Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Are you a 'lipstick' farm girl?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Are you a 'lipstick' farm girl? Next Topic
Page: of 4

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  04:11:32 AM  Show Profile
I always wear lipstick. I don't have much natural color in my face, so if i don't even wear lipstick my face looks nekid, lol. (a word I saw here, hehe)
So lipstick always, indoors and out. But the rest I hardly wear anything. My face is very sensitive and dry skin, so better to go nekid that way. But lips are colored.

I also don't wear polish on my hands but my toes are painted a bright pink right now.Toes always painted.

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

http://princess-of-pink-creations.blogspot.com/
my new BLOG.
I have added "new" creations, take a look :)
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  04:48:49 AM  Show Profile
Well Ladies this has got my attention this morning. I am a MAster Cosmetologist and going to school for the 3rd time to better myself in my adult lifetime. I have worked in a salon for a long time. And I still have to make sure I have lipstick and mascara on before I leave the house. If I dont I look horrible. Ny husband loves me without and I am glad for that. I think the only time he has seen me without those 2 things is when I had the flu last yr....But I think when we put on a little make-up we feel better ourselves. I am blonde so my eyelashes and eyebrows are VERY blonde...so I have started coloring my eyebrows...(no more eyebrow pencil). It makes it so much better. When I dont have mascara and lips on I look in the mirror and say "who is that"...and put it on...Well thats all for now...have a great day ladies
Deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  05:57:04 AM  Show Profile
I guess I'm a lipstick cowgirl. Even when I used to go out for Spring Roundup, I'd still wear my makeup. Full rigged makeup. The only time I haven't really worn makeup was when I was in the military and it was frowned upon...but I had my pack with me, just in case!

When I first started trucking, I was so sad about my life that I didn't wear any and even when I met my hubby, he saw the unvarnished me and still loved me. But one day he said, "Why don't you try makeup." in a nice way. So I went back to it.

I gotta admit, I like the toenail polish but do have trouble with the fingernail stuff. I'm just too rough plus I tend to chew my nails when I get tense.

In the shower, not to get too personal, I like all sorts of girly body shampoos. I try to keep my hair colored as the gray is taking over, big time and it's starting to make me look like a calico cat! So I'm a more-blonde just to keep the gray at bay.

I have to take shower at least every other day or I feel ooky. Even on the truck. The load can be late but I gotta have my shower!! I'm not getting some sort of disease from being dirty!!

I don't mind sweating, I think it's good for you, but I have to have my shower afterward. I really do like the feeling of getting dirty and then taking a shower and have the feeling of all the dirt and grime fall off of you and just feel so much cleaner. Even at the barn, I wear my makeup.

Winona ;-)

When you lose, don't lose the lesson!!

http://goneriding.wordpress.com/

Go to Top of Page

Alpaca Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

Katy
Fairhope AL
USA
59 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  08:35:15 AM  Show Profile

This topic caught my attention. I am probably a lipstick farm girl. Though I admit that I don't get too dressed up to go to the grocery store and things like that. I will throw on some makeup (a little) and brush my hair and go to town. But I live in the South and most people around here are more dressed up than I am in town. I will keep my overalls or jeans and t-shirt on if I'm in the middle of "work". And I'm happy with that. I think they are less judgmental about my less than cover girl appearance when they say, "Oh, that's the alpaca lady." Most of them think that's cool. Either that or they think I'm nuts and don't care what I look like anyway.

Do y'all wear makeup or get dressed up to go to the store?

Katy
Alpaca Farmgirl

Visit me at www.alpacafarmgirl.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  09:44:08 AM  Show Profile
This has been so fun to read!!! I have a ton of lipstick, but with three kids I don't usually wear any at home! I am trying to get in a habit of getting dressed a little nicer than my sweats even if I am just going to be cleaning! I do usually put on a bit of makeup when I go out even if it's just to the market otherwise I probably wouldn't use it! I guess I just get busy and don't think of it! I have gotten into wearing long skirts lately which make me feel a lot more girly than my sweats! I do have a bunch of nail polish, but I hardly ever wear it and when I do it usually chips the first day with washing dishes and everything else!

