Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Rug hooking anyone?????
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Rug hooking anyone????? Next Topic
Page: of 6

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2008 :  10:16:54 PM  Show Profile
Well...I'm on the verge of hooking in two neighborhoods...one on Crochet Blvd and the other on Rug Hooking Lane!!

I have many stair treads that I want to decorate and cushion a bit for my sore feet and for tiny Miss Morgan..She'll slip on that bare wood trying to get up them. :0)

So my head is buzzing with what size hook, what width strips and now I want to know can I use lengths of roving to hook with as well as the wool felted fabrics... I thought it would be pretty and the pressure of walking on it would naturally felt it over time.....oh, and I have all these wool sweaters in my stash to felt..some are light weight. I can use those light weight ones to hook with??

I already have a needlework frame and stand so I guess I can use that to attach my foundation...

Stephanie
www.queenofdreamsz.blogspot.com ~~~Crochet, Sewing, Life Collections & Recollections Blog
www.dreamkingdomdesigns.blogspot.com Vintage & Modern Fabric, Fiber & Yarn Blog
www.dreamkingdomdesigns.com ~~~~~Go Shopping at my Website Catalog!!
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2008 :  05:41:41 AM  Show Profile
I got up and checked my emails first thing...disappointment. I got an email from the lady that I purchased the rug hooking book on Ebay,Rug Hooking for the First Time by Donna Lovelady,and she said they had a family emergency and would just be sending out my book today by media mail, here I have been looking for it over a week and just knew that today would be the day, Oh well this I shall get over too! I have never been a person with patience but as I get older, I have really laxed back. God is good and all things happen for a reason. Thanks for reading this, I am over it now!

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

The people who make a difference in your life are NOT the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones who care.
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2008 :  10:09:28 AM  Show Profile
Sarita, sorry your book got delayed...I hate using media mail..it takes forever to get to me where my apartment is..I've had two books NEVER show up...drag, drag...anyhow, patience is hard when you're ready to do something NOW!

Stephanie
www.queenofdreamsz.blogspot.com ~~~Crochet, Sewing, Life Collections & Recollections Blog
Go to Top of Page

Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

3003 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA
3003 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2008 :  11:35:28 AM  Show Profile
Plus we have to wait longer to see what Sarita does AFTER scoping through the book!! lol
That's what I'm waiting for. Her sheep purse is just to die for!! did you see that on her blog Steph?

http://bonne1313.blogspot.com/ BLOG
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2008 :  6:34:08 PM  Show Profile
No Bonne, I had not seen the purse but just went and looked. Too cool..:0) Sarita, those mittens you are knitting in the loose wool is totally awesome..that is what you are doing, right?

Stephanie
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2008 :  10:22:12 AM  Show Profile
Stephanie, you knit with yarn but you take pieces of wool and put over your needle and just knit the wool into the mitten as you go. Very simple and very fun.

The people who make a difference in your life are NOT the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones who care.
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2008 :  11:58:13 AM  Show Profile
Sarita, very cool!!

I'm off to the thrift store in a little bit in search of wool skirts...woohoo!!! I've got enough linen to get me started and after reading I see that sewing on your twill tape or fabric around the design edges BEFORE starting to hook has a real advantage..glad I took time to read..I usually dive in head first and do it all backwards..LOL Now, I'm also gonna get started using a crochet hook to pull up the loops until I get my hook delivered. It seems like it should work.

Hobby Lobby used to sell the nice linen at a much less price than some you see...I did notice that a seller on Ebay is selling cuffs to wear to protect your wrist and arm if you are using burlap to hook on. They look like acrylic tubes probably..But I love linen!

Stephanie
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2008 :  12:31:51 PM  Show Profile
Well, crap!! the piece of linen that I have has a tighter weave to it than I need...I bought it for hand embroidery or xstitch..so now to search for the right linen weave...I do have a piece of burlap so it will work fine while I'm getting the other stuff delivered.

