kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  07:31:04 AM  Show Profile
I went out to feed the critters this morning. Got to the pigs and one of them, the smallest, just stood there. Didn't even attempt to eat. So a pig that doesn't eat, I figure is sick, right?

So I call the girl I got them from, she doesn't answer. Call the vet, they're not in yet. So get the Market bulletin and call a person who's selling pigs and got some good advice from her.

He was in the little shelter we made them. I thought I could just give him the shot and all would be good. He didn't think so. I had to get him into a stall about 50' away. he went. I had to lift him into the stall. That was like the horrible nightmare screaching sounds from a horror movie! Scary. So then I had to figure out how to give him a shot of the LA200. I just grabbed his back leg and in it went! So easy.

I was going to leave him in the stall, but his brothers did not think that was a good idea. They were going crazy thinking he was getting special treatment. So back to the garden we went.

All is quiet in the Outback at the moment. It was a week ago today the bull calf got sick, too.

Why do animals, or even kids, wait til Friday to get sick? It's always something around here.

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  08:03:23 AM  Show Profile
It's a little thing called "Murphy's Law" and to tell the truth, if I ever FIND that darn "Murphy" I'm going to BEAT THE CRAP OUT OF HIM!!!! (LOL)

It seems that when ONE critter gets sick, it sets off a chain reaction of some sort! Hang in there Kristin! Hope your critters are feeling better. Hugs ~~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  12:02:09 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Kristin- I hope the little guy gets better quickly! I used to volunteer at a local vet clinic. One day we had to go vaccinate a full grown pig. That was...interesting... let me tell you! First the vet lassoed the pig and had me hold on to the rope after it was wrapped around a post. Then the vet went behind the pig and as it backed up....it got the shot! LOL Reverse psychology! It thought I was the bad thing....it had no idea that Steve was behind it with the injection.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Sick Pig Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page