Rene, I would be a daisy!!!!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TabithaLenox
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Kim
Gettysburg PA
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  09:51:31 AM  Show Profile
I wear makeup everyday no matter if I'm staying home or going to the store....but no, I don't dress up to go to the store unless I"m going for a whole day of shopping for something other than food. But for the foodstore, no way!

Kim
Farmgirl #184
All that we see or seem, Is but a dream within a dream....
http://www.tabithalenox.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  10:05:16 AM  Show Profile
I hardly wear lipstick or makeup anymore. I also used to do my nails all the time. I don't have a farm so it's not like the chores are keeping me from doing it. Just being lazy. But this topic has motivated me to get back in the groove. I truly do believe that a person feels better about themselves when they do a little something whether it's a cute haircut, makeup, or smelling good.

As far as MaryJanes goes - I can testify that she is beautiful all the time! When we went to Farm Fair in 2006 I saw her from dressed up to coming down the lane in her bath robe and wrapped in a quilt. She has an inner beauty that just shines through. But her complexion and hair are absolutely amazing. The last morning we were there we stopped by the farm to say goodbye to everyone. There was MaryJane in her cute blouse and skirt out watering the chickens!

Handmade Soap and More! - http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com

PROUD FARMGIRL SISTER #100
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  10:13:12 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Kay, you made me think of my Nanna. She grew up dirt poor, never even having shoes until she went to school at age 4. She always ALWAYS always wore mules as an adult and always had on her lipstick, "eyebrows" and mascara. She cleaned her skin with Dove soap everyday and wore "White Shoulders" perfume and moisturized head to toe. That was her beauty routine, along with weekly manicures and pedicures. She had select outfits in her closet (probably about 8-10 nice things) and wore her older stuff around the house. When she gardened, she wore PINK rubber boots (Yep, you know where I get it from now) and her old bermuda shorts and a shirt and a bandana (yep, again..I am my Nanna) But she was always made up. She was beautiful and I thought so sophisticated for beinga farmer's wife and mother. I really strive to be just like her.

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  12:43:28 PM  Show Profile
I just checked my cosmetic bag.. In my purse, In the bathroom drawer, Yikes I only have two tubes.. This will never do.. Gotta have at least 4 colors.. I will add it to my (PERSONAL SHOPPING LIST)

http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/

Cheryl #309
Farm girl sister

Keep life simple, to Simply live. Life is too short to worry about it.
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  2:23:25 PM  Show Profile
Lipstick - What's that???? Oh, I think I had some in another life....
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  8:24:50 PM  Show Profile
Lipstick and eyeliner, shower and shave daily, and toe-nail polish. All that though only takes about 15 minutes - I have gone to shortish hair as I approach the bit 4-0. And, of course, a fabulous apron makes the outfit:D
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  9:55:36 PM  Show Profile
I am a lipstick farmgirl.

Right now, I am growing out my REALLY short do from last year. I have chin length baby fine hair. Lots of it. It is wavy at best, frizzy when it is humid. I hate this stage!
I wash it every morning, blow dry it, and spray it to keep my bangs in place and the back part kinda fluffed up a little. When it is longer it hangs nicer. I will never have short hair again. It was such a pain to maintain.

I shower daily. I have really dry skin, so lots of lotion-Gold Bond in the winter time. Bath and Body Coconut lime in the summer.
If I wear perfume, it is either Cool Water or Chanel No. 5

Make up is mostly that mineral make up. I don't wear a lot of it because I can go from looking nice to clownish if I am not careful.
I have a lip gloss/lip stick fetish. I have way too many. I have great lips, but my coloring in my face, I can only wear certain colors. I always have at least a Burt's with me at all times.

My routine in the morning takes about 40 minutes from when I step into the shower and walk out the door.

