Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Trumpet Plant Next Topic  

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  1:21:21 PM  Show Profile
This is a first year plant and it is like a tree! Beautiful! Take a look on my blog to see it. I planted it in the ground but now wonder if it will "last" outside? Oh well....too late now! It is so Big there is no way I am digging it up and bringing it in for the winter anyway. I guess if it doesn't "make it" I can buy another one next year and I will start it out in a BIG planter with wheels! LOL! Does anyone know? Do any of you gals have this plant?

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226

www.farmgirlsam.blogspot.com

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  2:08:47 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Sam, my dad had a trumpet plant. His was a bit bushier and the trumpets were white but it was beautiful like yours. I'm trying to remember if he had it for more than one year and I believe he did and didn't dig it up. I think he just mulched it really good in the fall. You're further south than we are (zone 5) so I'm thinking a good cover in the fall just might get it through. Like you said, too late now to bring it in! Best wishes - it's a beauty.

God bless -
Karen ~ Chickherder & Farmgirl Sister #311
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  6:56:41 PM  Show Profile
My father has a trumpet plant too, but here southwest of Chicago, it is more of a vine. My dad digs his up in our zone 5 area & brings it in for the winter. I don't know what zone you are in, but I think it is considered a tropical plant. I think they are beautiful, hope yours makes it.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  7:21:02 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I had one growing in my house for a long time. They are beautiful plants, however the seeds are poison, so be forewarned. They are in or related to the Datura family. Ours grew quickly as well, and the buds form and open very quickly. You can almost watch them grow!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2008 :  04:42:19 AM  Show Profile
The botanical name for this trumpet (commonly known as Angel Trumpet) plant is Brugmansia. This is from the Brugmansia & Datura Society's site:

"Brugmansia is native to South America, particularly the Andes,
where they grow on sloping terrain under damp conditions.

"Brugmansia love humid, warm days, and cool nights.
80-85 for daytime highs and no less than 40 degree nights would
be the perfect environment for Brugmansia. Unfortunately
this perfect environment is not likely in much of the U.S..
Fortunately MOST Brugmansia do survive higher temps (100+),
and ALL survive lower temps.
Fortunately ALL Brugmansia is easily wintered inside.

"Brugmansia is a long lived perennial in zone 9 and warmer and can grow to become a small tree to 35' tall, 6'-15' tall when grown in containers.
Brugmansia will survive zone 8 winters "if the roots do not freeze" and they’ve even survived zone 7 winters. Repeated ground freezes, year after year, will eventually weaken and kill the plant."

I don't think you're in zone 7, are you? Like Karen in MO said, you could try applying a thick layer of mulch around the plant to keep the roots from freezing. (I would think you'd need to prune it down to the ground in the spring.) Otherwise replant it in a pot and winter it inside . . . or just start over next year in the pot.

A beautiful plant. So exotic.

www.youaretoocreative.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2008 :  06:05:06 AM  Show Profile
I had one in a pot in the house and it died the first winter because I had it in the kitchen and the kitchen was apparently too cold for it.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2008 :  07:19:11 AM  Show Profile
We call them trumpet vines here and they are just beautiful growing over old sheds, around barns, etc.
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2008 :  07:25:54 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Katie-ell, good point about the pruning. I do believe my dad did that too. They are absolutely beautiful when they're blooming.

God bless -
Karen ~ Chickherder & Farmgirl Sister #311
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2008 :  10:51:59 AM  Show Profile
Sandra, luv your trumpet plant. we call them Angel's Trumpet.
They grow wonderful in California but I have not seen them up here in Washington, but then I am still trying to get use to the Short gardening season up here.
If I recall, I think the Angel's Trumpet is toxic for animals & humans...but not sure.
Oh & I have seen them in white too!
Enjoy your lovely plant.
hugz

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
mjf#72
Sisters on the Fly#472
www.katmom4.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

poole3
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Celina
CA
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2008 :  8:34:40 PM  Show Profile
I don't have a full beautiful tree yet, but I am growing a few cuttings. They are doing well just sitting in water!
Go to Top of Page

DairySue
True Blue Farmgirl

67 Posts

Sue
Connecticut
67 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2008 :  8:44:35 PM  Show Profile
Your yellow trumpet plant is gorgeous Sandra. I have always wanted to try to grow one. Maybe next year. I am beginning to grow more tropical plants on my patio. Thr trumpet plant will fit right in.

Sue in CT
http://frumsglassmenagerie.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Trumpet Plant Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page