Page: of 3

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2008 :  6:27:52 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
When my Danny boy was in the hospital last May, he came home with a homemade (machine quilted) quilt in bright kid's colors. It had a little tag saying it is donated with love from ladies in a church. It was about crib size so small but not too small for him to enjoy. It's great to have something homemade from a stranger, but with love. I said a prayer of thanks for those ladies who made it.
Linda

Linda in Scranton, PA
farmgirl #71
Yes! I live in the Scranton, PA "The Office" TV show is based on! LOL LOL

Edited by - yarnmamma on Oct 21 2008 6:32:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2008 :  6:28:54 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
So I think the original idea here is to finish up what we have for awhile instead of buy new supplies. That's simple.

Linda in Scranton, PA
farmgirl #71
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2008 :  7:26:41 PM  Show Profile
oh paleesz....someone bring some bars or something to keep me from leaving my house..well, on second thought, someone better remove my internet service since I buy online so much..LOL

Anyone that can master using ALL of your present fabric and yarn stash before buying more I SALUTE!! Please stand as I hand you a metal of honor for restraint.

You girls have great courage...I have to admire that.

Stephanie
www.queenofdreamsz.blogspot.com ~~~Crochet, Sewing, Life Collections & Recollections Blog
www.dreamkingdomdesigns.blogspot.com Vintage & Modern Fabric, Fiber & Yarn Blog
www.dreamkingdomdesigns.com ~~~~~Go Shopping at my Website Catalog!!
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2008 :  04:46:01 AM  Show Profile
I agree that money does make the world go round, especially for small local businesses. We should support them whenever we can! There is nothing here that suggests not buying anything ever again - it's limiting our spending to only those items that we need to finish our projects. I am a stay at home mom with a husband in the financial services industry. Any day now, because of the economy the way it is, he could come home early some afternoon, and not have a job to return to. There are many other folks in our area in the same boat. You have to have the $$$ to spend it, and right now, we are saving every penny any way we can. I'd rather spend the little extra on food from the few remaining local farmers than splurge on yarn that I then have to buy (yet another) storage box for, only to have it sit in my craft room for years before it gets used (if it gets used at all).

Ann in Oswego

Times may be tough, but farmgirls are tougher!

Craft Fasting since October 21, 2008
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2008 :  04:51:25 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
lol Steph you are funny. Made me smile! I wish there were small local businesses here for crafts. I live in the city of Scranton and still all we have for fabric is Joanne's.
There's Walmart for yarn but not fabric now.

Linda in Scranton, PA
farmgirl #71
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2008 :  04:54:41 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
I think this topic is more about working on UFOs for a while (not forever) before starting new projects that need new purchases. I like the concept and it is encouraging for me. There is a good feeling for me from making do and using what I have...even repurposing is a good feeling and can require no spending.

Linda in Scranton, PA
farmgirl #71
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2008 :  04:58:30 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
I do have to say that making light of what saves the lives of alcoholics is not my style. The spiritual experience in 12 steps means the difference of keeping love of family, staying out of jail and also not dying from drugs or alcohol. I love my farmgirl sisters and just wanted to mention my experience, strength and hope.

Linda in Scranton, PA
farmgirl #71
Go to Top of Page

Tammy Claxton
True Blue Farmgirl

1559 Posts

Tammy
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
1559 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2008 :  05:15:30 AM  Show Profile  Send Tammy Claxton an AOL message
I haven't bought any new craft stuff in 2 weeks! That's a stretch for me. I've even been to the craft store, but I look at the stuff and it seems like I have it already! lol My craft room if packed, so is the cabinet in my living room and the cabinet in my dining room. So I guess I can safely say that as of right now I am craft fasting too :)

Crafty Bay Farmgirl Chapter

"What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger"

Farmgirl #152

http://countryintheburbs.blogspot.com/

http://bigdogmom130.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2008 :  05:34:44 AM  Show Profile
Tammy, if you can make it 2 more weeks, I'll send you a 30-day button. Good for you! Let us know how you do!

Linda, no one intentionally was making light of the work that alcoholics anonymous does. We were just trying to give ourselves a model to work on for our own lives. The fact that it made a few people smile in the process, in my book, is a good thing. It's a bit easier to swallow the bitter pill of reality when it's mixed with a little humor, and the laughs were directed at ourselves, not the program.