I wear docker style pants with simple tops to work. At home it is jeans and a t shirt or sweatshirt. Comfort and wash and wear-ability is key. For years I had to dress up in suits and dresses/pantyhose. Then they mercifully changed the dress code.

I don't bother painting my finger nails. They'd be trashed in a day. However, my toney-nails, are painted in the summer.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland

Edited by - kissmekate on Oct 09 2008 10:02:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

Artsy Chic
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Marianne
Anchorage Alaska
USA
16 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  11:07:14 PM  Show Profile
I've never gotten the hang of lipstick. It always makes my lips looks so thin. I'm a tinted burts bees gal and I feel purty when I've combed & fluffed my hair and given myself about 3 mists of Vera Wang perfume. Blush makes a world of difference for me and a bit of eyeliner. It's a pretty quick routine. I gotta have my lotions! I'm fair and freckled and always dry! Yikes! That doesn't sound good. Oh, and a small pair of earings make me feel pretty :)

I like levi's and "Title nine" or REI style clothes(sporty but cute). I love to wear "happy" clothes - stripes, polka dots, flowers...and my Levi's of course! But I could see how a cute little apron could finish the look around the kitchen.

I'm a stay at home mom and I don't want to spend too much on clothes, but I do wanna look nice, and when the cat hair and spagetti sauce get me, it's got to be easy to clean. Sometimes (ok, maybe all the time) when I see the cute little girls clothes, I'm jealous! All those courdaroys, jumpers, dots and flowers! It's practical for play, but sooo cute!! That's how I want to dress! :D

I don't do my nails, it makes me look at them too much, and i don't like that......ok, I have a few issues. ;)

Just wanted to join in,
Marianne

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4240 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4240 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  4:20:40 PM  Show Profile
Okay gonna bear my soul here. Truth be told, I was born with two left hands, and I am a right handed person. I have tried to apply makeup, I end up smearing the mascara, go crooked with the lipstick. I can't get my hair to behave like the stylist does. It is soooo frustrating. Okay maybe I don't practice enough :) I do on rare occasions put on nail polish, ( on the sides of my fingers as well )
My cousin Dawn was just asking, not too long ago, if I look like Mary Jane does, on my farm. Oh gosh no. I am the one with dirt under my finger nails, a grease spot on my elbow, that I thought I had cleaned off, and stained clothes! I am more of a pony tail hanging out of my John Deere cap, type of girl.
And as far as a razor goes, that is a must. I would look like my boys, yicks! Though even that I don't do a good job on! See I am doomed!
HELP!!!!!

:) Michele :)
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4743 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4743 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2008 :  4:00:00 PM  Show Profile
Don't let Windy Pines there fool you, she's beautiful, make up or no make up! She has gorgeous dark hair, the color of molasses, and big dark brown eyes. She is a knock out when all dolled up, but she looks like an ad for Eddie Bauer or Lands End when she's going casual! We're cousins, so I know this for a fact!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

homemakerkate
True Blue Farmgirl

143 Posts

Kate
Ewen Michigan
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2008 :  5:40:24 PM  Show Profile
ok...maybe i aught to make more of an effort...(or not! LOL) I am a very basic, low maintainence kind of gal. I dont Have to have make up on before leaving the house, or faint at the sight of a chipped nail. However all the basics are (thankfully) covered in the personal hygiene area. I dont make a point of running into the bathroom before hubby comes home so that I can be pleasing to his eye, he married me just the way I am. If I am lucky enough to get a night out, hubby and I will "clean up nice" for church, a dinner out, a school event or wedding or funeral but daily...well between wood cutting, hauling stacking, animal processing, housework and my job as a very rural emt...looking "betty crocker" ready is just not my style. If you havent guessed already I have a bit of a problem with women who might feel they have to go that extra mile for their husbands. It seems antiquated to me. If a girl wants to be all girly-girl just because that is what she likes to do then so be it, have at it, and be yourself. But dont try to "make yourself up" to be someone else's idea of the perfect woman. I believe, we all are the loveliest, when we are being naturally who we were ment to be. oh, and yes I believe that I am one hot mamma too.
Go to Top of Page

