Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2008 :  10:48:31 AM  Show Profile
Well, we turned the rams in this morning and boy, is sheep amore' happening! This is always a fun day..trying to guess who is going to lamb first the last week of March when we will start. Sheep gestation is 5 months.

There is something very calming and "circle of life-ish" about the seasons on the farm and by seasons, I mean breeding, lambing, weaning, turning out to pasture, haying, culling, marketing lambs, butcher time etc. I love raising sheep.

Tess, our herding dog was just all aflutter today knowing what was going on and helping us move the breeding groups to different pasture and trying to second-guess which ones went next and where (she's too smart for her own good).

Thought I'd share the moment.
Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2008 :  4:58:13 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Jami- what a great day on the ranch! Certainly a day where you are looking into the future past the cold winter months! It would be fun to see your dog running around like that!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2008 :  6:22:54 PM  Show Profile
I havn't bred my little ewes yet. I never found a ram to use last year and havn't this year yet either. I would like to breed in late november or early December. I don't want to keep a ram anymore and most of the sheep near here are all Meat type..big ones. So I am not yet sure if my gals will get bred. I hope so!!
I would love to have lambs again in the spring..I agree....that part of having animals is so fun!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2008 :  07:34:41 AM  Show Profile
Alee and Aunt Jenny:
For some reason, this is like the beginning of the year for us...like a January of sorts I guess with rams being turned in. Our whole year is focused on the productive cycle of our ewes. We've been "flushing" the ewes with grain for 3 weeks, now the rams are in for 34 days (2 cycles of 17 days each), then rams will go back to their bachelor pad and ewes will get put back in one group and fed out for the winter months. We will increase their feed amount and quality of hay as gestation progresses. It's like I live on a sheep planet or something but this cycle of the sheep seasons dictates our lives. My husband reads charts and does the nutrition for the sheep. I plan the breedings and bloodlines in the same manner, lists and lists.

Jenny, hope you find a boyfriend for your girls. When you don't keep a ram, it can be hard to find one to fit your needs and have the timing be right. Since you're thinking of breeding "late" (in my sheep year)maybe one will be available from a breeder who will be finished breeding by then.

Alee, Tess is really a great herding dog and is very fun to watch. I have given demonstrations with her and she always wows the crowd. She's also very pretty and has a knack for cottoning right up to a new person for a petting although I don't trust her around children...they make her nervous (especially if they chase her around and want to pet her) although my 4-year-old niece could work her on sheep a little. She'll work for anyone as long as they know the commands.
Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2008 :  08:01:20 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Jami- That is great! My dog is a mutt and heavy on the Australian Shepherd side of her lineage, but she wasn't exposed to farm animals at a young age, so they kind of freak her out.

She is really gentle around animals, and is more likely to flee than to attack. One summer she kept getting attacked by my friend's rooster when she was tied up outside. When she finally had enough, she would pin him to the ground to get him to stop, but would not bite. The rooster only got a few ruffled feathers. The same friend also has a Sicilian donkey which Sky is terrified of. She thinks the donkey is demon-spawn or something. Absolutely terrified.

She does like playing with the goats, she chases them, and they chase her, but I don't think she has ever been around sheep. I would really like to see what she would do. The only animal she has ever killed has been mice. :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2008 :  08:29:39 AM  Show Profile
Alee, your dog has good instincts to not like that donkey. Donkeys are used as guard animals and are very effective. Many hate dogs and coyotes, in fact, will take on anything if they are guard animals. I have a friend in Hermiston who uses guard donkeys and she can't take their dog into the sheep and goat pastures because of it. She said one day she found a dead coyote with its face torn off...she said they tear with their teeth and then turn and kick to guard.

Your dog is smart!
Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2008 :  09:45:23 AM  Show Profile
Hey Jami,
I like to lamb in April and 1st of May but yesterday morning went out to let the ewes out to pasture and the little hussys were in with the 5 rams....So much for April. Ang and I had quite a time separating about 45 ewes from 5 rams. I didn't have as much fun as you did. I had just spoke for a Border Liester Ram and planned on cross breeding some of the ewes this year...hope some are left for him. I pick him up next week.
Below 32 this morning in NE Mo.
Sarita

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

The people who make a difference in your life are NOT the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones who care.
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2008 :  10:37:15 AM  Show Profile
LOL Sarita...I've had to separate wandering rams before too, but not 5 and not in with all of my ewes either. I bet that was a rodeo. The one probably good thing was that all of the rams were in one spot fighting over who gets who and you could at least get hold of them? I hope anyhow.

