Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic "sewie" swaps Next Topic
Page: of 3

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2005 :  09:41:06 AM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Frannie- I have seen the hair jewelry, hair flowers under glass-you name it-I work for an Estate Sale Co. but no coffin slipcovers. Must be a southern thing.
I actually have a few post mortem photos of family members from the Victorian age...kinda creepy but I can understand it in theory.

Have you ever seen a photo of the "coffin quilt" as they call it? One Victorian lady made a quilt with a graveyard in the middle, appliqued with coffins bearing all the family members names around the border, as each one died she would remove the coffin from the border and applique it in the middle graveyard. How odd is that?

Also been told that collecting "coffin plates" was a trend for many years....
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2005 :  4:22:16 PM  Show Profile
diane, i have quite a few quilt books and have indeed seen that incredible coffin quilt .. sure would love to see it in person though. can't remember if it's in a museum somewhere .. i'll have to check that out. i'll see if i can find some more info on the black coffin covers. i've not actually researched it much .. i think there is one in our local Abraham Lincoln musuem .. (he was born in a log cabin just ten miles from us).

and oh my .. an estate sale company .. now that sounds exciting .. the treasures you must come across. are you allowed to buy and bid on them too?

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2005 :  10:54:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
We can buy at the end of the first day.......we can also preview and if we truly want something we must get a family member or friend to stand in line for us and purchase it. Thems the rules...

The sale my daughter and I are working tomorrow is a vintage 1890's Victorian that has had one reclusive family member living in it and has remained untouched since 1914.It is one of the few homes in this area with a "witches hat" turret on it(one of the others is the one I grew up in)...this dear lady was a family friend, finally got Alzheimers and went to a home, she is in her 90's.I cannot wait to see what treasures are there!More tomorrow!
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2005 :  11:03:02 AM  Show Profile
Diane -- sounds like you work for a reputable estate sale company. Here in our area by the time we get to the estate sale all the good things have been snatched up by the company doing the sale and then they invite other dealers to come in and shop. Most of the dealers have booths at antique malls and their spots are always well stocked at outrageous prices!

http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2005 :  12:07:04 PM  Show Profile
Just thought I'd add,The last few dolls and Bears I have made I have stuffed with wool batt. You can make your own if you have sheep or know someone with them. If the wool is not good enough to spin it is still good enough for stuffing after it has been washed. The nice thing about it is that it is as fluffy as poly batt, fills out the bumps because it springs back so it is not lumpy and it doesn't shift around like cotton.
Eileen

Songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2005 :  12:34:07 PM  Show Profile
Eileen has a great suggestion there! wool (with it's natural lanolin) is good for your pins and needles too! if you don't have a shepherd living across the road .. you can use polyfill (this can be purchased at walmart and most any fabric or craft store) .. needles and pins slip in and out of it nicely too. i don't suggest 'cotton' .. have you ever tired to stick a needle or pin into wadded up cotton? t'will frustrate the be-jeeezuz outta' you!

SAND is good too .. here is a picture of the most wonderful (sand-filled) pin-cushion that i just received from Kelly in our pincushion swap. Kelly is a true master-seamstress! (Thanks SO very much for the wonderful pincushion miz kelly!)

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2005 :  12:52:08 PM  Show Profile
wowie!! awesome cushion can't wait to get mine. I like the wool idea but Frannie's right if you don't have wool next it's not worth just cause it's expensive to buy at the store. I'm going to try sand but for now we'll just have to deal with cotton.

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com www.sisterhood.sqrlbee.com

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2005 :  4:04:08 PM  Show Profile
Melissa..if you want some I will be glad to send you some wool. It will be raw and should be washed probably before using but I could send you some if you would like email me.

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
Go to Top of Page

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2005 :  6:41:49 PM  Show Profile

Hey Girls- I would love to swap with any of you- my specialties right now are little walnut shell pincushions and needle felted ornaments. They are very simple and I would love to swap! Let me know if you are interested and I will pop one in the mail. The shells I use come from a friends old walnut tree on the Nez Pierce Reservation not too far from Mary Jane's Farm- a little bit of Old Idaho!
Be Well, Rebekka
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2005 :  05:46:07 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning Rebekka .. your walnut shell pincushions sound adorable. Jus' let me know if you wanna' swap for one of my little 'squares' pin cushions. xo, frannie

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2005 :  06:17:44 AM  Show Profile
thought i'd share a couple more types of pin cushions that are fun to make:

