Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 knitting vs. crocheting
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic knitting vs. crocheting Next Topic  

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2005 :  5:58:53 PM  Show Profile
which do you find easiest to do?

the most satisfying?

i can 'crochet' a little .. almost bought a 'beginner knitting book' yesterday .. but decided that i did NOT need another project to collect dust .. until i finish some i've already started!

CathyM
True Blue Farmgirl

344 Posts

Cathy
Tulsa OK
USA
344 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2005 :  9:00:03 PM  Show Profile
I prefer crocheting myself. I have made a lot of afghans, hats and scarves this way. of course my afghans work up fast because I use a Q hook and 3 strands of yarn, but boy are they warm.

Cathy
Go to Top of Page

BlueApple
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Julia
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2005 :  06:52:13 AM  Show Profile  Send BlueApple an AOL message
I'm afraid I'm not good at either one...still learning!

Julia
BlueApple Farm
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2005 :  09:03:31 AM  Show Profile
I know how to do both and have done both alot but prefer the way knitting looks so I do it alot more. I think crocheting is easier to learn for sure..one loop to deal with at any time.

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
Go to Top of Page

AnnieT
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

Annie

287 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2005 :  09:38:28 AM  Show Profile
I echo Aunt Jenny's sentiments. I do both, but I think knitting feels and looks nicer.
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2005 :  10:42:59 AM  Show Profile
I can do both too but have had a long love affair with knitting.

When I was living in England, I learned that traditionally crocheted items were never found on the first floor of a home where a guest might see them. Knitting was considered much more genteel. Crochet was something they bought from Ireland and pretended that they didn't like it - they just wanted to help those poor Irish folks out. (Lucinda's red hair is standing on end and freckles are burning as she writes this)

Well! I'm glad that the world has changed. I have lovely crocheted items my mother has made me and they are in the living room where everyone can see them!

Lucinda

When we were young, there were moments of such perfectly crystallized happiness that we stood stock still and silently promised ourselves that we would remember them always. And we did. --Holly J. Burkhalter , "Four Midwestern Sisters' Christmas Book"

Go to Top of Page

CathyM
True Blue Farmgirl

344 Posts

Cathy
Tulsa OK
USA
344 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2005 :  10:43:22 AM  Show Profile
i too love the way knitting looks but i don't knit all that often. I guess maybe because i really can't follow knitting patterns all that much. hmmm maybe i should learn, lol.

Cathy
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2005 :  1:59:48 PM  Show Profile
I love the look of crocheted doilies and used to make them alot when I was very young..and my sister crochets alot...ponchos for the girls, doilies and all sorts of things..I would hate for there to be a no crochet rule on the first floor here...only the kids rooms would get those things!! Haha

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
Go to Top of Page

Kate
MaryJane's Farmgirl

135 Posts

Kate
Moscow ID
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2005 :  1:55:19 PM  Show Profile
I guess if you say that you like one better than the other you'll have to have done both. Well I've only knitted but I love it. I think I'll always favor knitting because my Grandma taught me. Knitting when I was little meant time with Grandma either watching her or learning. Now the best part is spending time with Meg. We get together about once a week and knit and chat while the boys hang out. Knitting brings people together and gives them a chance to become closer friends. I love getting closer to Meg and that's why I love knitting.

Tomorrow is always fresh with no mistakes in it.....unless they are spelling mistakes.
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2005 :  3:20:13 PM  Show Profile
I have tried both crocheting and knitting and took immediately to crocheting, I've now made 3 afghans :) Knitting for some reason my brain can't wrap around, my fingers and brain don't work together to do! Maybe I will try knitting again someday, but love to sit and crochet especially now that the weather is getting colder

Molly
http://mollymaequilts.tripod.com
"This is love: to fly toward a secret sky, to cause a hundred veils to fall each moment. First to let go of life. Finally, to take a step without feet."~Rumi

Go to Top of Page

CityCat
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Catherine
Toronto Ontario
Canada
198 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2005 :  7:44:11 PM  Show Profile
Right now I'm knitting a scarf, but that's only because I tried to crochet one and the wool I chose was difficult to crochet with so I switched to knitting.

