oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2008 :  4:32:38 PM  Show Profile
Diana, I think the 12 Steps are great! Step 2 is my only hope!!!! Well ladies wish me well because I have to go to the fabric store to get fabric for a skirt order and I will let you know if I make it out with just the fabric I need!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2008 :  4:36:41 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
LOL
I am running out of fabric! send some my way!!

Linda in Scranton, PA
farmgirl #71
Yes! I live in the Scranton, PA "The Office" TV show is based on! LOL LOL
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2008 :  10:41:59 AM  Show Profile
Diana, great 12 steps except I take exception to this one:

Step 5 - Admitted to ourselves and to our fellow craft stashers the exact nature of our wrongs.

I don't think it's WRONG necessarily... Ha--guess I'm really not ready to join you all yet...can't find anything wrong with it yet--sheesh, how long is it going to take me? I've been hoarding for 30+ years.

Monica - if you are just getting started in a new craft venue and haven't had the chance to stash yet...you are indeed not into 'holic' mode yet. Enjoy yourself for a while first! i.e. go on your binge girl, and we'll be here to enable you more or pick up the pieces (or take some fiber off of your hands) when you are totally addicted!!

Yesterday I went to a spin-in and had a vendor table to sell stuff. I did sell stuff...bought just as much as I sold!!! All in the name of a bargain and "oh...I could use that!" mentality. Help. There is no cure for me I fear.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

homergirl1957
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

cathy
tieton washington
111 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2008 :  11:09:26 AM  Show Profile
my name is cathy and i am a stashaholic! there step one out of the way. just bought two wreath forms yesterday and 3 yards of fabric just because i liked it so i have a ways to go on the steps. however, "today is the first day of the rest of your life."

in the midst of difficulty lies opportunity.-a. einstein
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2008 :  1:06:50 PM  Show Profile
Jami, Thank you, but I think you are already enabling me! We love you anyway even if there is no cure for you! I will have some yarn to clear out soon because my wheel from Grace will be here tomorrow! I don't suppose it would be fair to show pics of hand spun yarn on the Stashaholics thread, would it!!! That might be too enabling!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com

Edited by - oldfashioned girl on Oct 19 2008 2:01:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2008 :  1:19:09 PM  Show Profile
I don't know if I'd call it enabling, but maybe tempting... Hmmmmm...

I have to say, that despite my little purchase yesterday, I was able to use up some of my stash on Christmas cards and recipe cards, and I signed up for the 6 1/2" charm square swap to use up some fabrics. I realized while looking for calicos that I have quite a few fat quarters that I may turn into the 6 1/2" charm squares to go with my swap squares. Oh, and I thought of a little prayer to go with our 12 steps, based on the serenity prayer for all the other "anonymous" groups...

The Stashaholics Serenity Prayer
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I already own;
courage to use them in new and exciting ways;
and wisdom to know that building an addition on the house
for more craft supplies will not be the ultimate answer to the problem.

Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting that I may not have that fabric
in every color,
or enough yarn to circle the equator twice,
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
Amen.

Ann in Oswego

Times may be tough, but farmgirls are tougher!
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2008 :  1:39:49 PM  Show Profile
Ann, you have a way with words, girl. Love the serenity prayer for stashaholics. The equator line is too much...maybe because it so close to reality for me.

On a positive note, I have used up 3 skeins of yarn in the last 3 days making DH's Christmas sweater and started a really fun new hat pattern that is teaching me new skills in twining yarn as you knit. It's been fun to learn something new and use a bit of my stash at the same time!

Two of my purchases yesterday at the spin-in were 1) One Skein Wonders...a book of knitting patterns using just one skein of yarn (good for the leftovers in my stash) and 2) a pound of bamboo roving to card in with my Texel and Coopworth fibers--the yarns she mixed like this were heavenly soft, almost like a silk blend, so I am anxious to use some of my washed, dyed fleeces with this blend and spin them up.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2008 :  2:04:25 PM  Show Profile
Ann, I love the prayer!! It is perfect! I am going to have to write that one down!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2008 :  10:01:18 PM  Show Profile
Ann, the Prayer hits the nail on the head! I'm praying now:
"...God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I already own;
courage to use them in new and exciting ways..."

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2008 :  07:23:23 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
I'm addicted to reading the Farmgirl forums! Also, my wrist so sore that my Dr. says take a break from typing and crafts and I just suffer the pain and can't stop!

Linda in Scranton, PA
farmgirl #71
Go to Top of Page

rhondacate
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Rhonda
Janesville CA
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2008 :  6:27:35 PM  Show Profile
I have not been crafting much at all lately (for various reasons), but that has not stopped me from buying crafting stuff. :)

It is an addiction. :)

~Rhonda
Go to Top of Page

dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2008 :  8:06:45 PM  Show Profile
My craft stash got a bit smaller today. I found some cute halloween fabric I had and I sewed up a vest with it. I also showed great restraint. I got a 40% off coupon for both Michael's and Hobby Lobby and have not used either one of them!