I have been pondering a BL ram (have had Coopworths) to see what it does to my wool quality. My friend just got some and I wouldn't mind experimenting with a ram lamb next year on my Texels.

We need to lamb early enough to get those lambs to make minimum weight for our California markets by September so can't lamb much later than we do. DH just wants to start after our anniversary so we can take a long weekend trip before lambing starts. Sounds like you and I will be lambing around the same time come spring...the best laid plans huh?

I don't use marking harnesses on my rams anymore but used to know which ewe was due which day...gave up on that. Now it's just surprise after surprise packages from March through April.

Jami in WA

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
Go to Top of Page

therealshari
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Shari
Beryl UT
USA
235 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2008 :  08:29:46 AM  Show Profile  Send therealshari a Yahoo! Message
We're nearly finished with breeding for this year. Only one ewe lamb left, who's not come into season yet. We're breeding to accommodate a local ethnic market.

We borrowed a Delaine Merino from the neighboring sheep farmer. Thought we were getting a Polypay, but the shepherd couldn't rope one easily, so asked if one of the guys they just bought would be ok.

He certainly doesn't look like our last ram. This guy is about 225 lbs, has had his horns removed, could use a good hoof trimming, and appears kind of lazy. We put a harness on him, so we know who's been bred and who hasn't. Everyone around here laughs at us... but we know what we've got.

I've blogged about it and included pictures.

Shari Thomas

Who's giving serious thought (j/k) to changing "Four Country Gals" to "Ms McDonald's Farm" as we're now adding a preggie cow, due in early September.
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2008 :  08:51:37 AM  Show Profile
Shari, do you feel the Merino will have the meat quality you desire? I guess if you have the ethnic market, you are probably shooting for smaller lambs. The Polypay ram would certainly give you prolificacy with the multiple lambs they are known to produce. I don't know much about the Delaine Merino's...just curious. I'm sure you'll have awesome wool quality but that might not matter on the lambs as you probably don't shear before you market them, right?
Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
Go to Top of Page

therealshari
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Shari
Beryl UT
USA
235 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2008 :  3:00:13 PM  Show Profile  Send therealshari a Yahoo! Message
Hi Jami,

Actually, our "foundation stock" appears to be much more Suffolk than originally thought. Our original matriarch weighs just under 200 lbs, so is pretty good sized. She's consistently raised triplets after lambing quads. Her daughters are a little smaller (father unknown), but her granddaughters (2) are slightly larger, having been sired by a 330# Suffolk.

We also have one Polypay orphan ewe lamb.

As for size, I'd expect to get 75 to 80 lb lambs in time for the Eid of Ramadan. The Eid that is celebrated 50 days (or so) later should still allow for a lamb that is around 100 lbs.

We'd love to improve our wool quality as I have an interest in marketing the wool to handspinners. The only sheep that get sheared are breeding stock. We are saving all our ewe lambs until we reach 10 producing ewes and market all the ram lambs/wethers.

After considering all our costs, and the safety aspects of owning a ram, we now borrow or rent a local ram as necessary. As for the Delaine Merino, I was quite surprised to get him, and yes, we're giving up a little size in favor of improving our wool in future years. We're actually pretty happy about it, though.

Shari Thomas

Who's giving serious thought (j/k) to changing "Four Country Gals" to "Ms McDonald's Farm" as we're now adding a preggie cow, due in early September.
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2008 :  5:35:22 PM  Show Profile
New breeding "experiments" are always fun...that's why I make lists and lists of who's going to woo who...say that fast 5 times!

Today I went outside the back door to hang up clothes to dry and all of the ewe groups are right out in the back pastures with the rams...I can see 2 of the groups real easily. I was singing the old disco song "I'm Just a Love Machine" while hanging up the laundry. Rams are so funny. They really think they are so cool when they have their harem around them. I just laugh because you can almost see the ewes all rolling their eyes like...sheesh, give it a rest buddy. My youngster, Angus, has a dirty face from fighting other rams through the fence (grass is always greener, ya know) and he stinks to high heaven--but still a legend...in his own mind.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://farmhouseflair.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2008 :  11:14:56 AM  Show Profile
If you want to see a ram that thinks he is a real lady's man go to my blog. I put Smokin's picture up for a couple of parties that are interested in a shetland ram. He has Aliza, one of the black corredales standing by the fence waiting for him to get out. So funny!

