Author Family Matters: Previous Topic Homeschooling... Next Topic
Page: of 2

homesteaderbelle
True Blue Farmgirl

391 Posts

Belle

USA
391 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2008 :  4:25:33 PM  Show Profile  Click to see homesteaderbelle's MSN Messenger address
Yep, my dad feels the same way about homeschoolers. He says homeschools are weird, weird, weird and they aren't going to fit in the world.

I will admit, there are some weird families that homeschool, but the families were weird before they started homeschooling, homeschooling didn't make them weird. It seems that the 'weird' families choose homeschooling.

You son, if homeschooled or not, will only be as weird as you choose to be.

We are homeschooled, we are not weird although we are differnt because we choose to take the less traveled path. we are loved by our outside family, friends, community and seem to fit in just fine.

I have noticed that non-homeschooled children envy our homeschool life-style.

Belle

http://www.homesteaderbelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2008 :  6:06:47 PM  Show Profile
I firmly believe if you go into homeschooling with the knowledge and commitment to do what is best for you and your children, with the eye on the goal of raising good people, then things will work out.

I always made sure to remind myself that my goal was to raise good people, with good morals and values, people who would give back to the community and serve each other. My goal was not to purposefully raise academic prodigies, but I have found that throughout our years and years of homeschooling, mostly with an unschooling approach, the kids have proven they are intelligent, informed people. All 5 have been highly involved in the community, some in sports, all in service opportunities, and the list goes on and on.

Besides, I figured if anyone was going to take the blame for screwing up my children, then it would be me, because at least I would screw them up with more love and attention than any one person could give!!!

Farmgirl #208

What are you doing with your dash?
Go to Top of Page

ModFarmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Marie
North Dakota
16 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2008 :  6:51:09 PM  Show Profile
I was homeschooled through all 12 grades! I loved it!! I do consider myself "weird", but everyone is "weird" in their own unique way. I'm a consistent daydreamer, so I really liked being homeschooled, being when I totally daydreamed off in English, I could go back and do it again 'til I paid attention and understood it. I also loved having a Christian based school. It made a world of difference.
It was hard being homeschooled, at least back then, being it was not as popular as it is now, everyone seemed to put you down and I got so used to explaining that homeschool is real schooling, just like public school, but you are just doing it at home (public schoolers do so much homework at home they are a percent "homeschooled" in a sense anyways). There are struggles, but the finished outcome is well worth it. I know of some EXTREMLY successful, smart, caring, just plan wonderful people who had been homeschooled. My brother for instance (graduated homeschooled): he wanted to attend college to be a computer programmer. The college he was planning to attend did not believe he, a homeschooler, could be capable of the grades he had from high school. They made him take all sorts of test, and they were shocked at his high IQ and tripped all over themselves to get him into their college! A month or so before graduation a guy came to the college he was attending and asked for the smartest student in the computer programing class. That was my brother (there were two excelled students in my brothers class, him and a girl, who was also homeschooled)! The guy hired my brother pretty much on the spot and he's had a great and secure job with a growing business for about 5 years now and plans to get married next fall. <--- A homeschooler success story!

Good luck, Chandasue!

~~Marie~~

www.modfarmgirl.etsy.com
www.modfarmgirl.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2008 :  4:31:28 PM  Show Profile
I have just posted a lot of home schooling books various grade levels in the market place section in case anyone is interested.

~I Dream of a Better World..where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned!~
blogs:http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and http://thevictorygardener.blogspot.com
magazine: www.stliving.net
etsy shops: http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
and http://myvictorygarden.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

jennym
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Jenny
Green Lane PA
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2009 :  07:37:10 AM  Show Profile
We're in our 9th year of homeschooling, and I could bore you to death by going on and on about how wonderful it is, but suffice it to say that I LOVE it!
Regarding the socialization - I hate to use the term "real world" (I just hate that term - who decides for someone else whether the life they're living is in the "real world???? People may have different lifestyles, but that's what life in the real world is all about!!!!)...anyway, many people claim that homeschooling doesn't prepare kids for the "real world". IMHO, homeschooling does a much better job of preparing kids for adult life (i.e. the real world that so many people refer to). Homeschoolers grow up in the same world they're going to be living in as adults - they get to interact with people of all different ages, and they have the freedom to make choices about their lives. They also learn to not go along with the crowd and do something just because everyone else is doing it. I honestly believe that school teaches kids that they have to accept the status quo, and I also think that's why so many people are against homeschooling - instead of researching it for themselves, they believe what they've heard others say - and those others usually don't know anything about it, either! It's just the popular (mis)conception. I think some people never outgrow the force of "peer pressure!" I honestly don't mean to sound like I'm blaming teachers - my oldest son was public schooled (I do wish I had made the choice to homeschool earlier, when he was younger) and he had some really caring teachers. I just think that some of these problems are inherent in the system. Check out this link: http://www.homeschooloasis.com/art_john_taylor_gatto.htm. John Taylor Gatto has written some very interesting books!
Ok, I'm climbing down off of my high horse now....sorry! I hope I haven't offended anyone.
One last thing - when I started thinking about homeschooling, my husband was unsure about it, too. Now he's a huge proponent!

Be still and know that I am God. Psalm 46:10
Go to Top of Page

jennym
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Jenny
Green Lane PA
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2009 :  07:47:46 AM  Show Profile
Oops! It looks like the link I posted doesn't work - try going to www.homeschooloasis.com, and go into the Article Chart. The link for John Taylor Gatto is on the Homeschooling Basics chart.

P.S. I previewed this before I posted it, and for some reason this link isn't working either (I'm cutting and pasting, so I don't know what's wrong....), but if you just do a search for homeschool oasis, you should find it.

Sorry for all of the trouble!!!!

Be still and know that I am God. Psalm 46:10
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Family Matters: Previous Topic Homeschooling... Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page