Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 Fascinating book about human/dog relations
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic Fascinating book about human/dog relations Next Topic  

HiDez Gal
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Roberta
Joshua Tree, CA
USA
122 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2004 :  08:23:12 AM  Show Profile
Hi all,

We just were gifted with a new puppy, an ACD (Australian Cattle Dog). After we said "yes" i did some research about the breed and soon realized that we were probably going to have our hands full if we didn't get serious about teaching this little girl from the very beginning. I have trained dogs for show and obedience in the past but the dog we have now was so compliant and easy that i haven't stayed on top of some of the newest information in dog training.

The book is called "The Other End of the Leash: Why We Do What We Do Around Dogs". Much of the information is rather similar to what i have learned about working with my equines but some how i hadn't thought of the similarities in relationship to the dogs (probably because of the differences in prey animal vs. predator animal). The main value of the book IMO is how it points out what we as humans do around animals and how those things influence them. Not what we generally think that is for sure!

I am totally fascinated with this book and thought i would share for any of you dog owners out there who might be interested as well. Have another book from the library, also dog related, that i have not started yet "Bones Would Rain From the Sky" by Susanne Clothier. I have done a little clicker training with the equines and have been refreshing myself on those training sequences as well.

From my favorite coffee cup:
"A gal's gotta do what a gal's gotta do." Minnie Cody, 1901
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Fascinating book about human/dog relations Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page