CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2005 :  5:51:16 PM  Show Profile
do we do 'sewie' swaps .. things like 'pincushions' and such .. just 'littles'?

i'd sure be interested in doing those (especially the pin cushions)

frannie

onequiltychick
Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

Kelly
Fairfield WA
USA
28 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2005 :  10:24:22 AM  Show Profile
Frannie - I would love to do a pin cushion swap. I spent the whole weekend making pin cushions. I'm going to use them for gifts for my quilt group. If no one else is interested, I'd sure be happy to swap just with you!
Kelly
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2005 :  07:38:28 AM  Show Profile
hi kelly .. i'd love to do a 'pncushion swap' with you. my e-mail system is down right now .. soooo .. let me know via the farm forum any particulars. do you prefer prissy or primitive? mine are mostly primitive as that is my first love for crafting.
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16394 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16394 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2005 :  07:45:52 AM  Show Profile
Hey Frannie and Kelly,
The Stitching Room Workbook I just finished started out by saying how important it is to make a signature pin cushion to go along with your stitching projects. Dory made some crochet ones (heart-shaped) and then Anna made one using a canning jar. We gave instructions for both. I don't have any pin cushions to barter just yet (might need more photos) but we'd love to include any ideas you have in future workbooks. You know my address! Some days I'm prissy, some days I'm primitive.....

Edited by - MaryJane on Nov 21 2005 07:46:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2005 :  7:44:22 PM  Show Profile
i mostly use vintage fabrics for my pin cushions (or pyn pyllows) as some were called in colonial times. i think my favorites are the ones that are the MAKE-DO'S ... 'balls of fabric' (sometimes pieced and sometimes just one piece of wonderful olde fabric gathered) around a 'make-do' base .. which was often a 'broken candlestick' .. with the 'broken' side inserted into the ball (waste not .. want not). i've made these with different types of fun 'bases' .. glass, tin, wood candlesticks .. hog scrapers .. olde ceramic, tin or glass doorknobs, even glass insulators! .. also wonderful olde glass jars (i fill the jars with 'bits and bobs' ... vintage buttons or antique lace and other vintage sewies). when i'm in a hurry to do a bunch of them .. i just use 'squares' of olde quilt snippets or ticking or other vintage fabrics. (if you can find a tattered 'crazy quilt' made of velvets and silks .. these are delightful! it is fun to use a tattered linen .. including some original embroidery. and it is reeeeeeeely fun to 'embellish them' with a coordinating thimble holder .. vintage glass head pins .. 'aged' needles and pins (these can be blackened with a match). and large pin heads can be covered with a teeeeeeeeensy bit of vintage fabric tied around the head with thread. olde buttons sewn on or a few hanging from olde thread off the side of the 'ball' make-do's look great too! oh goodness, the varities are limited only by your imagination.
Go to Top of Page

onequiltychick
Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

Kelly
Fairfield WA
USA
28 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2005 :  10:50:17 AM  Show Profile
Frannie,
I'm so glad you want to swap with me. I'm country and primitive! I can hardly wait to see what you come up with. Your ideas are inspiring! Do you have a color preference? Email me with your mailing address when you get your email again.
Kelly
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2005 :  12:57:23 PM  Show Profile
just 'earthy' .. and i take it if you love country and primitive .. you do too!

i can't get into my e-mail program AT ALL now .. i'm sure i have e-mails bouncing back to my gurlfrenz .. and i can't even get to them to explain why! been trying to reach my server for days now .. but they are always busy .. soooooo .. must be a nationwide thingie .. although, i also have some 'glitches' in my outlook express program. will keep working on getting it back up and meanwhile, will be creating some of those pin cushions for ya! xo, frannie
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2005 :  07:56:40 AM  Show Profile
kelly ... i created a new e-mail address .. and i think my server created a 'forwarding' thingie on my computer so that any e-mails sent to my olde e-mail address will now be forwarded to my new e-mail address .. soooooooo .. if you send me your snail mail address .. i'll get a little pincushion prize on it's way to you! true friends, frannie
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2005 :  12:44:06 PM  Show Profile
I would love to swap with you guys. I am so in need of a new pin cushion, I have been seeing some patterns around for some really cute ones. Or whatever else if there are any other ideas.

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com www.sisterhood.sqrlbee.com

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2005 :  2:13:49 PM  Show Profile
Melissa .. i have some square ones made from vintage quilt pieces .. i've embellished them with olde buttons ... wanna' swap for one of those .. just something simple. after the holidays are over, i'm going to make some more of the 'ball' ones on candlesticks (make-do's) .. but just don't have time right now. let me know if you think you'll be happy with the little square one? Frannie
Go to Top of Page

onequiltychick
Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

Kelly
Fairfield WA
USA
28 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2005 :  11:34:32 AM  Show Profile
Frannie - I'll email today with my snail mail address. Mine are all ready and I'll put yours in the mail as soon as I get your address. I can hardly wait!!
Melissa - I'd be happy to exhange with you, too. I have your address from the charm square exchange. What are your favorite colors?
Kelly
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2005 :  3:28:16 PM  Show Profile
awesome sounds fun. Frannie, I would love one of the little square ones. But, I'm not sure what to swap for the pine cushion, I've never done a "swap" before, I'm sure I'll think of something. And Kelly I love all colors, My favs are autumn colors burnt orange, sage, burgandy, mustard, almost any kind blue.
Let me know when you guys want to start this.

