Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2005 :  09:27:01 AM  Show Profile
Diane, I have found that new tradtions often times turn out to be the most special. I can't wait to make new jammies for grand kids. Hopefully next Christmas will be the first. Nothing better than little ones at Christmas as they haven't yet given into the stresses and bah hum attitudes that seem to be everywhere. I haven't yet had a clerk say merry christmas to me. Where is the joy of Christmas?
By the way, homemade marshmallows are wonderful. I have made them for years.Hot cocoa, marshmallows and candy canes,mmmmmm.

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

granola girl
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Gina
Valrico Florida
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2005 :  07:30:57 AM  Show Profile
Hey Y'All!

Nice to see you are all planning a yummy Christmas Menu. I have already planned the Christmas Breakfast, the Christmas Dinner and the New Year's Day menus.

If any of you are interested in recipes, please let me know and I will post. This year's recipes were inspired by Paula Deen's new magazine, Christmas With Southern Living and Bon Appetit Dec 2005 issue.

Merry Christmas to all!!

"wear an apron and cook to your heart's delight"

***************Christmas Breakfast*********************

Eggs & Sausage Casserole
Cranberry Streusel Cake
Coffee
Cranberry & Vanilla Bean Mimosas

*******************Christmas Day Dinner********************

Standing Rib Roast
Smashed Garlic & Herbs Potatoes
Fancy Green Beans
Steakside Mushrooms
Creamy Spinach & Smoked Gouda Gratin
Glazed Carrots
Strawberry Pretzel Salad
Easy Herb Rolls

Coffee Iced Tea

Jamie's Coconut Cake
Raspberry White Chocolate & Almond Trifle

**************New Year's Day Dinner*******************

Florentine Artichoke Dip
Warm Brie en Croute with Pear Preserves

Pork Chops with Shallot Cranberry Sauce
Mashed Garlic & Herb Potatoes
Green Peas & Carrots
Sister Schubert's Yeast Rolls

Egg Nog Pie
Hot Fudge Cheesecake

Farmgirl At Heart
Go to Top of Page

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2005 :  09:46:51 AM  Show Profile
Wow, my mouth is watering!! Yes, I do remember the "jello salad" with nuts and whipped cream and cranberries! What a good idea, I'm going to do that.
For me is all about tradition: Rib roast, green bean casserole, rolls and butter, mashed potatoes and now definately that jello salad.
Christmas Eve is always Open-face crab sandwiches (to die for).
Christmas Breakfast is always Egg, cheese and sausage casserole.
My kids wouldn't have it any other way.

Nancy

http://quiltedprairie.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

onequiltychick
Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

Kelly
Fairfield WA
USA
28 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2005 :  11:38:16 AM  Show Profile
Gina, Your menus sound wonderful! I would love to have the recipes for Egg Nog Pie and Cranberry Streusel Cake. Thanks!!
Kelly
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2005 :  8:22:09 PM  Show Profile
gina .. the crazy lady wearing the santa hat knocking on your door christmas morning will be ME! yummmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2005 :  9:34:56 PM  Show Profile
Ooo! Shallot Cranberry Sauce. Would like that recipe. Think I might like to use it to baste my turkey.

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2005 :  06:57:55 AM  Show Profile
Julia -

Thanks for the chocolate cake recipe, got it yesterday in the mail. Oh it sounds sooo gooood, mmm. I will be making that during the holidays.

Thanks again.

Anne

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2005 :  08:15:02 AM  Show Profile
Ok Aunt Jenny, tell me about your tamalas.

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com www.sisterhood.sqrlbee.com

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2005 :  08:39:15 AM  Show Profile
I have a recipe somewhere from my friend Olga in Calif who was from Mexico and made the most wonderful tamales..the kids and I are making them with this recipe this year...I will dig it out this afternoon and post it. I hope mine can turn out half as good as hers.

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2005 :  12:55:12 PM  Show Profile
thank you Aunt Jenny. When you tie them up to keep them closed what do you use? I remember having a hard time with this part. I think I used thin strips of the husk. I was thinking of just using string this time, to make it easier. I'm making a lot, so I want it to go smoothly.