clux64
True Blue Farmgirl

162 Posts

Celeste
Blair NE
USA
162 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2008 :  06:27:00 AM  Show Profile
Kate...I like your attitude! I agree, we should want to 'gussy up' because it makes us feel good, not because our men will appreciate it. After all, we women are the great civilizers--we make everything nice, least of all ourselves. Anyway, my DH doesn't seem to put any effort into his appearance for me--and I don't care either, I like him anyway. The thing I've learned from the posts here is that one can feel 'better' just by making a bit of an effort on their appearance. I know it's working for me. Thanks to everyone who waded in here!

Celeste

"No matter where you go, there you are"
--Confucious

www.urbanprairiehome.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Laura Marie
True Blue Farmgirl

419 Posts

Laura
Rancho Cordova California
USA
419 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2008 :  8:55:06 PM  Show Profile
Although I live in the city I grew up in jeans and a t-shirt. I played in moms makeup that she would put aside whenever I got a chance. I find myself going through phases. Sometimes I enjoy just waking up taking a shower putting on some lip gloss and going to work. Other days I put more on and still others I go all out. I do what I feel like doing at the time. Although when I was on vacation my makeup didn't make it out of the bag at all. I finally came to that point in my life where I was happy with just some lip gloss and my lotion on my skin. It felt good to let the real me just be there. So to answer your question I do it at times when I feel I need a little change, I do it when it feels right. But I do it because I choose to do it. It's a science to me.

Laura Marie #369
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  1:56:27 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I am bumping up some of my favorite posts, as it seems we have so many new farmgirls and it would be fun to have them add their thoughts as well.

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/http://renenaturallyspeaking.blogspot.com/

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

janiee
True Blue Farmgirl

820 Posts

Janie
Shawnee Oklahoma
USA
820 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  2:08:37 PM  Show Profile
wow! I just saw this post and I am so impressed with all the girlie girls.....growing up my father didn't believe in girls wearing makeup and my mom use to always have her lipstick and powder. I started wearing makeup in high school and promptly quit once in college..don't know how i ever attracted " my man"! :) but we have been married for 30 years this coming May...have recently started wearing more dresses to work but since I work in a warehouse it is really not very productive to be in heels and a dress. my sister talked me into wearing tinted lip gloss and that is about all i do these days. might have to change my way of thinking!
thanks for bumping! needed the jolt...
janiee
farmgirl #390
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  2:21:57 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Janie,
One of the reasons I loved this thread so much, was that it was the perfect example of "it" ( the farmgirl title) takes in the whole bunch of us.. the girlie girls and the tom boys and all the in betweenz...

Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3324 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3324 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  2:32:59 PM  Show Profile
I absolutely go no where without applying my lipstick even if it is just to the mailbox and back! Always, have. Always will!

Melody
http://melodynotes-melodynotes.blogspot.com
www.bythebayhandcraftedsoap.com
www.LemonVerbenasoap.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Forrester Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

703 Posts

Ann
Belmont MI
USA
703 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  3:17:52 PM  Show Profile
Lipstick is my must have make-up! I could give everything else up if I had to, but just feel "dressed" with lipstick on!

Ann
Forrester Farm
www.forresterfarm.com
www.forresterfarm.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  7:14:08 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I am a lip gloss girl, and I love alittle mascara the older I get.

Go to Top of Page

Janneane Hazlip
True Blue Farmgirl

67 Posts

Janneane
Fort Scott Kansas
USA
67 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  9:12:17 PM  Show Profile
If a barn needs painting, paint it. I would hate to scare the UPS guy to death or anyone else unexpected, love bare minerals make up, takes about 2 seconds to apply and makes a world of difference!!Janneane
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Are you a 'lipstick' farm girl? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page