Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2008 :  08:00:53 AM  Show Profile
Tracy, wow, people knocking down your door for sheep! You go, girl! You've got a good thing going there. Happy for you.

Shari, do you have access to USDA processing for your lamb?

I think you have some good ideas and I wish you success.
Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
http://farmhouseflair.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2008 :  08:21:36 AM  Show Profile
Ahh... but the problem is, I don't really ever sell anything. The people come in, find out how much the sheep cost, then right back out the driveway they go! Only the most serious buyers are willing to make the transaction. I don't sell my sheep for any more (actually, I think I sell for a little LESS) than other breeders here in CA, but I AM more particular as to WHO I sell them to. You can't come around here waving money in my face and expect me to sell you a lamb just because they are cute and you want one. You gotta have a purpose for them-- and the RIGHT ONE at that. (I have only sold one sheep with regrets as to the buyer, but I am happy to say that I found out she was sold to someone else who absolutely ADORES HER!!! YEAH!!!!!)

As for fleece, well, I'm not an expert in the wool department. I know which of my ewes have softer wool, which produce more, etc... but I know nothing of "Crimp," "Blood Count" -- all that spinners lingo. Also, I do all my own shearing, and, I'm afraid, I'm not very good at it. I've ruined more fleeces than I can count just trying to get it off the sheep! By the time I'm done with them it looks like a flock of demented poodles have taken over the farm!!! (LOL!!) (I leave the head wool on each sheep-- it's the only way I can tell them apart!! Once that's off, they all look the same and I need to be able to tell who's who come breeding time since I have a few ewes that I do not breed at all-- they are just pets)

I have tons of books on all aspects of sheep ranching (and specialty niches), but I have yet to actually sit down and map out a plan. Any suggestions ladies on WHERE to begin? I do not want to run a huge commercial business and I certainly don't want "Big Brother" knowing any more of my business than he already does, so nothing that has to do with the "authorities." (Not that I have anything to hide, I just feel that their involvement complicates matters and we do not own this property!) Any and all advice would be appreciated. Happy breeding!!! ~~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

therealshari
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Shari
Beryl UT
USA
235 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2008 :  6:18:21 PM  Show Profile  Send therealshari a Yahoo! Message
Jami, unfortunately, we don't have a USDA processor in Southern Utah. That was the final reason (along with meeting some very nice Muslims) that validated we should be offering on-site ritual slaughter.

Our other options are to sell direct (you haul the lamb away live), sell live and deliver (for a fee) to the custom processor in Cedar City, or to sell at auction in Cedar City.

We don't turn away anyone with the money in their hands. We don't sell breeding stock. If you want us to raise a "ram lamb" you must pay for it in full before "banding" date, about 3 or 4 weeks after birth.

As for what is most profitable, it's probably the young "weaners" we sell for $50 a piece. They haven't had much time to eat a lot of alfalfa. Those are the you buy it and haul it home kind.

Shari Thomas

From the "middle of nowhere" Beryl, Utah. Our farm is nearly complete with 3 horses, 6 ewes, a cow and heifer calf, 19 chickens, 5 dogs and four country gals. I blog about it at http://sharithomas.com
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2008 :  07:52:21 AM  Show Profile
Shari, do you have any fresh pasture when the lambs start to ruminate? Not sure about your environment/farm so wondered. You're so right, minimal input lambs that don't require feed ( = $) are a great way to go for sales. At what age or weight do you wean? We wean very late, have a thing about letting the sheep remain in family units until at least July (3-4 months old). The ewes still get their figures back before we breed in fall and the lambs have nice growth rates and ewe replacement lambs learn to flock well and what to eat from their mothers. I know this isn't feasible for many but we have plenty of pasture and that way it's all a pasture-raised low-input animal.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
Go to Top of Page

therealshari
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Shari
Beryl UT
USA
235 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2008 :  09:07:42 AM  Show Profile  Send therealshari a Yahoo! Message
Jami, our sheep (ewes and lambs) are 100% feedlot as all we have here is sand, sagebrush, greasewood, rabbit brush, and tumbleweed. We feed a "controlled" diet of 100% alfalfa. That means each ewe gets one flake of alfalfa per day. We feed twice a day, so for our 7 ewes, we typically give 3 flakes in the AM and 4 flakes in the PM.

I'm pretty insistent that they clean up the stems,too. Right now, they're leaving the stems laying around, so they're getting one less flake a day.
In the past, I've added some grain to their diet, but find that I run the risk of getting them too fat, and the lambs too large too fast, so will not be doing that this year.

