Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Rug hooking anyone?????
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Rug hooking anyone????? Next Topic
Page: of 6

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2008 :  09:32:45 AM  Show Profile
I would like to start rug hooking with wool. Where do I start?
I would appreciate all the help that I can get.

Sarita

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

The people who make a difference in your life are NOT the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones who care.

Edited by - Keeper of the Past on Nov 08 2008 09:36:18 AM

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2008 :  12:34:19 PM  Show Profile
Oh Sarita, I LOVE rug hooking, I just came in for a potty break - winterizing the farm but will be back tonight and we can talk becoming a hooker!!!

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2008 :  7:09:15 PM  Show Profile
I love it too. I like to start with thrift store wool skirts (more fabric in bigger peices without so many seams..then I wash them in hot/warm water to felt and shrink, cut into strips and hook on scottish burlap. I used to make rugs to sell, but now I just do one or two projects a year. It is so fun and relaxing. I have used yarn too..but prefer to hook with strips. Just fun!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2008 :  06:30:19 AM  Show Profile
Wow - this looks really interesting! Do you have sources for patterns, or do you just make up your own? I'd love to hear more about this!

Ann in Oswego

Times may be tough, but farmgirls are tougher!

Craft Fasting since October 21, 2008
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2008 :  08:53:41 AM  Show Profile
Great! Can I use my homespun wool? What else do I need to get started? I ordered a frame from ebay. I purchased two pieces from ebay estate sale that was not completed and they came with the wool strips. Just need the needle and how to do it. I want to make some small stools and cover them with rug hooking.
I look forward to hearing more.

The people who make a difference in your life are NOT the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones who care.

Edited by - Keeper of the Past on Nov 09 2008 08:57:37 AM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2008 :  09:46:46 AM  Show Profile
I have usually drawn my own, but there are magazines, books and websites to look at (ask for traditional rug hooking usually) and yes...I have used homespun wool. YOu need a rug hook (not a needle) it looks like a metal crochet hook (but shorter) stuck into a wooden handle..usually bulbish shaped.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2008 :  06:40:28 AM  Show Profile
Is it the same kind used for latch hooking or a different kind?

Ann in Oswego

Times may be tough, but farmgirls are tougher!

Craft Fasting since October 21, 2008
Go to Top of Page

Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

3003 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA
3003 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2008 :  08:01:21 AM  Show Profile

Is this tool used in rug making? Anyone know what it is?

http://bonne1313.blogspot.com/ BLOG
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2008 :  09:06:30 AM  Show Profile
I hate to sound like a walking ad - I teach locker hooking and sell all the supplies - I have not posted them on ETSY but just let me know and I have all the goodies to get to going. I have books, patterns, two styles of hooks - one which you can not get on most sites and of coarse you can use both fabric or roving. I also use beads, yarns, and just about anything else I can find. In fact my oldest son won with his first rug Grand Champion at both the county and state fair when he was twelve. He used fiber from his favorite sheep, Fudge, his llama Tony and his alpaca Smokey.... Let me know how I can help.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2008 :  09:08:26 AM  Show Profile
Bonnie
It looks like a manual rug hooking tool to me. It has adjustable section which gives you a variety of loop lengths. That is my guess - wished I could see the top.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

3003 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA
3003 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2008 :  09:18:29 AM  Show Profile
It's got patent dates of 1926 on it. Want it? I don't have a use for it.

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2008 :  11:25:20 AM  Show Profile
Oh My are your kidding???

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2008 :  12:33:59 PM  Show Profile
Do you just pull the yarn or wool through the fabric or is there a certain stitch you do so the wool will stay put?
I purchased a couple of unfinished projects from ebay and I want to finish them.

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2008 :  3:10:25 PM  Show Profile
Latch hook, or locker hook are very different than what I do (just traditional rug hooking) and the hook is much simpler. Very cool that you have such a cool tool though..I bet Grace will find out more about it!! If anyone will know she will.
With the sort of rug hooking I do you just pull the wool up in even sized loops close together..it holds very well.You hold the wool strips at the back of the burlap and then use the hook to pull them up through a hole and then the next hole etc....very simple and relaxing.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2008 :  6:08:24 PM  Show Profile
Jenny is correct latch hooking is a technique where you use pre cut yarn or fabric and a tool that looks like a awl with a little flappy thing (that is it technical term). You work on a canvas that you are basically using the tool to tie the yarn on to the canvas. When you are done you can use scissor to trim the yarn up and even do diamensional work.

