soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2008 :  07:36:16 AM  Show Profile
This morning when I talked to my sister the scrapbooker, we were talking about how I am trying to not spend any $$$ on any new craft supplies of any kind. I have more than enough to choke a whole team of horses, and I'm trying to use up what I have. She said in her scrapbook world, they call that scrapfasting - where you only are allowed to spend $$ on adhesives.

Is anyone else out there craftfasting like I am? What are some of the ways you are cleaning out your stashes - using it up, making it do or doing without?

italianchildhood
True Blue Farmgirl

172 Posts

172 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2008 :  07:52:18 AM  Show Profile
I am doing that with crochet thread!
Definitely have enough to last me a LOOOOOOOOOOONG time... :)

----------------------
http://YouCraft.org ... free crafts classifieds listings

and http://italianchildhood.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

whiteraven
True Blue Farmgirl

134 Posts

Christa
Kansas City MO
USA
134 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2008 :  07:55:31 AM  Show Profile
I am only with fabric! And now I have a name to go along with my misery! I am tryinkg to catch up on my UFOs before I start any more and its hard.

whiteraven

farmgirl Sister #320

Life is what you make it!
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2008 :  07:59:58 AM  Show Profile
I'm going to have to do that with everything, especially craft books. I need to use up the things I have here because I have a ton.
Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2008 :  08:00:23 AM  Show Profile
I hear ya! Yesterday, I made a small (7") doily as a thank-you gift for my hairdresser. She has done my hair 1830's style for several events in our town this year, and the last appt I had with her was 8 am on a Sunday. I wanted something special, and only homemade and handmade would do. I'm also a fabricaholic, a yarn addict, and a paper fiend (although I didn't realize this last one til lately). I am participating in a few swaps on this site to help use up what I have - it gives me a great excuse.

Ann in Oswego

Times may be tough, but farmgirls are tougher!
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2008 :  08:07:39 AM  Show Profile
Ann, I am not sure if this post is enabling or not--I knit and sew a lot. I too have an issue with wanting a new pattern, a new fabric, a new gadget for my crafts and it's my only "vice" and it's fairly wholesome so I don't feel too guilty about it, but when my studio closet starts getting to the point of ridiculous (like it will take me 5 years of everyday crafting to empty it) and my wallet is thin I reel myself in. I'm in that mode now and thank goodness I have a whole family to make Christmas presents for and that's what I'm doing is organizing what I have on-hand with patterns and ideas (again, from what I already have) into specific "kits" for each person's gift. I put each kit into a basket or stack on my sewing table and I'm working my way through them. I took some of my stash of fabric and tried one of MJ's rag rugs and used up a lot. I find that when I am short on cash, I always have my stash to turn to and still be able to create, so I don't feel like I'm depriving my creativity. My little room of projects keeps me sane when life gets crazy, ya know? In my quest to simplify my life, I find my "craft life" to be the most difficult to simplify...I want to make everything for gifts instead of buying (yes, seems simpler), but I have to have the ingredients on hand to do so, so I either need to have a stash of some sort or buy the stuff or rethink what I'm making to fit into what I have on hand. I find I will buy up stuff for a while, always stuff on sale...then I "fast" on the buying but go crazy creating. It's like being on a rollercoaster...up and down.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2008 :  08:33:09 AM  Show Profile
I have stuff in my stashes that I picked up for a particular project, and if I didn't make that particular project right away(or changed my mind), the stuff just sits. Then of course, there's the time issue. My husband reminds me constantly that there are not 40 hours in a day (don't I wish!). Like I said, I have enough on hand to choke a team of horses. Not sure how long I will craftfast, but I remember after my mom died hauling out all of her craft stuff that she thought she'd get to "someday". I can't do that to my kids! It's time to start working my way through...

Ann in Oswego

Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2008 :  08:55:09 AM  Show Profile
Oh me too. I feel like stashing is like preserving food....have it for the leaner months. If it's all taken to the dump when I die..so be it. It brought me pleasure (and hopefully others by the things I've made for them) and I don't expect anyone else to understand it or take my stash on as a project after I'm through with it.

I think we should start a stash support group..... I probably need one but I wouldn't attend the meetings out of shame of my latest "binge."

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266

Edited by - Jami on Oct 17 2008 08:55:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2008 :  08:57:20 AM  Show Profile
We could call it stashaholics anonymous!

