Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Sometimes I just wanna give up...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Sometimes I just wanna give up... Next Topic  

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2008 :  4:29:23 PM  Show Profile
And sometimes I just want to kick a goat across the yard or ring a chickens neck. I swear if someone comes by and says what a cute little goat or how sweet is that cow, I'd just let them have every animal on this whole place! When I can't even walk to the goat feeder without 3 goats and 4 ducks and 15 chickens and who knows how many guineas are all over me, I just want to SCREAM!!! I actually do have to kick goats out of the way sometimes.

And when I have to run fast to beat the calves to the barn and fight them off me before they knock ME down, that's pretty bad.

I don't know what's wrong with me the last few days (PMS, old timers) but I feel overwhelmed sometimes with all that needs to be done around here all the time. And I don't know if it's just the same ole thing routine every day. But I think I need to get away from all this for a few days. Just go away.

I've got the calves weaned, I've gone to OAD milking so it should be easier to find someone to stay here and farm for me. I'm gonna start looking.

I was fine today until I got back home from being in town. The minute I drive up to the house, you'd think every animal on this property was about to fall over dead from starvation or worse, deprvation and neglect. Oh, what a life!!

Anyway, sorry for sounding so morbid and depressing, but it's just been "one of those days".

Kris

( I'm sure I'll love them all again tomorrow)

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2008 :  5:27:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hey Kris- I know how overwhelming it can get! It's like having a pack of toddlers running around sometimes isn't it? Somedays you just need a vacation! *hugs*

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FannyMay
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Tara
Rosston Arkansas
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2008 :  9:27:33 PM  Show Profile
Maybe it is just in the air today, but I felt the same way today. we have got a lot going on right now. We have run out of money, need to buy feed, bush hog has died and need to mow "4 months ago"! Hubby's work has cut out overtime, My first year to home school, and it has started with a 13 & 11 year old. My 13 year old thinks that she is 30. Sometimes I think I am losing my mind!! My husband came home today and after he got a shower I told him lets just take ride. It rained and stormed last night we got 7 inches of rain. I thought we would go see any damage. He went through so many holes and mud pits and places that the road was litteraly washed away. I was already nervous when we left and all I could do was cry the whole time he was going through all of that mud and he was just a laughing. Needless to say I will never go riding around with him after we get 7 inches of rain.

Anyway I def understand. I am feeling very overwhelmed and very lonely right now. I know that this will not last and things will get better, but I guess today I was just feeling sorry for myself.

Thanks for letting me have a pitty party! It feels good just to let someone else know how I feel sometimes.

There is no other life for me, but farm life.
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2008 :  04:57:34 AM  Show Profile
When things get you down or you just want to throw in the towel, my momma always said to make chocolate chip cookies. It works every time! It sounds like both of you need a vacation to "just to nothing" today. I wish you both a big : )

Tina

You can tell your dog all of your secrets and they'll never say a word!
www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page

chickabella
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

D. A.
Austin... ish, Texas
177 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2008 :  06:00:24 AM  Show Profile
I hear you, and empathize! What gives me a recharge is letting the spouse take over the farm chores for a morning or afternoon, and sleeping/napping during that time. I only have chickens, geese and pups however; adding goats and cows to the mix would definitely be an additional stressor!

Farm blog: http://farmnatters.blogspot.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/dasparky
Heart of Texas Farmgirls Chapter; Farmgirl Sisterhood Member #275

Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2008 :  08:10:29 AM  Show Profile
Take a few moments to breathe in the air and enjoy some peace and quiet somewhere away from the hubbub and responsibilities. It's important to refresh the spirit. The cookie baking idea is great too but kick everyone outside so you have some time to yourself. Noise gets on my nerves too Kris, so I understand how it just puts you on edge.

Homeschooling teens -- similar to a root canal at the moment, huh? Ask for a recess for you and take a breather...and since your daughter thinks she's all grown up, maybe she can cook dinner for ya'll???
Hang in there girls.
Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2008 :  08:31:32 AM  Show Profile
Tara, you poor thing. 7 inches of rain! Wow. I would cry, too. It has rained here all night and is still raining a nice gentle drizzle. I am very thankful for this. The pigs are in hog heaven and so are the ducks. They are really the only ones that like to be in the rain. I don't like having to drag goats out of the barn to the milk room in the rain. But it has to be done.

Tina, I like the cookie idea. But don't have chocolate chips. I do have butterscotch, though and I found my recipe for the best apple cake in the world. I'm gonne make that later.

Chickabella, it's not like this all the time. I think I actually make things worse sometimes by letting it all get to me. And animals can sense it, believe me!