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com www.sisterhood.sqrlbee.com

Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2005 :  09:11:13 AM  Show Profile
YOu're welcome Anne. When you make it, don't expect people to go home till its gone. It is soooo good.

Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2005 :  3:04:04 PM  Show Profile
Thanks so much everyone, for the peeks into your kitchens! You've given me some good ideas for things to make; I've really enjoyed hearing about all your plans.
Go to Top of Page

granola girl
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Gina
Valrico Florida
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2005 :  6:40:07 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by onequiltychick

Gina, Your menus sound wonderful! I would love to have the recipes for Egg Nog Pie and Cranberry Streusel Cake. Thanks!!
Kelly

Cranberry Streusel Cake
Source: Cooking New American: How to Cook the Food You Love to Eat, 200 recipes from the editors of Fine Cooking Magazine.

This particular recipe was written by Abigail Johnson Dodge and published by Taunton Press in September 2004.

Add the topping 40 minutes into baking rather than at the beginning, when it would sink too far into the cake, or at the end, when it wouldn't sink in at all.

Cooking Ahead:
This brightly flavored cake tastes best the day after you bake it.

Stock up on packages of fresh cranberries while they're at the peak of their season (late fall). Freeze them to use all year long.

Cooking Right -- To flour a pan:
Spoon a generous amount of flour into the greased pan. Tilt the pan so that the flour slides all over the inside surfaces of the pan. Dump out the extra flour and give the pan a few hard knocks over the garbage can to get rid of any excess.

For the cake:
9 ounces (2 cups) all-purpose flour; more for the pan
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon table salt
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, well softened at room temperature; more for the pan
1 1/3 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 large eggs, at room temperature
1 cup plain, low-fat yogurt
1/2 cup fresh cranberries, chopped

For the streusel:
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup fresh cranberries, chopped

Serves 9

Make the cake:
Position a rack in the middle of the oven and heat the oven to 325F. Lightly butter and flour a 9-inch-square baking pan.

In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, and salt until blended.

With an electric mixer, beat the butter, sugar, and vanilla on medium speed until well blended, about 3 minutes. Reduce the speed to medium low and add the eggs one at a time, mixing until just incorporated. Using a wide rubber spatula, alternately fold the flour mixture and the yogurt into the butter mixture, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Add the chopped cranberries with the last addition of flour.

Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and spread it evenly. Tap the pan gently on the counter to release any air bubbles. Bake for 40 minutes.

Make the streusel:
While the cake is baking, combine the brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Add the butter and mix, using a fork, until the ingredients are well blended and form small crumbs. Stir in the walnuts and cranberries.

After the cake has baked for 40 minutes, sprinkle the streusel evenly over the top of the cake. Continue baking until a pick inserted in the center comes out clean, another 10 to 15 minutes.

Cool in the pan on a wire rack until warm or room temperature. Cut into squares and serve.

Farmgirl At Heart
Go to Top of Page

granola girl
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Gina
Valrico Florida
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2005 :  6:44:15 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by onequiltychick

Kelly

Wear an apron to your heart's delight!

Holiday Eggnog Pie

1, 9-inch Graham Cracker Crumb Crust or Chocolate Wafer Pie Crust (recipes below)
1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin
1/4 c. cold water
1/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/8 tsp. salt
2 cups commercial eggnog
1 1/2 squares unsweetened chocolate, melted
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
2 tablespoons rum
1 c. heavy cream, whipped

Topping
1 cup heavy cream. whipped
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup rum

Prepare pie crust. Sprinkle gelatin on water to soften. In a saucepan, mix together the sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Gradually stir in the eggnog. Cook in top of double boiler, stirring constantly until thiskened. Remove from heat and stir in the softened gelatin until disolved. Divide filling in half. Add melted chocolate and vanilla to one half. Set aside. Allow remaining half to cool and then add the rum and the whipped cream.

Pour the rum-flavored mixture into the pie shell, the pour the chocolate mixture on top and finish as follows:

Topping
Beat all ingredients together and pipe the top of the pie with a pastry tube. Sprinkle with chocolate curls or place commercial stars around rim of pie. Chill several hours before serving. (I think this is best made a day before you plan to serve it. It gives a chance for the flavors to develop.)