Does anyone have a source for the linen fabric that's less than $20 per yard? Yikes...the search begins..

Stephanie
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2008 :  5:26:45 PM  Show Profile
Stephanie, you go girl! I am getting ready to attach the cattail picture to the rug frame that came today...it is big! Stephanie, are you attaching fabric all the way around the rug and then wrap it around your frame???...remember my how to book has not gotten here yet but as for me...I'm ready to start hooking.

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2008 :  8:14:45 PM  Show Profile
Stephanie, Here is a site that has linen and linen blends that start at $3.99 and go up! the site is http://www.voguefabricsstore.com/store/home.php?cat=89
I hope this helps!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justdukcy48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2008 :  9:06:10 PM  Show Profile
Sarita, I don't have ANY supplies yet...talk about the cart before the horse...LOL Today I realized I can play around with something tiny to experiment but I NEED a rug frame....I've found a few that have the grippers that look ideal....what did you buy?

I read to add 2-3 inches all the way around the design to attach to the frame...then
I read to stitch your twill tape (1 1/4" wide) around the edge of your design area then when you finish hooking it will be easy to roll that tape to the back to give a nice close finish to the edge. If you do it afterwards you struggle to sew it to the edge of the design.

I'm going to start with 1/4" strips and a primitive hook....what width are you starting with?

I've been surfing around and reading...just ran across a lady that is using ROVING to hook with...just pull it into a strip and hook it...too cool, this really is appealing to me. I think the finished look would be so unique and once it was walk on and it felted it would be even cooler looking.

ok, let me know which frame you got...

Hey Monica, I've never seen so many different linens before...the large piece I have has too close a weave to it...these I'm finding for the rugs are 12-13 holes per inch.

Stephanie
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2008 :  11:22:16 PM  Show Profile
I came across this site and it has good info on different foundations and info for beginners.

http://dorrmillstore.com/index.php/site/tips/

Stephanie
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2008 :  11:47:02 AM  Show Profile
Hey Sarita,

Here's a good site for getting started....

http://www.jeannesullivandesign.com/CustomerCare/Tutorials/RugHooking.aspx

Stephanie
Go to Top of Page

apronann
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Ann
Camdenton mo
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2008 :  2:35:10 PM  Show Profile
I'm so glad to find some other newbies! My mom sent me her strip cutter, frame, a punch hook and a regular hook when she decided she was never going to make another rug. However...She's out of the country babysitting my nephew and not picking up my email questions, so I'm on my own. I've picked up some thrift store wool and today I even dyed some of it! That was really fun. Some of the wool I've brought home doesn't work well for cutting into strips, and yarn is better doubled. That's what I've learned so far.

When my rug begins to look like something I'll post a picture....

Ann

Go in the direction of your dreams- live the life you imagine...
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2008 :  7:13:52 PM  Show Profile
Stephanie, the frame I got was an adjustable floor loom, Edmunds rug frame with stand. Adjustable working area of 39"x29"...too big really but it will work if I start a rug. I really like the web sites. The last one was really helpful.
Ann, sounds like you are off to a good start. Welcome to the MJ Connection. I tried to find some wool items at the local thrift store but no luck. I am working on mittens tonight but I plan to do some hooking over the week end.

Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2008 :  8:37:42 PM  Show Profile
What exactly do you use to cut the wool strips so precisely a certain width? I have always wanted to try the traditional rug hooking but just never got around to it...

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2008 :  10:49:48 PM  Show Profile
Sarita, so far I see the gripper frames and that looks real good for holding the rug in place...but most of them are way expensive...crap, another hobby, another investment! So anyhow, now I'm deciding which one to go for..have found several that are half the price of the "pricey" ones though.

I'm sitting here right now with no supplies yet so I've hooped a piece of burlap and I'm using a crochet hook which I'm now sure is NOT the same shaft and tip that the rug hooks have..they look to have a more sharp edge to them for plunging through the hole.