Ann in Oswego

Go to Top of Page

prairielandherbs
True Blue Farmgirl

690 Posts

Maggie
Iowa
USA
690 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2008 :  09:29:53 AM  Show Profile
I got alot of yarn stashed up when i started knitting....then i started spinning, and find that my commercial yarn just sorta sits there! I'm working my way through it to use for gifts. I do have quite a large fiber stash.....but most of that i bartered for, so I don't feeel *too* bad about it. I'm getting into sewing, and trying not to accumulate a large hoard of fabric - i really do find it more fun and a creative challenge to use what i have instead of buying too much more....of ANYTHING. :)

great thread!
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2008 :  09:33:07 AM  Show Profile
Hi, my name is Marian and I am a stash-a-holic :)

I have many many yarns, lot's of fabric, many many magazines and still am always on the lookout for more.

I am trying to craft-fast too, lol.
Too many stuff and not enough time to make things

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

http://princess-of-pink-creations.blogspot.com/
my new BLOG.
I have added "new" creations, take a look :)
And also some pictures of my village, come for a visit
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2008 :  09:40:21 AM  Show Profile
Oh my gosh I could easily join stashaholics anonymous!!!. My hubby is replacing some wiring in the front room and I have to move some of my fabric that is in the way, which means I have to relocate 11 large storage boxes of fabric and that doesn't count the fabric in my bedroom or the fabric in the hall cupboard!. I also have card making supplies, yarn and now wool and a spinning wheel being shipped today! I have come to the conclusion that I just love to create and my hubby does reap the benefits of my sewing! He has a quilted jacket, 2 dress shirts and even knitted wool socks so he bears with me pretty well! I could open a stocked craft store with all the stuff I have! Oh boy!!! I could probably not buy anything for a year besides thread and be fine! It won't happen, but I could!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2008 :  11:17:08 AM  Show Profile
Dutchy...you made me laugh.

Okay, girls, my name is Jami and I'm a stashaholic. I've been hoarding yarn, fleece, fiber, fabric, thread, patterns and the like for 30+ years. When I try to stop I have withdrawal symptoms. I've been in rehab multiple times and keep falling off the wagon. I am currently on the wagon again and will be too busy creating to attend meetings for the foreseeable future.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2008 :  11:27:57 AM  Show Profile
Too funny Dutchy! LOL!

Ann in Oswego

Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2008 :  1:32:00 PM  Show Profile
I know I definitely have a problem and am a stash a holic. I have a whole room which is the size of half of my house and it is full of my stash of fabrics, papers, yarns, ribbons, rubber stamps and much more.
Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2008 :  3:53:44 PM  Show Profile
Me too! Me too!

My name is Audrey and I'm a stash-aholic. I took the pledge about a 1 1/2 years ago and vowed not to buy any more fabric until I finish all my quilting and sewing UFO's. Things were going along swimmingly and I was slowly finishing some projects when what do I do? I take up knitting and until this post I didn't realize I'm hoarding yarn now! Aaackkkk!!!!!!!!!! It's hopeless!

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2008 :  4:15:46 PM  Show Profile
Yes it is a dangerous business to catch the crafting fever, I feel no cure is in sight, but I like the thought of craft fasting. I'm going to start right now (easy for me to say as I just got home with a little load of things to use when making cards) and try to stay on the fast for ever. HA! We can dream...

karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com

Edited by - electricdunce on Oct 18 2008 07:12:27 AM
Go to Top of Page

dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2008 :  4:21:16 PM  Show Profile
I'm Diana and I'm a Stashaholic.

I have enough yarn to open my own shop and it fills a walk in closet, along with its new best friend, fabric. I've also got several large bags of roving, a spinning wheel, soap and candle making supplies, embroidery and needlepoint kits, etc etc etc.

I know when I go to my great reward, my daughter will get all of my yarn since she's an avid knitter, so I keep telling myself I'm building her inheritence one skein at a time!

Diana
Farmgirl Sister #272
St. Peters MO
Country Girl trapped in the city!

http://farmgirldreams.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2008 :  5:08:10 PM  Show Profile
I'm Monica and I'm a Stashaholic.

