Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 The Secret Life of -Farm Girl - Bee Keepers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic The Secret Life of -Farm Girl - Bee Keepers Next Topic
Page: of 3

vtharvestfolkart
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

doreen
West Pawlet VT
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2006 :  07:58:27 AM  Show Profile  Send vtharvestfolkart an AOL message
Hello Carla. I myself am getting ready to take up beekeeping. wanted to get started for this summer....but...it didn't happen. I guess i will have to wait until next summer. everything happens for a reason in my eyes. this will give me time for more research. Take care and best of luck. doreen

Please take a look at my folk art. http://www.crowsoup.com/Market1137.php

"IT'S GOOD TO HAVE AN END TO JOURNEY TOWARDS....BUT IT'S THE JOURNEY THAT MATTERS IN THE END"
Go to Top of Page

almostidaho
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Tami
Richmond Utah
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2006 :  10:23:06 AM  Show Profile
Nice to see all the other beekeepers out there. I've a few thoughts to add.

About "The Secret Life of Bees:"
Everyone raves about this book. Honestly, it let me down. I felt it was a terribly formulaic 'Women's Book' with all the stock characters and plot devices publishers use to target middleaged women like me. I don't like to be a 'target,' thank you very much. There were even a few bee facts the author included which didn't coincide with my experiences. But since beekeeping is one of those endeavors which is very adaptable to place and climate, I just figured we had had different experiences in beekeeping.

I found Sue Hubbell's "A Book of Bees" to be far better written and satisfying. I've just checked my bookshelf and discovered it's gone - whoever borrowed it must have liked it enough to keep it! Better buy another copy to pass around.

About mites and other nasties which threaten bees:
We're discovering that the greatest threat to our bees is the deadly species H. sapiens. For example, in just ONE WEEK (last Friday thru last night), three of our four property borders have been blasted with insecticides on three separate occasions!! Two have been our county mosquito abatement fogging trucks and one was our neighbors spraying an adjacent field for weevils. None had warned us about their intentions, and, in the case of the county, we have repeatedly requested that they not fog us, both verbally and in writing. AARGH! At least our neighbors gave us heartfelt apologies when we let them know what was going on.

We have also just found out that our other apiary, in another town, is now getting fogged. We suspect that the county has ignored our requests for that area too. It's heartbreaking because we've used this isolated apiary to bring along a hive for the past three years completely untreated with chemicals and antibiotics to see if we can develop a group of bees adapted to local conditions and naturally resistant to mites and foulbrood. This incredible hive even survived nearly being ripped apart this past winter by animals!

My husband and I are so furious with these local boneheads we've agreed that if anything happens to our hives (like dying in the midst of what's been an excellent season so far), we're prepared to take legal action. We don't have any extra money by any means for a step like this, but we've decided it's our line in the sand, so to speak.

So as not to end on a downer, here's some good news from our bees. We were curious to see how our girls had fared in the chemical onslaught, so last night we suited up and visited the three hives in our backyard. The New World Carniolans have dramatically boosted their population in the past month as well as nearly filled one honey super already. We added another honey super. Our new Italian package has also taken off, so we gave them a super loaded up with Ross Rounds cassettes (I'd love to hear of anyone's experiences with those things). Then the split we made last month with a Buckfast queen looks like something out of a beekeeping textbook! We gave them another deep super so they'll have lots of room to expand. We also had planted half our garden with a green manure of buckwheat. It's about to bloom, so we're excited to see what honey we get from that.

With sweet thoughts,
Tami
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Across the Fence: Previous Topic The Secret Life of -Farm Girl - Bee Keepers Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page