shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2008 :  3:56:34 PM  Show Profile
If someone would have told me 3 months ago that I would be caring for a kitten who needed his "Pants" changed twice a day, I'd say they were CRAZY!!! Well, that must be the theme of my life-- because it's really happening!

You hear stories all the time about amazing animals that overcome such terrible odds, well Dan is certainly one of them. After he turned up crippled and severly injured on one leg, I thought for sure he was going to die. I even asked my oldest son to "Take care of that poor kitty so he doesn't have to suffer anymore" Well, my son couldn't do it. (funny he never has a problem butchering sheep, shooting my chickens or killing RATS!!) He said "Mom, I just CAN'T do it! He want's to LIVE!!"

I was NOT thrilled with the prospect of caring for a crippled 3 wk old kitten. I did not have the money to take him to the vet and my son refused to do anything about him. I was at a total loss, but I could not just sit back and not try to do SOMETHING for him. I had already been feeding him before he got hurt, and since he continued to "ask" for food I was not going to stop. I brought him in the house, doctored his leg (which needed stitches but, again, there was that vet bill I couldn't afford), put him in a box and expected him not to last long.

Well, that was nearly 3 months ago. I am happy to report that Lieutenant Dan is alive and well, thriving and growing like a weed! He's a VERY busy kitty spending his days playing with the Chihuahua-monsters (my female, "Marley" is his best buddy), chasing the broom, climbing on the furniture (and JUMPING off of it!!), dumping over his food bowl and chasing the cat food bits across the kithen floor, and napping in front of the warm wood stove. People who come to visit just can't believe they're actually seeing a cat in diapers (I poke a hole in them so his tail sticks out!). Some of them even say it's mean of me to let him "Suffer." If he's suffering, HE certainly doesn't know he is! If a furball in "pants" zipping around the house, chasing anything and everything that MOVES is suffering so terribly, then I hope he "suffers" for a long time to come. I've since given up thougths of "Poor little kitty, he's not going to make it..."

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2008 :  4:18:40 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
He sounds really sweet. How come he can't learn to use a litter box?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2008 :  4:53:07 PM  Show Profile
Dan IS sweet Alee. He's the cutest, sweetest, most AMAZING creature I have ever known!! (He looks like an Abysinian by the way, only black/dark grey instead of the typical brown coloring. And he has big GREEN eyes!)

As for using the litter box, well, when I thought his back was broken that also made me think that he had no idea of when he "had to go." I know now that his back is NOT broken, since he can move his tail, but he still has no concept of when he has to pee. I have come home a few times to little trails all over my kitchen floor because his diaper had come off. (they were too big at first, but they fit much better now) He also drags his lower half and his little body was getting very raw and irritated. The diapers help alleviate the friction and so he has no more sores in places he shouldn't have, and the hair has since grown back on his belly.

It's been a learning process for BOTH of us. I'm just amazed that he is so ALIVE!!! He doesn't seem to realize that there is anything "wrong" with him. We do have a litter box in the kitchen and he has shown some interest in it. I have thought about putting him in it and seeing what he does, but I have to be careful of his leg. I will spare you the details of what it looks like, but a litter box, at this point, is not very sanitary for that leg. So far there has been no infection due to daily doctoring, and I keep it medicated and well wrapped, but I fear that, eventually, it WILL need to be removed. Until then, I'm not worried about having to diaper a cat. As long as he stays healthy that's all that really matters. Hugs ~~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2008 :  5:00:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Tracey- I am not sure if it is too far gone into healing at this point, but have you ever tried using super glue? There is a medical version of super glue called "Liquid Stitches". Basically you glue the wound shut and then put some sterile paper or tape over the top to provide some structure.

