Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2008 :  10:21:40 PM  Show Profile
Woohoo!! Monica, I'll email you. :0)

((((hugs))))

Stephanie
www.queenofdreamsz.blogspot.com ~~~Crochet, Sewing, Life Collections & Recollections Blog
www.dreamkingdomdesigns.blogspot.com Vintage & Modern Fabric, Fiber & Yarn Blog
www.dreamkingdomdesigns.com ~~~~~Go Shopping at my Website Catalog!!
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2008 :  12:55:14 PM  Show Profile
I've put a few pictures on my queen of dreamsz blog www.queenofdreamsz.blogspot.com of my meager attempts at spinning on the drop spindle. I did enjoy it but after watching Bonne's video of her spinning I could plainly see I wasn't using a long enough piece of wool to begin with. I think she's more coordinated than I also!

Stephanie
www.queenofdreamsz.blogspot.com ~~~Crochet, Sewing, Life Collections & Recollections Blog
Go to Top of Page

LunaTheFarmLady
True Blue Farmgirl

448 Posts

Luna
Rineyville KY
USA
448 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2008 :  7:34:58 PM  Show Profile
Hi Grace

Love, love, love your tailspun yarn. I am a spinner as well, although I do not think I am in your category. I am having fun with it though. I've spun for 15 years but not seriously until last year. I ordered some of your silk noils, camel down and one of your books. Couldn't resist.

Luna The Farm Lady
http://blueballmountainspindleneedleworks.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2008 :  07:28:10 AM  Show Profile
It was wonderful to receive your order and the book is one of my fav's - very clear instructions and will be a constant reference book over the years. I can not wait to see what you do with the camel - as you know it comes from a friend of mines own sweethearts. The silk will be an exciting departure from the norm. I love meeting other spinners - one thing to remember I have spinning friends who skill is so beyond mine but I use that to get excited and try new things - we are all students and I can not wait to see your yarn... Take care and enjoy your new goodies.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2008 :  10:35:34 AM  Show Profile
Hi Grace, I have never heard of tail spinning...I really like it! I have been spinning some of my longer shetland wool into something very similar...but not exactly...guess I am free forming as I go. I am knitting a scarf out of mine and it looks so warm and soft and cozy.
Anyone that doesn't spin, should. Put on some relaxing music or a audio book to listen to and get lost in your own little world.
Happy spinning
Sarita

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

The people who make a difference in your life are NOT the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones who care.
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2008 :  10:38:44 AM  Show Profile
Sarita, I couldn't agree with you more! I now have about 100 bags of cotton to clean and learn how to spin!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

LunaTheFarmLady
True Blue Farmgirl

448 Posts

Luna
Rineyville KY
USA
448 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2008 :  11:08:03 AM  Show Profile
Grace

i am looking forward to experimenting with the camel and the silk....not necessarily together. i agree that we learn from each other. I love looking at what other spinners are doing and thinking about their process. Always it adds something to what i do. I have been distracted the last few months with life nonsense but I hope to spend max time spinning this fall and winter and I've revisited knitting and crochet the last week and may spend some serious time working on that as well. Yes Sarita, I agree, that it is away of creating your own relaxing world.

Luna The Farm Lady
Go to Top of Page

Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

3003 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA
3003 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2008 :  1:20:55 PM  Show Profile
I'm putting in my agreement with Sarita as well. It's so mindless & repetitive you can't help but launch into a meditative state. My cats are mesmerized by it too~I found that so funny to see them watching me.

Monica, is that Arizona grown cotton?

http://bonne1313.blogspot.com/ BLOG

Edited by - Bonne on Oct 27 2008 1:21:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2008 :  2:16:58 PM  Show Profile
Bonne, It is! There are acres and acres of cotton fields about 15 miles down the road from me so I have been picking up what blows off the fields, but yesterday I got to pick some from the fields because I finally got a hold of the farm and got permission! It was the most wonderful afternoon! It was quiet and perfect weather with just a slight breeze! All you could really hear was the rustle of the dried pods when the wind blew! It almost made me sad because I don't even remotely know anyone here who would have any desire what so ever to go with me! Sometimes it's lonely being a farmgirl! I must say though, it really does make me appreciate all of you ladies all the more because even though your not close, I know I'm not completely alone! I will never be able to convey how much all of your friendships mean to me!!! Okay, enough of being all sappy!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!!!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

