Annie
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Anne
Caledonia NY
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2004 :  11:39:09 AM  Show Profile
I just moved from Southeast Texas to Western New York on a 100 year old farm. We have a farmhouse and three huge barns that need alot of work. My husband and I are originally from this area and have been moving around the country the past ten years with his job. Right now my plans are to get settled and in the Spring get a few animals probably starting with chickens. It's a little strange moving into an old house after living in new construction for the past ten years but I'm getting it together.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has gone from the city to the country. One thing is for sure, I've been sleeping alot better (no noise)!

My friends think I'm crazy as I just turned 50 and took on a big house and buildings and somedays I wonder if they're right! My husband and 17 year old son love it here. I can't get them in at night!

I happen to find Mary Janes Magazine a few weeks before we moved so I guess it was just fate!

Look forward to hearing from y'all

Annie

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2004 :  11:51:38 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Annie!!! So glad you've found your niche there in NY. Being 50 has nothing much to do with the desire to create change and the willingess work toward it. I applaude your attitude to just go for it!! We're a nice bunch here, so I'll hope you'll join in our discussions. Tell us about your farm, how many acres, what's its history and what are your visions for working it? I know what you mean about the quiet and being able to sleep alot better. I certainly desire the same thing.
An old house, although challenging, can be great fun. Such character that you're working with already! Many of us here are great fans of "old made new again", by taking what we have to work with and finding new uses for things. I'm sure you'll find that same thing true with your old house. Things will all fit into place naturally, you'll see!

Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural

Edited by - Clare on Aug 13 2004 11:52:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2004 :  12:25:00 PM  Show Profile
Lucky you!!! And Welcome!! I will sure look forward to hearing about your farm and all. How fun!

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2004 :  12:44:06 PM  Show Profile
Hi there, Annie - we look forward to hearing firsthand what it is like to "be" in an old house and a beautiful farm. You are so lucky to have a 17 year old son - and the fact that he loves your new home and acreage is all the better. He will be able to help big time and look back on this later in his life with good thoughts. Wise move for you.

So, welcome, Annie!

Oh by the way, when I saw that someone had bought the farm, I was afraid that we had lost a member here on this board! :)

jpbluesky

Love those big blue skies and wide open spaces.
Go to Top of Page

imafarmin
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Janet
Grants Pass OR
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2004 :  5:29:42 PM  Show Profile  Send imafarmin a Yahoo! Message
Welcome Annie!

jpbluesky, LOL!

Burst your bud of calm and bloom into hysteria :-).
Go to Top of Page

Sherries Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Sherrie
Graham WA
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2004 :  8:46:07 PM  Show Profile
Annie...welcome. I was born a city girl with a farm girl heart. I had always dreamed of owning a parcel of land that would be a farm of veggies, fruits and lots of farm animals. On my 35th birthday I purchased our beloved five acres and haven't looked back. I don't miss the city...don't even care to go to Tacoma anymore. I prefer the small towns surrounding us, taking the long, windy back roads versus the highways at times just to enjoy the countryside. Mind you...the city is moving our way...I can only hope this doesn't happen to you anytime soon. Eventually, we will live on our acreage like an island...with the world surrounding us.

It sounds like you did find your little slice of heaven which is wonderful. So good to hear the family is loving it.

Is this a seasonal area...where you will get an actual winter? Have you seen Baby Boom? I love the house she has when she moves to Vermont. One wish would be we would have a more seasonal winter. Always have lots of blankets for those chilly nights, esp. in a 100 year old farmhouse.

Please keep us posted on your farm progress. I enjoy reading how other farm girls are getting along.

Best wishes...until next time...

Sherrie

"When you care enough, you make it yourself."

Edited by - Sherries Farm on Aug 14 2004 8:47:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2004 :  07:38:07 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Annie! Your farm and home sound beautiful! I moved from the city to the country 20 years ago and have never looked back. What a joy to move into a home with so much history! Old farmhouses are so beautiful just in their own right! Yes, they may need alot of repair, but their is just something about moving into a home that has stood on a piece of land so many years that just takes my breath away. They remind me of old trees that have stood their ground and weathered many storms. It sounds like your husband and son love this place. It took me a awhile to adapt to country life...the lack of noise...the wild creatures checking out the porch at night...the neverending work...but I am at peace and know my children and future grandchildren will appreciate the roots I have set down for them. You are embarking on a wonderful journey. Best of luck to you!!! Meadowlark Jenny

Time Flies
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2004 :  11:01:47 AM  Show Profile
Welcome back Annie!

