Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Rug hooking anyone?????
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Rug hooking anyone????? Next Topic
Page: of 6

Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

3003 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA
3003 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2008 :  12:47:11 PM  Show Profile
You go Steph!! It's looking awesome! :)

http://bonne1313.blogspot.com/ BLOG
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2008 :  11:06:59 PM  Show Profile
I've got to do a major rearrange next to my sewing chair...gotta figure out a way to layout all the different colors of wool strips. I'm starting another Mug rug..and also realized that size would make a good pinkeep.

ok, what's everyone else working on??

Stephanie
www.queenofdreamsz.blogspot.com ~~~Crochet, Sewing, Life Collections & Recollections Blog
www.dreamkingdomdesigns.blogspot.com Vintage & Modern Fabric, Fiber & Yarn Blog
www.dreamkingdomdesigns.com ~~~~~Go Shopping at my Website Catalog!!
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2008 :  01:03:30 AM  Show Profile
Stephanie, your mug rug is lovely. Love the colors. For not having all the equipment, you are going to town. Love your blog.
Ann, I think you are right about making my own rug hooking frame. I am checking into the gripper strips. Hubby is putting in the wood stove in his shop..(I am excited) I will be able to use my wood lathe and make picture frames soon. Besides when the wind is blowing and the temp is below zero, I love to stand or sit by a warm wood stove! I think I can make a couple of heavy weight picture frames and just put legs between them for the stand and add the gripper to the top frame on all 4 sides. For those that have rug hooking frames, will I need to consider anything else?
Beverley, sounds like you are hooked too.
Looking for spitting snow today
Sarita

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

The people who make a difference in your life are NOT the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones who care.
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2008 :  2:01:20 PM  Show Profile
Hey Sarita, you need to hinge the frame to the back of the stand so you can lift up to see the back of your work or to reach easier if needed....and the one thing I've read that makes complete sense is that your frame pieces should be curved instead of just a flat piece of wood...once the gripper strips are attached and curve around then it makes your foundation fabric really grip good..It's the slight lifting of the "teeth" that make the foundation snug. Hope that made sense.

And I also have read to always remove your foundation from the frame between periods of working on it so it doesn't overly stress the foundation.

Since I'm waiting on my frame and fabric and hook I tryed several of my crochet hooks and none really worked very well..then I tryed this buillion stitch crochet hook and it works pretty good...the shaft on it is long and the hook part is almost pointed at the turn so it goes throught the weave easier.

Stephanie
www.queenofdreamsz.blogspot.com ~~~Crochet, Sewing, Life Collections & Recollections Blog
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2008 :  4:02:42 PM  Show Profile
I've put up my newest rug hooking that's in progress..queenofdreamsz.blogspot.com
I finally decided on and got my frame, hooks and some linen ordered yesterday! YAY!..maybe I'll have it by the end of the week.

Y'all go take a look at my heart.

Stephanie
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2008 :  4:45:27 PM  Show Profile
Oh stephanie, i went to your blog and checked out your heart with wings in progress. soooo pretty!!!! now what kind of banking was that on..? I am just learning so still asking a lot of questions. thanks

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2008 :  08:07:54 AM  Show Profile
Stephanie, love your heart. You do such a nice job. You give me inspiration! and hope!
I got my new rug hooking book yesterday. It is very nice but I also got some new sheep rubber stamps and was so tired from work and the hectic weekend with all the family and friends we had in. Fell asleep in my recliner reading the first page....maybe tonight.
Thank you for the good ideas on my rug hooking frame.

The people who make a difference in your life are NOT the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones who care.
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2008 :  8:44:59 PM  Show Profile
Hey Beverley, I'm working with what is called Primitive weave Linen...it's got about 14 holes per inch which is good for the #8 (1/4")cuts of wool and up to 1" cuts...The primitive style is good for beginners but I quickly see that I need to be able to cut 1/8" or less for some of the detail areas....like the wings in this heart design. I will order me a cloth cutter soon. My rotary cutter and ruler work well for a little under 1/4" then I start getting wavy results.

