Sherries Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Sherrie
Graham WA
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2004 :  7:26:11 PM  Show Profile
Well, here is my recommendation for a good September book to read. Title: The Shop on Blossom Street by Debbie Macomber. Not a story of farming, but one of four women and how their lives are knit together through circumstances. Light, but heartfelt. I'm not halfway through it yet (I read a few chapters a night as my "nightcap" before shutting off the lights).

If you do get a chance to read it...how about a review of sorts?

Happy reading to all and to all a good night...

Sherrie

"When you care enough, you make it yourself."

Edited by - Sherries Farm on Sep 01 2004 7:26:58 PM

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2004 :  7:53:00 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like a good one, I will have to look for it. I love the idea that alot of us may be reading the same book at the same time...better than Oprah's book club..we can be our own little Farmgirl Book club!! I think us reviewing it would be so fun!

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2004 :  06:05:33 AM  Show Profile
Most definately! Reading is my biggest pastime, I love all kinds of books. I get a lot of unusual ones from a catalogue called Bas Bleu.

farmgirl@heart
Longaberger Lover and all things antique
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2004 :  1:08:16 PM  Show Profile
The Farmgirl Book Club! I love it. There is a book that has been out a long time with the title "And Ladies of the Club"....we could be "And Farmgirls of the club".

Do any of you get the catalogue called Bas Blue? It is all about books, and has some good titles and synopsese. I look through and then hunt down the books in my local library or bookstore! They are a little more expensive in the catalogue, but it is fun to look at.

I am currently beginning a book about Texas by Herman Wouk, who wrote "Winds of War" many many years ago. Has anyone read it? Will I like it?

jpbluesky

Love those big blue skies and wide open spaces.
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2004 :  1:09:47 PM  Show Profile
oops, we all think so much alike that I missed that Kim mentioned the same catalogue! Sorry about that, Kim

jpbluesky
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2004 :  4:52:51 PM  Show Profile
No, problem! Great minds think alike!!!! It's my favorite. I love scouring places for unusual books. I have one pick out now called "Sleep Away" It's got vintage pictures of girl at camp and recipes, a bunch of retro funky stuff. I also bought the book everyone was recomending in one of the other forum, The Encyclopedia of Country Living. Lots of neat stuff in it.

farmgirl@heart
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2004 :  5:27:13 PM  Show Profile
Sometimes my husband thinks all I do is read! I do get the Bas Bleu catalog, but have not ordered from it in some time, though I have ordered books from alibris.com - good prices but be sure to read the descriptions of the books' conditions before buying. I am the type of reader who likes to browse in the stores, new/used, and pick up the books before buying, but I have found books on the internet that I could not find elsewhere.

Cecelia

ce's farm
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2004 :  5:39:58 PM  Show Profile
Hi Kim...Is the Sleep Away available in bookstores? who authored it? Sounds like a great read and fun...I love Enc. of Country Living...I recieved it as a wedding gift from my farmgirl sister n law in 1980...it is like a bible to me...the thing is so worn and stained from use I need to get a new one!

Time Flies
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2004 :  5:45:37 PM  Show Profile
I will need to get that catalog..bas bleu!! sounds great. I LOVE new and used book stores and my two oldest grown sons always get me books for gifts..and they are so good at finding the perfect one. I couldn't live without my Encyclopedia of Country living. I love it.

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2004 :  7:18:46 PM  Show Profile
I love the idea of a Farmgirl Book Club of the web! Is there an author for "Sleep Away"? I love your description of "retro funky stuff"! Can one find Bas Bleu on line? I'm hoping for my very own copy of Enc. of Country Living for my birthday...just 10 shopping days from now! I suppose if nobody picks up on my blatant hints, I can "give" it to myself!
Read on, farmgirls!
Sharon
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2004 :  7:42:29 PM  Show Profile
Bas Bleu has a website and you can request a catalogue. www.basbleu.com I think. I pick out a bunch of selections and giveit to my mom for my birthday and Christmas.I have so many books I could start a library. Typical for a daughter of an English teacher, lol! And all the books have reader reviews as well.

Sleep Away I saw in Borders. I can't remember who authored it. Ilove retro stuff, 40's & 50's especially.

I got my copy of Enc of Country Living at Barnes & Nobles. It's a great book. I love all the ideas and recipes for unusual stuff.

farmgirl@heart
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2004 :  7:50:23 PM  Show Profile
I think we need to seriously consider the Farmgirl Book Club. I don't have a lot of time to go out to join a book club (sad), but I can definately sit down and pound out pages and get on line to discuss things.

farmgirl@heart
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2004 :  9:41:30 PM  Show Profile
I will have to check that website and get that catalog.
I am reading a book called Autumn letters right now...really good so far. By Michael Frederick. I just saw it at the library and it looked good. Read a few chapters last night and like it so far. I canned enough peaches today that I have earned the right to read until I go to bed now...haha I think we really need a bookclub. Everyone here seems to love to read and we seem to have alot the same taste in books ..it would be fun!!

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2004 :  05:40:00 AM  Show Profile
If we are a Farmgirl Book Club, consider me in! I have ordered the Enc. of Country Living from Amazon, and am anxiously awaiting it. I thought it would be here by now!

Perhaps we should pick a book to read at the same time, and then talk about it online. Who wants to pick one? :) So many books, so little time!

Besides "A Hole In Texas" by Herman Wouk, I am also reading "A Year by the Sea" by Joan Anderson. I really can't give a review on either yet!

I just finished "Our Lady of the Forest" by Guterson, and it was a little strange, but I did want to finish it. An young runaway girl, who picks mushrooms to make a little money, has visions of the Virgin Mary while in the forest. Her visions attract the media and a following of people.