1863 .. this one was made on a glass 'candlestick' ... and there are so so many tricks to 'smuddying' these candlesticks up to make them more primitive (paint/glue/cinnamon) is one of my favorites! this was made from an antique overshot coverlet that was all 'tattered and torn' .. i got the wonderful 1863 coverlet off of e-bay (that is the year our 'upper' cabin was built.

this is little Jazzmin Jones ... (made from a victorian piano shawl).

here's Jazzmin with two of her cuzins .. Emancipation and Declaration Jones. I made the 'big'un' and a friend in my doll club made the lil' one. This was an AMAZING process and many layers of fabrics. This is actually a reproduction of an olde doll that a friend owns. Was such a fun class ... about 25 of us 'gurlfrenz' got together and made these .. and each doll was SO different. (a little 'scary' for some folks tastes .. but sings to my heart!)

NOT a pincushion .. just got this fun little 'patriotic' jingle bell tree in a shoppe in our village.

I am a big believer in supporting local businesses and friends who sell their wares.

have a wonderful week farmgirlfriends! xo, frannie

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2005 :  09:24:35 AM  Show Profile
Frannie-
I can't wait to trade-what is your favorite color? Send me an email with your address and I will pop one of these little sweeties in the mail for you. How Fun! Rebekka
amamaswork@yahoo.com

Edited by - Rebekka Mae on Dec 14 2005 10:36:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2005 :  10:03:10 AM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness!!!! Aunt Jenny I would love some wool. I'll email ya!!!!!!!!

Blessed Be

Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2005 :  2:15:16 PM  Show Profile
Hey ladies I forgot to tell you gals (I got so excited about the wool from Aunt Jenny) I got sand last night so I will have your pin cushions done by this weekend. I made a little something else to go along with your cushions. Since I couldn't get sand, I had to make something. Well hope you like them, look for them next week.

Blessed Be

Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2005 :  08:41:38 AM  Show Profile
Christmas gifts are slowing up the pincushions, but you'll get them eventually. Also want to post a picture of the lovely pincushion I got from Kelly. Got a show it off.

Blessed Be

Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2005 :  09:43:22 AM  Show Profile
To Frannie and Kelly I'm sending the cushions out today. So look for them soon!!

Blessed Be

Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2005 :  4:50:07 PM  Show Profile
Melissa,

This is gonna sound stupid, but where did you get the sand? Thanks.

Debbie

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2005 :  09:00:22 AM  Show Profile
received rebekka-mae's adorable, adorable little walnut pincushion (topped with a 'pearl' .. cuz' she sed i wuz one!) and her sweet stitchery with that wonderful woman's adage: make do or do without! thank you soooo much farmgirlfriend .. i adore them .. i'm going to make a little pincushion pillow from the stitchery and will think of you and smile everytime i look at them! xo, frannie

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2005 :  09:17:28 AM  Show Profile
rebekka mae .. here's the little swappie i conjured up for you.

p.s. farmgirls .. it's not too late to hop in on this little sewie swap!

the little dollie quilt .. i machine pieced from new homespuns and 'hand-quilted' .. and oh my .. ever so novice and niave! ... and a little pincushion made from some of the same homespuns. i've tucked in a little package of sunflower seeds from cabin creek farm .. the photo is of one that grew here last year .. they were about 15 feet tall.

sunflowers .. my favorite flower i do believe and believe!

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2005 :  11:19:10 AM  Show Profile
I would love to do a little swap. I have two embroidered pin pillows to trade. I could make more..but after Christmas. You both do cute work!!

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2005 :  11:34:25 AM  Show Profile
sounds great .. i adore these swappies .. cuz' then i have a little piece of your hearts here at Cabin Creek! jus' remind us after christmas. merry, merry!

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2005 :  11:41:02 AM  Show Profile
I do have two now that I could trade anytime...if you or sqrl or whoever are interested. Sqrl..I can put one in with your wool if you are interested. I have been a slacker getting that out to you..can do it today or tomorrow if you want.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2005 :  11:44:44 AM  Show Profile
Oh Aunt Jenny don't you worry. it's a busy time right now. But I'll swap with ya after the holidays.

Blessed Be

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2005 :  11:52:06 AM  Show Profile
jenny .. i'm heading for the post office in a few minutes .. if you e-mail me with your address .. i'll conjure up a little package for ya' .. t'otherwise .. after christmas when we return from ohio .. will be fine. xo, frannie

p.s. if you have any DARK BROWN wool .. i'd sure love some .. heck! i'd settle for light brown or black right now! (i have lots of white already). xo

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2005 :  12:38:31 PM  Show Profile
I have light brown and black right now..and will email my address for ya...

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic "sewie" swaps Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page