The people who make a difference in your life are NOT the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones who care.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2008 :  11:54:01 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
You all are making me want to shave sheep! I have sheep envy! LOL

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2008 :  8:21:22 PM  Show Profile
Ahh.... breeding season. Such a JOY! I'm getting things ready a lot sooner THIS year! Normally I breed my Babydolls starting this month, but the last few years I've been slackin'. My last lamb was born in JUNE this year!!! No more of that--- it's just too darn HOT! I don't like lambs to come earlier than the last week or two of March because the weather is so crazy here-- usually wet, cold and WINDY! All of April and the first half of May are perfect, so that's my goal THIS year. I penned my breeding ewes up today, they'll be getting dolled up for the ram (some need a rear end clip, others a pedicure, one ewe needs full body clip!! She got into some stickers and looks like a fat prickly pear! (LOL!!), and the ram needs a little work as well, but he'll be in with the girls in no time. Good luck ladies! Hope the breedings are successful!

And Aunt Jenny, if you're looking for a SMALL ram there are several breeds that might work for your girls. Any shetlands, Babydolls or Soays in your area? The Sheltands and Soays are wool sheep of course, but Babydolls (miniature Southdowns really) are dual purpose. They're small, but the meat quality is excellent and the wool makes creat outer garments and socks. It also blends well with Angora rabbit and other fibers. I wouldn't breed one to your girls if they are small framed though. Babydoll lambs (even Cross-bred) tend to have big fat heads and very wide shoulders!! You wouldn't want any lambs getting stuck! ~~~Hugs~~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2008 :  1:48:43 PM  Show Profile
Tracy I imagine you have warmer weather than we do in June. I like doing all of the pre-breeding prep work too, part of the process and makes me start making those lists I was talking about--who is going to woo who? I understand the joy you're feeling!

Things have calmed down here...the rams are almost to the boredom point. They have lost a bit of weight and are not interested in eating like the ewes are, the poor lovesick guys just can't think about food I guess! They were all fat and sassy when we turned them in so they needed to take off a few pounds anyhow. We plan for this.

Then I sit and stew all winter waiting and hoping all of the ewes "took". I don't know why I worry about this every year because very seldom does a ewe not produce for us. I culled out my old ewes this year so all I have now are prime producing ages with a few that I'm holding back for winter breeding. We don't preg check the ewes either. It's just an "either they do, or either they don't" scenario.

So, I am hoping for a nice crop of lambs come spring and I do also hope the same for you. We can't do much better than we did this spring, only lost one lamb out of 75 so hopefully our run of luck will hold out.
Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2008 :  2:44:24 PM  Show Profile
How interesting! You all make me jealous...if only in another life...
Go to Top of Page

therealshari
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Shari
Beryl UT
USA
235 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2008 :  09:31:04 AM  Show Profile  Send therealshari a Yahoo! Message
Ok, every single ewe is bred here, even the ewe lambs. We use Ranch Manager software to track all of them. The ram has returned to the neighboring sheep station where he'll get to be with still another batch of ewes.

I think the girls miss him.

Shari Thomas

From the "middle of nowhere" Beryl, Utah. Our farm is nearly complete with 3 horses, 6 ewes, a cow and heifer calf, 19 chickens, 5 dogs and four country gals. I blog about it at http://sharithomas.com
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2008 :  11:14:30 AM  Show Profile
Yes, Jami, it gets a little warm here in June. Then it's SCORCHING HOT during summer!!! ICK!! Doesn't seem to bother the goats though. I have Nigerians and they can breed ALL YEAR ROUND!!!!

Anyway, good luck to all the Shepherdess'. May you all have a successful breeding season and an even MORE successful lambing season! (God knows I'm PRAYING for a better season THIS YEAR!!) Hugs~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2008 :  12:15:21 PM  Show Profile
I use MDI sheep manager software that I purchased in Sedalia a few years back. It's just okay, not great but it does keep track of things if I enter the data! There's the kicker. How do you know that all of your ewes are pregnant, ultrasound?

Tracy, it's been my experience that when we have had less than a stellar year, the next year we do great and that is mostly because we change things around to manage lambing or something better. As I said before, raising livestock is fairly forgiving and always a learning experience, don't you agree? Otherwise, we'd all give up and throw in the towel.

