Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 I desperately need new glasses! THEY'RE HERE!!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic I desperately need new glasses! THEY'RE HERE!!!! Next Topic
Page: of 2

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2008 :  1:33:36 PM  Show Profile
Last time I had an eye exam for new glasses we had different insurance (Group Health) and so, I can't go to the same doc anymore. Anyone had any experience with the "chains" like Pearle, Lenscrafters, Costco, or such? I'm kinda picky about my frames - I want round ones and they're pretty hard to find in stock. I tried calling two different Costcos for an appointment, because I heard they were the most accurate of the chains, and was left on hold at both of them for an obscene amount of time, so I hung up. I could go in the store and make an appointment though if I get a good recommendation from one of you. What do you think?

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba

Edited by - mikesgirl on Nov 17 2008 11:56:15 AM

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2008 :  1:49:30 PM  Show Profile
I like Lenscrafters for their large selection of frames in all price ranges. And, they have specials a lot. The bad thing is they don't grind their own lenses, they just pull one off the shelf that is the closest to your percription. I had a real problem with them after my eye surgery last fall and ended up sending 2 sets of lenses back because they didn't work. My one eye is such an odd percription now that my only option is to use my eye doctor's office and pay twice as much. But, I can't complain. Without the surgery I could have lost sight in my right eye.

My sis has gotten frames at Lenscrafters and had her eye doctor do the lenses - that's an option too.
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2008 :  2:10:59 PM  Show Profile
I see some websites where you can purchase the frames and use your own prescription. Has anyone ever done that?

Farmgirl Sister #98
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2008 :  2:19:04 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Yes, Sherri. I have used Lenscrafters to do just that. I have bought frames both online(new),from ebay(vintage) and once, I bought a pair of round old Perry Ellis frames in a thrift store. I also bought a pair of vintage frames in an antique mall(heavily encrusted with stones and crazy silver work). Lenscrafters has been up to every challange I've thrown at them. I also buy their frames. Like Jenn says, I think they have a good selection. Although here in Louisville, they have three stores in three different areas of town. And in the 'ritzier' part of town, the selection is better. :( They do guarantee that you will be satisfied. I've returned lenses before. They never seem to have my prescription on the shelf. They always have to order it. Overall, I've used a lot of different stores, and I like Lenscrafters best.
PS-about buying online...when I did that, I got the measurement across the front of the glasses and did my best to make sure they would work on me.
Another PS-Lenscrafters here(don't know if it's a national sale) is having a sale until sometime in November. I think you buy the frames and your lenses are half price. They also give some insurance discounts. You'd have to ask about that. I'm on David's Humana and they give me half off of frames, too.
Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'

Edited by - Miss Bee Haven on Oct 30 2008 2:44:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2008 :  4:47:32 PM  Show Profile
So, Janice - how do I do that? Do I go ahead and order the frames I like online then take them to Lenscrafters, or do I have my exam, get my prescription, then order the frames? I'm not sure how to go about it being I haven't done it before. Thanks!

Farmgirl Sister #98
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2008 :  05:38:02 AM  Show Profile
I've never bought glasses online, but I usually get my eye exam at Pearl Vision and my frames at a boutique shop. Then the shop sends out the frames and the prescription to an optics lab to get the lenses made and installed.

I've actually found it to be the norm that shops don't make their own lenses. (It was a problem for me when my prescription changed and the optician expected me to send out my only pair of glasses for a week to get new lenses! "What? You can't see without them? What's wrong with you, lady?")

I would definitely recommend letting the lab have the frames in their hands when they make the lenses, if your frames are at all unusual or not a brand they normally carry. I tried just sending measurements once, and they had to cut the lenses three times.
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2008 :  11:28:34 AM  Show Profile
I know several people who have ordered from www.Zennioptical.com and really liked their order. Might want to give it a try!
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2008 :  3:32:53 PM  Show Profile
I go to For Eyes by us. I'm not sure if that chain is by you. I have been very happy with their doctor, he's been there for the 10 years I've been going there. My glasses have held up from there too. They lasted longer then the ones I got from a private doctor, which cost nearly triple of what the For Eyes pair cost. Best of luck finding a place that works for you.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2008 :  3:52:46 PM  Show Profile
& oh yeah, gals, I have seen Janice at least 3 times & she is always TOTALLY STYLIN in the glasses dept!!
Janice, I forgot to comment on the red frames with the rhinestones when we were at Burlington, but you looked MAAHVELOUS my dear!!
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2008 :  6:01:21 PM  Show Profile
Well I"ve had a lot of fun trying frames "virtually" at a site I found. Gives me some idea of what to try when I go to the store.

Farmgirl Sister #98
Go to Top of Page

jinia
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

jinia
mo
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2008 :  7:38:42 PM  Show Profile
I am going to try this site out for my son next time, but my sister has already used them and swears by them!http://www.zennioptical.com/cart/home.php

Good Luck!
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2008 :  09:45:03 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the link jinia and Elizabeth. I'm going to try it! I can't get the $8 model because I have progressive lenses, but I'm going to be able to get frames and progressive lenses for less than $100 - AND they have the round "John Lennon" frames I've been pining for! I'll let you know how it goes - I have my eye exam today and they say it takes about 3 weeks to get the glasses, so I"ll report back. Thanks again!

