Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Rug hooking anyone?????
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Rug hooking anyone????? Next Topic
Page: of 6

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2008 :  10:13:15 PM  Show Profile

Here are a couple projects I have done over the years. The stocking was one I made for my husband the first year we were married (12 years ago) I have made stockings for all my kids (7) and grand daughter now. Maybe someday one for me..haha.
I have a few other rugs I have kept..but did alot for gifts. I didn't draw the angel myself, but did draw the stocking one.
Jane Olsen was one of the people who did a workshop for my guild in Calif too. She was wonderful!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com

Edited by - Aunt Jenny on Nov 11 2008 10:14:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2008 :  10:48:58 PM  Show Profile
Hi Bonnie - I guess you did not read my response - I was excited about the chance to own your punch but that O.K. !

Stephanie I would have to go digging in the Class Boxes for some of the prop's for my past classes - most of what I do now I sell under commission work. Good luck on you unfinished projects.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2008 :  10:09:02 AM  Show Profile
Hey Jenny, Your hooked pieces are so pretty!!!! What width of strips do you find the easiest to work with? I realize the narrower ones would be great for tiny projects and details in a design....

So my question is...do you have different sized hooks depending on the width of the strip or do you use one standard size for everything?

I'll have to watch for the wool skirts at the thrift store.

Thanks so much for the info...

Stephanie
www.queenofdreamsz.blogspot.com ~~~Crochet, Sewing, Life Collections & Recollections Blog
www.dreamkingdomdesigns.blogspot.com Vintage & Modern Fabric, Fiber & Yarn Blog
www.dreamkingdomdesigns.com ~~~~~Go Shopping at my Website Catalog!!
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2008 :  11:27:25 AM  Show Profile
I came across this snippet of info concerning the fabric widths used and the different sized hooks to use.
For fat strips of wool from 3/8 inch to 1/2 half inch wide, one would use a course hook. For narrow strips of wool from 1/8 inch to 3/8 inch wide, one would use a fine hook. The proper size of the metal hook allows you to properly snatch the wool strip and pull it through the backing without damaging the backing or the wool. So it is important to get the right size hook for the right width of wool strip and the type of backing you are using (i.e. burlap, linen or monks cloth).

We recommend that you choose a hook which has a handle shape that fits comfortably in your hand. It is worth the effort to search for the hook that feels best as you will be working with it for many hours as you create your rug loop by loop. Some folks have several hooks with different handle styles. When they switch handles it gives their hand a change of pace and some comfort.

Here's the link where this info came from...it has info that will help a beginner.
http://yankeepeddler.com/tanyastidbits.htm

Here's a site that sells the hooks and the different foundations
http://www.laceyjaneprims.com/Supplies.htm

Stephanie
www.queenofdreamsz.blogspot.com ~~~Crochet, Sewing, Life Collections & Recollections Blog
www.dreamkingdomdesigns.blogspot.com Vintage & Modern Fabric, Fiber & Yarn Blog
www.dreamkingdomdesigns.com ~~~~~Go Shopping at my Website Catalog!!

Edited by - queenofdreamsz4u on Nov 12 2008 11:33:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2008 :  2:13:08 PM  Show Profile
I think I am all jazzed up to tackle the project. You all make it sound so easy and have gave me so many resources. I found a hook that I had purchased in a lot of knitting needles a few years back, so long ago that I had forgotten about it.
I have burlap from other projects....think I will sit down tonight and work up a design...simple but unique with a sheep of course! You have got me ready to hook a rug! But first I must go take care of the flock.

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

The people who make a difference in your life are NOT the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones who care.
Go to Top of Page

TabithaLenox
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Kim
Gettysburg PA
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2008 :  2:32:24 PM  Show Profile
I've also done traditional rughooking but haven't picked it up in a while....this has really made me want to get out my stuff and see what I can make!

Kim
Farmgirl #184
All that we see or seem, Is but a dream within a dream....
http://www.tabithalenox.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2008 :  6:23:16 PM  Show Profile
On no! Not another hobby! I've got too many as it is! Could I possibly fit in one more? This thread is very interesting and I'm having a great time looking at all the sites on the internet. I've discovered lots of videos on You Tube. Haven't found a teacher close by though. Aunt Jenny your rugs are beautiful! Can't wait to see everybody else's.

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2008 :  09:45:22 AM  Show Profile
Audrey, what is one more hobby...make things for the home...keeping your mind and hands busy...get a second job to support the hobbies! Life is never dull!!
Let us know when you get started.
Sarita

The people who make a difference in your life are NOT the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones who care.
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2008 :  11:58:29 AM  Show Profile

Audrey

Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2008 :  09:21:00 AM  Show Profile
OK, so when I read about this at first, I went hmmmm... Then I had the "one more hobby moment" like Audrey... Then, yesterday, I requested books from the 'brare. Just had to learn and see more. And guess what - it fits into my stashaholics guidelines! Book/pattern was free from library, already had a rug hooking kit bought while on vacation in NC, have fabric and burlap (both of which just sitting around). I'll have to post when I'm done. Can't wait to start! Well, will have to wait until I get a few more UFO's done (like an afghan for a Thanksgiving day wedding, and three quilts that just need binding by Christmas). I'm getting that itch - and you all know what I mean!

Ann in Oswego

Times may be tough, but farmgirls are tougher!

