Mahdee
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Chicago Illinois
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2004 :  07:15:29 AM  Show Profile  Send Mahdee an AOL message
Hi Y'all!

My name is Merri, I am 20 years old, and I live in the suburbs of Chicago. It is my dream to someday own a farm and be as self sufficient as possible. I really dislike the city and since I was old enough to, I have been moving farther and farther away from it.
I have been looking into land and farms in southeastern Missouri. When I am there it feels like the land is calling to me, so I want to make it my home. My career and schooling still haven't quite allowed for me to live out my dream. But maybe someday....

Anyways....just wanted to say hi!

Take care everyone!

Juliekay
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

237 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2004 :  07:59:08 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Mahdee,

Glad to see another Chicago person. I live in the city, but I am tired of the noise, and I hate the suburbs. Hope you attain your dream soon.

Julie
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2004 :  09:36:03 AM  Show Profile
Welcome, Merri! My father-in-law lives an hour or so from Chicago, and has a home in a little farm town called Cherry Valley. When we visit him, I love to drive the country roads and look at the barns, and dream. I have taken a lot of photos in that area. So, if southeastern Missouri does not work out, there is a lot of wonderful farmland not too far from Chicago!

We understand what you mean about land calling to you, though. That is a wonderful feeling. Glad to have you here!

jpbluesky

Love those big blue skies and wide open spaces.
Go to Top of Page

Juliekay
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

237 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2004 :  12:24:43 PM  Show Profile
JPBluesky,

I have friends in Rockford, which buts up against Cherry Valley. That town is very cute, and the scenery around there is beautiful. Lots of rolling hills, rivers and farmland. Very nice. If you want to buy, buy now as people are starting to buy there and commute to Chicago. It will eventually raise property prices. Lots of development going on too.

Julie
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2004 :  12:55:52 PM  Show Profile
Rockford and that whole area is a great place to live. I also love the Sycamore/Dekalb area. it kind of makes me sad to see so many commuters/developers coming in. But such is life....

I guess the good thing is it will help my father-in-law see a good return on his investment!

Juliekay, if you do quilting, there is the best quilt shop I have ever been in on the road into Rockford from Cherry Valley. It is in an old victorian farmhouse on a still working farm.

jpbluesky

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2004 :  3:48:22 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Merri!! Always good to see another farm girl at heart here!!!

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

tbroens
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Tracy
Russiaville Indiana
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2004 :  3:58:26 PM  Show Profile
Hi Merrie
It's nice to find another Farmgirl in the Midwest! I live in Kokomo, Indiana, about 50 miles due north of Indianapolis. I feel the same as you. I can't wait to get out of the city and be on a farm..and to be as self sufficient as possible. What a dream to have!!
I just wanted to say welcome and make yourself at home!!
Tracy B :)

Farmgirl/Gardener Forever!
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2004 :  5:44:55 PM  Show Profile
I everyone! It's been awhile since I posted (April) an dit is great to see all the new responses and how well MJ's site has taken off! I was getting a little discouraged at first, but the site has become a hot bed of activity.

Merri, I too live in Illinois, a town called Hinckley. About an hour and a half west of Chicago. It's a rural community. We live in a small subdivision of about 20 home on 1 acres lots, but it's right in the middle of DeKalb Count farm country. I f I can't have a farm of my own yet, at least I can live amongst them!!!

Hope to hear from y'all soon!

farmgirl@heart
Longaberger Lover and all things antique
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2004 :  09:10:09 AM  Show Profile
Dear Kim -

A fellow basket lover! I use baskets for everything - waste baskets, picking veggies, for hot bread on the table, for keeping fabric and yarn, for logs in front of the fire, and on and on.

I have Longaberger baskets from the 1985-1990 era. I have the large laundry and two small lunch baskets with handles, and a picnic basket. All signed and dated. Recently I saw them on Ebay, and could not believe the prices! Do you collect them too?

Have you ever seen the Longaberger building at corp hdqtrs? It in the shape of a big basket!

jpbluesky

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2004 :  4:51:50 PM  Show Profile
I used to sell Longaberger baskets and love them too..as well as other baskets. I have sold off some of my collector ones ..the fancy ones. I still have about 50 now dating back to '86, up to about 2001.At one time I had ALOT. (embarrassed to say how many, but when I sold the excess on ebay I paid for Christmas and then some one year) Arn't they the best?..made to last. My very favorite is my "library basket" ...a 1986 med market basket. I use it to haul canned goods up and down the cellar stairs when I can something and need to shelf it, and when I go in the car with the kids. I have a newer one with a lid too, but I love that old one with the dark stain. it is like an old freind.

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2004 :  5:46:19 PM  Show Profile
Yes, I collect and sell them (to support my habit)lol! I have never see the basket office in person. I use them for everything as well. Even the dog has one, the corn basket, for her dog toys! I have a handful of good customers that buy on a regular basis. I'm not into going full out, just to have fun> The extra money has com ein handy as well.

My biggest love is antiques. It funny everytime I get a new issue of MJ's magazine, I see stuff in it that I have purchased or inherited from my grandmother. I just got the newsest issue from Borders and got all teary eyed thinking about grandma and the farm.

JPbluesky, I saw on your profile you live in Florida. So does my dad and stepmother, they live in Venice. Where do you live?

Jenny, where in Utah are you from? I've been and it is such a beautiful state!

farmgirl@heart
Longaberger Lover and all things antique
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2004 :  7:31:13 PM  Show Profile
I am in Manti...about the middle of the state. I love it here..have been here a little over 2 years.

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2004 :  7:50:30 PM  Show Profile
I am in Tallahassee - far north of Venice...only about 25 minutes south of the Georgia line.

Wow, you guys are REALLY basket collectors. I am impressed. I also love antiques, and my favorite baskets are the old ones, too. I have my grandmother's picnic basket. Once a long time ago, it got left too close to the shore of the lake and got water-stained. I always think of that time when I see that stain. Now that basket holds my supply of my granddaughter's diapers, wipes and lotion, plus a teddy bear my daughter gave me.

jpbluesky

Go to Top of Page
  **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic New Girl Here Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page