Debs
True Blue Farmgirl

100 Posts

Debs
Wellington
New Zealand
100 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2005 :  03:46:18 AM  Show Profile
This book was written by Elizabeth West, and is "an account of the simple life". I have written a review of it on my website and the people who take care of the estate of John Seymour, have granted permission for me to put his Foreword to the book on my webpage as well.
See: http://uk.geocities.com/turehu2/suff/hovel.html
Anyone who is interested in living a more self-sufficient lifestyle on very little money, should read this book, you will learn a lot! There are second-hand copies available on abebooks.com - also the sequels "Garden in the Hills" and "Kitchen in the Hills" can be found, but are quite rare. She has also written a book about their life in the Forest of Dean, called "Patch in the Forest" which is still in print.

BlueApple
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Julia
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2005 :  05:58:47 AM  Show Profile  Send BlueApple an AOL message
It sounds great! Thank you for the recommendation!

Julia
BlueApple Farm
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2005 :  08:49:32 AM  Show Profile
ooooh..sounds like my kind of book too..I will have to look for it!!!
Thanks!!

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2005 :  09:38:11 AM  Show Profile
Sounds like my kind of book too. My daughter and her husband and 1 year old son live in a yurt on 8 acres out in the boondocks of northern Wisconsin where they have 10 inches of snow this past day or two. They live a simple life, you can see the construction process of an owner built yurt on their webb site
www.foursongs.com
and click on owner built yurt. Their webb site also tells you some of what they do to make ends meet in their house. It is always a challenge but worthwhile adventure to live this life style.
I think she would enjoy this book too.
Eileen

Songbird; singing joy to the earth

Edited by - Eileen on Nov 19 2005 09:41:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

Debs
True Blue Farmgirl

100 Posts

Debs
Wellington
New Zealand
100 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2005 :  1:48:24 PM  Show Profile
I am currently reading the sequel to Hovel in the Hills - called Garden in the Hills, all about how the Wests transformed most of their land into a wonderful fruit and veg garden. So far, very humorous and entertaining as they start to remove weeds, old tractor and mill parts, bottles, and various other strange articles in order to prepare the soil.
I have also bought Patch in the Forest, it is still in print and available from any well known book store or the publishers, Logaston Press. All royalties from this book go to the small local hospital near where Patch in the Forest is set.

Eileen - your daughter's place is amazing! The photos show an excellent step-by-step guide to the building process of the yurt. The "spiral house" looks like its going to be fantastic - have they started building this?

Debby
Go to Top of Page

RachelLeigh
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

Rachel
Rainier WA
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2005 :  2:30:36 PM  Show Profile
I just finished Hovel in the Hills after picking it up on Debs' suggestion. It was GREAT! I highly recommend it!
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Hovel in the Hills Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page