Graham Cracker Crumb Crust
This recipe makes enough "dough" to line a 10' spring-form pan or pie pan.

1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup chopped almonds (i usually use pecans.)
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 c. melted sweet butter

Combine all ingredients. Press the mixture evenly onto bottom and sides of greased pie pan or spring-form pan. Chill.

Chocolate Wafer Pie Crust
This recipe covers a 9-inch pie pan.

1 1/2 cups chocolate wafer crumbs (Nabisco Famous Wafer Cookies.)
1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup melted sweet butter

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Thoroughly mix the chocolate crumbs, sugar and butter. Press the crumbs against the sides of greased pie pan. Bake for 5 minutes. Chill.

Farmgirl At Heart
Go to Top of Page

granola girl
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Gina
Valrico Florida
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2005 :  6:51:42 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Julia

Ooo! Shallot Cranberry Sauce. Would like that recipe. Think I might like to use it to baste my turkey.

Shallot Cranberry Sauce
1 T. butter
2 shallots, finely chopped (1/4 cup)
1 12 oz. container cranberry-orange crushed fruit
1 1/2 t. chopped fresh thyme
1/4 t. salt

Add tablespoon of butter to hot skillet, stirring just until butter melts. Add shallots and saute 1-2 minutes. Add crushed fruit and 1/4 t. salt to skillet; bring to a boil. Sprinkle with chopped thyme and serve hot.

Farmgirl At Heart
Go to Top of Page

theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2005 :  07:41:53 AM  Show Profile
I make Christmas breakfast at my house..Every one so busy going to someone elses house for dinner. Soo~ I make cranberry bread-have a new recipe to try this year. I make bacon, sausage, biscuits and gravey sprinkled with cheese on top and hashbrowns too...also french toast and an egg casserole.Going to try a new recipe for a rasberry triffle with pound cake, cook and serve vanilla pudding and real whipping cream!
Instead of ham this year, my DH is making a stuffed pork loin~~
Complete with OJ and coffee...
Merry Christmas everyone~~
Jan
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2005 :  10:25:44 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Gina for the recipes. I can't wait to make the sause and streudel. Yum!
Christmas breakfast sounds wonderful Jan. As we have church on Sunday, breakfast this year will be quiche instead of the big breakfast we usually do. Merry Calories to you all!

Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2005 :  12:45:34 PM  Show Profile
I made it through Christmas dinner. The duck was a success, along with all the sides. Today I feel like I ran a marathon after cooking for a good part of yesterday. I am benefiting from my efforts, when I cook a big meal like that I never get to eat too much of it, running around and all, but today while I type I am enjoying leftovers for lunch - yum Hope everyone's dinners and Christmas worked out well.

Anne

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2005 :  7:02:43 PM  Show Profile
My menu changed for the original plan. We had ham, sour cream potatoes, green salad, peas, dilly beans, pickled beets and rolls, with lots of sparkling cider. Dessert was Peach and blackberry pie with real whip cream. I covered my ham with crushed pineapple, jellied cranberry and a bit of brown sugar, it was yummy! It all turned out great, made only better by the wonderful company.

Go to Top of Page

Meg
Moderator/Farmgirl True

974 Posts

Meg
Idaho
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2006 :  12:19:09 PM  Show Profile
Oh, what a wonderful feeling to spend all afternoon in the kitchen fussing with my husband over all the different dishes and finally sitting down to the table with our family and friends to enjoy it all! We did it! Our first turkey dinner went off without a hitch. I have to say, the favorite was the sweet potatoes (a recipe passed along from Kate that her mom has perfected). We stuffed ourselves, played board games and laughed the night away. A wonderful holiday!

MaryJane's daughter,

Meg
megan@maryjanesfarm.org
Go to Top of Page

farmgrlchick
True Blue Farmgirl

439 Posts

Theresa
Columbus Montana
USA
439 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2006 :  7:33:44 PM  Show Profile
Oh Meg, sounds wonderful. Here's to many more wonderful gatherings!

Farmgirl Blessings,
Theresa
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Holidays: Previous Topic Christmas Dinner Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page