Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2010 :  07:08:45 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I am so glad you like it, Brenda! Isn't it nice to have the clothes come out so nice and clean? I was skeptical the first time I tried it years ago and was pleasantly surprised. I love it!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sissarge
True Blue Farmgirl

502 Posts

Linda
Montgomery Texas
USA
502 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2010 :  5:08:41 PM  Show Profile
Ladies, this may not be the right spot (no pun intended). But here is my question? My aunt has an old embrodierd bedspread, that was put in storage, and as you can guess it got stains from some creatures on it. I thought I remember reading spray it with vinegar and lay it in the sun. Can't remember where I read this. Does anyone know will this help? Your help will be appreciated. Should we dilute it or straight. She did beautiful work on this about 15 years ago and now she has had a stroke, I take care of her. I get to inherit this Yea! Thanks
Farmgirl #946 Linda
Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2010 :  4:18:19 PM  Show Profile
I made my own dishwasher soap yesterday and tried it out, would you recommend using the vinegar with it ?
Go to Top of Page

corrabelle
True Blue Farmgirl

71 Posts

Corrabelle
Hamilton, Morrowville ontario, Kansas
71 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2010 :  11:07:04 AM  Show Profile
Yes, vinegar works really well in the wash! Especially if you have a load that sat too long and soured. (icky!)

Corrabelle
http://themayberrysparrow.com
A Kansas gal living in Ontario. Sigh.

Go to Top of Page

tatersgirl913
Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

Danielle
Aspers PA
USA
28 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2010 :  3:36:39 PM  Show Profile
I have been using a "recipe" for home made laundry powder that I got for an MJF mag - it's baking soda, washing soda, boraxo and borax. It's of course much cheaper and better for us then buying deterent BUT - i have to say that it does not get out tough oders - sweat, etc. I'm wondering if vinegar as in the rinse would help this? I'm not looking for "downy fresh" just odor free. Any ideas? thanks!!
Go to Top of Page

solilly
True Blue Farmgirl

726 Posts

Lillian
Williamsburg Virginia
USA
726 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2010 :  7:18:08 PM  Show Profile  Click to see solilly's MSN Messenger address  Send solilly a Yahoo! Message
You gals are always coming up with new and better not to mention cheaper ways of doing things thanks. Lilly

learning the life I always wanted.
Go to Top of Page

DyaLynn53
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Dianne
Roseburg Oregon
USA
78 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2010 :  1:31:58 PM  Show Profile
G'day y'all! My daughter has a stackable apartment washer dryer and she has noticed a mildew smell in the finished laundry. I have a set like that too but have not had the problem. I suggested she run an empty load with vinegar and then leave the lid of the washer open after she finishes washing so the machine can air out and I'll tell her to use the vinegar in every rinse cycle from now on. Do you ladies think that will solve the odor problem?

Farmgirl Sister #682

Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
Go to Top of Page

Tammyb
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Tammy
Bluffton Ohio
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2010 :  05:56:55 AM  Show Profile
I have been using vinegar in the rinse water for years ... if you want to add a "smell" to yours just add a few drops of your favorite essential oil to the bottle of white vinegar. Not to much ... just a few drops and that "smell" will stay with your clothes but of course not the vinegar smell.
Tammyb
Farmchick#541

Live to leave a legacy

Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2010 :  06:16:50 AM  Show Profile
Danielle - I use vinegar for getting out cat urine smell and if it can handle that it will handle sweet odors. My fiance is a machinist/mechanic and we've had no problems with getting the smell out of his shirts.

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://twilightburrough.blogspot.com/
Warren, MI
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2010 :  06:58:19 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
I think that the vinegar will solve your problem.

The new front loaders have the same problem. It gets mildew too.

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

Valgirl
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Valerie
Hot Springs AR
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2010 :  9:56:34 PM  Show Profile
This may be a dumb question, but what is "washing soda"?

Today is the day the Lord has made. I will rejoice and be glad in it.
Go to Top of Page

tatersgirl913
Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

Danielle
Aspers PA
USA
28 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2010 :  10:48:35 AM  Show Profile
I love vinegar! I use it in my washer rinse, in my dishwasher, to mop the floors and i have a spray bottle with a few drops of lavendar essential oil in it for cleaning the kitchen counters. Got my idea from you ladies - love ya!

"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart;.." Jer 1:5a

Motherhood is a sweet, sweet moment that lasts an eternity and an eternity that lasts but a moment.
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2010 :  3:18:28 PM  Show Profile
My clothes started smelling like vinegar so I stopped using it. If I add the essential oil will that take care of the vinegar smell?

Washing Soda is in the same aisle as the laundry detergent but, it say's washing soda on the box I think I use Borax washing soda. I am not sure what the difference is but, I was able to find it in the store.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Vinegar in Laundry rinse... Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page