Blessed Be

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2005 :  08:53:11 AM  Show Profile
i deleted the photos to make room for more! xo

Kelly .. i finished your little pin-keeper sewies. Will send them along early next week. Thought I'd post a picture to you.
hope you enjoy these little prizes. xo, frannie

Edited by - CabinCreek-Kentucky on Dec 09 2005 07:20:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2005 :  08:56:46 AM  Show Profile
Melissa .. i'm making more little 'pin' sewies ... let me know if you wanna' swap .. heading out for an 'adventure' with honey hunk right now .. but will post some pics of finished ones when we return .. just let me know if any of them make your heart smile .. and i'll be happy to send them along! xo, frannie

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

onequiltychick
Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

Kelly
Fairfield WA
USA
28 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2005 :  10:07:23 AM  Show Profile
Frannie and Melissa,
I mailed your pincushions today. Look for them later this week. I hope you like them. Love the pictures, Frannie!
Kelly
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2005 :  12:55:16 PM  Show Profile
Wow sounds great Kelly, I will be so looking forward to a mail box treasure. i plan to make yours this coming weekend. And Frannie, I would love to swap with you. I love them all, especialy the bird. Fun, fun!!!

Blessed Be

Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2005 :  6:09:43 PM  Show Profile
Frannie -- those pin-keepers are so darling. You're so talented!

The only place that success comes before work is in the dictionary!
http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2005 :  05:27:55 AM  Show Profile
thanks miz kay .. but honestly, anyone .. even if they've never sewed a stitch in their life can make little 'sewies' .. especially the 'primitive' kind. in our doll club, many of the girls made 'primtive' dolls and other primitive crafts. the 'beauty' of prim is that it .. just like us .. it can have scrapes and scars .. loose stitches .. and be lopsided .. and that (just like us) adds to the charm.

i think the charming thing, for me, about primitive is using 'vintage' fabrics .. anything olde that already has 'stories' wrapped up in it. now that's what i call 're-cycling' .., fabric and stories together .. to create something that connects the present and future to the past. xo, frannie

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2005 :  08:54:56 AM  Show Profile
OK ladies I'm doing a few experiments with your pincushions. I made one last night, it doesn't have all the finishing touches but it's pretty cute. I put lavender buds in. All I think it works, it's just that you hit the buds with your pin every once in a while and it doesn't go in very well. I'm also using cotton stuffing instead of poly which is what I use for all the things I make that need stuffing. I was thinking of putting sand in one just to see. I read I believe in Martha Stewart about putting sand in pincushions to keep the needles sharp. Not sure, but if I get some sand by this weekend I may try it. So you guys will be getting some experimental pincushions. Hope ya like them.

Blessed Be

Go to Top of Page

onequiltychick
Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

Kelly
Fairfield WA
USA
28 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2005 :  1:52:21 PM  Show Profile
Melissa - You will see when mine arrives that I used sand. It works great, but you do need to put it in a liner inside the pincushion. I just made a little fabric bag the same size as the outer one, filled it with sand, and hand stitched the opening up (very tightly). Then I put that sand bag inside the outer one and hand stitched the opening closed. Without the liner, the sand will come through the weave of the cotton fabric. I can hardly wait to see what you came up with!
Kelly
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2005 :  2:52:55 PM  Show Profile
i'll have to see if i still have the 'bird' pattern .. i think it was a 'kindred spirits' .. will come up with something .. will post pics .. and you girls can pick and choose. (i love my little black 'jemima' ones .. hope to make some of those soon .. they are little 'jemima' heads and i make them from .. are you ready for this ... civil war era 'coffin covers' (that are torn and tattered or i could never, ever cut them up. also make them from victorian piano shawls.