So Shari, you lease rams, right? Have you ever had any health issues with doing that?
Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2008 :  09:28:23 AM  Show Profile
Jami, were you in Sedalia, Mo to get that software? If so you were about 2 hrs from me. I have been thinking about using a software program to manage my flock, just have not got around to looking yet.
I attended the State Fair 2 years ago and set up a deal to lease a Corriedale ram....I couldn't get him until Dec 1st because he was going to big show in Nov in Ky. He had the wool, the body, and personality. I waited up to the 1st of Dec and got a call that when they brought the ram home and put him back in with the other rams that he went to butting with his old pen mate and got his neck broke...I was in a panic. I ended up leasing another one of their rams but not nearly as nice. I believe strongly that if you want nice lambs...take a look at the ram. Jami, I leased him but I kept him penned for a couple of weeks to see if he was healthy before I introduced him to my girls. I did not do that with White Knight and I know that I should have. I also check out the farm that the rams came from before buying or leasing. I look to see if all the flock looks healthy, eating good, wool healthy before bringing them on this place.
White Knight's flock mates were all good and healthy. I love his wool and his personality.
Sarita

Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2008 :  12:00:42 PM  Show Profile
Sarita, quarantining is a great idea. We quarantine any new flock additions for 3 weeks with no contact with our sheep and worm them and give shots upon arrival. I'm really overboard on a strong health program and I know many others just take a more relaxed approach. There is no right way. We will be a certified scrapie free flock in June of 2009 and OPP free--have put a lot of investment into getting these accreditations and I am not going to jeopardize that for anything. I have had people want to bring sheep here when we shear or borrow a ram. No way. No visitor sheep allowed.

I so agree on choosing a good ram, that's 50% of the genetics in your flock and shows up quickly, good or bad. We've invested in some nice rams and it's improved our Texels tremendously over the past 5 years. Kind of fun to look back and see the improvements. I would be embarrassed to sell the breeding stock now that I sold back then!

Sedalia was a lot of fun. Met a lot of sheep people that I still keep in contact with. That fairgrounds is gorgeous. I think your "almost" Corriedale ram must have gone to the NAILE in KY. That starts this coming week again and I have friends from down the road who are showing sheep there. I guess you can watch the shows online at the NAILE website? Anyhow, hope White Knight is doing his job. Our boys are quite busy out there. With 3 breeding groups we'll probably have a bunch of lambs all at once. Love hearing your sheep stories.

Jami in WA

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
Go to Top of Page

therealshari
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Shari
Beryl UT
USA
235 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2008 :  08:15:58 AM  Show Profile  Send therealshari a Yahoo! Message
We're so isolated here in the high desert that we very rarely ever have problems. There are three of us that "trade" sheep stuff, the big outfit (about 500 or so ewes), our closest neighbor (he works for the big outfit) and ourselves. Our original stock is from the big outfit (at least the heirs to the original), and our neighbors sheep are related to ours.

Given our extremely dry area, no one worms their sheep here. We don't have foot rot thanks to the sand and weather. About the only thing we've ever had to watch for was lice and the occasional tick.

As for rams, we borrow (that means free to use) rams from the big outfit. The only stipulation is that we use them BEFORE the big outfit is ready for breeding. As an option, the neighbor has a Suffolk ram that we can use as a back up.

We're raising primarily meat sheep for the specialty market with wool as a by-product. I've found a market for the wool by selling it as garden mulch and pet shelter insulation. Since we have a location that is ideal for "on-site slaughter" that is the direction we're heading. Our neighbors (all at least 1/4 mile away) have agreed to the process.

There is a Muslim community in SW Utah (Cedar City and St. George) as well as Las Vegas, so that is where we're heading. I've had the pleasure of learning a lot about what's required for "ritual slaughter" and am more than happy to provide the support needed for this community to have animals that meet their needs.

We have all seven of our ewes bred and that should provide us 10 to 14 lambs total. Hopefully, we'll have at least 6 to offer for direct market. Around here, we get $1.00 a lb live (approx weight), so that means we should get 80 to 100 for each lamb.

I'm building a mailing/phone list of folks I meet (at Farmers' markets) who want "custom raised" lambs. At lambing, I'll notify each of these potential buyers. If one wants a specially raised animal (not banded male or only milk-fed) then I will require up-front payment.

We don't plan to charge for using our on-site services as anyone who drives as far as these folks have to, have already put substantial investment into their animals. We will require a "liability waiver" as our insurance company requires. That means you do your work on our land at your own risk. We remove as much unrelated risk as possible, but won't be responsible for risks involved with the actual slaughter/dressing process.

Shari Thomas

From the "middle of nowhere" Beryl, Utah. Our farm is nearly complete with 3 horses, 6 ewes, a cow and heifer calf, 19 chickens, 5 dogs and four country gals. I blog about it at http://sharithomas.com
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2008 :  08:04:10 AM  Show Profile
Shari:
Great you've found a niche market! Many folks are finding this to be a very reliable market for their lambs and more power to you, girl! It's good you have access to reliable rams that you know well. Cool you don't have to worm....are you going to try to go organic with your sheep? Worming is usually the obstacle with not being able to go organic with lamb.

