the Ultimate Farmgirl adopted this sweet doll for me and I will truly treasure it always! Thank you!!!!

Molly
http://mollymaequilts.tripod.com
"This is love: to fly toward a secret sky, to cause a hundred veils to fall each moment. First to let go of life. Finally, to take a step without feet."~Rumi

Edited by - mollymae on Dec 18 2005 07:37:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2005 :  11:54:51 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
What a sweet gesture..lucky girl.

And Molly, you are GORGEOUS! Severe case of envy here..and I don't mean the doll (although she is pretty cute too).
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2005 :  04:40:21 AM  Show Profile
MollyMae, you ARE my best friends twin, who I lost 2 years ago this week, I guess it's true, we all do have a twin somewhere! What a wonderful gift, the doll too. Enjoy her and Blessings to you!

" Aspire to Inspire before you Expire"

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Snow Momma's Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page