ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2008 :  06:29:49 AM  Show Profile
I have been suffering from terrible neck and shoulder pain lately. Using a conventional pillow is really making it worse. Has anyone ever used a contour pillow before & if so, what kind of pillow case do you put on it? Target sells them, but they are in boxes, so it's hard to tell if it would be comfortable. Since they cost $40, I would like to know before I buy one if they are really worth it.

Thanks,
Dawn in IL

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2008 :  06:56:26 AM  Show Profile
My philosphy is you get what you pay for. I use 3 pillows now and am going pillow and mattress shopping soon, so I'd be interested to know, also.

Seems like I remember having the foam type contour pillow years ago and I liked it. They have to be made with better material now, I'm sure.

I also wake up with headaches sometime and I know it's the crappy pillows I have. So they do make a difference in how ya feel.

Kris
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2008 :  07:06:11 AM  Show Profile
I swear by miss wilmas feather pillows.. They have just the right amount of "smush" & she can make them firm or soft. I LOVE mine.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2008 :  10:17:48 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I agree! We have 5 of Miss Wilma's pillows. I sleep with 2-3 depending on the night, Doug sleeps with one and Nora gets one too. They are awesome and I have had little to no back pain since I got the full contingent. Mine end up looking like the contoured pillows but without that nasty foam smell or the in ability to change the shape of the pillow.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2008 :  3:08:33 PM  Show Profile
To be honest, I really dislike feather pillows. Thanks for suggesting them though.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2008 :  4:46:02 PM  Show Profile
I have a contour pillow from Walmart and I promise I didn't give 40$ for it. I would never spend that much on a pillow. I am pretty sure mine was around 14.00. I have a Memory Foam contour pillow and I love it. My chiropractor recommended it for me for neck and shoulder pain.

If you are a side sleeper I would also recommend a knee pillow. I also have one (again from walmart about 15.00) and it really helps with spin alignment. I have had a lot of releif and much more restful nights since using both.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2008 :  4:47:42 PM  Show Profile
Oh and to answer your question the one I have has a super soft liner that zips over the pillow. I just use that and unzip and throw it into the wash with my sheets. I found that the fabric of the pillow cause the regular pillowcases to bunch.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9324 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9324 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2008 :  5:09:09 PM  Show Profile
I have suffered with neck problems for years. I was going to the chiropractor every week faithfully. Now I go less often. I happened upon the most fantastic pillow and it really does give relief to the neck pain and shoulder issues too. I got it at Sam's club they are the memory foam type. But that is not the brand they are. They came two in a package and my husband has not had trouble with neck pain either since we started using them. I take mine with me if we go on a trip. I paid 34.00 for both of them. They are not the contour type. They come with the nicest, softest cover and my pillowcases don't get bunched up. They stay nice and smooth. I wouldn't use anything else now. I also use a pillow between the knees when side sleeping.

Denise
farmgirl sister #43
"Take a lesson from the teakettle, though up to its
neck in hot water...it sings!"

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Nov 14 2008 5:12:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2008 :  07:37:47 AM  Show Profile
Thank you so very much for the information Denise and Julie. My neck and shoulders hurt so much that it is taking me hours to sleep, then I wake up around 1 a.m. again thanks to the pain. I am not a member of Sam's club, but I will look around and see if someone else sells their pillows. Denise, do you recall the brand name you have?

Julie, I don't shop at Wal-Mart due to my disagreeing with their practices, but if worse comes to worse, I may order one from them.

Thanks again for your input! I really need the help!
Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2008 :  1:30:14 PM  Show Profile
I hear you about walmart but I live in the sticks and it is the only choice. The closest Target is ove 80 miles away.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2008 :  06:19:08 AM  Show Profile
Dawn, have you found your pillow yet?

I went out yesterday shopping and went to Target specifically to find a good pillow. I ended up getting a down stuffed pillow and it is wonderful!!! It was $20.00 but oh so worth every penny. I woke up this morning without the stiff neck and sore shoulders and felt great. So glad I went and found that pillow.

Kris
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2008 :  11:39:30 AM  Show Profile
No Kris, I hadn't found a pillow yet. We have a Target about 5 minutes away. I'll take a look and see if I can find the one you have. I did buy some of those heatwraps that you attach to your neck, back, shoulder, etc. That has helped a lot too, but a bit expensive. Thanks for the information.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Contour Pillows? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page