Locker Hooking started when folks would use a hook similar to a crochet hook and use up scraps of fabric on old feed sacks, loose woven fabric and they would run the fabric in and out of the weave to create something that looks like a Berber carpet. It is smooth on one side and bumby on the other. They folks would also use their left over wool that was not used in makeing yarn and would use that in the hooking. Most of this was done to cover dirt floors and to keep drafts out of the walls.

We have now created it more as a wonderful new art forum - using hand dyed silk ribbons, beads, silk cords, all types of exotic rovings and yarns, wonder fabrics - anything you can fit thru the holes of the canvas. I taught classes in doing this on ready made garments including tee shirts, linen shirts,woolen jackets and blue jeans. One of my favorite classes was to take a straw hat and decorate it using this technique.

As I stated this is a great project for beginners in fact I would once a year of a class just for men who raised fiber animals. It taught them a very basic art skill but it was a way to draw folks into their booth and show them that their animals have fiber art potential - if a man could do it just think what women could do? It was and is a great marketing tool for animal breeders.

To do this it takes very little, a locker hook, a hunk of canvas and something to put in the holes. Someone sent me a request to teach this - don't sure what happen to the email - checked all my hiding places but it is not showing up. If the person who sent me that would do so again I would gladly talk with them about teaching a on line class of this technique - it is one of my fav's.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2008 :  7:17:24 PM  Show Profile
I would love to do the traditional rug hooking method. The idea of using the wool strips, roving, beads, etc. is very exciting to me. I would want to just do a freeform design with expression of all the different textures and baubles...I've looked into this before but never did anything. There are different sized hooks...Is there a standard sized hook you can start with....I have some pieces of linen burlap I believe it is called.

Thanks in advance for more info on how to start....

Stephanie
www.queenofdreamsz.blogspot.com ~~~Crochet, Sewing, Life Collections & Recollections Blog
www.dreamkingdomdesigns.blogspot.com Vintage & Modern Fabric, Fiber & Yarn Blog
www.dreamkingdomdesigns.com ~~~~~Go Shopping at my Website Catalog!!

Edited by - queenofdreamsz4u on Nov 10 2008 7:18:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2008 :  09:16:55 AM  Show Profile
Stephanie there is a basic hook which is like a crochet hook I but it has a eye of of needle at the end which is very important because you have a yarn threaded thru the eye that you use to lock down your loops. Trust me, duck taping a large eyed needle to the end of the crochet hook just does not work - I have tried that and you will make a mess. The basic needle costs in my shop $6.00.

The smaller needle which you can not get everywhere is $7.00 and is wonderful to work on small woven materials and for the finer ribbons, beads, threads and such.

Hope that helps. I also have several great books about the subject. I have one from a dear friend of mine who has written a great beginner book with super illustrations for $19.95.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2008 :  11:07:14 AM  Show Profile
I have done traditional rug hooking and still do although I am no expert. There are many books out on the subject and also the ATHA organization (Assoication of Traditional Hooking Artists) is a wonderful resource. When I lived in Iowa I belonged to a chapter and you might find one in your area. They are great for teaching, holding classes and just all around socializing with other rug artists...very inspiring to hang around with these talented people and there are schools and camps you can attend also! I have a stash of wool. I usually go to Good Will stores and thrift stores to get wool although since I moved to AR there isn't much wool down here in the South...imagine that? Ha! Ha! I use a primitive hook and use a strip cutter to cut my wool strips which can be a pricey tool if you're just starting out but you can use scissors and/or rotary cutter also. I have dyed my wools too which is fun and have bought pre-printed rug patterns but have also made my own from just about anything you see in patterns or design your own. I do primitive rugs but there are more detailed designs also all the way to oriental which use smaller hooks and narrower strips of wool. Google ATHA for their website and you might find a chapter in your area. There is none close to me down here and I truly miss it. Good luck and if you have any questions I can always look them up in my numerous books on the subject too! I am getting ready to do a footstool cover for my grandson for Christmas with his name on it...very simple!
Maybe now I can hobnob with some other rughookers since I have missed them a lot! I am interested in learning how to use that larger punchneedle hook you pictured and it is the same methodology but goes faster and I think you glue the back when you're done? I would like to try one of those some day. Stay in touch and let us know how it goes!