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2005 :  3:46:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Okay Frannie, you've peaked my curiosity...what are coffin covers exactly? The basic premise is self explanatory, but what are they made of and how and why? Never heard of those out here in the West.
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2005 :  7:19:34 PM  Show Profile
Melissa .. i've made them and stuffed them with 'real cotton' .. and the pins just don't want to 'go in' easily and they usually bounce right back out. wool is good as long as it doesn't have lot of lanolin in it. cuz' then it will leave little grease stains. sand is a good stuffing .. especially if you can pack it in tight and still get a tight seam on the 'hand-sewn' opening.

diane .. yep! that's right .. they are usually about 6 or 7 feet long .. jet to 'faded' black (depending on whether they were stored in a dark place .. or left so that they are faded by sun and air .. often with a fringe (which makes GREAT black dolly hair!) and wide enough to go over and down the sides of a coffin.

so far .. this is the only 'google' mention i can find ... i MUST have a civil war book around here with a photo of a coffin covered with a black shroud .. i'll look around. this is from a catholic encyclopedia (on-line)

"A heavy, black cloth, spread over the coffin in the church at a funeral, or over the catafalque at other services for the dead."

I've only found about a dozen of them in the many years i've been antiquing (and i buy them every time i do find them .. especially if they are tattered so that i won't mind cutting them up to make dolls with.)

I've found one wool one but mostly a slightly heavy cotton.

OH .. and i have to tell you what i found in an antiques shoppe in denver, colorado about 25 years ago! a whole collection of 'deceased babies and children (and a few adults) .. it was the custom to take a photograph of a baby who died because they would be the only thing to show that they ever existed. some were in coffins and some were on a 'bed' .. i could not bring myself to buy this collection (although looking back it was very reasonable (about a dollar a picture) and now they command HUGE money for them. i only have one of a precious little infant that i bought a few years ago for only $3. the seller did not know what it was. Sometimes they were surrounded by flowers .. but often just a 'black background'.

When giving a 'tea party' to a group of women when we lived in Maryland .. i showed the photo .. a nurse from Baltimore said that at their hospital ..this tradition had been revived. That not everyone requested it ... but quite a few were asking that their little one be photographed.

I do have a small collection of 'funeralia' .. mostly black mourning clothes and items .. i think my most favorite piece is a Victorian wide silk black ribbon that has been 'jeweled' in black beads .. and has a small pocket where the mourner could tuck her black mouring hankie. It was worn draped over the arm.

Seems 'bizarre' .. but these are all part of 'americana'.

Have you ever seen 'hair jewelry' or pictures?

True Friends, Frannie

Edited by - CabinCreek-Kentucky on Dec 06 2005 7:26:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2005 :  08:35:01 AM  Show Profile
Frannie, do you use cotton stuffing for the dolls and other things that you make? I'm new to using cottonm stuffing and I made a Raggity doll a week or so ago and I have found that the stuffing condenses after a while. Which is not such a big deal except that she can't hold her head up now because the stuffing doesn't stay in her neck. For now I think I'm going to have to open her beack up and insert and really thick piece of felt to keep her neck straight, I hate to open her back up but her big head just flops down all the time. I think the next doll just won't have a neck, because I really like using cotton instead of poly. Any suggestions?

Blessed Be

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2005 :  09:23:46 AM  Show Profile
missy melissy ... i've done it all! if i want a reeeeeeely heavy old-timey doll .. i will, indeed stuff her with bits and bobs of actual leftover cloth (i try to use olde .. in case her little guts every spill out so she will be charming both inside and out!.. AND .. here's a really important thing to do with ALL the dollies you make: ALWAYS sign and date her (i sign 'over the heart') .. also .. write a 'hand-written' note either on paper or muslin .. with either a 'poem' .. story of the doll .. when and where she was made .. some 'history' .. cuz' .. in a hundred years or so .. she might 'pop a seam' .. and what a WONDEROUS thing to find .. a hand-written note by the dollmaker giving some history of the doll!

NOW .. if you don't your floppy cotton-stuffed doll to always have her head bowed in prayer .. or seem to be 'contemplating her belly-button' .. put a fabric or cotton batting wrapped 'DOWEL' running into her head .. down her neck and into her chest! this reeeeeeeely works!! I've also found that'sand' or 'sawdust' TRAVELS when a doll is stuffed with these .. that should not deter you from making dolls with all these different stuffings though! just get 'creative'.

i would suggest that you cut a hole in the dolls 'back' or 'waist'... (these are probably covered by the dress anyway) ... insert the dowel (you might have to take some of the stuffing out and work it back in) ... THEN .. make a wonderful fabric 'label' with your name and date on it ... or a poem ... and stitch the slit closed and sew the label over the slit...VOILA .. it looks like you did all that on purpose rather than making an 'owie'. you can use some of the doll dress fabric and sew a muslin 'label' on top of it if you want to get a little 'fancy'. NECKS can be VERY charming on a dollie .. so don't give up on those! wanna' see some of your babies! xo, frannie

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2005 :  09:25:03 AM  Show Profile
happy hear youu use all kinds of stuff to stuff. I was doing just that until I found cotton stuffin at a local shop. I love the story idea and the signing, I put a heart on all the dolls (well I haven't made that many but I want to put a heart on all the dolls) I could sign the heart. Thanks for advise and I'll post picts when I get a few together.

Blessed Be

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic "sewie" swaps Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page