jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2008 :  2:38:05 PM  Show Profile
I use Red Star yeast....that has made the best loaves yet, but my dughter buys hers from the co-op. I am going to put mine in the freezer, but my recipes call for room temp yeast. They also call for room temp eggs, but I put the egg in the water stragiht from the fridge. I use water that is as hot as my tap can make.....our water heater is et at 120 degrees. What temp water do you all use?

Jenny, I wish I had a loaf pan like yours!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2008 :  2:46:20 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like most of you have learned how to use a bread machine better than I have. My bread never turns out in a machine, but I can have 6 beautiful loaves cooling on the counter in the time it takes to bake one bad loaf in my machine. Maybe I sould read the directions that came with my machine.

Greetings from the morning side of the hill.
Go to Top of Page

okiequilter
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Cathy

USA
249 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2008 :  3:23:33 PM  Show Profile
Kennie Lyn ~ I wouldn't bother with the bread machine if I were you. Sounds like you got bread making down just fine!!

Jenny ~ your pan sounds great! Wish there was a way to still buy them.

Shirley Jean ~ I think you are suppose to let the yeast come to room temp. first like the eggs, etc. but I never do and it always works - tradtional or bread machine (sorry, maybe shouldn't say that -I'm being a "bad teacher") :(

Cathy (okiequilter)

www.AuntDaisysCottage.blogspot.com
www.CathysPincushions.etsy.com
www.AuntDaisysCottage.etsy.com
A friend loves at all times.
Go to Top of Page

mooselovingmamabear
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

Gail
MI
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2008 :  5:54:54 PM  Show Profile  Click to see mooselovingmamabear's MSN Messenger address
I have a Bosch machine. Which I've had for years. I really love it because I can make quite a large batch of dough. It mixes the dough and then I form the dough into bread, etc., and let it raise in my pans, bake in the oven, and yummy....

~~gail~~aka: mooselovingmamabear
My Blog: http://mooselovingmamabear.blogspot.com/2008/10/well-its-starting-to-sink-in.html
It's the Great Pumpkin
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2008 :  6:40:43 PM  Show Profile
I just made a batch of Hamburger buns today using my bread machine to mix, kneed and 1st rise. Then I take out the dough and make into buns, let it rise then bake in the oven. I can slice the buns in two and they will fit in the toaster so it makes great toast or sandwiches. I use the one pound recipe ane it makes 8 buns or 16 slices. Whole wheat is our favorite.

Don't have a Kitchen Aid mixer. Maybe someday. In the meantime, the bread machine sets on a table in the utility room and out of the way.
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2008 :  06:27:00 AM  Show Profile
Kennie Lyn - six loaves, yes you have the bread making down girl. No need for a machine for you!

Belle - hamburger buns,now that sounds yummy.

I have got to practice to get up to speed with all of you, but I am really into baking bread now. I can't wait to try some of the things you all do. And I am going to look around for one of the long pans....I bet I'll find one someday.

I never let my yeast and egg come to room temp, and when I mix the egg with the hot water, I figure that does the trick.

I saw a convection bread machine when I bought my new breadman, but I hesitate to use one of those. Convection appliances have never been favorites of mine. I had a convection toaster oven and gave it away.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2008 :  06:58:46 AM  Show Profile
I use Red Star yeast and buy it at Costco, I have always kept it in the fridge and use it straight out of there without a problem. My Kitchen Aid usally does the kneading for me and works great! For bread pans I have two Lodge Cast Iron pans that are my favorite (looking to buy a few more of them) other than that I use either glass or metal. Some one was looking for a good stand by recipe- if you want a good white bread (or any other grain) recipe head on over to Bobsredmill.com.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2008 :  3:57:09 PM  Show Profile
I do have a big Blakeslee mixer. It will take the dough right up the point of adding the last couple of cups of flour. It will actually make 7 loaves, but I can only bake 6 in the oven. So it really isn't hard. The hard part of making bread is the initial mixing. You have to beat it hard enough to get the gluten going. That isn't easy by hand, but a big mixer makes it easy. We usually eat one loaf hot, then I keep one to eat, and freeze the rest. I like it hot, and I eat the heel when I first cut one open, but other than that I don't eat much of it. DH is another story.

Greetings from the morning side of the hill.
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2008 :  03:47:31 AM  Show Profile
OK so after having done a little research, you ladies have me convinced I need another machine.

I had 1 cheepo from Wal-Mart that never did well at all. So I gave it to a friend who had less culinary snobbiness. And it's been years since I have dared to buy another machine.

My husband goes throgh 2 loaves of bread a week! Guess it's time I also jump on this bandwagon.

I may land on the Zojirushi simply because it has an interrupt cycle that the others don't have. i.e. you can hit cancel and not have to wait 30 or more minutes after unplugging??

It was either this or the Cuisinart. I like it only beacuse of it's stainless finish. Guess it's what's on the inside that matters in this case huh?

Also, I like all kinds of bird-seedy healthy type things in my breads and an artisian style crust. Perhaps either one of these models can fit that bill.

Thanks for the renewed interest.

Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2008 :  1:55:52 PM  Show Profile
i'd been meaning to post to this topic for awhile... i have been using my breadmaker like crazy lately. i had bought one a couple years ago new that quit working. so i was telling my grandma and she told me she'd send me hers since she never uses it. so she did and i swear she never used it because it was wrapped up and looked as if it had never been taken out of the box. and then i didn't use it forever because i'd misplaced the stirrer (the most important part!) but found it and have enjoyed it ever since! it is a Hitachi, but i'm not sure what year it is from... i'll have to investigate to find out.
another interesting story... i have my favorite flea market in town. i went about a month ago and they had the oldest bread maker! over 100 years old! i'm not sure exactly how it worked, but you had to sit and crank it. so maybe it's just like a mixer or something and you do the rest of the work. but it was really neat! they said it still worked, too!

"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy."
-Guillaume Apollinaire
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2008 :  4:50:50 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth, that is really cool! I am glad you shared that.....a century old breadbaker!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Do you have a bread machine? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page