I also just finished "Early from the Dance" by David Payne. Another slightly strange one, but a good story line about three young kids near Kill Devil Hills, two boys and a girl, who grow up as great friends and experience tragedy together. Both books have sexual content in them, so beware.

jpbluesky

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2004 :  05:46:03 AM  Show Profile
Thanks so much Kim for the bas blue link! I sent off for my cataloge. I agree that a farm girl book club is a great idea! We all seem to be serious bookworms.

Time Flies
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

64 Posts

Dave
Vestal NY
64 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2004 :  3:09:12 PM  Show Profile
I recently bought "The Tipping Point" by Malcolm Gladwell per MJF recommendation. It was a good read, and when done, I listed it on the classifieds at work, but no one was interested in buying it. I am offering it to you Farmgirl's (no charge). If anyone is interested, let me know and you can have it for the price of shipping and postage, whatever that might be, you could round robin it if you like. I don't need to have it back.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2004 :  9:56:22 PM  Show Profile
Interesting idea....we could pass on books after reading them to share them with anyone interested. I have a copy of "The Notebook" that I would gladly pass on too!

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

Sherries Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Sherrie
Graham WA
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2004 :  09:18:36 AM  Show Profile
I have to say this topic is going well. I love the idea of passing on books (esp. paperbacks, cheap to send if sent by book rate via usps). Though, I am sad to say I obtain most all of my books from our county library...only purchasing books of reference type (i.e., knitting, cooking, farming, etc.).

A Farmgirls Book Club would be wonderful. Are we talking about setting up one title a month for all to read and then discuss? Or just sharing? I may end up buying a few books then.

How was The Notebook, Jenny? Wasn't there a movie based on the book that recently came out?

Happy reading to all...

Sherrie

"When you care enough, you make it yourself."

Edited by - Sherries Farm on Sep 04 2004 09:19:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2004 :  10:12:34 AM  Show Profile
Hi to all fellow readers! I also read The Notebook and saw the movie. It is a good story about commitment and love and romance that lasts a lifetime. The sequel is called "The Wedding" and is also a great book dealing with the same subjects, only told through the eyes of The Notebook's main character's son-in-law.
I would recommend both - easy to read, but not too sweet and with great messages.

jpbluesky

Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2004 :  3:53:59 PM  Show Profile
Hi think that the Farm Girl Book Club is a great idea. I just brought the new Herman Wouk book home from the library where I work. I would like to encourage everyone to check out the mystery author Susan Wittig Albert. She has a new Beatrix Potter title coming out this month. It starts when her fiance died, and she bought a farm and began teaching herself to farm.

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

sourjayne
worker bee

67 Posts

sarah
seattle washington
67 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2004 :  4:02:29 PM  Show Profile
I'd love to compensate you for the Tipping Point. Send it to me at the farm. 1000 Wild Iris Lane, Moscow, ID 83843

Sarah (sourjayne)

No artificial sweeteners added.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2004 :  4:43:24 PM  Show Profile
I never saw the movie of "The Notebook"..but heard it was really good. I keep meaning to read "The Wedding" too, just havn't got to it yet.
I loved "The Notebook"...great read...Jeannie described it really well.
I have shared it with 2 friends here in town, and it just came back yesterday...so it is ready to share if anyone wants it.

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2004 :  4:37:51 PM  Show Profile
ooh, I love Beatrix Potter! I saw her residence in England. I was in heaven. I am reading "The Secret Life of Bees" right now. I just stated it yesterday and I am on chapter 4 already. I would love to try a title every month or 2 and have a discussion. I am also willing to pass books along.

farmgirl@heart
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

64 Posts

Dave
Vestal NY
64 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2004 :  5:45:01 PM  Show Profile
Hi Sarah, should be able to mail out "The Tipping Point" this Saturday, and will send it to you at MJF address...
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2004 :  12:11:10 PM  Show Profile
Oh, I was just going to ask Dave about swapping books...but I see you're already sending out "The Tipping Point".
I have LOTS of books I've finished with...perhaps we could swap some...what kind of books do you like to read?

Cecelia

ce's farm
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2004 :  1:11:13 PM  Show Profile
I also love to read and have an extensive library. I get most of my books at yard sales, the goodwill or other thrift stores. It is amazing what wonderful books are out there for a song. I read the "Secret life of Bees" on recommendation from a friend who was returning it to the library and who knew we were starting our own adventures in bee keeping this year. What a wonderful read. I also read and own the tipping point if anyone is interrested in my copy I would be happy to send it on.
A farmgirl/boy book club would be a blast! Count me in.
I am currently reading "The Sweet Breathing of Plants" a compilation of writings by women on the green world. Edited by Linda Hogan and Brenda Peterson. It is just right for those short bursts of rest that I need between tasks. My lawn swing, a glass of cool water, and a good book. Read where I can hear the wildlife all around me.
My husband and I have been reading for 1 hour out loud to each other every night before bed now for 33 years. We had no TV while we raised our kids and only got a computer monitor to use in conjunction with a VCR after they were all in high school. Reading to each other has always been a favorite pastime. While one of us reads the rest of us can be working on hand crafts or art projects.
The most recent series Rodney and I read out loud was The Celtic Crusades series by Stephen R. Lawhead beginning with "The Iron Lance"
The first series we read outloud together shortly after our marriage was the Hobbit and " The Lord of the Rings" trilogy. We were both college students at the time and both were required to read these books. It started a tradition in our home.
Eileen

songbird
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Reading Room: Previous Topic Book Recommendation Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page