Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Equestrian Farmgirl Gear? Next Topic  

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2008 :  10:28:01 AM  Show Profile
So, how does one "farmgirl up" her horseback riding gear? All due respect to rodeo queens and princesses... but I'm not so much a sequin and rhinestone gal. What do you do to have a bit of fun/glamour with your gear?

Been working on some projects...an apron...go figure! I think it's going to be my treasure-keeper to wear riding. You know, tuck in a pretty flower, rock, old bottle, etc. or a safe spot to remove and dispose of those trail-dangers like broken glass and metal. Got me thinking...maybe I'm not the only one thinking rebellious thoughts...am I "bucking" the system too much? I'm making a horseback apron. What other things has necessity or whimsy stirred you to create?

We make a difference. http://huckleberrywine.blogspot.com

Edited by - Huckelberrywine on Nov 28 2008 10:29:44 AM

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2008 :  10:33:35 AM  Show Profile
It's funny that you call it a treasure keeper. About a month ago, I finally got my husband to get on a horse with me, and I was talking him through it, and we got to a field, and he says, "I guess you just kind of let them wander, huh?" So I said yeah Star(my mare I've had for 15 years) knows where we want to go, and two steps later, i had to hop off and pick up....an OLD rusty horseshoe!! IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FIELD! How cool? So of course it's a memory keepsake of the one time we went riding together!
Anyways, I didn't have anywhere to put the shoe, so I took off my longsleeve shirt and wrapped it up and tied it around my waist...an apron or anything with pockets would ahve been helpful!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2008 :  4:11:45 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Michelle-

How about some pretty cowgirl boots, and if your horse is well trained (not green) you could tie a pretty hankie or scarf around the saddle horn.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2008 :  6:15:10 PM  Show Profile
OH, what fun things! Ol' Grandpa horse goes along with a bareback pad, so we don't have anything to tie to...but I do like the hankie idea. I just happen to have a hanky with 3 horseshoes embroidered on it and some roses...I'll have to go tie it onto the saddle horn of my saddle-in-waiting.

Odd things are always turning up in our fields too. Mostly tractor parts and broken dishes. Rarely an old horseshoe from plowing days. What a neat find! Having a special place to keep the "keepers" and a different pocket for the sharps helps to avoid nasty cuts at the end of the day while emptying pockets. I thought a mosaic table with the bits of "field china" and pretty colored glass might be fun for outside, so I have a little pile set aside for that project. Maybe a bits-tiled birdhouse?

So, have you hung up your lucky horseshoe somewhere? How about tieing some dried flowers to it (maybe another ride in the spring)? I love the idea of making saddlebags out of a pair of pretty boots. They would be just right for holding wine/water/juice in recycled bottles for a picnic, or for dropping things into. Great suggestion Alee! Or did you mean get some to-die-for boots for the farmgirl to wear...also fun! And you are right...I'd want to try any new gear/decoration out from the longeline a bit even with a well trained horse. A bit of caution goes a long way. No fashion is worth the danger of a runaway spooked horse.

Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2008 :  07:31:14 AM  Show Profile
Oooooh Field China. What a cool name / concept. There is sooooo much broken glass in my pasture, I have buckets full of glass! Not too much china though. I guess I'll be keeping it now...
We haven't hung the shoe up yet. It's on the entertainment stand for now.
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2008 :  08:43:13 AM  Show Profile
My stuff isn't necessarily frilly or fussy but I have a couple of accessories on my saddle when I ride. It's like having the "kitchen sink" right along with you. I have a bottle holder that hooks to the front D-ring on my saddle as I'm a big water drinker and then have a little bag that ties around the saddle horn/tree area up and under the hole in the front and holds my chapstick, cell phone and what-have-you's with a zipper but it's out of the way of the reins. If we're on a long trail ride I take sunflower seeds in there and eat them on the trail. I tie my denim shirt or coat to the back of my saddle and have my hat of course. I also have insulated saddle bags for a picnic lunch and they work great--or for a few beers on a hot day. They are made of outdoor fabric but look like a Pendleton blanket type design. I guess this stuff could be gussied up but it gets so dusty and dirty I like it being made out of outdoor backpacking type fabric. Always have my pocket knife handy too - in the zippered bag up front.
Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
http://farmhouseflair.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

peachy
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Melissa
Fennville MI
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2008 :  10:18:05 AM  Show Profile  Send peachy a Yahoo! Message
I've been trying to dress up my horse for years! He seems to like it! I'm not a "frilly" dresser and neither his he - I like my old jeans and tattered shirt (more comfy) - hat with a bandana tied around it (ya never know when you might need a bandana out there!) I have a small pouch around my horn for cell phone etc., also have a snap on holder for water and big saddle bags on the back! My husband nearly lost it this year when I jumped off and started filling my saddle bags with moss, flowers and rocks from the woods! (I needed it to landscape my dollhouses!!) This past year I celebrated my birthday at horse camp and my sister-in-law gave me a white feather with ribbons attached and an angel poem. My horse "Tavio" proudly had it attached to his saddle the whole weekend! Just made me think...a small dreamcatcher might be something neat to put on your saddle! I love the apron idea...I'm working on a jean apron right now that would be perfect for those treasure stops along the way!

Melissa
Farmgirl Sister #360

Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2008 :  1:17:14 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
You could also sew a farmgirl bareback pad- even just a cover for the one you have!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2008 :  2:05:09 PM  Show Profile
What great ideas! See, I just knew I wasn't the only one to bring home treasures. I love these ideas. Keep me planning through the snowy weather... I do like having durable bang-off the dust things, but a pretty hanky is so easy to wash up and useful for getting trail dust off the eyes and face. There must be a balance for the durable and dainty. :)

Go to Top of Page

flatheadlakegirl
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Marilyn
Polson MT
14 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2008 :  4:18:24 PM  Show Profile
Oh boy are we going to have fun now! If you can do basic sewing (or even glueing)there's no limit. Just try to remember not to make your horse feel foolish. No pink, frilly stuff on a gelding please. First off, consider your saddle blanket or pad. Does the color flatter your horse's coat color? Bridle browbands and breast collars lend themselves to "upholstering" in intersting materials. Beadwork on bridles is huge right now. Horsehair tassels can be attached to everything, I even have one on the zipper of my handbag. How about your hatband? No end of possible fun there, or if you like to wear a ball cap or visor add your farmgirl touch on those too. What ever you do, make sure your horse and his/her tack are clean, fit well, and in good repair and always ride with pride! Happy Trails, Marilyn
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Equestrian Farmgirl Gear? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page