Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2004 :  3:46:39 PM  Show Profile
How romantic! Reading to each other all these years. That is beautiful. What is "The Tipping Point" about?

I am currently reading "Secret Life of Bees" and I am really enjoying it. "The Sweet Breathing of Plants" sounds interesting. Who is the author?

farmgirl@heart
Longaberger Lover and all things antique
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

64 Posts

Dave
Vestal NY
64 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2004 :  4:06:35 PM  Show Profile
The Tipping Point - How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference. It is an intellectual adventure story written with an infectious enthusiasm for the power and joy of new ideas. Most of all, it is a road map to change, with a profoundly hopeful message - that one imaginative person applying a well-placed lever can move the world. (Hmmmm, sounds like MJ to me, smile)
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2004 :  05:05:12 AM  Show Profile
I'll have to look for it at our library. It sounds good.

farmgirl@heart
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2004 :  06:26:50 AM  Show Profile
Eileen,
I'll take you up on your copy of "The Tipping Point"...if it is still available. Please post me off line and let me know how I can repay for postage. It sounds similar in theme to "Pay It Forward".

I love the idea of sharing books this way, and I'm inspired to go through the bookshelves and see what I have to share with the rest of the farmgirl(and boy) readers!

thanks,
Sharon
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2004 :  12:33:54 PM  Show Profile
Ive just picked up 2 books from the library, one is "The Shop on Blossom Street" and the other "Lark Rise to Candleford" the latter was mentioned in an article in "Time" magazine, which had an article a couple of weeks back about living to 100 and beyond. I have to live that long because there are so many books I haven't gotten to yet!
The latter books was recommended by a 100+ yr. old lady, who is reading it...it is about living in the early 19th century. The "Tipping Point" sounds interesting, I'll put that on my list...so many books, so little time....

Cecelia

ce's farm
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2004 :  3:35:44 PM  Show Profile
I agree, I have enough books that I have purchased or received as gift to keep me reading until the end of time, but I can't help myself. There are too many great reads out there. Must be my English Teacher mother's influence on me.

farmgirl@heart
Go to Top of Page

Sherries Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Sherrie
Graham WA
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2004 :  7:19:59 PM  Show Profile
Ok...I placed The Notebook and The Wedding on hold through the county library. Of course, as my luck has it...The Wedding arrived today. I plan to send it back and wait for The Notebook...have to stay in order ya know.

Still working on The Shop on Blossom Street. I really need DH to build me a book stand so I can read and knit at the same time. LOL I do plan on finishing the book by the end of this weekend.

Another book for suggestion, Skipping Christmas by John Grisham. Short, light hearted read. For those of you that haven't read it...a great book to pickup the first of November. Will brighten your holidays.

Sherrie

"When you care enough, you make it yourself."

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2004 :  9:35:03 PM  Show Profile
I LOVED Skipping Christmas....would recomend that one too!

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2004 :  10:24:16 PM  Show Profile
I read Slipping Christmas too. It was good for some laughs. I agree, read it early in November!
Sharon
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

64 Posts

Dave
Vestal NY
64 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2004 :  08:40:53 AM  Show Profile
Sarah, The Tipping Point is in the mail, sent it book rate, so not sure when it will arrive. It was less than 2 bucks for the mailer and postage so I am not looking for any reimbursement. Let me know when it arrives.
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2004 :  12:17:26 PM  Show Profile
Good afternoon to all. I would love for us to start a FarmGirls' Book/Reading Group this month before all of the holiday rush starts in the Autumn and Winter. There are sooooooooo many good books out there, but perhaps we could select 3 titles, vote on them and then read #1 of course. We would also have to decide on a timeframe for each title. If we wanted to make things easier, we could then proceed to read #'s 2 and 3 which would probably get us to the end of the year if we decided to skip December.

I think that it is a wonderful idea to pass books along but having worked as a librarian for 30 years, I would encourage everyone to also check out the public library for needed books if money is tight. No one in our society should ever have to give up reading due to a lack of money.

Will look forward to receiving your responses and great ideas.

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2004 :  4:05:56 PM  Show Profile
I agree Connie. I am up for it!

By the way, those of you who wanted to know the author of "Sleep Away,The Girls of Summer and the Camps They Love" it's by Laurie Susan Kahn. I broke down and bought it today. I wil lsnuggle down and check it out tonight.

farmgirl@heart
Go to Top of Page

LakesideQltr
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Sheila
CA
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2004 :  08:34:11 AM  Show Profile  Send LakesideQltr a Yahoo! Message
I just got to the library Friday afternoon and one of the books I picked up was The Secret Life of Bees since so many of you have mentioned it...this is the second time I've checked it out having gotten it once for my teen daughter. (she got into something way more stimulating and never read but a chapter or two at the time). I also picked up a several novels, a compilation of interviews with 28 of America's most noted Women Writers, and a quilting book. I'm trying to pace myself as I tend to like thrillers/suspense/intrigue best and I find if I read those first from a collection I've brought home from the library then the more serene, profound novels don't "pull" me much. I LOVE the idea of a book club - tried to participate in one at a coffee shop near my commuter station when I worked in Chicago but the first book they selected was Confederacy of Dunces and I was just disgusted! I'm making a list (I don't DO lists normally - most often lost before used) of books/authors to investigate based on the influences mentioned by the women writers in the interviews I'm reading. I was often priviledged in school to be in advanced English/Lit classes and thus now I find that because I was on a sort of accelerated recommended reading itinerary I missed alot of the standard classics. Am finding a desire to absorb some of those now with my last of four kids in High School. (she's participating in Academic Decathalon and suggested reading is the Tragedies of Shakespeare, which I'm just realizing I never read. <sighs>)
-Sheila

Life is what happens while you're making other plans - John Lennon
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Reading Room: Previous Topic Book Recommendation Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page