Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2008 :  07:37:22 AM  Show Profile
Luna...sounds like you are enjoying yourself and that is worth so much. When you love what you are doing...you are rich! I think you have a great start, just keep the wheels up there moving.
I love my shetlands too. They are the sweetest little pets. I can sit in the barn on a bale of hay and they surround me to be petted. Wagging their tail. The wool is just xtra for me.
I know what you mean about being spread all over. The upstairs, the garage, the barn, the milk barn office, and the tack room. Like you, some day I would like it all together but that will be one big space.

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

The people who make a difference in your life are NOT the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones who care.
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2008 :  07:38:40 AM  Show Profile
Grace, do you have your whole operation in one location?

The people who make a difference in your life are NOT the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones who care.
Go to Top of Page

LunaTheFarmLady
True Blue Farmgirl

448 Posts

Luna
Rineyville KY
USA
448 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2008 :  07:44:23 AM  Show Profile
Sarita, thanks for your input on how you sell off the shetland fleeces. This is encouraging too. Of course I have a lot of questions about that too. How many pounds do you get from one of your shearings, for example. Do you sell the whole fleece after skirting and washing or do you divide it into smaller bundles? I agree that handling the wool tells alot about the animal it came from. When I've washed my fleeces they come out beautifully clean, but I still have some vm to deal with. More than I suspect is acceptable to others. What I've been doing is running it through a large picker a few times and that gets most of it out. I'll pick up a little stem here and there as I'm putting it through the carder. So I am hesitant to sell of the entire fleece, even washed, because I'm not sure of what the standard would be on an acceptable amount of vm and like you, I do want to get a good rep for clean, quality fiber. When i compare to other fleeces I've seen at shows, i think mine might have a little more. So this year I'm being extra extra careful in feeding hay. I've tried various feeding systems but they seem determined to swim in the hay. Any suggestion here would be greatly appreciated. I've thought about coating but somehow that seems a bit silly to me. At a later point it might make sense for an individual or two if I were going to show her but I just can't see me putting coats on all these critters!

I've given thought to sending the whole operation out to be processed but haven't done it yet. It would be nice to see how the fleeces spin out on a commercial spinner. Actually, one of the gals in my spinning guild recently opened a fiber processing operation on her farm which is not too far so I'll probably do some experiment with her there.

I love the beautiful ram on your blog. He is just what i would need I think to bring a little more variety into my flock. One other thing on my agenda is to work out how to do that. I cannot take on another ram at this point. I have to do something with my 5 ram lambs first. They are beautiful, just too many. I'm also afraid to breed because i don't want to risk getting so many ramslambs again until I develop a plan for what to do with them. I'm at a standstill. I would love tohear folks' ideas on this issue too.

Do you do a lot of cross breeding? How is that received by handspinners and others, as far as the wool? That is another question I have. Should I stay pure registered shetland or cross breed them? should I get other breeds for their individual characteristics? Do I go the meat route? There is actually a big ethnic market here for lamb meat. It requires a set up that i don't have yet, however. Does anyone do this that can share some ideas on the set up?

Monica, I was also wondering about the cotton too. How it spins. Never done it but I've seen it done and read about.

Thanks ladies!

Luna The Farm Lady
http://blueballmountainspindleneedleworks.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2008 :  08:02:10 AM  Show Profile
Sarita, I would totally be up for trading! I haven't had a chance to spin any yet, but what I have cleaned is so nice and soft! I did get a chance to spin some wool on my wheel last night and I think I am starting to get the hang of it some! I don't know what the difference is between Arizona and Southern cotton! All I know is that I could not pass up getting it. In fact right now the back of my jeep is full of cotton! I know it will be a lot of work to clean it all, but I am having so much fun with all of this and my 3 year old Olivia likes to help me pick out the leaves and twigs and she keeps asking me if I will show her how to make yarn when she gets bigger! What is the name of your ebay site? I will have to check it out! One can never have too much fiber!!

