jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2008 :  07:51:41 AM  Show Profile
I use mine all the time. I have had two kinds, a Funai I got on Ebay and now a Breadman that bakes a horizontal loaf.

What do you have and do you like the way it bakes?

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2008 :  07:58:39 AM  Show Profile
I have a Breadman and use it at least a couple of times a week. Love it! I have been making 100% whole wheat bread and buns. It does a great job. I had a bread machine about 15 years ago, don't remember the brand. Anyway, I almost never got a good loaf of bread. It always sank in the middle. Gave up on breadmachines until about 3 years ago and decided to try again. Have had excellent results with the Breadman.
Go to Top of Page

okiequilter
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Cathy

USA
249 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2008 :  08:22:10 AM  Show Profile
I have a Toastmaster bread machine now (inexpensive) that I mainly use for the mixing/kneading part when I'm rushed, then I bake the bread in the oven. I did actually use it for baking a few times when my oven was broke. It was OK (not great), but I would definitely agree that the Breadman is a much better way to go. I've gone through TWO Breadman bread machines over the last twenty or so years. They work GREAT, I just wore them out because I was not only making bread for my family of 5, but baking more for bartering and giving away. Now, there is just my husband and I at home, I don't bake so much. I still use my Breadman Healthy Bread Book by George Burnett ~ love that book! My Magic Mill flour mill is still going strong! (over 20 yrs. old)
Who else has a flour mill and what kind?

Cathy (okiequilter)

www.AuntDaisysCottage.blogspot.com
www.AuntDaisysCottage.com
www.AuntDaisysCottage.etsy.com
A friend loves at all times.
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2008 :  09:01:03 AM  Show Profile
I don't even know the brand of mine-I have had it about 12 years and it was a refurbished one when I bought it. I am pretty much the same as Cathy, only use mine once in a while for kneading/mixing when pressed on time. No one here really cares for it baked in a bread machine (crust not crispy enough). When it dies I probably won't replace it.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2008 :  09:02:11 AM  Show Profile
Oh forgot to mention-Cathy I have a Country Living Grain Mill and LOVE it.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2008 :  10:08:49 AM  Show Profile
Cathy, I have the Breadman's book also. I use the recipe for 100% whole wheat bread on page 67. When the machine starts it's 2nd rise, I take out the dough and make 8 Hamburger buns. Let them rise on a baking sheet and bake in the oven. That has become our favorite bread. makes wonderful toast too.

I would probably have a grain mill if I had access to wheat. Hey I am in Kansas, I bet you thought we all raised wheat. The closest I can buy KS milled flour is Joplin MO. We live closer to Joplin than we do Wichita.
Go to Top of Page

keeperofthehome
True Blue Farmgirl

154 Posts

Suzanne
Atlanta Georgia
USA
154 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2008 :  10:13:56 AM  Show Profile
I have a Zojirushi. I love it! It has a sourdough starter, cake setting, and all kinds of bells and whistles. I'd love to get more recipes for it.

Blessings!
~Farrah
http://homesteadblogger.com/keeperofthehome/
http://oldfashionedhomekeeper.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2008 :  12:11:25 PM  Show Profile
I had the same thing happen to me. When I got the first bread machine, all my bread was not turning out (caved in and tough). Even the first few loaves with the Breadman did not turn out. Then I got the Red Star Yeast the recipes call for, and every loaf is turning out good. I was beginning to get frustrated, so I am glad they are baking up nicely now. I use a recipe that has 2 cups whole wheat and 2 cups bread flour, honey, salt, water, one egg and yeast. It makes a 2 lb loaf. I wold like to try a grain mill.. My daughter has one and really likes it a lot. The wheat from it is so beuatiful!!!

