Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 I found another author I like...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic I found another author I like... Next Topic  

LisaBee
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Lisa
Sparta TN
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2005 :  07:28:47 AM  Show Profile  Send LisaBee a Yahoo! Message
For those of you who have found the Laura Childs Tea Shoppe Mysteries and Scrapbooking Mysteries that I mentioned on another post a while back, I have found another author I am liking a lot. There may have already been a post about her, but I haven't read all the way back in the posts on this topic.

Her name is Susan Witig Albert, and she writes the Garden Mysteries. The main character in these books is China Bayles, who owns an herb shop in Pecan Springs, TX. Like the Laura Childs books which have tea tips and scrapbooking tips, these ones are full of herbal lore, recipes and crafts all having to do with gardening and growing herbs. Plus a really good mystery thrown in! The first book in the series is called "Thyme of Death". I am reading this one now. If anyone has read her books, please let me know.

"There is no teacup too large, nor book too long."
http://lisa222.blogspot.com

primjillie
True Blue Farmgirl

138 Posts

Jill
Antelope CA
USA
138 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2005 :  09:31:18 AM  Show Profile
I love both of these authors. Susan Albert is wonderful. I have bought and read all her China Bayles series and one of her new things is a series about Beatrix Potter. She has two books out so far and they are so charming! All the animals talk and have personalities and I have really enjoyed the books. I think it would be a good series to read to your children. Other similiar authors are Diane Mott Davidson (chef mysteries), Sarah Graves (Maine mysteries) and Earlene Fowler (quilt mysteries). If you like Susan Albert, you will like these other ones too. Enjoy!
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2005 :  11:16:14 AM  Show Profile
Hi Lisa -- thanks for recommending the Tea Shoppe Mysteries. I just went to the library website and ordered the first two.

Has anyone ever read The Elm Creek Quilt series by Jennifer Chiaverini? They are about this lady that inherits her family estate and turns it into a place where quilter's come for retreats. It's also about her friends and then her search for her great-grandmothers and mother's quilts. Some mystery, history, and quilting all rolled into one.

http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2005 :  5:47:30 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!!

I love Susan Wittig Albert as a person and as an author. If you go to her website at www.mysterypartners.com, I think that you will really enjoy it. Be sure to click on her blog. It is fascinating-covers her writing, herbs growing on the land at her home in the Hill Country of Tx, her knitting projects, her grand and great grand children etc etc.

She is also selling raffle tickets for $5.00 each. There will be 3 winners, and 1 person will be featured in each of her 3 mystery series using their real name and everything. Proceeds benefit the Storytelling Network.

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

LisaBee
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Lisa
Sparta TN
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2005 :  11:31:24 AM  Show Profile  Send LisaBee a Yahoo! Message
I have not read the Elm Creek Quilt series, but I can't wait to check it out. Since I am planning on turning my home into a scrapbooking/quilters/crafters retreat, I bet this will give me some great ideas. Thanks for the post!

Go to Top of Page

LisaBee
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Lisa
Sparta TN
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2005 :  11:36:10 AM  Show Profile  Send LisaBee a Yahoo! Message
Connie, Go back into your post and edit out the comma at the end of the link to mysterypartners.com. When you try to access that site from your post, the comma messes it up. Thanks for the link...I am definitely a new fan of hers, and I can't wait to read her website.

Kay, You mentioned an online library. Is that something local, or nationwide?

Go to Top of Page

LisaBee
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Lisa
Sparta TN
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2005 :  08:37:01 AM  Show Profile  Send LisaBee a Yahoo! Message
Kay, Thanks so much for recommending the Elm Creek series. Now I spend my time reading instead of unpacking. Plus I start quilt lessons on Saturday with the local quilting guild. I may not get a lot of boxes unpacked, but at least I will be able to cover them up with pretty quilts!

Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2005 :  12:08:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Lisa, I SO know what you mean. I love these books. Just read The Sugar Camp Quilt, and while it was a departure from the original tale of Sylvia and Co, it was pretty good. They are addictive!Have you seen the quilt books..."Quilts from Elm Creek" or something like with patterns?
Hey ..you are staring quilt classes at the local quilt shop? Gee, that sounds familiar...is it called Grandma's Attic?? LOL
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2005 :  8:33:51 PM  Show Profile
Oh you're lising all of my favorite authors and books.

Have any of you read the books by Laurie King featuring Sherlock Holmes and Mary Russel? I may have mentioned them on an earlier post somewhere else on this site. I love them! When I started reading them I rationed myself because there were only 5 books and I didn't want to read them too fast. Now there are 2 new books out. The first book is The Beekeeper's Apprentice.

"I suppose the pleasure of country life lies really in the eternally renewed evidence of the determination to live." Vita Sackville-West

Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2005 :  2:34:22 PM  Show Profile
I'm getting so many great books from all of you - I'm reading a Laura Childs teashoppe mystery and yesterday, I looked at the first Elm Creek quilting book, but didn't get it. Can any of you suggest an author who writes books about food or cooking in a story form, but not a mystery? I know about Diane Mott Davidson, but I'm looking for a series of books that aren't mysteries, but revolve around cooking or food. If I don't find any, I may have to start writing some myself! I've read many food essay type books that I like, from people like Ruth Reichl, Jeffery Steingarten, Peter Mayle. Have bought a couple by Anthony Bourdain, but haven't read yet. I'm just looking for some nice, cozy fiction stories now and since my hobby is cooking, not quilting, I'm hoping to discover something to suit me.
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic I found another author I like... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page