Diane, I love the way you think! I have 2 girls so I need twice as much to leave for their inheritance!!!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2008 :  8:02:17 PM  Show Profile
ok ok I admit i am a stash a holic too... I decided a bit ago I could only buy things that helped me finish the projects that I have already started or to use up what I have. So,I have been pretty good for a while but BOY OH BOY is it ever hard!!!! I hope I get it down to a smaller amount before I die cause I know my kids aren't interested in it at all... I like this topic.

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2008 :  9:08:04 PM  Show Profile
oh my, a "support group" of women who understand the excess that has taken over my sewing room and costs me way too much each month for storage space.
No yarn, no crochet thread, no scrapbooking, but enough fabric to probaby circle the globe several times. Much of the fabric is in the form of silks/ party/prom/wedding dresses I've bought for a dollar for the fabric. Have a lady in Reno who is opening a store with gently used clothes of this type and just might be able to sell some to her. That would be so cool.
Ok, who's going to draft the 12 step program for this group? Should be interesting!
Happy hoarding from one to another.
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2008 :  9:33:49 PM  Show Profile
Ronna, I think we have established "Step 1" in admitting our addiction I must say that if any of the steps require getting rid of stash then I think I will have to drop out! I can make stuff and use it up, but I can't bring myself to just clear stuff out!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2008 :  06:36:20 AM  Show Profile
I don't really know the actual 12 steps of the "holics" creed, but I want to tell you I did a small purge yesterday--DD came by and wanted to "steal" some yarn (her words) for her Christmas projects on her little loom and I suggested she try bonafide knitting sometime so gave her 8 sets of yard sale needles and 2 sacks of leftover yarns plus 3 knitting books!! At first I was having a small panic attack at my "loss" (I could have made _______ or _________ with that yarn!) but then felt really freed up about it and felt I had purged something stressful from my craft life. And by the way...it's a big walk-in closet girls, not a regular closet. Welcome to SA Monica and Beverley and Diana and Audrey.

Let's see, 12 steps...Admit/Confess Addiction, Just Say No to new patterns/fabrics/yarns/papers, etc., Take Inventory, Organize, Purge, Share, Barter, Use it up, Make Do, Do Without, Improvise and best of all USE IT UP and start over again.

I know...I'm just an enabler.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2008 :  07:56:50 AM  Show Profile
Jami, It would be very hard for me to say no to any new fabric and now fiber especially considering my wheel is on it's way from Grace! I don't have a to hard of a time sharing or slowly using it up, but if I had to use it all p and start over it would be years before I would get fabric and I don't think I am strong enough to do that!!!!

Oh well, life is good!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2008 :  09:17:22 AM  Show Profile
Ok, here is my rendition of the Craft Stashers 12 Step Program:

Step 1 - We admitted we were powerless over our addiction - that our craft stash had become unmanageable.

Step 2 - We came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
Step 3 - Made a decision to turn our will and our craft stash over to the care of E-Bay,Etsy,Friends/Relatives, or Charity.

Step 4 - Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of our craft stash.

Step 5 - Admitted to ourselves and to our fellow craft stashers the exact nature of our wrongs.

Step 6 - Were entirely ready to remove all unused or surplus craft stash items.

Step 7 - Humbly asked fellow craft stashers to help us remove our excess craft stash.

Step 8 - Made a list of all our craft stash, and became willing to make them all smaller.

Step 9 - Made direct amends to the space we create by reducing our craft stash by not letting it overflow again.

Step 10 - Continue to take personal inventory of our craft stash and if we are tempted to buy more crafts,promptly admit it to another craft stasher so they can help us realize we don't need it.

Step 11 - Seek through conscious contact with fellow craft stashers, the knowledge of our will for each other and the power to carry our craft destashing out.

Step 12 - Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to other craft stash addicts, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.

Diana
Farmgirl Sister #272
St. Peters MO
Country Girl trapped in the city!

http://farmgirldreams.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2008 :  3:37:03 PM  Show Profile
OMG Diana I laughed until I almost cried! This was AWESOME! I have to confess I made some purchases today, but they were some papers I needed to finish up some other projects (they were all on clearance, by the way) that I'm doing for two swaps, and also supplies for my cub scout guys to do a project in December. I think we will have to start another post called stashaholics anonoymous with Diana's fantastic 12 steps!

Ann in Oswego

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Craft-Fasting Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page