Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Anna
St. Maries Idaho
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2008 :  3:33:18 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone.
I love to bake, and just wanted to clue everyone else in on one of my 'duh' moments. I was getting ready to make cookies and was trying to figure out what to lay out for them to cool on... uh-oh, I don't have a cookie rack. Looked through the house trying to find something that would work, but nothing. So I wiped down my glass-top kitchen table and was planning to use that. When the timer went off I opened the oven to remove the cookie sheet and the answer was right there, my extra oven rack. DUH! I already had the second rack pulled out from the last roast that I made, so I just cleaned it up and have been using it for a cooling rack every since. It works great for cookies if you lay them out across the cross support that runs underneath the rack, and it also works great for pies and breads.

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2008 :  3:51:04 PM  Show Profile
That is a super good idea. You'll never have ti find a place to store a big rack like I do.
Hello from Bonners!

Trish
Farmgirl Sister #91
Make cupcakes not war!
http://adventuresofowenmaxwell.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2008 :  06:18:13 AM  Show Profile
You know what they say- Necessity is the mother of invention! Way to use your farmgirl ingenuity. :)

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

www.perfectlittlemiracle.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2008 :  08:55:22 AM  Show Profile
Great idea Anna - I think I only ever use that second rack when we are making pizza.
And welcome to the connection - my dad lives up north of Harrison and we go fishing up the St. Joe often so we go through St Maries once in a while. Beautiful area
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

raglady
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Becky
Saint Maries ID
44 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  06:42:58 AM  Show Profile
That's a great idea - I don't have a cookie rack and have always just put wax paper on my counter! We currently live north of Seattle but own some property up off of Hell's Gulch Road in St Maries! We are planning to build there soon - got the power, septic and water put in this summer! It won't ever be a "farm" but we have already put in some apple trees!
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  5:31:11 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Welcome Anna and Becky. Great idea Anna, you can never have too many cooling racks, especially at the holiday baking time.
I to will be over in the St Maries area soon. DH and I have 20 acres 18 miles sw of St Maries.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2008 :  3:51:45 PM  Show Profile
Glad it worked out for you Anna. I sometimes use the burners on my gas stove as cooling racks.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

lacisne88
True Blue Farmgirl

1181 Posts

Chelsey
Lake Stevens Washington
USA
1181 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2008 :  6:01:59 PM  Show Profile
Lol! That is exactly what I did before I got a cooling rack. It works great!

Chelsey
Farmgirl Sister #283

http://farmgirlpleasures.blogspot.com/

http://aminiatureworld.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

raglady
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Becky
Saint Maries ID
44 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  5:40:53 PM  Show Profile
Where is Tekoa? We live in Arlington - north of Seattle. Just got back from St. Maries yesterday - moved our travel trailer up onto the property -16 acres - we are 4 1/2 miles up Hells's Gulch Road then off the road about 9/10 mile - you turn off of St. Joe River road near town. Is your property south on 3? We have only had the property for a year - lots to do to when we go there - lots of work that is! We are new to Washington, too - only been here a little over a year - husband contracts in aviation so we get to move around a lot - my philosophy is - "bloom where you are planted" - so I am always happy wherever we live - in last 3 years we have been in Amarillo, TX (Texas has always been my home) - then Savannah, GA for 5 months - then here in Washington since then.
Go to Top of Page

santacreekmarsh
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Anna
St. Maries Idaho
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  7:21:23 PM  Show Profile
Ladies, thanks for your responses.
I can't believe how many of you know where St. Maries, ID is, not to mention have actually been here! Becky, welcome to the area, my folks live 6 miles up hells gulch...I don't envy you come this winter, but my folks still make it in and out every day, so it is do-able. Thanks again ladies!!!
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2008 :  08:56:13 AM  Show Profile
Great idea on the cooling rack! I use wax paper, too, but I am going to use the oven rack from now on.

Speaking of using what you have available......I bake my own bread (in a bread machine) and sometimes the loaves are too big to go into any plastic container I have, and I do not have a bread box. Last week, I was wondering how to keep the bread soft and I looked at my microwave oven and thought....hmmmm. It is airtight, and I never have to worry about inadvertently nuking the bread, because you always have to open the door BEFORE turning it on, so now I use my microwave as a bread box!

Welcome Anna!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2008 :  09:54:45 AM  Show Profile
We use the microwave to store bread, pastries etc when we are at the shore due to ants and flies...Works great!
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2008 :  2:53:53 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Hi Becky, Tekoa is an hour south of Spokane. Tekoa is only about 25 minutes from our property. Our property is south west of St. Maries going toward hwy 95. Are you going to move over this way? I have a brother in Texas, down by Corpus. Well, heck, I had relatives in Texas before it was Texas, lol, answered the call to homestead from the Mexican government way back when.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
MJ's Heirloom Mavens Badgebadger
MJ's Heirloom Mavens Bookclub Coordinator
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

homesteaderbelle
True Blue Farmgirl

391 Posts

Belle

USA
391 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2009 :  12:12:29 AM  Show Profile  Click to see homesteaderbelle's MSN Messenger address
That is a great idea!

Belle

http://www.homesteaderbelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2009 :  08:03:08 AM  Show Profile
Hey Washington Girls...In the "Stitching room", their talking about the "Western Wa. Sewing and Crafting fair" at the Puyallup Fairgrounds...go over and maybe we all can meet there and have a "Farmgirl Expo." ourselves!!!!
Lets Go!!!!

Farmgirl Sister #368

http:/froccsfrillsfurbiloesandmore.blogspot.com
http://thecontentedwoman.blogspot.com

Edited by - 5 acre Farmgirl on Jan 08 2009 08:03:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

katalind
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Kathy
Chapin SC
USA
177 Posts

Posted - May 23 2010 :  09:36:35 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the great idea. I need another rack and you just saved me some dough.
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - May 25 2010 :  05:11:16 AM  Show Profile
That's a great idea! I have a large pizza stone, and can never find anything big enough for it to cool on when it comes out of the oven. Thanks for the tip!

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Go to Top of Page
  HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic Cookie Rack Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page