Luna, It sounds like you are having a wonderful time with your sheep! As I said I haven't spun any cotton yet, but if you would like I can send you some to try! Let me know!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

LunaTheFarmLady
True Blue Farmgirl

448 Posts

Luna
Rineyville KY
USA
448 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2008 :  08:06:40 AM  Show Profile
Sarita, I was writing while your respons came in. Thanks for the encouragement. it really nice to see how others are doing similar things and their results. Yes it wiould ne nice to have everything all in one place! ha!

I can see you with the shetland girls lining up for petting. They are the sweetest! i wonder if other breeds are similar or if it's something about the shetlands. These are the only ones I have ever had.

Luna The Farm Lady
Go to Top of Page

LunaTheFarmLady
True Blue Farmgirl

448 Posts

Luna
Rineyville KY
USA
448 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2008 :  08:10:29 AM  Show Profile
Monica!

That would be wonderful! I would gladly send you something from my stashes in return. I was taking pics of everything last night with the intention of putting it on my blog but didn't get that far. I've got lots of good stuff, though, no cotton. What do you wish for?

Glad to hear you got the spinning wheel going!

Luna The Farm Lady
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2008 :  08:22:05 AM  Show Profile
Luna, Anything that can be spun would be great!! What ever you pick out would be great!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2008 :  08:23:03 AM  Show Profile
Luna, being a spinner, knitter, and weaver, I want different fiber..variety is the spice of life. I have used my Shetland rams to cross breed corriedales, oxfords, and polypays and what great wool that I have gotten. I keep some of my best registered Shetlands separate and will probably never cross breed them.
Monica, I don't have a ebay store, I just sell when I can get wool ready to go. I will post it here next time I put some up.
Luna, I also have not put coats on any of my sheep. I think about it but just don't want the expense or worry. We do rotate pastures and keep things mowed up but I know what you mean by the shetlands getting into the hay. I feed hay in pans on the ground. They are not suppose to be in with the big bales at all but they do manage to get in the calf lot once in awhile and that blows the wool. They can get through a mouse hole. I skirt very close to eliminate as much vm as possible. The neck wool and belly wool is tossed most of the time.
I have a picker but don't use it much, it breaks the wool. I think I must be using it wrong, I have had it for several years. I could use some education on the use of a wool picker!!!!
Monica, email me your address.

Go to Top of Page

LunaTheFarmLady
True Blue Farmgirl

448 Posts

Luna
Rineyville KY
USA
448 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2008 :  08:31:57 AM  Show Profile
Sarita, Oh yes the variety! i love it all too and want it around to work with and inspire me.

thanks for your thoughts on cross breeding. will be giving this more thought.

I've resorted to putting the hay on the ground too. That's where it lands anyway. It does seem to keep it out of them a little better. Do you get Sheep! magazine? this issue has a picture of sheep feeding through a fence-like contraption in away that only their heads and neck fit through and it looks like they could not get the hay up over their heads an onto them. I swear mine fling it up in the air and dive into it!

What kind of picker do you have?

Monica, send me your address too.

Luna The Farm Lady
Go to Top of Page

LunaTheFarmLady
True Blue Farmgirl

448 Posts

Luna
Rineyville KY
USA
448 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2008 :  4:07:45 PM  Show Profile
Grace, Your package came in the mail today. Thank you for getting it out so quickly. I scanned the book and love it already. Full of techniques I need to know. i will dive into the camel and silk a little laer but I can tell the colors are just wonderful.

Luna The Farm Lady
Go to Top of Page

LunaTheFarmLady
True Blue Farmgirl

448 Posts

Luna
Rineyville KY
USA
448 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2008 :  9:32:33 PM  Show Profile
Monica, i sent you off a little sample package this afternoon.

Luna The Farm Lady
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2008 :  9:35:43 PM  Show Profile
Luna, Thank you! I did get your e-mail sorry I forgot to let you know! I need your address!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2008 :  09:23:14 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by oldfashioned girl

Grace, What kind of carders do you recommend for wool? Do you carry any? I found another farmgirl by me and she wants to learn to spin! I am so excited! Little does she know, she will soon be addicted!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com

Monica I just sold my last carder in the shop - but my all time fav is my Patrick Green motorized carder - it costs an arm and a leg but for the amount of fiber that comes thru here it was well worth the money.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2008 :  09:33:49 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Keeper of the Past

Grace, do you have your whole operation in one location?