Alee, it is like a bunch of kids, for sure.

And Jami, I do need to remember to just soak it all in. I do love this place and it is so beautiful here. The fog is hanging on the mountain across the road and the birds are singing. Everything is coming back to life after so long with no rain. It's great.

Thanks for all the good vibes, ya'll. Kris
Go to Top of Page

peachy
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Melissa
Fennville MI
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2008 :  09:15:57 AM  Show Profile  Send peachy a Yahoo! Message
Hi Kris, I'm reading this a day late but I can sympathize with you! When I'm (stressed, PMS etc.) it seems every goat, chicken, cow, cat...you name it are under my skin! I've had this yesterday and today! Sometimes I just have ta jump in my truck and drive around the block a few times!!!

Acouple other weird things I do...today before feeding I went to my friends farm where I didn't "have" to work! I wandered around the pastures, played with the horses and picked raspberries and apples in the rain! Yes, soaking wet but it still just felt good!!! LOL (then I came home to the insanity of goat & cow cries & chickens runnin the roost!!! - the rain didn't feel so good anymore at this point!)

If you're a night owl (like me) - I drive out in the pasture after the kids are settled in bed, my horses are usually feeding and laying down and they're so use to headlights on them now I can curl right up on their backs and have a good talk (or a good cry!) With all this rain, it's been muddy as all get out and usually I end up rolling off and falling in it! (so much for my horse whispering skills!) That's gotta make you laugh alittle!

I hope you're having a better day today!!! Somedays ya just gotta vent and let it out!!!

Sending sunshine your way!!
Melissa
Farmgirl Sister #360

Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2008 :  09:26:38 AM  Show Profile
Awwww, I hope things look up for you soon. I've had moments when I've take out my rage trying to kick my chickens. Stupid things flapped away too quickly, though, and I just ended up doing a ridiculous dance, flailing my feet around. I don't feel too bad about it; the rest of the time I am quite balanced and my chickens have a better happier life then most. ;)

The Biz www.tvalahandmade.com
The Blog: http://blog.tvalahandmade.com/
The Bits www.happydalehobby.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2008 :  11:25:42 AM  Show Profile
Oh my GOSH!!! Was there some kind of conspiracy yesterday? Did the farm animals send out some kind of memo? Do they have their OWN secret internet we humans don't know about? After reading your post Kris, I had a total sense of Deja Vu!! FREAKY!!!

Yesterday was the "Barnyard day from HELL" for ME too!!!! I will spare you all the details, there's just not enough space to tell it here (I'm such a WINDBAG anyway!), but lets just say yesterday, chasing a STINKING billy goat that seems hell bent on impregnating the entire farm population (even the other BOYS!), I was cussing like a sailor, dirty, smelly, mad enough to spit nails and on the verge of HYSTERICAL tears!!!!! This has been an ongoing thing with that particular buck for the past week. No matter WHERE I put him, he finds his way out. Yesterday he let ALL the boys he "rooms" with out as well, making me that much madder since I had to round them all up too. I dread the coming Spring--who knows HOW many babies I'm going to end up with. And, with THREE bucks, who's the Daddy.....!!

For the record-- I have 19 Nigerian dwarf goats (maybe ONE LESS very soon!), 26 sheep, a GAZILLION chickens, 7 ducks, a goose, 4 horses, 5 dogs, 10 cats (one a "special needs" kitten) and a pot bellied pig that thinks she's a DIVA!! So I can wholeheartedly sypmathize Kris. Some days truly ARE overwhelming and it seems that when things go wrong, they go wrong in a HUGE way!!! Hang in there girl, and take that much needed vacation! ~~~ farmgirl hugs ~~~ Tracy
PS let me know where you're going. I just might JOIN YOU!!! (LOL)

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2008 :  12:43:46 PM  Show Profile
It's farm therapy...just like those quiet sweet moments you have on the farm, the frustrating times allow you the space and freedom to yell and cuss and kick at things without remorse! Remember old Gus from Lonesome Dove and how he liked to kick a pig now and then? Reminds me of your stories here.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2008 :  1:31:28 PM  Show Profile
Tracy, ha ha! 'ONE LESS' goat soon! That's hilarious. Those bucks sure do stink, don't they!

The Biz www.tvalahandmade.com
The Blog: http://blog.tvalahandmade.com/
The Bits www.happydalehobby.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2008 :  2:22:36 PM  Show Profile
We just have needy chickens.

Some days it's cute to be greeted by the masses. I have had a few days like yours too. Even with freeranging they still like their mash and act like they are on their last legs.