Beverley, you can buy a cloth strip cutting machine..it has different blades to give you different width cuts..you just feed your wool through it and crank it out. I don't have anything yet so tonight I used my large quilting ruler and my rotary cutter and cut 1/4" strips from felted sweaters and from blazed I recycled. It worked fine...for 1/8" it wasn't as easy though.

Ann, lucky you! to get your mom's strip cutter, frame and everything...after using the rotary cutter I can see where the strip cutter would come in real handy. Hey, I read lastnight about a lady that's using strips of roving to hook with..thought of that when you mentioned doubling the yarn if you use it.

Stephanie
Go to Top of Page

TabithaLenox
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Kim
Gettysburg PA
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2008 :  04:54:37 AM  Show Profile
If you know someone who is 'handy' with tools, you can get the materials and make the gripper frame yourself. I ordered one online a couple years ago and paid alot for it. My husband said he could have made the same thing for alot less! The design is pretty simple. You can also use a simple quilting stand for lighter weight projects but it's not as sturdy as the gripper stand...but it's a way to get started with a small project to give it a try.

Kim
Farmgirl #184

http://www.tabithalenox.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

3003 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA
3003 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2008 :  07:26:46 AM  Show Profile
LOL @ Steph. I love how you just glossed over the "crap, another hobby, another investment! So anyhow......."
Came to terms with it and just carried on.....ROFL!!

http://bonne1313.blogspot.com/ BLOG
Go to Top of Page

apronann
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Ann
Camdenton mo
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2008 :  07:46:45 AM  Show Profile
I think making the frame would be pretty simple. There is an Ebay store that sells the gripper strip and it seems fairly reasonable. There is't much to my frame- its made of 1 x 2's and dowels with this gripper strip stapled to the top. I'll try to get a picture up later- but it's pie baking day and I need to get to work!

As for the strips- I cut a few with just scissors, and that was not all that bad- easier than getting up and going to my sewing room to use the cutter.

Go in the direction of your dreams- live the life you imagine...
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2008 :  10:30:31 AM  Show Profile
Yeah, Bonne, didn't you like that..woohoo.... The rughooking journey HAS begun.

Making your own gripper frame sounds wonderful....til you see all the parts sitting there months later still not done..LOL

After working in an 8 inch hoop lastnight I now realize that one of the smallish sized 10x10 gripper frames will work very nice. Since you can move around your foundation very easily and that appeals to me over having to tack or sew my foundation to a frame and havet to fight keeping it tight enough....I think I'm gonna get the "sit-on" frame over the one that sits on your lap.

Stephanie
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2008 :  10:36:14 AM  Show Profile
oops, forgot to share this link.....it's RAG rug hooking..just use torn pieces of fabric instead of the wool. So now there's ANOTHER variation I must try.

http://cultivatingdomesticity.blogspot.com/2008/11/raggedy-rug-hooking.html

Stephanie
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2008 :  9:57:33 PM  Show Profile
I went to amazon.com and looked for rug hooking books and found the ones you guys have been talking about used and they were a very good price and I found one that was only .52 cents. check it out they are all there from used book stores. really cool!!! I want to try this too. I have a lot of wool that I have felted that I bought skirts and stuff the thrift stores for appliqueing with wool so I can use it up this way. need to get my book and a hook and some monk cloth and I am going to get started. Please keep posting and let me know what works and what doesn't.. Cool thread!!!

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2008 :  11:00:32 PM  Show Profile
Oh good!! Another one has submitted. Beverley I'll post a picture of my little sample I started lastnight....I'm trying a double strand of worsted weight yarn as well as the wool strips...I like the look of the wool yarn and it looks really nice alternated with the wool.

Stephanie
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2008 :  10:36:34 PM  Show Profile
Found another interesting website...she's in the UK. She cuts up t-shirts to hook with...beautiful!!!

http://www.mookychick.co.uk/diy_ethic/rug_hooking.php

Stephanie
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Rug hooking anyone????? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page