CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2005 :  8:15:24 PM  Show Profile
have any of you brought any 'outdoor' farm equipment or 'things' INSIDE to use as furniture or accessories in your homes?

i think my most favorite piece like this is my big antique wooden 'chicken roost' from a hen house of yesteryear! i saw one of these in a mountain town library (Colorado) .. it was filled with straw and held 'cookbooks'. i searched for several years and finally found one! it sits in my kitchen against a wall and i 'used' to have it filled with straw .. but was afraid i might be creating 'mouse-y nests' here on the farm .. sooooooo .. i only have cookbooks in there now. i also have tin pails for trash buckets and nail kegs that i put things like winter hats and gloves in. i use a large pottery milk jug for a kitchen trash can. have lots of farm implemtns (like corn knives and hay forks) that decorate the fire place surround. in the summertime, i have vintage garden rakes and clippers and other implements that hang on the wall in the 'dogtrot' hallway between the two cabins. i lean olde painted shutters against the walls and hang my more rustic 'jewelery' on (made from heavy, chunky beads, turquoise, fur and hide). i have grain boxes sitting on flors and on top of cupboards. ohn ..and a most wonderful 'broom corn' cutter just sitting against a wall too!

how about you .. have you brought 'outside' things .. inside to live with and use?

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2005 :  06:47:03 AM  Show Profile
gosh gurlfrenz .. am i the only 'weird one' .. who actually brings 'outdoor stuff' indoors to decorate with?

i'm going to bring a child's sled from my shoppe today to put on the dining room table .. and going to go cut lots of wonderful 'long-needle' pine branches and holly for all over the house.

come on ladies .. let me hear that some of you are as whacky as i am about 'outside' treasures! xo, frannie
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2005 :  07:52:05 AM  Show Profile
Frannie -

I have a window that is from my parents garage off of the old farm that hangs in my dining room on a short wall. I left the old cracked glass in it and just clean up the wood trim. It is one of those narrow six pane windows. I have another window that is only 4 pains that came from the old barn. We replaced the panes with mirrors and my dad attached a piece of salvaged wood to the bottom as a shelf. It hangs in our office right now.

Anne in Portland

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2005 :  9:53:36 PM  Show Profile
anne .. those sound great! i have a few windows and shutters inside .. have some great olde doors that i want to find a place for! i think it is especially special that the window came from your parents! frannie
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2005 :  10:14:50 PM  Show Profile
I have an old chick brooder that is wooden with wood framed wire "shelves" and a lift top where the fan and motor for heat used to be. I love it and use it for drying shelves for my soap..have for years. It has a cute punched tin panel on the top on one side that my sis in law added when she had it before I did. It is so useful and neat..can't imagine not having it!!
I love my tractor seat stool in my kitchen too. My second son made it for me and I painted it John deere green to go in my kitchen. It is perfect for giving little boy's their haircuts and sitting a little girl to help cook, or a friend to chat while I cook. It is one of my favorite things.

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2005 :  05:10:06 AM  Show Profile
I love the chick brooder idea for your soaps .. does it work somewhat like a food dehydrator?
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2005 :  10:52:17 AM  Show Profile
Yeah, sort of like that...on a big scale. It dosn't have the "innards" to still use as a brooder and I am sort of a cardboard box and hanging light brooder kind of a gal..but it did work alot like a dehydrator originally from what I can tell. It is about 4 and 1/2 feet tall, 3 1/2 feet deep and 3 ft. wide or so..and is all neat old wood on the outside and top.

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
Go to Top of Page

Krisathome
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

Kristin
Iowa
USA
90 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2005 :  8:29:33 PM  Show Profile
Yep, I have old garden gates, old windows, shutters, and even half an old door hanging on my walls.

I use to have an old piece of fencing on the half door and I hung pictures or Christmas cards on it. With old looking clothes pins, of course. Got tons of compliments on that one.

Oh I use tin pails for garbage, too. And I have what my dh says is some kind of saw(can't remember the name) hanging in our family room.
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2005 :  05:58:30 AM  Show Profile
Kristin .. you're a decorating farmgirl .. just like the style i like! Frannie

it's such fun to decorate with the 'unusual'!

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2005 :  2:12:53 PM  Show Profile
My favorite is the milk can stools my dad made for me and my siblings when we switched from milk cans to bulk tank for our milk.
My brother and sister each had an old implement seat and mine was more like a saddle type seat (i was so happy-this horse crazy kid)!
I still have mine but usually only get it out for extra seating.
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2005 :  4:42:22 PM  Show Profile
Karen .. olde, home-made treasures are the best treasures!

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic "Farm" Furniture Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page