I loose my temper when they poop in their water and seem to wallow in their own filth.....especially after it has rained a ton.

I'll be getting into the practice of throwing shavings down on a more regular basis and try to stay ahead of the mess.

Depending on how close or far your neighbors are, a healthy curse word yelled at the top of your lungs is completely draining and makes you feel better a little.

Have some chocolate and a hug from cenrtal NC
Go to Top of Page

countrygal56
True Blue Farmgirl

221 Posts

Barbara
Dickson Tennessee
USA
221 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2008 :  4:03:18 PM  Show Profile
Whenever I take a walk around my property I usually have one dog, one cat, three kittens, and one small rooster following me. My husband says it looks comical.

I love it when I come outside in the morning and my chickens and roosters come running, nothing is as funny as running chickens. But when it's time to fed the kittens they are all over the place, it's a struggle to get the feed bowl on the porch floor, they are all over me. Plus when ever I do anything outside the kittens and my Seabright is right there to "help". Yet, I feel lucky to have crazy chickens, demanding cats, and bossy horses. Plus, one very needy female dog. But, I love them all.

Yes, if you are stressed do as Alee said. Chocolate cures everything!

Barb
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2008 :  5:08:27 PM  Show Profile
Tracy, that's the main reason I do not have a buck on my property. They are the stinkiest creature ever! But my 8 does make up for all the problems a buck would cause, anyway. You are sure right about a goat getting out of anywhere fast, especially if that is not where they want to be at the moment.

I toof my 16 mo. old to a friends house to breed her to her ugly buck while we sheared a ewe. She is my jumper. I have to keep things tied around her neck all the time to keep her from jumping the fences. She looks crazy. So we put her in with the buck and he's in this pen with 8' fence all around. We go to start shearing and I see something out of the corner of my eye and there she is. We put her back in and there she is a few minutes later. She never did get bred. Goats have a mind of their own.

The poop in the water is nasty, huh? I have 4 pigs and I have a little pool for them to get in when they get hot. Also have a big trough for drinking water. Not for pigs. They think everything is for them to swim in and they pee in it, too.

I have definetely let lose many a time here. And I have one neighbor across the road who seems to alway be outside when it happens. I think they think I'm a little whacko anyway, so whatever.

I had to do a little lovin' on my goats and calves tonight. They are so sweet sometimes and have the cutest personalities. Some of my does talk even talk to me. So a much better day today.

Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2008 :  6:48:36 PM  Show Profile
When I have a bad day with the animals I try to remember at least all my family is healthy and that is all that counts. when you think of how others are really struggling with a sick child or love one or problems seem so much less. I have 4 goats, 4chickens and 20 dogs so I every once in a while get over whelmed too, and a husband who really won't help with them cause they are my animals, as he says, so I am the only one for them . So , I try to remember why I got them in the first place and how I do really love them. and I do love each one of them for different reasons. Beverley

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

yarncrazy102
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Diane
Lewiston ID
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2008 :  7:24:16 PM  Show Profile
Oh Kris. I'm still pretty new here. Once I pick myself up off the floor, all I could think of was what memories . . . . Everything you've describe is very typical to farm critters. Being one who went from the big city (Cleveland, Bay Area, Puget Sound) to rural (Lewiston, ID), I quickly learned that you just roll with it and develop a sense of humour that carries you through the impossible. We retired to the "city" due to my husband's health but I miss our little farm. Infant animals in the kitchen, on my kitchen table, etc. Poop on the floor. I even took one lamb with me when I had to take a dog to the vet. Turkey chicks in my turkey roaster warming up because they got wet. Found out you can't use your better bath towels to cushion them. Turkey poop smell doesn't come out of towels. Castrating little bull calves with "that look" they have while you're doing it. Loading the pick-up to beyond capacity with manure from the stock auction yard to spread in the garden. That year, I canned 92 quarts of beets and over 150 quarts of tomato sauce just to mention a "few". Lambing in a pasture in the middle of the night in icey or wet March while someone stands by with a rifle watching for coyotes. Oh, the memories.

It will get better. You are the boss. Let those critters know it. Even without PMS, you can get overwhelmed but, if you let it get to you, you will be bouncing around the pasture singing "Old McDonald" before too long. Running away won't solve it. How can you run away? Who's going to take care of the critters? Can you delegate? Those critters know you are the feed bag. Have you ever watched puppies? When they are hungry, they will crowd each other out and bang their mom's snout. Why? They are waiting for her to bring up partially digested food for them to eat. It's, aaahhh, pretty much what's happening to you, girl. If the mom dog doesn't want to feed the pups, she gently snaps them off. The pups back off and mom can get some free time or a nap. Hope I didn't ramble too much. It was a most wonderful experience. Other than marrying my husband and having my daughter, living on our little farm was the best.