At the horse ranch we had a show filly get a pretty ghastly injury when she was 3 months old and it was pretty gruesome all summer but it finally healed and she barely has a scar now!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2008 :  5:27:07 PM  Show Profile
Tracey, I have a three legged cat named , imaginatively "Bandit". He was nailed by a harvester and barely made it. He is pretty much convinced that he is the toughest cat around still, So having the leg removed won't slow him down terribly. Your Dan sounds very much the sort to take such a thing in stride.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Mud Hen Queen
MJ's Heirloom Maven's Librarian

Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2008 :  6:25:26 PM  Show Profile
wow That is just wonderful.. Kudos to the little guy!!!!

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

Laura Marie
True Blue Farmgirl

419 Posts

Laura
Rancho Cordova California
USA
419 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2008 :  7:17:47 PM  Show Profile
Wow! That is amazing. It's incredible how a little four leggy furry creator can change our lives to making better than we thought they could be. I'm so happy to you for taking him under your wing and taking care of the little guy. You are his mommy....
Give him a little hug for me!
Laura Marie #369
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2008 :  06:36:08 AM  Show Profile
Tracy, I make a paste of aloe gel and Turmeric and put that on sores that won't heal very fast. It really works. I use it on animals and us.

My hubby is diabetic and if he gets those ulcers on his feet, we use this. Within days, he's healed.

I had a duck that my dog practically mutilated once. The whole back was exposed. I slathered this on him and within a week he was much better. He's still out there now.

Good luck with the little guy. And you must have lots of patience and compassion to do this for a kitten. But who knows what we'd do until we have to. Lucky kitty to have found you, girl.

Kris
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2008 :  06:42:46 AM  Show Profile
We had a cat that lost a leg by a farm implement. We made a "cart" for his back half out of an old metal roller skate. He did quite well and still zooms around my ex-MIL's house.

Once you try the litter box, just take his front paw and scratch it in the litter, then rub a dry paper towell on his bum, it should stimulate him to go, but when he is healed.

Obviously this cat knows and trusts you. He does have a will.... and I love the name!!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens/Mother Hen

http://heirloommavens.blogspot.com
http://harvestthymefarm.blogspot.com
http://gyspycowgirlcreations.blogspot.com
"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2008 :  08:06:52 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the cheers, encouragement, and advice ladies! It's really appreciated.

As for the Super glue technique, I do know about that. The thing is--- there is NOTHING to glue. When Dan ripped open the leg he got an --- uh, how do I say this? --- "Infestation" (you can just imagine what I mean). That's what prompted me to bring him in the house. I could not bear the thought of allowing him to just be "eaten away," and it was too hard to keep the "critters" off of him by leaving him outside. It took 3 days to get rid of the problem, but I think it actually may have helped some. Any dead tissue was taken care of, but it left a BIGGER problem--- no skin and no fur, which seemed to come off with his bandage each time I doctored that leg. There is NOTHING there to stitch or glue back together. Just what was underneath. Not a pertty sight, but no infection either which I thank God for!!!

I clean the wound every day with straight apple cider vinegar, dry it, then smear on a paste of Wonder dust, triple antibiotic ointment and Fura-Zone (all stuff for my Horses!). I wrap the leg with a strip of heavy gauze then wrap it again with that self sticking bandage. Dan takes the doctoring in stride. He complains a little when I pull the old bandage off and again when I'm wrapping it, but other than that he's pretty good about it. It's actually harder to get his DIAPER ON!!! Oh boy does he complain about THAT! He tries to scooch off on me and I have to chase him down. Considering his circumstances-- he's the fastest thing on TWO LEGS!!!! (LOL!!)

After the holidays, or when I get some extra money, I AM going to take him to the vet and have Dan's leg looked at. If the Vet says "Take it off," well, that's what we'll do. I have little doubt in my mind and in my heart that Dan is going to make it, so spending the money for surgery is not going to bother me so much as it would have before I knew how determined he was to live. I'm sure you can all understand that.