When the lambs come, we let them nurse for at least 90 days, and sometimes even 150 days. As long as the ewe is dry for a couple of months before breeding again, I'm ok with it.

Projecting that feed cost out per year, it costs me just under $250 a year to feed the ewes. That pretty much means they must give me twins or better, and I need to sell them as soon as possible (before the lambs start eating

This next spring, we'll be lambing in March. We'll be "pre-selling" from the moment of birth. That means the customer pays us up front and we set a "date certain" for when they want to come slaughter, or when we need to deliver to the processor. I expect to sell 5-7 of our lambs this way.

By mid-August, we'll be looking to sell of the remaining wethers either at auction or through the local Farmers' Market. The "festival" lambs should be all spoken for as they will have to be butchered in late August, to late September.

I know elsewhere I've printed that I get about 12 flakes per bale. That's on the low side. I actually counted the flakes as I was feeding the horses the other day, and it's more like 15-16 flakes per bale. That brings our costs down to .68 per flake.

I just projected our annual per ewe cost at about $250 per ewe. That means each ewe must give me at least twins, and I'd best sell (contract) them as early as possible.

One thing, I really expect our alfalfa costs to go down this next year as fuel is now around $2.00 a gallon as opposed to $4.00 a gallon this past year. I would hope it drops to $9.00 a bale or less.

Shari Thomas

From the "middle of nowhere" Beryl, Utah. Our farm is nearly complete with 3 horses, 6 ewes, a cow and heifer calf, 19 chickens, 5 dogs and four country gals. I blog about it at http://sharithomas.com

Edited by - therealshari on Nov 18 2008 09:11:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2008 :  12:54:32 PM  Show Profile
I understand your situation pretty well now from your explanation. You are making the best of your environment and resources and trying to make it work. Good for you! Do you have goats as well? It seems they would like to eat a lot of that stuff you mentioned you have. I know the ethnic folks like goat meat as well.
Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
Go to Top of Page

therealshari
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Shari
Beryl UT
USA
235 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2008 :  6:01:27 PM  Show Profile  Send therealshari a Yahoo! Message
As of now, we have access to both Nubian goats and Boeher goats. Until we get some more area fenced, water lines added, and a shelter built, goats are out of the question, but on the drawing board.

A lot depends on our income, jobs, retirement, online, etc. If the price of fuel stays down, and drives the price of hay down, then the priorities could change. Right now, it's the cost of fencing, but at least we're beginning to talk about it and plan some configurations. I don't see us doing a perimeter fence as we're open on three sides at the present. Rather, we'll go west past our cedar post round pen and then south to match up with the current end of the sheep pen, and east to hook up. That will include 2 12' gates, so you can see, there's some cost.

This weekend project is to get the chicken coop doubled in size and then order a batch of birds. We can add heat lamps, so they'll have enough warmth. Then, we'll hunker down for winter, await lambing in March.

Shari Thomas

Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2008 :  12:17:07 PM  Show Profile
Perimeter fencing is what we did first, then we started dividing up with cross fencing as money afforded and now we do rotational grazing on 6 pastures plus have our hay field. The perimeter fencing is nothing fancy, T posts and woven wire with a hot tape across the top to keep the horses from leaning over them and wooden posts every so often for stability when stretching and wooden corner posts. It has held up well and seems to keep the neighbor dogs out although coyotes can still dig under. We have a guard dog who does a good job with the coyotes. For gates we use "hog panels" tied on with baling twine to the posts. Need to hang those permanently but we just never get around to it.

My last chickens just bit the dust and I'm so happy not to have anymore right now. Maybe I can actually finish up some flowerbeds. Those girls just dug everything to bits in the yard. After purchasing a turkey today for Thanksgiving, think we'll get our run fixed and increase our hen house as well and get more in the spring. Have fun.
Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
Go to Top of Page

therealshari
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Shari
Beryl UT
USA
235 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2008 :  3:32:46 PM  Show Profile  Send therealshari a Yahoo! Message
For us to string perimeter fence, we'll be looking at a western line of over 600 feet, a northern line of close to 500 feet, a southern line of nearly 700 feet, and a short eastern line of nearly 200 feet. We're not sure the most economical method, and really our only need is to keep our critters on our property. At this point, I think we're looking at a minimum $1000 to do the job properly. That would include all the posts, wire, charger, other hardware and one gate.

To do the small area that encompasses the current pens with gates should cost us less than $500.

Wouldn't ya' know it, other projects got in the way of the chicken coop addition, and we may even get "weathered out" until spring now. That means we'll have to catch every "good day" we can in March, so we can have chicks ready to lay eggs in August.

Shari Thomas

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Time of Year for Sheep Love Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page