From Cleveland to Idaho - what a ride!
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  06:08:15 AM  Show Profile
Just from reading these posts, I'd say you're seriously overwhelmed. Living 'rough' is a lot of work. (When I say 'rough', I mean anything about 'going back to the land' or doing it manually) I used to have my training barn with 15 or so horses in it and loved it for years but then, one day, it was too much and I had a serious car wreck. I couldn't find anyone to do much help either.

Are you the type of person who always thinks they can add 'just one more thing' in to your life?? You have a spare minute and think you could just do 'something'?? Well, try to watch what your doing and then start taking small steps to get over that thinking and eliminate the extra work. Learn to sit back and just ENJOY what you have. If you have to downsize a bit, do so. It won't do you any good to get ill from the wrok and stress.

Take a mini-vacation in the bathtub with lots of bubbles!! That works a charm too!

Winona ;-)

When you lose, don't lose the lesson!!

http://goneriding.wordpress.com/

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  08:32:47 AM  Show Profile
Winona, I saw you on another thread and noticed you drive a truck? Do you own yours or drive for someone else? My hubby drives for Heartland. He's gone 2 weeks at a time. So I am here alot without help. He does help when he's here, but I try not to ask too much. Sometimes he'll ask me if I need him to do anything!! What a man!

I did just recently sell my 2 ewes and 15 hens that were driving me crazy at the time. I may have to call the guy who bought them if he wants to come get the rest of the worthless hens. They have quit laying eggs and I don't want to keep feeding them as much. They are free range, so I know they'll not go hungry. I have slowed down on getting anymore animals because of the room and feed. I know how much I can handle now.

I decided last night while feeding the calves their grain and trying to keep the heifer out of the bulls bucket because she eats faster, that Im going to feed them a little grain in the morning while the goats are in the holding pen eating hay before I milk them. Then just hay in the evening. It's a lot easier. I am coming up with better ways to make things easier for me.

Diane, it sounds like you have done all this, too. What's it feel like to wake up in the morning and not have to hurry out and feed critters now? Do you miss it? I would for sure not miss the rain and mud and footprints all over me, but the hugs and snuggles, maybe.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  08:37:02 AM  Show Profile
Beverly, I really do love my life here. Would not trade it for anything else. I am very thankful I have been able to be at home lately. I do get odd jobs that help or give me spending money. I do sell milk and the occasional critters. So I am a very grateful lady. I just hope and pray my hubby's health holds out for several more years so he can keep doing what he loves doing.
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  08:47:18 AM  Show Profile
Kris, selling off some critters sounds like a great way to get some sanity when you feel like it's going bonkers. I sold off my older ewes this year and am down to 40 from 50. I can't believe how much the workload has lessened with just 10 less ewes...of course trimming feet and worming and shots are less work but the little things like having too many to fit into the lean-to wind/snow shelters in the pastures were a pain. We had to add "extensions" with tarps that would tear in the wind, etc. Now they can all fit into them on a real windy day and this takes no extra work. All of the little things can really add up when managing critters on a farm, as you well know...plus the feed bill is way less if you're buying feed for all of them.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  11:44:59 AM  Show Profile
I wouldn't trade my life on the farm for anything EITHER Kristin. Yeah, I complain once in awhile, throw a temper tantrum now and then, but, at the end of the day, my life is so blessed by God's wonderful creatures. I love each and every one of them too-- Except that one particular buck. He was part of a package deal and I got him for free. He is NOTHING like my first buck (which I LOOOVE! Smell and ALL!) who is very sweet and well mannered. (the third buck is his son-- and just the CUTEST thing!! He's also not related to several of the older does, so he can be used in my breeding program as well)

I maintain a CLOSED flock and herd, so it's necessary to keep my own Rams and Bucks. Besides, there are no sheep breeders in my area that have the kind of sheep I do. I would have to travel all over California, or even go OUTSIDE the state, to have my ewes bred. That's just too expensive and out of the question. I will buy a replacement ram when the time comes (which is VERY soon), but I don't buy outside ewes. I keep most of my girls for my own breeding program, and sell the rest. I'm a firm believer that-- If I'm going to do something, I'm going to do it ALL! But that's just ME! Happy Thursday all! ~~~Hugs~~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Sometimes I just wanna give up... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page