Farrah, you may be able to find extra recipes for your bread machine online. I found some for the breadman brand.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2008 :  3:02:33 PM  Show Profile
I don't have one. Never have. Maybe when all the kids are grown. Right now when I bake bread I bake 3 or 4 loaves..to last 2 days. They would eat the loaf from a bread machine for a snack. sigh. maybe someday.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2008 :  5:11:04 PM  Show Profile
If you had a bread machine, Jenny, you would have to run it at least once a day or more! I have a friend who has two and uses both at once. But when I read the recipes about making your own and doing all the keading and rising, it seems it would take the whole day to do it. How long does it take you?

Farmgirl Sister # 31

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2247 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2247 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2008 :  5:21:30 PM  Show Profile
I don't have one and don't want one. I've been making our bread for 40 years and enjoy the mixing and kneading :-)

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2008 :  8:19:06 PM  Show Profile
I have one I just tried again on Sunday. I baked a white bread recipe, but substituted half the flour for whole wheat flour.

I have a bad rotator cuff, so I used the dough setting, for the kneading aspect. I then baked the loaves in the oven.

I had originally tried it nine years ago when I received it for a gift. I was naive and baked the loaf in the machine. I thought it resembled a bread brick and it tasted awful. It was way too dense.

Glad I gave it another on Sunday. I may try another type this weekend if I have time.

I am just tired of paying $3.50 for a loaf of bread. What is that saying? Necessity is the mother of invention...

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland

Edited by - kissmekate on Oct 22 2008 8:23:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2008 :  9:24:46 PM  Show Profile
The mixing and kneading and all dosn't take all that long really, and I do use my kitchen aid mixer for some of the first part of the mixing..then knead in the flour more by hand and all. It is alot more time waiting than working for sure!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2008 :  08:08:37 AM  Show Profile
Ohhh, I do not have a mixer except for a hand held one that is over 30 years old. It works great for potatoes and mixes, etc. I got my daughter a kitchen-aid for her birthday.

I really want to try and make a loaf all by hand one of these days, but I baked another loaf in the machine yesterday, and it came out light and good...yippee! I am tired of paying so much for store bought bread, too, and I know mine has no preservatives in it.

Judith - how often do you make your bread? I just might enjoy the kneading too if I try it, huh?

Farmgirl Sister # 31

Go to Top of Page

barnagainkristin
True Blue Farmgirl

465 Posts

Kristin
Utah
USA
465 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2008 :  08:42:44 AM  Show Profile
Hi Aunt Jenny,
I too have a kitchen aid and would love to make bread in it. Would you care to share your recipe with another Utah farmgirl :)

barnagainkristin

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves." John Muir
Go to Top of Page

okiequilter
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Cathy

USA
249 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2008 :  09:30:05 AM  Show Profile
Belle,
I'll have to try out that recipe for hamburger buns. I haven't found a good source for wheat berries here, either. I'm still using my supply I had before I moved to OK. It's too pricey at the health food store. There doesn't seam to be any real "natural foods co-ops" here, so I will be in a bind pretty soon. I love the difference in whole wheat bread made from fresh ground wheat, esp. winter white wheat ~ it's so light, hard to believe it's whole wheat! A few weeks ago I was able to go "home" (Wisconsin) to visit family and my daughter took me to 2 of the co-ops she belongs to and I did do some socking up. One thing I got was rye berries. I really have missed making rye bread!
Lillian,
Where did you get your grain mill?
Farrah,
Can you told me more about your machine? ~ the sourdough starter sounds interesting.
Yes, Jenny - I usually use my Kitchenaid to start the bread dough and then knead by hand ~ I think kneading is destressing, love the smell of the dough and you learn by feel to know when the dough is ready. It really does make a much better loaf the old fashion way - now if we'd just have the time...

Cathy (okiequilter)

www.CathysPincushions.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2008 :  09:38:21 AM  Show Profile
If you knead and bake by hand, do you all have a bigger pan than a loaf pan for the bread?

Farmgirl Sister # 31

Go to Top of Page

okiequilter
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Cathy

USA
249 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2008 :  10:28:55 AM  Show Profile
No, I always use recipes that make 2-3 loaves and bake them in the stardard size bread pans. If I'm not giving away the extra loaf, I freeze it.