Diana
Farmgirl Sister #272
St. Peters MO
Country Girl trapped in the city!

http://farmgirldreams.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

tribalcime
True Blue Farmgirl

2963 Posts

lisa
lexington ky
USA
2963 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2008 :  03:46:55 AM  Show Profile
I hadnt been over here for a bit and just saw the post :) I hate to admit it . I am a craft stasher too . I also have been craft fasting --sorta. I have been doing some local bartering to get the things I am needing for projects right now. I did spend last 2 weeks organizing fabric scraps and finishing up alot of old projects. Some were from several years ago . Most I ended up giving away at the local drum circle.Was fun to give them to guys to take home to thier wives -- who were totally surprised to get them.Most the drum circle are men. At this Sun drum circle the guys said their wives were do happy they brought thema gift home. I had taken several shawls and some crocheted purses and hats down to give away. I am working part time for a home health agency now and they let you take your crafting or reading or whatever to work with you. It is nice to be able to do that. I dont hoard as much yarn and fabric anymore. Mine is beads . They are just so pretty and sparkly!! I must have them. I have to go buy some lobster claw clasps today a Micheals. It will be hard to walk past all the beads to get to them . The "12 steps" are a hoot you all posted.

LIfe is a witch ~~~ and then ya fly !! My blogspot .http://tribalwitch.blogspot.com/ and my barter blog is at www.bartertribalwitch.blogspot.com

Edited by - tribalcime on Oct 21 2008 03:50:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2008 :  03:49:34 AM  Show Profile
Radical thought this morning ladies... sorry, the train woke me up at 3-ish and my headache kept me awake. Strangely enough, sometimes that's when I do my most creative thinking - must be because the 2 kiddos aren't fighting in the background...

So, here's my radical thought. Would anyone be interested in doing a real craft fast? I could make a new post with some guidelines (perhaps a spending limit on "supplemental" supplies to fix our tools or finish a project, books, etc.), our 12 steps and our prayer. We could really be a support group for each other that way. We could even track the number of days without spending $$$ on craft supplies. Anyone else's ideas would be greatly appreciated on this as well.

Like I said it's just a thought. You can call me crazy - I've been called worse.

Ann in Oswego

Go to Top of Page

dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2008 :  05:26:43 AM  Show Profile
We can call our group the Craftaholics, and also give out chips for 30,60,90 days, etc of being 'craftstashing sober'. Okay, so I'm still on my first cup of coffee here...LOL!

Diana
Farmgirl Sister #272
St. Peters MO

Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2008 :  06:48:01 AM  Show Profile
I love the chips idea - very good for only 1 cup of coffee!

Here are some ideas I had for guidelines (these were without ANY coffee so bear with me please):

No new purchases/barters/freecycles of any craft supplies EXCEPT:
1)new needles for sewing machines, parts for spinning wheels, correct hook/needle size for pattern (although borrowing from a sister/neighbor would be highly encouraged), batting to finish a quilting project, new blades for rotary cutters, adhesives for scrapbooking/papercrafting, etc. You have to be able to have your equipment in good working order to do your craft, right?
2)more thread/yarn/fleece/fabric/paper to finish a UFO project (new purchase/barter/freecycle cannot constitute more than half the materials for the project)
3)more thread/yarn/fleece/fabric/paper to start a new project (new purchase/barter/freecycle cannot constitute more than half the materials for the project)
4)Bartering and freecycling are highly encouraged but only to finish a project (perhaps you could barter a finished project in exchange for some of the supplies?) - no stash building. SWAP participation is also encouraged for elimination purposes, but again no stash building. Also, if you need a certain type of supply, a post here (to help the rest of us clear our stashes) would be very welcome.
5)And then there's the issue of patterns... Well, I guess it would be ok with me if you bought a book for patterns to use up your stash (hey, I asked for a bunch for Christmas), but I'm thinking there would have to be some type of agreement that you'd use at least a certain # of patterns in the book and buy it on sale/with a coupon or barter/freecycle. Does that seem fair? There are so many free patterns online now. I have to admit, I stash craft books, especially Christmas craft books (and guess who just bought Martha Stewart's Christmas craft mag yesterday?!). I'd have to live to be 150 years old to use them all, but I do read them and use them for ideas for other times of the year (and the kids like them, too). Besides, if you develop the "courage to use your materials in new and exciting ways", you need the new and exciting ways!

Does this make sense to everyone? I'll gladly make the 30, 60 & 90 day chips (hey, a great excuse to use up my papercrafting supplies!) and when folks reach those milestones, they can email me their addy.

Let me know what ya think...

Ann in Oswego

Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2008 :  06:58:54 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
OMG I'm overwhelmed!
I think I'll just promise to use what I have or finish what I've started for now.
Bartering something we have isn't buying..it's just trading...feels like buying new.