I worked the first piece on Burlap and then received the handdyed wool and she had given me a free pattern that was on linen....so I didn't really care for it and cut up a piece of linen to work the heart on...LINEN rocks!! So much easier to see the weave and much stronger..it does cost more and you can really enjoy the difference...

Sarita, you read any of your book?? Stay awake, girl!! :o)

Stephanie
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2008 :  11:25:54 AM  Show Profile
By us I have seen linen burlap that comes in a package but never have seen primitive linen .. I will keep looking. Thanks for the info!!!

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2008 :  11:45:37 AM  Show Profile
Beverley,

To start you could try that burlap linen blend and see how it does then order the linen if you want to switch..

Stephanie
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2008 :  12:04:49 PM  Show Profile
Stephanie, The heart is really pretty! Great job!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2008 :  12:34:45 PM  Show Profile
Wow, Stephanie.....beautiful design and nice hooking! FOr those of you looking for material...burlap can stretch and linen can be expensive so the middle of the road and a nice material to hook on is Monk's cloth. It comes by the yard in most fabric stores.
I need to get 'hookin' a stepstool for my grandson with his name on it. I have an ornament and cookie exchange coming up the 8th dor I just finished making ornaments but they weren't hooked.
You gals are so good! I have some hooked things but can't find them at the moment...when I do I will post! Keep on hookin...it's lookin great!

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226

www.farmgirlsam.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2008 :  4:23:13 PM  Show Profile
Hey Sandra, would love to see your hooking when you find it!

Stephanie
Go to Top of Page

apronann
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Ann
Camdenton mo
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2008 :  10:39:07 AM  Show Profile
my keyboard is acting up_ so sorry for the strangeness of my text> i"m dyeing more wool today_ boiling it on the stove< a piece of blue wool with a piece of white ends up making really cool cloudy sky fabric> i"ve learned a little more about this_ after taking apart lots of wool garments< i leanred that jackets don"t have very much wool in them> the most you can usually get is the back and sleeves> not worth the trouble> skirts< on the other hand< are easy and quick> using two colors of wool yarn together and then clipping the loops is very cool> lots of texture> my mom used to use drapery linen_ remnants< etc< for rug backing> i have a little and i"ll try it next_ let you know>
Go in the direction of your dreams- live the life you imagine...

Edited by - apronann on Dec 05 2008 10:50:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

apronann
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Ann
Camdenton mo
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2008 :  10:53:37 AM  Show Profile
oh and i read a tip for copying designs onto backing fabric> use netting to trace over the design< then use a sharpie and trace over the lines on the netting onto the backing> isn"t that neat?

Go in the direction of your dreams- live the life you imagine...
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2008 :  06:35:18 AM  Show Profile
Does anyone have a pattern for a tea cozy that I could hook? I think I would line it with wool felted thick to keep the tea pot hot...what do you think. It is hot tea time for us,we have good strong sweet hot tea after doing the chores in the evening. It always hits the spot but I don't have a tea cozy and would really like to try and make one.

Go to Top of Page

kim9365
True Blue Farmgirl

53 Posts

Kimberly
Salem Ohio
USA
53 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2008 :  07:32:17 AM  Show Profile
Hello! I am new here. I am making my mother in law a rug for christmas. It is my first time trying this craft. Its fun, easy and takes alot of time but its worth it. I bought a kit and had to buy the fabric extra. I didnt like the design so I just did my own. I used a 40% off coupon for the fabric, which really helped. I am considering maybe making 1 to sell. does anyone have any idea on what to charge? or how I determine how much to charge? I have been making and selling crafts for over 20 years and this would be something that could be passed down from one generation to the next.Has anyone here ever sold their hooked rugs? Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2008 :  09:08:45 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Kimberly, I am just starting to rug hook so I am of no help but there is so many talented gals on this site that I know someone will be able to help you. You will need to put up a picture of the one you are working on when you are finished.

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2008 :  10:09:42 AM  Show Profile
Kimberly, Welcome to Farmgirl Connection! I am sure you will find some one who can help you with pricing!

Sarita, I e-mailed you about the fleece! I sat and spun yarn for about 3 hrs last night and my legs are so sore this morning!! I have a definite feeling I am going to get into rug hooking! I was looking through some craft books the other night and I found some beautiful patterns!! Here we go again!

