Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Pear recipes Next Topic  

chickenmom
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Toni
Tucumcari NM
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  7:01:51 PM  Show Profile  Click to see chickenmom's MSN Messenger address
Hello all! I've been given several pounds of free fresh pears and am not sure what to do with them. What are your favorite ways to use pears. I'd like to can them or make preserves or something. I know you girls will have the best ideas. I was also given 3 bushels of apples this year (what a blessing!!) I've made applesauce so far, and over the next couple of days hope to can some apple pie filling (since my freezer is too full to freeze pies) and apple butter. Any ideas will be great. Have a wonderful fall evening!!
Toni

Hanalu
True Blue Farmgirl

123 Posts

Hana
Redwood City California
USA
123 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  11:00:04 PM  Show Profile
I just poached 90 pears today....its real easy, tasty and can be eaten with tons of things. I bet you could can them too, but I never have.
For poaching liquid take equal parts water, white wine, port, sugar and put in a large pot. Add oranges, lemons, cinnamon sticks, cloves, nutmeg and a pinch of salt. Peel pears and add to liquid. Then gently poach until they are tender(today I didn't want to have red pears so I substituted orange juice for the port...or you could do two parts port if you wanted really red pears...I'm sure that you could poach without the alcohol to cut down on the cost!).
The pears can be stored in their cooled poaching liquid...which also makes a great sauce.
Tomorrow I will be serving the pears I made today with vanilla ice cream a almond biscotti. If I have extra I am going to cut them up and bake them into gingerbread or pumpkin bread!
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  06:39:36 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Yum that sounds so good. I'll have to try that.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Pear recipes Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page