I'm glad that a 12-step program helped you (and the millions of others, too). I have a history of alcoholism in my family (won't touch the stuff myself), and have been through the ACOA program myself. Maybe that's why I realized that my craft-stash had become an addiction of sorts...

Ann in Oswego

Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2008 :  08:08:56 AM  Show Profile
Hey Ann, totally understand....your husband, my husband, anyone's husband is liable to walk in without a job on any given day. Mine has aready retired once and is now working towards a second retirement..We are probably better prepared than some and I'm thankful for that. However, I do understand what you are up against....been there!

Anyhow I do view this forum as a fun place to talk and laugh..nothing serious if I can help it (already to much of that to deal as part of life)...LOL Good luck with your little system. Looks like you girls will enjoy it.

Happy Crafting...

Stephanie
www.queenofdreamsz.blogspot.com ~~~Crochet, Sewing, Life Collections & Recollections Blog
www.dreamkingdomdesigns.blogspot.com Vintage & Modern Fabric, Fiber & Yarn Blog
www.dreamkingdomdesigns.com ~~~~~Go Shopping at my Website Catalog!!
Go to Top of Page

Tammy Claxton
True Blue Farmgirl

1559 Posts

Tammy
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
1559 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2008 :  7:43:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Tammy Claxton an AOL message
I will definitely keep you posted Ann - i have been using my stash on Halloween crafts,and I have to admit that it's fun trying to create with things that I already have :) Keep the brain juices flowing...lol

Crafty Bay Farmgirl Chapter

"What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger"

Farmgirl #152

http://countryintheburbs.blogspot.com/

http://bigdogmom130.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2008 :  7:49:08 PM  Show Profile
Go Tammy Go!

On an earlier note, DH's bank got bought out today. Now that may sound scary, we don't know for sure he'll have a job to come home to when he gets back from Germany, but this action today is really an answered prayer for us and we are taking it as a HUGE blessing! When DH's Friend called, I actually shouted and danced for joy. I almost cried. Thanks, God, and thanks sisters!

Ann in Oswego

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2008 :  9:31:48 PM  Show Profile
Ann, I will be praying all goes well with your husband's job!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2008 :  02:10:31 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Monica! Like I said, this is a real blessing for us. When DH started at that bank almost 11 years ago, they were literally bought out that same day. He signed up on Friday, and went to work for a completely different company on Monday without even knowing it. Ever since then, there seems to have been a buyout rumor every few months or so. We have always been hoping for Wells Fargo because that may have gotten us the move west we've been looking for. But the past few years have been very hard (the fact that these gurus are finally catching on to the recession when in our area things have been slowing down for more than two straight quarters - DUH!), especially since DH has lots of retired folks for clients. He cares about them, and they are all so nice. It's wearing on him, so the opportunity for something new, whether it's going back to being self-employed, or working for the new bank, well, that's a HUGE blessing to us, and relief as well - no more buyout rumors for a long time now. Nobody else has any money!

Ann in Oswego

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2008 :  09:14:57 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
This is an awesome topic! I am a beginning craft-a-holic and I seriously need a craft-fast for about another month or two. I won't use up what I have in that time- not by a long shot, but I need to finish up my UFOs!! I also have those wonderful fabrics that were bought or a specific purpose just begging to be used!

Anyone find a fabric that they love so much, you can't hardly bring yourself to cut into it? I have a couple of yards of fabric that I adore that I am scared to use up!! LOL

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2008 :  09:51:39 AM  Show Profile
Alee, My mother-in-law introduced me to this older lady Gladys and she was exactly me only 50 years older! Gladys gave me some wonderful vintage pieces including some that had belonged to her mom! She passed away a few years ago and I don't know if I will ever use them. I am sure I will never get rid of them because not only are they beautiful, but they are also very sentimental!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2008 :  1:14:20 PM  Show Profile
Alee, I still have a half yard of fabric I bought on our honeymoon - and that was 15 years ago. It's black with neon colored cacti on it. We bought it in Santa Fe, NM. No matter how much stash leaves, that piece stays.

Ann in Oswego

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Craft-Fasting Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page