3003 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA
3003 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2008 :  2:35:09 PM  Show Profile
Oh, geez, I'd love to get my cotton pickin' hands on pickin' some cotton with you!!
Marking down "trip to AZ to pick cotton" on my life's "to do" list. lol

http://bonne1313.blogspot.com/ BLOG
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2008 :  6:41:31 PM  Show Profile
Bonne, I would love to have you!!!! Just think of how much fun we would have picking cotton and spinning yarn! If you want I will send you some when I get more cleaned and carded!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

LunaTheFarmLady
True Blue Farmgirl

448 Posts

Luna
Rineyville KY
USA
448 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2008 :  8:33:52 PM  Show Profile
Stephanie

I took a peek at your spindled yarn on your blog. I like the one you plyed with the eyelash yarn. Have you tried knitting or crocheting with it? Also like your little crocheted hearts. I've picked up my crochet again and find it very peaceful. I'm finishing a shawl I started years ago.

Luna The Farm Lady
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2008 :  08:03:16 AM  Show Profile
Luna I love your wonderful sheep at the beginning of your blog. A long time friend raises Shetland and Churro (she is 83 years young) and I just finished up the last of her fleece I purchased - do you sell your fleece???

I just finished yesturday washing the most incredible Britsh Shetland (carmel with hints of gray) from another breeder friend of mine in Canada - the crimp is so tight - never seen that type of crimp in a colored wool. I am thinking of putting it up for sale put after spending hours with my hands in the fleece I do not know if I could - price has to be right.

I copied your recipe down and plan to use it this weekend thanks for sharing it - sounds great.

Great to meet you and thanks for your support of my farm too!

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

LunaTheFarmLady
True Blue Farmgirl

448 Posts

Luna
Rineyville KY
USA
448 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2008 :  10:21:44 AM  Show Profile
Grace

That sheep in my header is Henna. She is one of favorite of the girls. I just love that expression on her face shortly after birthing her first twins this spring. I've been working with her fleece recently. The color and texture is just beautiful. She is very silky with long loose wavy staple with at least 4 colors form tip to root. Shetland's are amazingly varied judging from the ones I have. Some are tight and crimpy and some are long and silky. Some are both on one fleece. The colors are so beautiful. I just carded samples from four of my fleeces last night: Creamy white, Reddish Brown (moorit), a blue grey and a solid black plus one htat has bits of all. I will try to get to posting a pictue on my blog later today.

I do plan to sell the fleeces if there is interest. I am new at this and still figureing out which is the best way to go: fleece, batts, yarn, felting roving etc.. I do ten to still buy other rovings and batts just cause I like them too and want to experiment with the mixes. I love spinning. It does take more time though. And lately time has a lot of pulls on it.

All the girls were sheared this spring and I'm debating whether it's too late to have them sheared again this week. By spring their fleeces are so long and heavy that they are hard to handle. My spring lambs are just gorgeous right now and i want to get my hands on their fleeces too before they change. I'm soooo behind in washing and processing from spring though.

I would love to pick your brain on how you work with wool. You seem to do a lot! What are the advantages of doing allthe different aspects.

Luna The Farm Lady
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2008 :  2:46:42 PM  Show Profile
I love talking fiber so just let me know what you would like to know and I will share what I can... There are so many ways to go about fiber businesses that you can really taylor it to work best for yourself. There are also many here who will gladly share their experiences too.

Have the British Shetland finally dry and now I am not sure if I want to card it or just sell it as it - that way others can put their own blends together. Any thoughts ladies???

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

LunaTheFarmLady
True Blue Farmgirl

448 Posts

Luna
Rineyville KY
USA
448 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2008 :  2:59:21 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Gra? ce.

Here's one question that I have been tossing around. I know you have your etsy shop and I think you mentioned somewhere that you also have shop at your farm (?). Do you also do fiber shows and fests? Which do you prefer and why?

Ok...that sounds like a whole interview-full type qustion. How about what part of the fiber business do you like the best?

Luna The Farm Lady
Go to Top of Page

LunaTheFarmLady
True Blue Farmgirl

448 Posts

Luna
Rineyville KY
USA
448 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2008 :  3:06:15 PM  Show Profile
I would love to see the British Shetland fleece. My thoughts would be: Do you feel a yarn or other product in it. Does it suggest something to you? That's kind of how I'm looking at my fleeces right now. I also just washed another Moorit fleece and am waiting to see what it looks like too. But I also have a lot of other fiber that I'm itching to get to.