Linda in Scranton, PA
farmgirl #71
Go to Top of Page

dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2008 :  07:21:55 AM  Show Profile
Freecycle and garage sales have been a major contributor to my yarn and fabric stash. If I see either I pounce on it faster than a cat on a mouse! And that my dear craftstashers is why I have a whole walk in closet full of yarn and fabric. (See Step 5 of our 12 steps. LOL)

Diana
Farmgirl Sister #272
St. Peters MO

Go to Top of Page

tribalcime
True Blue Farmgirl

2963 Posts

lisa
lexington ky
USA
2963 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2008 :  07:22:39 AM  Show Profile
heheh--I would have to pass :P I couldnt make it more than a few days since I barter so much . Good Luck!!!

LIfe is a witch ~~~ and then ya fly !! My blogspot .http://tribalwitch.blogspot.com/ and my barter blog is at www.bartertribalwitch.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2008 :  07:33:07 AM  Show Profile
Ann, I love you, but you are nuts!!! Just kidding! Seriously though it might be a good idea! I know a lot of us have a huge stash of various craft supplies and in the end, to be able to clear things out would probably be a really good thing! I think bartering should be allowed though because if you are trading then you are not just adding to what you already have!

Count me in!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2008 :  08:41:24 AM  Show Profile
Bartering is allowed - if you will use what you barter for "4)Bartering and freecycling are highly encouraged but only to finish a project". If not, then let someone else who will use it barter for it (or someone who is in denial about being a stashaholic).

Ann in Oswego

Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2008 :  10:33:47 AM  Show Profile
Hey ladies - just posted the Stashaholics Anonymous stuff! I hope I didn't offend anyone with the bartering stuff - I think it was just a misunderstanding, and I'm sorry. You are all my sisters! xoxo

Ann in Oswego

Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2008 :  4:05:48 PM  Show Profile
Well, I guess this is my patriotic duty to call attention to the big picture...at least my opinion anyway..DISCLAIMER: please remember this is MY opinion and not intended to represent anyone elses opinion.

No craft fasting here..I've been collecting vintage fabric, patterns and books for going on 12 years now..in addition to that I crochet so therefore I have loads of very nice yarn that brings me great pleasure to work with and to those that receive finished items or the stash for them to make stuff....if anything, I need to insure my stash..LOL

In the case of my death....I have a list of ladies that will be notified about the part of my stash that is now theirs if they are still alive and kicking! I aim to keep the cycle going. :0)

For now though, I will continue to make my contribution of cash (however big or small) to my local retailers because if every crafter quit buying... the businesses cash flow would stop and they'd go out of business...We MUST not let that happen ladies...yes, times are tougher right now but no I do not believe that now is the time to continue to NOT spend our money...The economy just keeps squeaking due to the numbers that have quit spending...in many ways we are feeding our own downfall by NOT spending..Cash flow makes this country run smoothly...(like the old saying, "Money makes the world go round")..we must move forward and support our big and small business owners in this great country and all of the great individuals that have cottage industry businesses.

Happy Creating to you!!

Stephanie
www.queenofdreamsz.blogspot.com ~~~Crochet, Sewing, Life Collections & Recollections Blog
www.dreamkingdomdesigns.blogspot.com Vintage & Modern Fabric, Fiber & Yarn Blog
www.dreamkingdomdesigns.com ~~~~~Go Shopping at my Website Catalog!!
Go to Top of Page

Sage
True Blue Farmgirl

207 Posts

Pam
Worland Wyoming
USA
207 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2008 :  4:42:28 PM  Show Profile
Hi, my name is Sage and I'm a Stashaholic. This topic is too funny but i have to say for myself, I vow to never quit because it keeps me sane (at least I think so), it supports the economy, and (LOL) where else would my daughters and my artist friends go when they need something to finish a project. I say go Farmgirls - keep on creating it makes the world a better place. Sage :)

Farmgirl sister #140
www.heritagedesigns.etsy.com

Edited by - Sage on Oct 21 2008 5:01:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2008 :  6:18:08 PM  Show Profile
You girls are quite funny, but I am afraid I am in Steph's category, I will spend when I can for things that I need or sometimes get and don't know why.

Now you certainly may laugh at me, but there are times I have bought a piece of fabric and know that it wasn't for me. So I wait and wait and wait until the rightful owner comes, and laugh if you must, because I sure do. The owners do show up, done a few others things of buying and had absolutely no idea why, and along comes the owner. One of them happened to be what I considered a purse or maybe for crocheting. I was using it and a gal came over from church. She started crying, her grandmother had one exactly like that and had passed recently. Nope, wasn't mine. Have all kinds of funny stories like that, so there at times that one buys and has no idea why. That would be the me catergory.

Hey farmgals, do what best suits you and your needs for now. For some that is decluttering and taking an honest look, for others that is buying somemore, for others it is a mix of doing both. I periodically go through the quilt stash and do some rethinking. It is fun and for me, there is Vanessa Beehan Nursery where the material I donate goes into quilts for babies and children who need an uplift, check out the organizations around you and see what needs they have. It just might surprize you.

Saluting those craft and fabric aholics, march on girls, march on....lol

Farmgirl #39
www.Quitemoments.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Craft-Fasting Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page