shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2008 :  1:52:13 PM  Show Profile
Yes, losing that calf WAS hard on me, since I KNEW I could have saved her at the first sign of illness. My husband insisted she had a respiratory issue, but my instincts told me it was her belly. When I listened to her lungs with my sthethescope they were clear. When I listened to her belly-- No sound. That's NOT a good thing to "hear" in ANY living creature. I tried to get some milk and some electrolytes down her, but it was too late for that. The only thing we could have done at that point was to have the vet come out and hook her up to an IV. Not something my husband was willing to pay for.

If I HAD been taking care of her from the first day all that never would have happened ( or at least, it would not have been so bad). I've been rasing sheep long enough to know you can't make sudden changes to a Ruminants feed (or any animal really) and not expect to have trouble. My husband never even asked how OLD that calf was, let alone what she was eating, if she'd had shots etc..... Thank God I had not backed down about him putting them in the pasture with the other animals so none of them have been exposed to the newcomers. Guess it IS time for me to do A LITTLE interference here and get some shots, some wormer, bovine sized hazard suits etc..... (LOL!) But HE can feed and water them. AND clean up their poop!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2008 :  3:18:38 PM  Show Profile
Jenny - so glad that "our girl" is doing much better! I was worried!

Handmade Soap and More! http://www.therusticcottagebath.com
The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com

PROUD FARMGIRL SISTER #100
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Mona sick Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page