Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Potato and Leek Soup===Thanks, Jenny
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Potato and Leek Soup===Thanks, Jenny Next Topic  

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2008 :  4:11:22 PM  Show Profile
Who has a yummy Potato and Leek soup recipe they will share with me? MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Edited by - Marybeth on Oct 02 2008 8:13:56 PM

jennym
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Jenny
Green Lane PA
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2008 :  06:58:31 AM  Show Profile
I grew leeks this year for the first time, and it's finally getting cool enough here to make some soup - yay!
Here's a recipe for Leek & Potato Soup that I got from my mom:

2 T. vegetable oil
2 large leeks (tough green ends discarded, thoroughly washed and diced (you should have about 2 1/2 cups)
1 large onion, chopped
1 lb. potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
1 carrot
1 sprig parsley
1 sprig dill
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
4 cups chicken broth
1 T. chpped chives
1 T. parsley

Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add leeks and onion, saute 5 minutes or until softened but not browned. Add potatoes, carrots, parsley, dill, salt, pepper, and chicken broth. Bring to boiling, reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 35-40 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Working in batches if necessary, puree the mixture in a blender o food processor. Serve immediately, garnished with the chopped chives and parsley.

I haven't made the recipe yet, but my mom has, and it was delicious!

By the way....did you grow your own leeks? Do you know how long you can leave them in the garden? Will a frost ruin them? And how do you store them - do you freeze them? (That's a lot of questions!)

Thanks!

Be still and know that I am God. Psalm 46:10
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2008 :  07:06:51 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the recipe---I will make it today.
I didn't grow the Leeks. I got them from a CSA I belong to so I know they are homegrown and fresh. He said to store them loosely in the refer for only a few days. As to your other questions I draw a blank. Maybe look up Leeks on a search. thanks again and I will let you know how the soup turns out. MB

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2008 :  2:23:32 PM  Show Profile
Jenny, I tried your mom's recipe and you are right it is good. I had to change a few things---I don't have a food processor and I did want chunky soup so I just slightly mashed the veggies when they were done and I didn't put in the onion or dill and I shredded the carrot. So basically the same and darn good.

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Potato and Leek Soup===Thanks, Jenny Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page