Monica
famrgirls rule!

www.justdukcy48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

3003 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA
3003 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2008 :  11:36:08 AM  Show Profile
Oh, this is just great....for some reason Monica's enthusiasm for certain crafts winds up rubbing off on me...
Now I get this news that she's becoming interested in rug-hooking.....has she no mercy?!! Maybe I should stop reading this thread while I'm still safe from her mind control........ROFL

http://bonne1313.blogspot.com/ BLOG
Go to Top of Page

kim9365
True Blue Farmgirl

53 Posts

Kimberly
Salem Ohio
USA
53 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2008 :  3:16:20 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Keeper of the Past

Welcome Kimberly, I am just starting to rug hook so I am of no help but there is so many talented gals on this site that I know someone will be able to help you. You will need to put up a picture of the one you are working on when you are finished.

Thank you! I got the rug finished tonight. I used blue check gingham, burgandy check gingham and tea dyed muslin. Since this is my first rug I decided to just alternate the colors. I didnt do any elaborate design. My next one I would like to try a design. I will post a pic on here as soon as I get some batteries for my digital camera. I do want to experiment with clothing fabric as well and go to some thrift stores and see what I can find.
It did take me awhile to complete this one and I am already itching to work on another one. It is addicting. This time I want to make one for myself. I always make crafts and never make anything for myself.
I am still curious is anyone knows how to price a finished rug to sell. cause I would love to make some and sell a few to make some extra cash on ebay.
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2008 :  3:35:09 PM  Show Profile
Kimberly, You may want to check out what items are being sold for on etsy and ebay! That would give you some idea of what other pieces are going for!

Bonne, Maybe we are just twins separated at birth!!!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2008 :  3:41:11 PM  Show Profile
Bonne, sounds like you should just go ahead and get your rug hooking supplies! Monica, how much yarn did you get spun? Are you plying it? I think I am going to use handspun 1 ply thicker yarn to rug hook with. I weave with it all the time and the rugs are thick and soft.
I didn't get your email yet. I will go check again.
Kimberly, sounds like you have found a hobby you enjoy and I know that if I enjoy something, I can sit and do it for hours...spinning, knitting, weaving and hopefully soon rug hooking.

Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2008 :  5:36:59 PM  Show Profile
Hey Kimberly, Nice to meet you..so glad to see another hooker...I gotta see your rug you did with the cottons strips.

Monica and Bonne, I've been patiently waiting for the two of you to surrender to this awesome artform..hehehehe...oh, how I love it when we lose control and just gotta do it!

Sarita, haven't seen any patterns for the tea cozy but you can easily draw your shape and get to hooking girlie! Let it evolve...

I've got my 10 x 10 sit-on gripper fram..it's fab!! totally amazing how your foundation will grip totally snug and to move it you just pull it and it lets go....magic! I broke down and ordered a cloth cutter with all the cutting blades...MERRY CHRISTMAS to me..YAHOO!!!

I have found out that you really need to cut some very thin strips to get details to look good...like the wings on my heart...well, NO wings this time...LOL It looked totally wonky!! But I did go around the heart a few times using some recycled sari silk yarn that I forgot I had..it looks good...so now I'm filling in the background to finish it off. My cutter should be here early in the weeks so I can get me another heart with wings designs drawn up.

If you start out with a design a decent size (bigger than 6 x 6 inches..LOL you can use your rotary and ruler to cut down to an 1/8" strip....I started out with a design too small to use 1/8" strips for the details..totally lost the effect of the design.....my first time so was clueless til I realized it wasn't gonna work.

Just a thought..I LOVE hooking on the LINEN..I realize it's expensive but if enough of us went in together we could get a whole bolt and split it between us to bring down the yardage price....maybe later on when there's more of us....I ran across a few sites that really cut the price if you buy a bolt.

Stephanie
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2008 :  5:40:11 PM  Show Profile
Oh, and now my head is buzzing about hooking with strips of silk from thrifted tops! I picked them up all summer and as I've been reading about all the different media that's being used to hook with...well, it just seems like it would be awefully pretty for some wallhangings.

Stephanie
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Rug hooking anyone????? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page