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226

www.farmgirlsam.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

3003 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA
3003 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2008 :  11:53:14 AM  Show Profile
Sandra, since no one else has expressed interest in my old "puncher"for rug hooking, it's yours if you want it. ;)

Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2008 :  12:56:47 PM  Show Profile
Oh...I would love it...but I will pay you for it...just name your price and don't forget S&H! thanks so much!

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226

www.farmgirlsam.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2008 :  2:05:27 PM  Show Profile
Grace, I'm not interested the "locker hooking" I guess you call it..I want to do traditional rug hooking....you don't carry a thread to lock your stitches with the traditional method. Maybe with this method is how you are using so many different elements since you can lock it down as you go. Do you have any pictures of finished designs using this method? I'd like to see all the stuff integrated

I've got some hooks saved in my ebay..There are different sizes for different widths of strips of fabric you are using.

Thanks so much...

Stephanie
www.queenofdreamsz.blogspot.com ~~~Crochet, Sewing, Life Collections & Recollections Blog
www.dreamkingdomdesigns.blogspot.com Vintage & Modern Fabric, Fiber & Yarn Blog
www.dreamkingdomdesigns.com ~~~~~Go Shopping at my Website Catalog!!
Go to Top of Page

Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

3003 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA
3003 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2008 :  2:13:33 PM  Show Profile
pm'd you Sandra~pm me your mailing addy pls. ;)

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2008 :  5:16:53 PM  Show Profile
I bookmarked the ATHA site to go to and look at later. I was in a little informal guild of rug hookers in CAlif. We had a couple really good teachers come and do demos and classes..it was sure fun. Some of the gals in our group had been hooking for years and years. I am starting to think I really should get going on a hooked project..haha. I do use a strip cutter but before that have cut them by hand. I like thinner strips for more detail..but certainly do primitive style.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Brenda
True Blue Farmgirl

168 Posts

Brenda
Boerne Texas
USA
168 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2008 :  6:52:14 PM  Show Profile
Hi All,
I happened across this thread. I have not posted in awhile, but I am glad to see there is some interest in rug hooking. Back on July 28th (pg. 21) I had started a thread regarding rug hooking. If you get a chance to go back, you can read my original post. At that time I only received one response from Aunt Jenny. Aunt Jenny, remember me?

I haven't had time to read through the thread so forgive me if I duplicate answers. A great book for beginners is "Rug Hookers Bible" by Jane Olson. Jane Olson just gave a week long workshop in our area. I have attended the last 3 years, she is wonderful! Along with the ATHA site you may want to check out "Rug Hookers Magazine" website. They have a lot of information. It is also a great magazine to subscribe to.

Bonne, the tool you pictured apears to be a "proddy" tool which is used by many rug hookers to give their work a 3 dimensional look. I could be wrong, I can have my friend look at the picture.

Sarita, If you are close to Greenwood, I know there is a group at Greenwood Mercantile. Their website is greenwoodmercantile.com. Also, in the back of the Rug Hookers Magazine they have listings by state of groups.

Aunt Jenny,
You had wanted to see my primitive Santa I was working on. I have been working on him and when I figure out how to post pictures, I will post for you if you still want to see him.

Hope this helps,
Brenda

Brenda
Farmgirl Sister #292

Edited by - Auntie Brenda on Nov 11 2008 6:58:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2008 :  7:00:32 PM  Show Profile
I am having problems getting the replies on my home computer. Know that I am reading all your replies and I will post pictures of the unfinished projects that I purchased on Ebay...I really want to finish them and I would like for my husband to make some stools and do some covers for them. I do have lots of wool and I love to dye wool all the wonderful colors.
I will look up the books that you have mentioned. I would love to see some of your finished projects.
Thanks
Sarita

Edited by - Keeper of the Past on Nov 11 2008 7:08:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2008 :  10:05:49 PM  Show Profile
Hey Brenda!!! I do remember you! Good to see you here!!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Rug hooking anyone????? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page