Cathy (okiequilter)

Go to Top of Page

clux64
True Blue Farmgirl

162 Posts

Celeste
Blair NE
USA
162 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2008 :  3:14:22 PM  Show Profile
I had a bread machine my MIL gave us about 16 years ago. It made round loaves and my DH just couldn't get 'into' the round loaves (he's really, wierdly picky). So I donated it a few years ago. Been thinking about getting another one...my BF has a Zojirushi and loves it, so I'd probably look at that one. In the meantime, does anyone have a decent recipe for plain old sandwich bread that you make the old fashioned way? I'd like to just make a couple loaves using the dough hook on my kitchen aid.

Celeste

"No matter where you go, there you are"
--Confucious

www.urbanprairiehome.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

rhondacate
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Rhonda
Janesville CA
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2008 :  9:15:49 PM  Show Profile
I have a Breadman Plus that I love. (Well, my husband had it when we got married. :))

I use it 2 or 3 times a week and I love the way it bakes. And it's so easy. Start it before I go to bed or go to work...and voila!...fresh bread when I wake up or get home. I don't feel like I have time to bake it myself. And it tastes so yummy from the machine, that I don't feel the need to bake it myself.

I have a recipe called "good whole wheat bread" that is delicious when baked on the wheat setting.

~Rhonda
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2008 :  05:02:19 AM  Show Profile
One of my bread machines, the first one I had, made round loaves, Celeste. It was kind of weird, but I found this turkey that was round, and they matched up and my hubby was happy then. The Breadman does a horizontal loaf that is more like the shape we are used to.

I usually take the loaf out soon after is is done....have never left it in overnight because I thought it might get a little soggy. The kneading blade, though, does get stuck in the loaf, and when it comes out leaves a hugh hole in the bottom. I wish that didn't happen. Does that happen with all bread machines?

Farmgirl Sister # 31

Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2008 :  08:22:42 AM  Show Profile
The kneading blade making a whole in the bottom was my pet peeve about the bread machine I had. And I just didn't care for the bread it did make. Figuring how much room it took up on my limited counter space, I decided it wasn't worth the effort so I sent mine to the Goodwill and went back to "store bought". Now however, since the price of cheap bread has gone up so much, I'm thinking of making more of my own, but I'll just use my Kitchen Aid for the kneeding since I still don't have any more counter space.

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2008 :  09:04:06 AM  Show Profile
I've never used my kitchenaid for kneading, have the dough hooks just haven't tried it. I've been making my bread in the bread machine for a few months now but I think I'll try the kitchenaid this weekend. What kind of yeast do you all use? I'd like to buy in bulk but not sure how, what is available, how to store...tips?
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2247 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2247 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2008 :  10:56:16 AM  Show Profile
I get bulk yeast at our local (30 miles) natural food co-op. Smart and final might also have it, if you have one near you. Whole foods, too.
I used the dough hook on my KitchenAid once when I made a heavy dark pumpernickle.

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

okiequilter
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Cathy

USA
249 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2008 :  1:23:11 PM  Show Profile
Yes, buy bulk yeast from a health food store or your co-op (if you are lucky enough to have one). My choice is SAF Yeast, been using it for 30 years and never had a problem. I keep mine in a glass jar in the freezer and use it straight from there. It keeps for a long time. I've heard that's not a good way to keep it, but it have aways worked great for me.

Celeste,
There are tons of bread recipes on the SAF website, some traditional and some for bread machines. Maybe you can find a good one there ~
www.safyeast.com

Cathy (okiequilter)

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2008 :  2:27:53 PM  Show Profile
I do have one long loaf pan...regular size but about 1/2 again as long...that I just love...perfect for sandwich bread..like a loaf and 1/2!! It was given to me and is very old so I don't know where to find one. I use standard size pans for the most part. I like dark metal best..the glass ones seem to cook the loaves faster on the outside and the inside isn't done as quick.
I will post the recipe for my everyday bread Kristin.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Do you have a bread machine? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page