Another question: Are British Shetland different than what I call primitive Shetland? Their genetics, I believe, do come Britain.

Luna The Farm Lady
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2008 :  3:08:38 PM  Show Profile
Grace, My thought is...I want some!! I know I am probably not much help! Seriously though maybe some as is and some carded for those who don't have carders!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2008 :  3:19:06 PM  Show Profile
Grace,

I received my Alpaca yarn today!! It's so beautiful. :0) Thanks for the superfast shipping.

Luna, I have used a bit of the eyelass yarn as a trim..thanks for visiting me! Drop by anytime...:0)

I've updated my queen of dreamsz blog with the Alpaca I just received from Grace if anyone wants to see it. :0)

www.queenofdreamsz.blogspot.com

Stephanie
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2008 :  4:21:39 PM  Show Profile
Stephanie, Very pretty yarn!!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2008 :  4:57:03 PM  Show Profile
Thanks so much Stephanie - I am glad you like what my sweet boys produce and that colorway is my colors - I have some of this in my stash...

Thanks again for your support and purchase.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2008 :  5:22:58 PM  Show Profile
Hi Luna

The problem is if I touch it too much I will never wish to part with it. I will get pictures of it up on the blog in the next day or two. It has a wonderful deep carmel with hints of a very soft gray in it. I just love the feel of the British breed because the do not feel quite like the primative shetland. I think that the one's that are still living on the Island or in Canada have a genetic pool that is more of a downey feel where as the primative has more of the two coat feel. I had never seen this type of Shetland before untill I spent some time with a lady who went to Iceland with me. There fleeces where just unbelievable.

I love spinning their fleece and have done so for many years and sell the yarn in the farm shop but I keep hearing from folks that I need to share some fibers so they can play too!

Monica - at one time I offered special carding in my farm shop and I guess I might bring that back - the problem is I just have not figured out how to do that on Etsy without a ton of confussion. I convo a couple of Etsy sellers who had nothing but greif trying to offer that service. Maybe someone can figure that out - I am always open to suggestions.

Luna those are great questions - I LOVE and I mean LOVE every part of the fiber business except spending time trying to list items on the computer. There is the animal side which I would spend every minute of every day doing if I could, I also would spend every minute doing the fiber art side - I really can sit and spin for 10 hours at a time and never even think about stopping. I live to have fiber in my hands no matter how I get it there. I just do not like the selling side - if I could get someone to do that I sure would. I have been thinking of going to all wholesale orders but that limits my creative side and I would hate to have to make the same thing over and over again.

As for shows and fairs, I have over the years done all the big shows that are juried in the US but my fav's or Estes Park Wool Market and Taos Wool Festival because they are close and most of my fellow fiber friends go to those. I have not traveled to shows in the past two years because of now running the farm and business all by myself. I have a good following that I have developed over the years so now I just have to figure how to get it all done.

I would love to hear what your thoughts are to those same questions... It is exciting to me to hear what has put a person on the path they are on and what are they planning for the future.
Give Henna a kiss from me and I am hoping those who read this will also share their answers to you great questions.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2008 :  6:33:18 PM  Show Profile
Grace, What kind of carders do you recommend for wool? Do you carry any? I found another farmgirl by me and she wants to learn to spin! I am so excited! Little does she know, she will soon be addicted!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2008 :  05:16:29 AM  Show Profile
Luna, I have had no problems getting rid of my shetland wool on Ebay. I list 2lbs of a lamb's first shearing (hoggit) for $30 buy it now and the wool sells usually in a few hrs. I never sell my fleeces without washing them first. The wool tells me lots about the sheep's health and traits so I want to wash and handle it. Also never want to sell anyone a weak fleece or a dirty fleece. I want the Spinning C name always to mean quaility. I know that I will never make a living selling my wool and sheep but I love the little extra it does bring in and the joy that I get from working with the wool.
Some of my shetlands are fine and silky and others have the double coats. I have many different colors and like you said the color changes from year to year. I really like the silvers or light grays and fawn colors...I dye them and they have a very heather look.
I sent 5 fleeces off to have spun into yarn and it came back so lovely that I have held on to it for weaving and knitting...intended to sell some. Maybe this year!
I have paid the downpayment on a Border Leister Ram, White Knight, and plan to cross some of my shetlands as well as corriedales....still looking to improve my produces from the Spinning C.
We will drive down to pick him up this week end.
Monica, I have never spun cotton...how is that going? Trade you a few oz of wool for few oz of wool???? I would just like to give it a try. Is there a big difference between Az cotton and southern grown cotton?
got to quit rambling and get to work this morning...everyone have a great day!!!
God bless and keep you all
Sarita