I learned to do both from my Granma when I was young, probably 10yrs old. I found it frustrating because I couldn't control the tightness of the loops and would often discard attempted knitting and crocheting bits. I remember being at my Granma's house trying to crochet in a round with light blue yarn. It was getting stiffer and stiffer and harder and harder to push the crochet hook in. I ended up with something resembling a doll booty. Frustrated, I tried again. Another doll booty. I was probably in tears at that point and gave up. A few weeks later visiting my Granma, I noticed the bear carving in the corner had blue earwarmers! I was so embarrassed... but my Granma said his ears were cold and he was grateful for the wonderful earwarmers. Boy I miss her...
- Cat
Go to Top of Page

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2005 :  12:16:12 PM  Show Profile
What a sweet story Cat!
I do both . . . the hardest part of either is reading the pattern and keeping track from row to row. I'm still in the middle of a knitted-then-felted purse. I knit right handed and crochet left handed. I'm left handed but learned to knit from my mom (who is right handed) and crochet from my grandma (who is left handed). It's funny but I'd never really thought of that before.
Nancy

http://quiltedprairie.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2005 :  12:43:11 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Knitting when I was little meant time with Grandma either watching her or learning. Now the best part is spending time with Meg. We get together about once a week and knit and chat while the boys hang out. Knitting brings people together and gives them a chance to become closer friends. I love getting closer to Meg and that's why I love knitting.

Oh, I wish I someone to knit WITH (dangles preposition, hopes 3rd grade grammar teacher isn't on this forum). By now I have taught nearly 100 people: men, women, boys, and girls, to knit but they either live elsewhere or are too busy.

>sigh< Lucinda

When we were young, there were moments of such perfectly crystallized happiness that we stood stock still and silently promised ourselves that we would remember them always. And we did. --Holly J. Burkhalter , "Four Midwestern Sisters' Christmas Book"

Go to Top of Page

ladybugsmom6
True Blue Farmgirl

128 Posts

Tami
Horicon WI
USA
128 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2005 :  3:56:08 PM  Show Profile  Click to see ladybugsmom6's MSN Messenger address
I can do both,I was taught to crochet first when I was tiny, but have learned to knit three times! Once as in elementry school, once in high school and right now I am warming up those old needles ( my Mom found a big box full of needles really cheap at an auction so she sent them to me so I can teach my girls!) So I am working on a shawl. ( Well was till my finger tip was cut off!) both are simple, once you figure it how to twist the yarn, both are hard to follow patterns till you learn to read all the abrieviations. I am told knitting uses less yarn and works up faster, but I think crochet is fast, but I have had more practice with it! ( Must be those proud old Irish roots!) either way you can make some beautiful things. I really only came back to knitting because I want to make a heavy old warm I rish knit wool sweater, I have a books of patterns, but now I am wondering if I shouldnt keep searching for a crochet pattern! Enjoy your new hobby. It will make those hours in front of a movie actually profitable!

-Tami
livin' right and loven' life!
Go to Top of Page

Rainbow
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

brenda
Schomberg Ontario
Canada
15 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2005 :  6:32:47 PM  Show Profile
I always liked the look of knitting so I never tried crocheting. My mother is scottish so I guess that puts me in the boat with the irish. we certainly love our doilies. I knit quite a bit and am working on socks for my daughters to hang on the christmas tree like the pioneers did. I used to knit sweaters for my daughters when they were small. but knit articles went out of style while they were in their early teens now shawls and ponchos are back so the needles can fly again. well maybe fly isn't that acurate.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2005 :  9:41:52 PM  Show Profile
I am knitting socks right now too..but for a gift. I am not sure which relative they are for yet. ...will decide when they are done. I am about half done with the second sock so it won't be long. They are a pink/grey type yarn...75% acrylic and 25% wool. Guess with those colors they will be for either my sis or one of my sis in laws.
My sister made crocheted ponchos for my girls last Christmas and they just love them.Isn't it funny how trends are like that..I remember the ponchos my grandma made my sister and I when we were little. And those crocheted granny square looking vests too. I never thought any of that stuff would be in style again! I knitted my girls (who are 11 and 9 now) simple solid color cardigans to wear for church and like that, last winter.
I have knitted on cotton dishcloths this week more than any other project though..had to go to two whole days of workshops where I had to sit and listen for 6 hours!! So..after the first day of just fumbling and doodling on paper (cant' sit still completely that long) the next day I took my yarn and needles and finished two dish cloths..hooray. I am sure that is the longest I have got to just sit and knit in one day in years and years! Usuaully it is an hour here and an hour there. And I still learned alot too.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2005 :  8:45:55 PM  Show Profile
It's definitely knitting for me. I do both and have for a LONG time but I much prefer the look of knitted items. I also like the zen-like trance that I can get into when knitting(if it's a simple pattern...lol). I've taught my adult daughters to do both. One of them really took to knitting and hated crochet and the other is the opposite.

Right now I'm busy knitting socks--my favortie thing to knit--and making crocheted snowflakes because I love them and they're fast.

Marcia

"I suppose the pleasure of country life lies really in the eternally renewed evidence of the determination to live." Vita Sackville-West

Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic knitting vs. crocheting Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page