Craft Fasting since October 21, 2008
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2008 :  8:50:34 PM  Show Profile
Girls, I finally got pictures taken of the ebay rug hooking projects and put on my blog. I think I will make pillows of the cattails and a couple of the flowers but hope my husband will get some time one of these days and make me a couple of round milking stools that I can use the other two as the cover for the tops of these little stools. Got any other ideas?
Sarita
Itching to rug hook!

Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2008 :  10:05:05 PM  Show Profile
Wow! Those are cooooooolllll! You got them on ebay huh? They look finished to me but your first post said they were unfinished. Did you finish them or do they just look finished in your photos? Or by unfinished do you mean the hooking is done, but the backing isn't complete or whatever?

I'm still mulling this over. I'd need to go and buy the whole kit and kaboodle and since it's so near Christmas funds are tight. But "since it's so near Christmas" I could also put these items on my Xmas list....I'm sure all I have to do is find the right project and then I'll be all over it!

Let us know how they come out.

Audrey

Go to Top of Page

vermont v
True Blue Farmgirl

194 Posts

Victoria
Chester Vermont
USA
194 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2008 :  06:07:19 AM  Show Profile

I am happy to say I'm a hooker. I do the primitive hooking with thick cut wool strips when I have the time. There are several styles of rug hooking and some of the rug hooking is done with very thin strips and is very time consuming but beautiful. There is a great magazine called Rug Hooking which would give you an overview of styles, vendors and resources. Rug hooking is big in the northeast and it was an art that allowed women to make something useful and decorative out of scrap fabric; we call it Yankee make do.
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2008 :  10:24:52 AM  Show Profile
Victoria, "Yankee make do" That is a new one for me but I really like it. How thick are your strips? Do you use a cutter? or just cut with scissors?

Go to Top of Page

vermont v
True Blue Farmgirl

194 Posts

Victoria
Chester Vermont
USA
194 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2008 :  7:07:56 PM  Show Profile

Sarita, I have a cutter and the strips are as wide or as small as you want. for primitive rug hooking you usually make a six or eight cut. I have found I prefer to do my hooking on linen. A lot easier on the fingers and the rugs will last forever; burlap does break down with time.Hooking is time consuming and its worth it to get the best materials you can afford. I go to a lot of antique shows and see rugs that are very old; its amazing that they hold up so well. The Yankee motto was use it up and make it last and the old hooked rugs typify that spirit.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2008 :  9:00:22 PM  Show Profile
I loved seeing your pictures Sarita...just beautiful!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2008 :  08:58:01 AM  Show Profile
Jenny, I really liked the pictures you put up, love that Christmans Sock. I am inspired, just need more time now. I am waiting on my frame to arrive and the book. Anyday now! I have to bind around some and fill in background on the cattails.
Victoria, is linen more expensive?

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2008 :  3:54:15 PM  Show Profile
I have a frame around here somewhere and havn't found it in 5 years!! Isn't that awful. Since I have only done small projects like stockings and smaller wall hangings since then I havn't been desperate to find it. I really would like to do a 3X5 rug soon though so I better find it.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2008 :  12:00:00 PM  Show Profile
Do I attach fabric to the sides of my rug hooking material to put in the frames? The cattail project has a strip of cotton material about 6 inches wide sewn to one side.

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2008 :  1:44:46 PM  Show Profile
I never do, but I guess for smaller things it would be a good idea. If things are too small for the frame I have always just done it without one.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

3003 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA
3003 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2008 :  11:58:28 AM  Show Profile
Sarita, I just got a letter from my sister. She'd gone to your blog from a link to it on my blog. Well, now you've got her hooking like a fiend and checking out local thrift stores for wool skirts and shirts to use~LOL

http://bonne1313.blogspot.com/ BLOG
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2008 :  2:18:10 PM  Show Profile
Sarita, Okay, here we go again!!!! I checked out your blog and I have a feeling I am about to get hooked on rug hooking!!!! I am going to have to stay away from all of you!! NOT!!! I just love the pieces on your blog! I could totally see myself getting into making pieces like that! Oh well, what's one more craft! What book did you get?

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2008 :  7:31:43 PM  Show Profile
You guys make me laugh! Bonne, What is your sister hooking? Are you spinning the yarn?...maybe to hook with. Monica, I have some wool ready to out...just got it ready last night. Call me slow! You may need it to rug hook! Are you spinning?
I have a free week end! Whippppeeee! (Unless we move cattle and get ready to sell calves)
I am still waiting on my book about rug hooking. Should be here soon....and the frame too.
I want to be knitting, weaving, hooking, petting the sheep, getting the house ready for Thanksgiving and Christmas....gee I love life and I am so thankful that I have the opportunity to do all these things.
I think it is late but I want to read some of your blogs first to see what you are all up to.

Go to Top of Page

Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

3003 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA
3003 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2008 :  7:52:41 PM  Show Profile
LOL! Isn't it wonderful to love life!!
Enough crafting to last a couple lifetimes it seems. ;)

My sister said she was just finishing up a "hooked" snowman , about 14x14 and he could end up being a chair pad or a table topper.

http://bonne1313.blogspot.com/ BLOG
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2008 :  8:00:39 PM  Show Profile
Sarita, I am still spinning!! I just finished spending almost 2 hours organizing e-mails so I could find everyone's address for things I need to get mailed out! Oh how fun life can be!

Bonne, I think I have enough crafting to last 3 lifetimes!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Rug hooking anyone????? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page