I have all of my operation in my four level log home. In the basement I have my skirting tables, drying racks, fiber storage in the celing and all my fabric stash and supply overages. The next floor is the farm shop - all the items for sale. On that same floor but in a different room is the fiber carding room, picking station and also where folks can process their own fibers. I also have all my personal dyes, dyeing equipment, extra burners, yarns that are getting ready for the retail stores and such all at my finger tips.
The next level is my home but I do use the kitchen and kitchen table more then I wished but you do what you have to do. Next level also is the bedrooms and bathrooms but I also have my office up their and another room where I design finish art pieces, stamping and other craft items - you can never have too many rooms to create in. So as you can tell my life is my business and my business is my life. I do not use my barns for fiber production just animal production. Since my farm is organic I really can not have folks walking around in there so I make sure classes are held either in the house or we set up tents during the summertime. That's give a little glimps into how it works here.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2008 :  09:40:36 AM  Show Profile
Those pickers are tricky - I have Patrick Green triple picker and I found that if you do not put too much in and let the arm swing without forcing it with you hand it takes a little bit at a time without hurting the fiber. Do you do the crackly test before working the fiber? I also tease the fibers by hand a little before going to the picker - that seems to not get them to break also.. I never place fleece on it that has not been washed.. Hope that helps some.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2008 :  09:42:43 AM  Show Profile
Grace, I couldn't resist the silk rods any longer! I would say that I have to stay away from your etsy site because there are too many beautiful tempting things, but I know realistically I won't at all! I guess I will just have to get busy and start selling some yarn to justify my wonderful fiber addiction! Maybe it's a good thing I don't live close, although if I am ever over that way, I would love to see your shop!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2008 :  09:43:37 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Grace, you painted a great picture. I just did not realize all the room required to work on this fiber when I first started...like that would make a difference!
It is Friday and all I can think about is the new BL ram that I am adding to my fiber animals...hope to pick him up Sunday. Monday morning I a selling lambs for this year. Pray that the prices will be up....with the hay and grains up!

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2008 :  09:49:50 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Grace, maybe I am putting too much wool in my picker because I do force it sometimes. I have a hand turn Patrick Greene drum carder...been thinking about a motorized one...also been thinking of 3 drums instead of 2.

Go to Top of Page

LunaTheFarmLady
True Blue Farmgirl

448 Posts

Luna
Rineyville KY
USA
448 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2008 :  3:26:16 PM  Show Profile
Grace i Love the concept of "my business is my life and my life is my business". Your operation sounds ideal. One thing that I'm finding out is that the space for carding really does need to be dedicated. I have a Strauch double wide, hand crank in my studio room off the living room and it has taken over. There are bags and boxes of fiber everywhere and I really can't use it for anything else. I'm gonna have to move it outta there. The barn here does not seem to ever have been used for animals. I think the previous owner used it as a workshop. I'm told there was another horse barn which burned down years ago. So in the work barn I have my skirting table, fleece storage and the picker. Also a second hand stove and tubs for washing (no hot water though) and my dye equipment. The rest of the building is used for other stuff. Alan's workshop and the gardening equipment is also in there. I fight to keep my section for wool processing,! My spinning wheel and assorted baskets of roving and batts I'm working on or plan to work on are upstairs in what used to be an upstairs sitting/tv room and I have set up a small electric spinner in the downstairs living room where my treadle sewing machine is also. Ha! i took that over, too. Someday I would love to have a shop/studio in the summer kitchen which is between the house and the work barn. It's all in progress and i keep moving things around. Since I don't have hot water out in the barn I've been using the tub in the bathroom (only one bathroom in this old house) and I have fleeces drying all over the place. I think the only room that does not have any wool related stuff is the spare bedroom upstairs. (I crochet and read about wool in my bedroom!) O well: Can I borrow that phrase for when my sister comes to visit and her jaw drops when she walks into my kitchen to find felted balls and fleece locks on the kitchen/dining room table (no separate dining area) and wool washing int he tub? My business is my life and my life is my business!

