Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Crocheted Rag Rugs
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Crocheted Rag Rugs Next Topic  

LisaBee
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Lisa
Sparta TN
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2005 :  08:17:56 AM  Show Profile  Send LisaBee a Yahoo! Message
I recently saw a rug that was crocheted with strips of fabric and I would love to learn how to do this. I tried on my own, and can't seem to make it lie flat. Does anyone have a good (easy!) pattern for making one of these, including instructions for cutting the strips (do they get hemmed, joined together, etc.?) Also, what size crochet hook? Thanks!!!

"There is no teacup too large, nor book too long."
http://lisa222.blogspot.com

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2005 :  08:30:19 AM  Show Profile
I have made two of these rugs, one for myself and one as a gift. They are easy to make, but the trick is to know when to increase to get it to lie flat. Too much increasing will make it wavy and too little will make it "cup". Even though I've made 2, I still sometimes have to pull out stitches and redo. There really isn't a set pattern that I use, just a single crochet all around and getting a feel for when to increase. Sorry to sound so vague, but that's how I learned to do it. As for the strips, I take two strips, which I tear, not cut, and cut a slit in one end of each, not all the way to the edge, but about a 1/4 inch from the end. You lay the slits on top of each other and pull one strip through the other so it knots together. Sorry...that's easier to show than it is to explain. I work at a 1800's outdoor, immigrant farmlife museum, Old World Wisconsin,(hence the owwlady) and this is how we make our crocheted rugs there. If you have anymore questions, feel free to email me. Jan
Go to Top of Page

AnnieT
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

Annie

287 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2005 :  09:34:55 AM  Show Profile
To get a crocheted circle to lie flat, you need to increase about 11 times each round.
Go to Top of Page

Carol
Moderator/MaryJane's Design Diva

452 Posts

Carol
Moscow Idaho
USA
452 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2005 :  11:09:12 AM  Show Profile
Hi girls.
MaryJane just finished a crocheted rag rug to go in front of her favorite rocker. She's putting a pattern for it in her next book -- I think the instructions are just like the ones in Jan's reply -- they're really simple! She also said she just "felt" the need to increase around the corners, so I think it's pretty obvious -- and forgiving -- on the increases. You'll see a photo of it in the book.

Happy crocheting!
Carol

she laughed and laughed ...
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Cottage
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Ellen

USA
273 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2005 :  11:34:56 AM  Show Profile
I have wondered how this was done. They are so beautiful-all the best with yours LisaBee
Go to Top of Page

BlueApple
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Julia
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2005 :  2:04:36 PM  Show Profile  Send BlueApple an AOL message
I made one sooooooooo many years ago that I can't really remember how. Can you tell me how wide the strips are?

Julia
BlueApple Farm
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2005 :  2:06:55 PM  Show Profile
My sister in law makes these and they are lovely...and cozy looking for sure!!

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
Go to Top of Page

prairiemaid
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Margret

Canada
200 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2005 :  06:44:27 AM  Show Profile
I've made a couple oval rag rugs. I really like them too! Even if it doesn't turn out as pretty as I hoped, it serves well in front of my washing machine, that cement can be so cold! The way Jan describes to fasten the strips together is the best way. It's best to have your strips all ready before you begin otherwise you'll be stopping to rip some more. I use old bedsheets.
Here's instructions: http://crochet.about.com/library/weekly/aa100299.htm

Call me old fashioned.
Go to Top of Page

LisaBee
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Lisa
Sparta TN
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2005 :  3:50:26 PM  Show Profile  Send LisaBee a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for the link to the site...I can't wait to get started on mine. I'll keep you posted. Carol...when will that workbook be coming out? I can't wait!!! Lisa

Go to Top of Page

Carol

452 Posts

Carol
Moscow Idaho
USA
452 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2005 :  4:43:03 PM  Show Profile
Hi LisaBee. It's not scheduled to come out until sometime next year. Stay tuned! ...
Carol
Go to Top of Page

LisaBee
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Lisa
Sparta TN
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2005 :  06:29:03 AM  Show Profile  Send LisaBee a Yahoo! Message
Carol, Mind if I come back to the Farm and take THAT workbook out to the Plum Pit to browse through? Only kidding, but I will be waiting to buy that workbook (and all the others) as fast as you can get them published!

Go to Top of Page

Carol

452 Posts

Carol
Moscow Idaho
USA
452 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2005 :  10:02:26 AM  Show Profile
Hi LisaBee! Yes, you know we're an "open book" around here, so come on out and sit awhile in the Plum Pit anytime!

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2005 :  06:28:30 AM  Show Profile
i have stashed somewhere among my sewies one of those 'toothbrush' type needle-hookie thingies for making these rugs and am inspired to dig it up and make a crocheted rag rug! ha! i'm still working on a 'hoooked rug' i started two years ago!
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Crocheted Rag Rugs Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page