Farmgirl Sister #98
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2008 :  10:54:50 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That's great Sherri!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2008 :  11:38:59 AM  Show Profile
Mikesgirl, ever think about recycling your frames if they are still good and you like them? My sister did that. She went to Costco and recycled her frames and they charged her $18 to do so because she didn't buy one of theirs. I didn't think that was bad. I have two pair of glasses and will recycle them next year when I have my checkup. They are in good shape and what the hey, I'm not spending extra to buy some of those expensive ones.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2008 :  05:46:13 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Sherri - I've just taken the frames with me to Lenscrafters. I just try to make sure the online ones are going to fit my face. Sometimes, I don't need an exam. They keep my prescription in their database all the time. If you go to one of the docs that are usually located right next to them, you could just give them your prescription.

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2008 :  06:49:22 AM  Show Profile
Re: recycling glasses. I used to see collection containers at various places (drugstores, churches) asking for old glasses to send to the poor in Haiti. Do they still do that? No charge, and it helps someone in need.
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2008 :  04:47:39 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Amie - Lenscrafters does that. And they even send workers to other countries to help fit people. I've even bought good pairs of glasses in a thrift store and bought some good cases to put them in and dropped them off at one of the Lenscrafters I go to a lot.

Betty - Lenscrafters doesn't charge anything to recycle old frames.

Sherri - Are you having any luck finding a pair of frames you like?

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2008 :  08:26:56 AM  Show Profile
Yep, I ended up ordering from http://www.zennioptical.com/cart/home.php - the link I got here. They were so inexpensive I felt like it was worth the gamble - we'll see how it goes. If it doesn't work, I'm only out about $50. I have really wanted round, John Lennon style glasses for a long time and they are SO not in style now, so none of the optical shops had them. It was either vintage, or order online, so that's what I did. I found out in the process that my progressive lenses can only be put into a limited choice of frames because of the shape and size, so I got lucky with the ones I wanted. I thought about ordering another, rectangular, more stylish pair so I don't embarass dh with my hippy glasses when we go out, but my prescription won't work in them, so what I ordered is what I get!!

Farmgirl Sister #98
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2008 :  08:59:07 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Good for you, Sherri. :) Let us know how they work out. That's a nice looking website. I bet round glasses come back in style soon. The young college kids here like my John Lennon's! LOL!
I noticed they have some rectangular ones you can order magnetized sunglasses with. I had a pair like that and it was so nice to just keep the sunglasses piece in my shirt pocket and snap it right on when I needed it. It fell out of my pocket and got stepped on. :( Maybe I'll try that again. ;)

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2008 :  09:06:37 AM  Show Profile
Here's a pic of what I purchased
http://www.zennioptical.com/cart/product.php?productid=647&cat=16&page=1
Am I crazy? I got the gunmetal color. Maybe I'll be a trendsetter LOL!

Farmgirl Sister #98
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2008 :  09:27:29 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
They are GREAT! And they're going to look so cute on you! Please post a pic of you wearing them! Yep! Trendsetting farmgirls!! Hear us roar!!!! :D

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2008 :  11:55:30 AM  Show Profile
My new glasses arrived today - and they are GREAT!! Good tip on the Zennoptical - I can highly recommend them! I can't believe how I can see things I didn't know I wasn't seeing before - like the individual loops on the bath towels, etc. Thanks all - I'll post a picture when I get one.

Farmgirl Sister #98
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2008 :  12:01:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Hooray, Sherri! I'm looking forward to seeing your cute new specs! :D

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2008 :  3:17:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Sherri! That is awesome! And I love the frames! Just the ones you wanted too!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2008 :  4:29:02 PM  Show Profile
Man - leave it to dh to throw a wet blanket on things!! When he got home, I was wearing them and you could tell he didn't like them. He didn't say that, but hemmed and hawed around. I said "You don't like them do you?" and he said "Well, they're really crooked on your face - you can see all of one eyebrown and none of the other one - they look kind of funny." Well, I went back and looked in the mirror and they were setting a little crooked alright - my nose is crooked. But remember when I ordered them, I said dh wouldn't like them and I'd have to order another pair for going out with him! He's more the "fashionista" of the two of us - for me, not for him - always wants me to look stylish and these glasses make me look more like an old hippy -closer to what I really am I guess. ...sigh... I guess I'd better go online and look for another pair so I can look more "conventional" for him (part time). MEN!!!

Farmgirl Sister #98
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2008 :  11:08:19 PM  Show Profile
I like them, and I am a glass wearer too. Have been since I was 5 or 6. Am blind in one eye and can't see too good from the other. I too am a "fashionista" for my glasses, but even I like them!!
(I but new ones every year, but always in a good but cheap eyeglass store when they are on special, lol)

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

http://princess-of-pink-creations.blogspot.com/
my new BLOG.
I have added "new" creations, take a look :)
And also some pictures of my village, come for a visit
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic I desperately need new glasses! THEY'RE HERE!!!! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page