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

The people who make a difference in your life are NOT the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones who care.
Go to Top of Page

LunaTheFarmLady
True Blue Farmgirl

448 Posts

Luna
Rineyville KY
USA
448 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2008 :  07:19:22 AM  Show Profile
Grace, Thanks for the info on the British Shetlands. I'm actually not sure now which I have. I know that the breeder I got them from imports British genetics and she has had many champions. I suspect that ours were not her top of the line although to my eye they are really beautiful. I'll go back and check their papers and contact her for info.

I think that overall I need to do more research on the breed but also go throught he experience of working with the wool from the various individuals I have and others. I've had these girls for little more than a year and a half and have gone through one shearing. They now look very different than when I first got them as the wool came in differently after the shearing. My spring lambs are from this first group and their wool is just luscious on the hoof. I got all black rams though. Actually two have changed to a that makes them look like they are wearing tuxedos with silver grey shirts. One has developed a chocolate brown look to him ad the other two are pretty black. I am waiting to hear from the shetland guru shearer from this area who tells me he can still shear at this late date. But it seems too cold to me. Thoughts?

I agree with you Grace. I too love all aspects of the fiber production. I just love the sheep themselves. They are sweet and funny and just simply beautiful. I think that I am too attached to them and to their lambs. It makes it hard to send them off. I havent been able to do it. I now have all these rams lambs that really should be somewhere else. I am not able to rotate my pastures enough because I have to dedicate a large section for them separate from the girls who are their moms or aunties. They are in with their sire who actually keeps them in line. They but each other but I have not seen any serious fights. Breeding season is just starting though. I have pretty much decided not to breed this year until some issues get settled out. I will miss the lambs though. It really is one of themost esxciting parts. I might want to breed one or two of the girls...not yet decided.

And then of course the art side is what i absolutely love the most too. I have sat and spun for full days at a time as well. It is just the most pleasant way to spend my time. I also enjoy the blending of the fibers on the carder and experimenting with fiber from other sheep types, and especially angora rabbit fur. I have many samples from other blends in my stash which are just gorgeous and they inspire me to do more. Time is an issue as right now I am constantly being pulled away back to NJ to settle my situation up there. But given a choice, the art side is where I would spend most of my time. I'm developing my felting techniques and doing some 3d work again, making dolls and little figures. I have started ordering felting needles to repackage and resell and some other fibers to also repackage for felting.

That brings me to the retail side. My preference would be to have a home based shop where I could set up everything I have to sell. I love pulling together displays and developing kits and packages of material for the crafter and artist. That requires a dedcated space which right now is in my one room studio which is actually a room in the main house that also has much of my other supplies too. It is just too cramped to actually work it most of the time. This is another ongoing project...setting up this space so that i can store, work and display in their. Eventually, I will move this whole side to the old summer kitchen next to the main house. This however, is needs a lot of renovation which will not even be started till next year. So right now, I am basically all over the house AND barn! The skirting table and picker are now in the barn along with various tubs and supplies for washing and cleaning. This space is also shared with other barn activities so again is not ideal but I am grateful to have it.

Then there are the shows. I did my first show as a vendor last month and thoroughly enjoyed it. The feedback I got was very positive and encourageing. I also made some contacts for the future. The challenge there of course is lugging everything there, setting it up and then breaking it down. Also having enough prodeuct to sell. That is where I think I could have done better if I had had more product, specifically yarn and felting supplies. I probably could have sold fleeces as well. It was great learning experience. I'll do it again next year but I'm not sure i want to or am able to travel far to do this though. I did attend another show in Southern Indicana which was bigger and well attended by buyers. I will probably do that one next year too. Maybe one other one that is not too far. The ideal is to develop a good following as you have done. I know that that takes time and also getting a reputation for good quality and unique products as Sarita says above.

So that is my path I'm travelling. Thisis where I want to be and wish I had started many years ago but I am here now and loving it. It is work that for me life giving. When I viswit Henna a little later, I'll make sure to give her a little kiss for you! i can see them from my window, enjoying the cool fall air!

Luna The Farm Lady
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Tail Spun Anyone?? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page