Kristin, thanks for sharing your recipe for wounds. I have been looking for a better alternative to the fura-zone (the rest is ok) and I think you may have offered a good one, but I will have to look into the possible side affects for cats. Normally I would use Tea Tree oil to treat a wound like his, but I had read somewhere a long time ago that Tea Tree oil is actually TOXIC to cats. Funny thing is, I could not find that bottle when I wanted it. It's a good thing too, because I went on line and found it REALLY IS toxic to cats. There are also several other things you can't use on cats that you might think would be ok. But I will look into it and give it a try. Thanks for the suggestions! I'll keep you all posted on how he's doing. If I can figure out how to post a picture of him I'd like to put it on here so you could all get a look at the little guy that's taken over my house!!! (Not to mention my HEART!) Hugs to you all ~~~ Tracy

Go to Top of Page

frolicnfibers
True Blue Farmgirl

668 Posts

Diana
White City Oregon
USA
668 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2008 :  08:27:05 AM  Show Profile
That's an amazing story Tracy. Good luck to your little one!

Diana

Please come visit my animals and my Etsy store on my new blog!
http://www.frolicnfibers.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

clux64
True Blue Farmgirl

162 Posts

Celeste
Blair NE
USA
162 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2008 :  09:06:12 AM  Show Profile
I LOVE this story! I had a foster cat that our local vet was supposed to put down because the family that had her as a kitten couldn't afford the fix her broken leg. The poor guy just couldn't do it! He called the rescue organization I'm involved with...asked if we would pay the cost of materials for the surgery (she had a rod and screw in her leg), and I took her in. She was awesome, love at first sight. Some of these critters are just 'special' and you can tell, just ask my crusty old vet...

Celeste

"No matter where you go, there you are"
--Confucious

www.urbanprairiehome.blogspot.com

Edited by - clux64 on Nov 12 2008 10:08:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2008 :  09:42:09 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Good luck to you and Lt. Dan, Tracy. I think you're both pretty special!

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2008 :  09:48:54 AM  Show Profile
Do you have any pics?
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2008 :  10:21:16 AM  Show Profile
Thanks again ladies. And Kudos to the ladies here that have ALSO raised and loved "Special" critters. Dan is not my first "Special" pet, (his buddy, Marley the Chihuahua, is nearly blind. She's just 1yr old), and I'm sure he won't be the LAST. There is just something inspiring about an animal that has overcome the odds. I mean, PEOPLE are amazing, but animals like Dan, and Dawn, Annika and Janice's cats, are even more amazing becuase they are just so in love with life and so full of energy despite being "different."

There are so many people quick to say "Get rid of that poor thing!" I say "Why?" If the animal is not suffering and there is someone willing to take the time, the energy, and everything else that goes into their care, WHY "get rid of them?" We don't do that to PEOPLE do we? I do believe it shows the true character of a person by how they treat an animal. Even MORE so if that animal has some kind of handicap. Besides, I just couldn't live with myself had I ignored him and just let things happen.

Trust me, I did NOT want to do this, but like I said, I couldn't just ignore his plight, especially since every time I walked out the back door, there he was, scooching down the sidewalk asking me to feed him, to pet him... to love him. So, here we are. He's not suffering. He's growing like a weed. He's the happiest darn cat I've ever seen and the other animals have accepted him wholeheartedly. My kids just LOVE him! (they are all boys-- ages 18, 17 and 13, so that tells you something! In fact, it was my youngest son who named him).

What's a few minutes out of my day to change his diapers and doctor his leg? I'm not so busy (or SELFISH) that I can't do that. He pretty much does his own thing all day, but to keep him healthy I DO have to do MY part. Such a small sacrifice I'm willing to make for a creature that makes me laugh and brings joy and peace to my heart. And watching him and Marley play all day, it's just too funny for words! A nearly blind Chihuahua and a crippled cat in diapers. How hilarious is THAT? They really make my day. Hugs~~ Tracy

Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2008 :  06:17:39 AM  Show Profile
Tracy: you are a very special person indeed. Animals instinctively just "know". What a treasure Lt. Dan and you both are!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens/Mother Hen

http://heirloommavens.blogspot.com
http://harvestthymefarm.blogspot.com
http://gyspycowgirlcreations.blogspot.com
"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Lieutenant Dan Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page