Finally someone from my neck of the woods has come to the forum. I've been to Caledonia many times, although I don't know that I'd quite consider it Western NY - being just a few miles from the shore of Lake Erie myself! What you're doing sounds just right, don't worry about the age thing. I am over 55 under 60 (sounds like I've about reached the speedlimit here, but I'm not about to slow down yet). My dream is also to someday have a place in the country; I don't think it will be a farm, because I complicated my life about 12 years ago by marrying a non-farm type, but we're working on things.
Keep to your dream, and good luck.

Cecelia

ce's farm
Go to Top of Page

Rhonda Perich
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Rhonda
Grand Junction CO
USA
16 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2004 :  2:34:34 PM  Show Profile
I am so excited that you got such a big farm. I moved into an old farm house two years ago and I just love it . Everyone that comes over says it is so cute. We have a big red barn and a smaller barn...I call the milking barn because it has a milking room and we milk our goats in it. This house was built in the early 1900 and we have a picture of it before it was updated. It is alot of fun and there is so much you can do so enjoy the history that you are living. I always think about the people who homesteaded this place.
Hugs, Rhonda Perich
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2004 :  08:08:56 AM  Show Profile
What breed /breeds of goats do you have Rhonda? I have goats too, and love them!

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

Rhonda Perich
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Rhonda
Grand Junction CO
USA
16 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2004 :  12:30:11 PM  Show Profile
Jenny...I have two alpine/nubian crosses and a nubian. I love they goats they are the best. We milk ours and besides drinking it we make cheese and yougurt. What kind do you have ? At one time I had up to fifteen of them but that took a lot of work and my hands got tired of that much milking. I still sale a little bit to some customers but cut down a lot.
Hugs, Rhonda
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2004 :  10:19:21 PM  Show Profile
I have 4 goats, but only one that I am milking right now. She is Oberhasli. I also have a Saanen doeling, Saanen buckling and an angora doe. My little Oberhasli doe gives us just enough milk for our family and I get to make yogurt and ice cream too...and sometime soon I plan to make cheese. I have so far only made the cream cheese from yogurt type. I would like to get to where I milk two goats. Next spring I will be there!

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

jamie
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

jamie

33 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2004 :  06:53:11 AM  Show Profile
Ladies,

I am just curious about something. What are the advantages of milk from a goat versus a dairy cow. Do they eat less and are they less expensive to maintain? Just curious.
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2004 :  09:43:13 AM  Show Profile
My daughter could really tell you more than I, but she gives her daughter only organic goat's milk, fresh if possible. There are certain times of the year (a two month span) when goats do not give milk, if I have learned correctly. Jenny could tell you more, I am sure!

It is the closest to human milk, which our bodies can more naturally digest, and the chemical make up of goat's milk is the best for nutrition, even better than soy.

jpbluesky

Love those big blue skies and wide open spaces.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2004 :  10:44:21 AM  Show Profile
Even cows need to be dry for a time (usually 2 months) just before they give birth again the next spring.
Goats milk has smaller fat globules and that makes it easier to digest for animals and people alike. It is naturally homogenized...(dosn't separate) and tastes like cow's milk of handled correctly and cleanly.
You could feed 4 goats to one cow at least and they are so much smaller that they are for sure easier to handle. Most people can't handle the huge amount of milk a cow puts out without sharing or selling...AT LEAST 5 gallons a day! A goat gives about a gallon a day.
They have wonderful personalities and are easy to keep (harder to fence though)
What I like best about having my goats for milk is how fresh the milk is, we never drink or use milk more than 24 hours old..and you sure can't say that about store milk. And I know exactly what she ate and how the milk was handled. I would love to have a jersey cow someday, but until then, dairy goats are a wonderful thing. I will probably keep some even if I ever do get a cow!!

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page
  **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Bought the Farm Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page