Are your prices reflective of what the ethnic market is willing to pay in your area? It seems lower than the current commercial markets for lamb and usually it would be much higher. I'm just curious.

I'm glad you're finding a way to make money with sheep...it's people like you who keep the industry growing as we reach into niche markets. How do you market your wool--farmer's market or ads or what?

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
Go to Top of Page

therealshari
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Shari
Beryl UT
USA
235 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2008 :  10:15:17 AM  Show Profile  Send therealshari a Yahoo! Message
Hi Jami,

I've not talked with our alfalfa supplier about whether or not he raises his crops organic, and that would be our biggest hurdle. Between our horses, sheep, and cattle, we're now purchasing at least 6 72-bale stacks per year. We don't have any pasture land. With limited water, and all tumbleweed, rabbit brush, sage brush and sand, we're better off to use the water for the stock.

I've done tons of research over the years, as I used to own a commercial USDA-licensed rabbit processing company and a 200-doe rabbitry. Niche markets are mandatory as you'll beat your brains out trying to mimic any mainstream marketing.

As for pricing, the historic auction prices have rarely topped $1.00/lb in the past three years. We stay close to that, as we know that's a price folks will pay. It doesn't cover our full costs, but we're able to at least defray the feed costs. Another issue is that we're located so far away from our customers. At the minimum, it's a 100 mile round trip, so we figure that into our pricing.

The majority of our marketing revolves around the Cedar City Farmers' Market, which opens in late July and runs into October (weather permitting). We're also members of "Local Harvest" and I blog about our farm in several different ways.

As for the blogging, I have the story of how we four gals got together at "Four Country Gals"... http://fourcountrygals.com and then I blog about life on the farm at "Shari's Gone Country!"... http://sharithomas.com and then I blog about the farm as a "work from home" project at "Ask Me Why... Work From Home... http://ask-us.biz - that's my way of getting folks to realize that working from home doesn't always involve making money in online programs.

Our goal is to have a maximum of 15 ewes. Because we are concentrating on breeds that provide at least twins, in a couple of years, we should have 30 or so lambs (both sexes) to offer. Of course that means we'll go through about 4 stacks of hay (about $750 per) for the sheep. Hopefully, as we grow, and offer better services, we'll be able raise our prices to come closer to breaking even.

The wool isn't bringing much yet, as I sold each fleece for $5. Now this fleece was right off the animal, un-skirted and pushed into a large trash bag. Our staple has been running just under 3 inches, and feels a little coarse. Each fleece has been weighing about 5 lbs or so. The good news is that there was no additional labor. The bad news was it cost $6.25 per animal to shear so the price next year will equal at least the cost of shearing.

Shari Thomas

Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2008 :  2:27:36 PM  Show Profile
I'm with you Jami on the "No outside sheep (or GOATS!)" policy. If an animal comes to the farm, it STAYS on the farm. If it leaves the farm it does NOT return. I keep all my own ewes for breeding stock-- I don't buy any outside sheep except for a replacement ram or a buck now and then.

I have a small flock of Babydolls which are a "specialty niche" in themselves, but have not done much in the way of marketing research or advertising. They pretty much "sell" themselves-- if you can believe THAT! I get calls all year long from people wanting breeding stock or pets, from Vintners and organic farmers wanting the sheep for alternative weed control. (I also get calls from crazy people living in the CITY who want them for the same purpose-- but I tell THEM to hire a neighborhood kid, or buy a LAWN MOWER!!!) People drive in off the street wanting me to sell them fleeces.... it's CRAZY!!!!

When I bought my first "Quartet" (a black ram and 3 white ewes 10yrs ago) I never thought I would have so many (all but 5 born and bred here on the farm) or that they would become so popular. I got them because I wanted to help save the breed from extinction and because they were just so DARN CUTE!!!! At that time too, black (and colored) sheep were VERY hard to come by. Apparantly, they STILL are, but I guess I take that for granted. Over half my flock is BLACK ! -- thanks to my current ram. You are SO right about the ram being HALF the flock Jami! Not only has he been a blessing with the color gene, but he's also a high % ewe producer!!! I tell you, that boy is WORTH his weight in gold! Now it's time to find an equally wonderful "Prince" for his daughers!!

Thanks for sharing all the info on your business Shari. You've got the wheels in my own head turning now. hmm........

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Time of Year for Sheep Love Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page