Luna The Farm Lady

Edited by - LunaTheFarmLady on Oct 31 2008 3:31:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

LunaTheFarmLady
True Blue Farmgirl

448 Posts

Luna
Rineyville KY
USA
448 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2008 :  3:28:56 PM  Show Profile
[quote]Originally posted by grace gerber

Do you do the crackly test before working the fiber?

Grace Can you say more about this? Not sure what you mean, Thanks.

Luna The Farm Lady
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2008 :  5:59:02 PM  Show Profile
Luna you sure can use that simple phrase. I think your set up sounds wonderful and someday you will have that hot water - Sometines when I have all the extra electric buners going and then the propane outdoor stoves going I have 12 huge dye pots going at the same time. It can look really crazy but those are my kind of days. I have wheels in just about every room and drop spindals at every chair too - just keeping those hands busy. We are not even going to talk about the stamping projects, sewing projects, crocheting projects and the list goes on - you will even find projects in the truck so if I get somewhere and have to wait I can still keep those hands busy. I am what I do and loving every minute.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2008 :  6:04:58 PM  Show Profile
Sorry I hit the button before answering your question on the crackle test. Take about a 1/2 wide hunk of fiber or locket, hold it inbetween your thumb and first fingers on each end of the hunk of fiber, now hold it up to your ear and gently but firmly start to pull. Hopefully you will hear no crackling but get ready to start counting - sounds like Rice Crispies - the number of crackles tells you how many breaks are in the staple length. This will tell you the soundness of the fleece and how to deal with it. It also gives you a window into the health and soundness of the animal it came from. I do this test of the fiber several times during the year while it is still on the animal because it will tell me if someone has been running a temp. are they lacking for minerals, what is the stress level going on in the herd or flock and many other pieces of info. This is also what I do before purchasing animals or fleece. Hope that helps but if I did not explain it too well let me know.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2008 :  6:52:56 PM  Show Profile
Grace, Luna, you two sound so much like me! I took the milk room in the old milk barn and I store my fleeces and wool in there. Danny and I once upon a time cut trees and made baskets of all kinds...those baskets are full of wool and yarn. I also like to turn wood on our lathes. I make knitting needles...by no means perfect but I can knit on them and I pride myself on how smooth I can make them. And to boot, the wood comes from this farm...walnut, maple, hedge, ash, cedar, pine. When I make a new pair of knitting needles, ....I have to see how they work so I start a new project or display them with some of my wool yarn in baskets. I think I have a spinning wheel or a loom or a knitting project in every room but the kitchen. I love my sheep, the fiber, the projects and the finished items in my home. I feel very blessed.

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2008 :  7:30:00 PM  Show Profile
Grace,Luna and Sarita, Can I please just adopt all 3 of you as my fiber mentors! I am just mesmerized sitting here reading the posts! I never imagined I would fall in love with fiber this way! Grace I always have my drop spindle with me, in fact I have another lady interested in learning to spin yarn! I saw some fleeces for sale on spin free and I want to buy one so bad! Oh I am so addicted to fiber!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

LunaTheFarmLady
True Blue Farmgirl

448 Posts

Luna
Rineyville KY
USA
448 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2008 :  9:08:21 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Grace, yes, someday I will have the hot water where I need it and some of the other good things to make it run a little smoother but, as you say, when it's all going, it may look a little crazy but what the heck, it's fun. Deal: we will not DISCUSS all the OTHER stuff that is crammed into that side room off the LR and overflowing everywhere else! ha!

Yes Sarita, you, too have been recognized! Now I must know all about those baskets and the hand made knitting needles. I love hand made knitting and crochet needles. I love lathe work too. I haven't tried, actually but my friend down the road makes me bowls for my pin cushions and we have experimented making primitive supported spindles and such. Now I want to try the knitting needles. Can you post a picture?

I think you guys have me beat on the number of wheels and spindles, I only have the two wheels and 5 spindles. Oh, almost forgot the looms! I got this huge ancient loom from a guild friend and will hopefully find room to set it up in the work barn this winter. I also feel blessed and grateful to be doing what makes me happy most of the time.

Luna The Farm Lady
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Tail Spun Anyone?? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page